- Text Size +


His eyes lingered on Devon a moment too long. Across the winter camp, her head lifted. Her smile was soft. He gave a slight nod and a short wave to acknowledge her. Then her feet began to carry her closer to him, and he wasn’t sure he was ready for what was to come.

"Devon," he said softly, making space for her to join him on the edge of the rover. "Everything okay?" He tilted his head as he watched her.

"Yeah. Just don’t feel like sleeping." She nudged him a bit. "You’ve been tinkering with this thing. Haven’t you buffed out all the dents days ago?" She loved how devoted he was to his job. She could always count on John no matter what.

He gave a slight chuckle. “Just triple and quadruple checking, I guess.” He pointed at the Nav tent. “No different than you pouring over our mapped destination. Not like a quicker, safer route will pop out of nowhere if you keep staring at it.”

"Touche." She puffed out her chest and let a breath out slowly. She glanced up at the twin moons. "You best be ready for a tongue lashing and then some if you scare me like you did today."

He chuckled. “Hey. I’m not the one that ripped my jacket off, lady. You did.” He nudged her. “But next time, I’ll make sure to hold on a bit tighter. How’s that?”

"Perfect."