- Text Size +


Devon's leg was straight now. Well, it was as straight as True dared to make it. The woman had passed out on her when she'd straightened it and made it snap back into place. She had whispered her apologizes until Devon's blue eyes fluttered back open.

"True, sweetheart, you did amazing. Feels better. So much better." Devon closed her eyes again, taking a shaking breath. "Do you have any water? I'm thirsty..."

True nodded quickly. "I have some in my pack. Food, too." Her hands shook as she finally remembered the pack that was strapped to her back. She managed to get it off and around between her and Devon. She couldn't stop her hands from shaking. "You think my Dad is lookin' for us?" She didn't want to be out here anymore. She never wanted to run away again.

Devon tried to focus on her voice. She gave a slight nod. "I'm sure of it, True." She didn't let on that it might take them awhile to realize they were missing. She just hoped that her gear hadn't been damaged in the crash. She had switched it off to give her and True privacy. "But why don't we try and contact them by gear so they know where we are?" She shifted her head, feeling the sting of pain. "Can you get it for me? It's in my left coat pocket."

- -

Uly had bundled up, intent on going with John. He had his winter boots that were way too big when a large hand came down on his shoulder. "I'm going. Don't you say I can't." He turned looking up into the large man's big blue eyes. "Please?"

John just shook his head. He had no idea what he'd find out there and he wasn't risking it. He slipped his gear onto his head, crouching low. "I'm going alone, Sport. So you'll have me on gear any time you need me. Okay?"

Uly didn't like it, but he knew that he had to do what he was told. His mother would have his hide if he didn't. He didn't like that disappointed look she gave him when he did something bad. "Okay. But you'd better keep it on." Everyone in camp knew John's hatred for the thing when he was off doing what he felt necessary.

John leaned closer to Uly. He gave his word. "It's going to be on until I find True and your Mom." He stood, squaring his shoulder. "If I'm not back in two hours or haven't given word that I've found them. I want you all to follow the plans I have mapped out. Uly seen them head this direction." He pointed toward the southeastern side of their camp. "That's the way I'm headed. Any luck they're on their way back."

- -

The gear popped and cracked and went live. It had taken a beating and the audio was the only thing intact. "Danziger? Yale? Bess? Anyone?"

"Devon? Is True with you?" Danziger's voice rang true to her ear.

She held her breath, unable to hide the emotion she was feeling. "Yes. John, there's been accident. True's fine. She's perfect even." She knew she had to alleviate those fears right from the start.

"But you're not, Adair?" He switched their conversation to private as soon as he'd heard there had been an accident. The camp didn't need to know this before he knew the full extent of what happened.

"Leg is broken. Banged my head real good. Hurts, but other than that..." She trailed off, trying to let the wave of pain dissipate. After a beat, she continued, "True's a big help. Aren't you, sweetheart?"

"Oh, Daddy. I am so, so sorry. I was bad....". True started, but Devon took her hand and gave it a squeeze.

John could hear the pain and sincerity in her voice, but they couldn't deal with that now. They had bigger problems at hand. He'd handle her running away when he had the whole story to deal with. He took a shaky breath. "True-girl, you listen to me, okay?" He heard her sniffle her response and continued, "I'm on my way to get you. And Devon. But I don't know where you are exactly. I don't know which direction in which you headed. Can you remember anything? Either of you."

Devon's eyes rolled back slightly into her head. She tried so hard to focus on his words. "I just remember falling." She squeezed True's hand gently. "What about you?"

True swallowed hard and set into giving him a blow by blow of everything she could remember. Right down to the earth giving way and swallowing up Devon and her trying not to fall as she made her way down to her.

"Good girl, True. Good girl. Now you just keep the gear on, okay? I'm going to have the others pinpoint your location by the transmitter. I'm going to be there as soon as I can and get you out of there. Okay?" John switched off with the two of them, using the gear to contact Uly and the others. He requested to speak to whomever was in the Navigation tent.

It was only a matter of minutes before they had their location squared away. He started to trudge through the snow, intent to get to them as quickly as possible. Yale walked him through the coordinates and the route. The snow made it even harder to navigate, but they managed to get him where he needed to be.

"True? Honey, can you hear me?" He yelled out.

- -

True had moved her legs under Devon's head. She stroked her hair and whispered her apologizes between sniffles. The woman had lost consciousness. She was frightened to be left alone. She wiped her nose on her coat sleeve and had just started to beg Devon to wake up when she heard him yell her name.

"Oh, Daddy. Down here. We're down here!" She moved Devon's head gently to the ground, using her pack as a makeshift pillow. "Daddy?"

And then she saw his head peaking over the side. Tears slid down her cheeks. "She passed out or somethin'. She won't wake up."

John was just happy to have his eyes on them both. Especially True. He met her eyes. "Did you fall too?"

She point to the wall. "Almost. But I climbed down there." She jumped a bit. "But you can't climb out there. I tried." She moved back to Devon and crouched down. "We gotta get Julia, Daddy."

John pushed himself up, activated his gear, and closed his eyes. "Camp this is Danziger. Come in. Coordinates are off by a half a click. South of the via point. We need rope and strong backs. Devon's unconscious and a broken leg. Need some kind of stretcher. Stat." He signed off, tossing his jacket to the side and then his gear.

"True-girl, can you check Devon's neck or wrist?" He walked her through how to check Devon's life stats. He let out a breath. "She's probably just passed out from pain and exhaustion. They'll be here soon. We'll have you both out of there. Promise."

- -

Devon's eyes fluttered as she felt herself being lifted slightly. She tried to speak but she felt a plunger being pressed against her neck, and all she felt next was a state of euphoria. "True, sweetheart..." she muttered.

"It's okay, Devon. We're being rescued. Can you help me get you on this thing?" True was struggling to move her any closer. "They're going to lift you out."

Devon's eyes locked on True. "You're first. You tell them I said you first..." She held tightly to the girl's hand. "Please? I don't want you left down here without me." She focused on True's face. She called out, "John Danziger..."

His head appeared over the edge. "Devon, we're going to have you out of there and in Julia's hands. Just gotta help True get you on that board so we can lift you out. Can you do that?" His hands slipped, causing him to almost tumble in head first had Alonzo not caught him by the arm. "We don't have time to argue, Adair. Listen to me for once. Don't be mule headed..."

Devon's eyes widened, fearful for any of them to get hurt. She swallowed hard, looking at True. "Sweetheart, are you okay with this? I won't go up if you're not." True hugged her then pulled back. She whispered, "Okay. I'll be waiting up there for you. Okay?"