- Text Size +


Devon climbed wordlessly into the rail. The mood was somber. An ache in the pit of her stomach that wouldn't be quieted. Danziger had risked his life for her. He'd taken a life. A precious life, and she had no words to express her gratitude. She had no words to fix the darkness she'd seen well into his eyes.

He sat behind the wheel, instructing his inquisitive child to stay bundled up. His tone had been so stern that she'd done exactly as she'd been told and hadn't uttered a peep in an hour. His lips were a drawn straight line. His hands curled tight around the wheel.

She was certain that his knuckles were bone white inside the gloves. She started to speak so many times, only to stop herself. No words would make up for the loss he'd just experienced, and maybe she was frightened of what he'd say in return.

Just as she had opened her mouth, he spoke, "I'd do it a million times over." And it was as simple as that. His heart ached was pulled in every which direction, and his confusion was evident. He had started to see her in a way he hadn't before, and then Sheppard came into their lives.

And blew it all to hell again.

She took a shaky breath and whispered, "I don't know what came over me. I didn't know him. Yet, he was in here." Her gloved hand came up to indicate her head. "The more distance between us and him, and I feel this hold being lifted. I don't know..."

"He helped bring you here. Part of you feels like you owe him. I get it, Devon." He turned his head. "Just don't know if I can forget it that quickly. Gonna take time. Ok?" He swallowed hard and let out a breath. his breath fogged out in front of him. "But we're good, yeah?"