- Text Size +


Devon laid on her back as she stared up at the ceiling. Even though Julia had cleared her earlier that morning, she had gotten tired of everyone jumping up to do whatever it was she had set out to do. She’d given up and retired to her room inside the bio-dome. A frown creased her brow as she heard arguing outside the door. “Uly? True? Is that you? You can both come in.”

She sat up, trying not to wince at the lingering pain in her leg. She figured that she was lucky considering she had broken her leg in two places. One above and one below her knee.

The door opened, and two heads peeked around the door frame. “Yale said we weren’t to bother you if you were sleeping,” Uly informed her.

True piped up. “Not sure if you could sleep with all that racket he was makin’ out in the hall.” She stepped into the room first. Now that Devon was sitting up there was no reason to be lingering in the hallway.

Devon held out both arms to the children. “I was feeling rather lonely so you two are just what I needed.” Both kids were in her arms before she finished speaking. She hugged them both tightly. “I hope no one was worried about me. I’m going to be just fine. Bones are already all healed up.”

The pain had been excruciating. So much that she had momentarily blacked out from it. When she had woken up, John was holding her hand. She vaguely remembered him kissing her knuckles and smoothing back her hair.

She felt them pull away and met True’s eyes. “And you? How are you? I see they dragged you up out of that cavern in one piece. I hope you weren’t frightened.”

True shook her head. “No, ma’am. I’m tough enough. Just like my Dad.” She puffed out her chest, but she gave Devon an embarrassed smile. “I’m supposed to say sorry. You now, for getting us in that mess. You could’ve died or me, and then Daddy would have been so broken up, and it’d have been all my fault .” Her fingers twisted and turned behind her back, showing off just how scared she truly was. “I shouldn’t be jealous. Dad’s gotta lot of heart. I can share.”

Devon smiled at her and reached to pull her back to her so the girl could sit on her lap. She hugged her tight and whispered, “Just remember, True. I want to be your friend. I care so much about your Dad and you. I love you both very much.” She felt True return the hug just as tightly.

Uly tilted his head a bit. “Does this mean True and me got to share a tent?” He wrinkled his nose. “Cause I don’t know about this…”

True leapt off Devon’s lap as a knock sounded, and John poked his head in. “C’mon, Uly. We should let your mom rest.” She moved to pull her Dad into the room. “Think my Dad needs to talk to your Mom anyway. We can work out sleeping arrangements later. Bye, Daddy. Bye, Devon.”

John chuckled softly as both of the kids disappeared and left them alone. Then suddenly it hit him that they were completely alone inside the bio-dome. He fidgeted from one foot to another. “How you feelin’, Adair?”

"So it’s back to that, huh?" She patted the bed beside her. "C’mon, John. I need a little comfort." She was no longer afraid to let her vulnerable side show. He’d already convinced her that he was good for the long haul.

He moved slowly, seating himself beside her. Opening his arms to her, he found that he was finally at peace with both of his girls safe and sound. “Scared the hell out of me, Devon. I can’t believe she ran away…but for you to go after her like that… I can’t thank you enough.”

She raised her head and shook it gently from side to side. “We’re family. I wanted, or needed really, for her to trust me. I had no idea that was going to happen.” She winced. “But I was sure glad she was there. Saved my life.” That wasn’t necessarily true from a medical standpoint, but she knew True and herself had shared something truly sacred in that cavern. Something that wouldn’t easily be forgotten.”

He cupped her cheek gently and stroked the pad of his thumb across it. “Jealousy runs in our blood something awful. Hope you can handle it. Probably won’t be the last time it rears its ugly head.”

"I can handle anything, John. So long as you and True don’t leave Uly and I." They were already a family in her eyes. And in her heart.

"Not going anywhere, Devon." He sealed his promise with a kiss.

- -

John grabbed a backpack and tossed it onto the dunerail before hurrying back toward the biodome. Opening the door, he bellowed inside, “Devon, I’m leaving in five minutes. With or without you. So if you’re comin’, better get the lead out.” He let the door slam shut behind him. A smile graced his lips.

Bess smiled as she met him along the pathway. “You and Devon have fun now. Take your time, and don’t worry about a thing. Both kids will be just fine. Morgan and me, we got this.” And Yale would be there to help with Uly.

He gave her a curt nod and finally a smile. “Never doubted you for a second, Bess. And we’ll check in on gear as soon as we can. Everyone knew their destination but Devon, and he planned to keep it that way.

- -

The dunerail came to a halt outside the cave that held the spider tunnels. Devon frowned. “Something wrong with the rail, John? Why are we stopping? We got a lot of daylight. We can’t waste it.”

"We’re goin’ through here." He was already pulling on the pack and securing it around his waist with a loud snap of the buckle. "C’mon, Devon. I got this whole thing planned. Wouldn’t do it if I didn’t feel it was safe." He reached to take her hand and helped her to stand.

"Yes, you would…" she countered as she lay her hand in his. Anxiety filled her from head to toe. Something could go wrong, and they’d end up who knew where.

"You’re right. I would, but where is your sense of adventure? Huh, Adair?" He squeezed her hand. "Besides you don’t have a choice." He was prepared to carry her through if need arose.

"Alright. Alright. I’ll go." She leaned up then, planting a kiss on his cheek. "You best not screw this up, Danziger."

He winked at her as he turned his gear on and announced their location and when they hoped to make contact again. He powered down, securing them in a zippered pocket on his coat before taking her hand again and moving inside.

An adventure awaited them. One she had no idea about. And that made it all that more exciting for him.