- Text Size +


Devon leaned against the door frame of John and True's room in the biodome. She watched as he put his kid to bed. She wrapped her arms around herself and swallowed the lump in her throat.

He kissed True's head then turned to leave. He met her eyes. The tears in his eyes weren't hidden. He'd shown them all his soft underbelly, and he'd be damned if he'd try and hide it now. "Hey. Something wrong?"

She waited until he was standing in front of her before she whispered, "For what it's worth, you saved their lives. And your own. You came back to her..." She gestured at True with her head. "And me." Her hands trembled as she reached out to touch him.

Her fingers curled into the material of his shirt and rested just above his hip bones as they jutted out. Her head fell forward and rested against his chest.

His arms went tight around her, burying his face in her dark hair. He whispered, "I was terrified. Had I known..." He slowed back the lump in his throat. "Hell, Devon. I'm not sure I'd have done it any differently."

"Doesn't make you bad, John." Her hands moved from his hips to his back, pressing her smaller body harder into his larger one. "Just going to take time."

He nodded slowly. They stood like that for a long time until Morgan's voice carried to them in search of Devon. "Better go. You know how Morgan gets when he's on about something."

She pulled away and touched his chest. "You come find me if you need to talk?"

He cupped her cheek and gave a slight nod. "You bet."