- Text Size +


Devon’s relief at Uly’s being returned was evident around camp. She was hovering, becoming that helicopter Mom once more, and she was just about to warn him for the umpteenth time to be careful when John’s voice rang out.

"Give the kid a break, Adair. He’s unharmed, and they have made that promise." He wasn’t the Terrian’s biggest fan by any means, but he knew they’d done alright by the kid.

She whirled around on him, intent to give whomever was that dared to question her parental skills a tongue lashing they wouldn’t soon forget, but she stopped in her tracks when she saw it was him. Her mouth snapped shut. She slumped against the rover and let out a deflated sigh. “I know, Danziger, but I can’t help it. He’s my son.”

He moved closer to her, hands shoved in his pockets as the air grew colder as the sun sank from sight. “I know, Devon, but he’s okay. He’s in one piece, and you got their word. Didn’t you?”

She nodded slowly. “Until the next thing comes up, and they need his help. John, what if they take him away from me one day, and I never see him again?” She moved her hands to her face, ashamed at the tears that fell down her cheeks.

"Uly loves you. He’s the link for a reason. They can’t take him, or that link is for nothing. Right?" He reached up, gently taking her hands from her face and squeezing them. "He’s not goin’ anywhere." And that was a promise John Danziger was going to fight like hell to keep.

She took a shaky breath, and then she nodded. “But in the meantime, I have to learn to relax, right?” She gave him one of her most sincere smiles. “I’m trying, John.”

"Good girl." He held her hands just a few beats longer, and then let them go. "C’mon. We can get a jump on those scouting routes. Food won’t find itself."