- Text Size +


Devon was there waiting on the three of them when they returned from sledding. All of them had rosy pink cheeks and cold noses. She pointed to the table and told the children. "Drink up before it gets cold."

She turned to Danziger and smiled. "So did it work?" She helped him pull his wet gloves off and frowned. "You all should have come in sooner. You'll freeze to death. Let me get you a cup of hot coffee." She turned, but his hand on her hip stopped her.

"What do you know that I don't? I mean, earlier you sounded so sure that those two were going to be just fine. I'd like to know where this confidence comes from, or is it another bit of that Adair optimism?"

She smiled warmly up at him. "Because we're family. All of us, and those two are the only ones that act like it most of the time." She patted his shoulder and moved to get him that much needed cup of coffee. She couldn't help but frown at the loss of contact from him, but quickly shook it off.

She poured him a steaming mug and passed it to him. "Here. This should help." She turned her attention to the kids. "So did you two have fun?"

"Yes!" They both cried out in unison. They looked at one another and giggled.

"Devon, you should have seen my Dad's face! He went down this huge hill and his eyes were this big." She used her hands to indicate that his eyes had gotten really wide.

"Oh, gosh! Mom, it was hilarious!" He stood up in his seat and flailed his arms around and mock screamed. "That was Mr. Danziger!" He giggled as he hopped off the chair and sat back down.

John shook his head. "Traitors! Both of you." He let out a soft chuckle. "It wasn't much different when the pair of you went down it. Now was it?" He sipped at his coffee. He loved the look of pure joy on the kids' faces.

Devon smirked. "Beginning to wish I'd gone with the three of you. Sounds a lot more fun than looking over the geo stats."

"We're going out later. Aren't we, Dad? You could come then!" True finished her cup. "Now we have to go see Yale about a biology lesson. Yuck! Come on, Uly!"

Uly jumped up, pushing his chair back under the table. "Coming!"

Devon turned to Danziger. "Thanks for including him."

"No problem."