- Text Size +


Devon's heart sank. She'd buried the man twice now. This time there was no mistaking him for dead. He truly was dead. She felt tears sting her eyes. One escaped to roll halfway down her cheek, and she quickly brushed it away when she heard footsteps approaching.

Danziger frowned, knowing he'd caught her at a moment of weakness. He looked down at his feet sheepishly as he placed his hands on his hips. "Sorry," his voice carried softly to her. He still had his suspicions of Gaal, but he knew she had to have more to go on than his gut.

"Don't be. These things happen..." She squared her shoulders, intent to just walk passed him. His hand on her shoulder stopped her.

He met her eyes, searching her dark blue hues. "You did everything you could do, Devon. We all know how he got. Half cocked and trigger happy." He squeezed her shoulder gently before letting his hand fall back to his side.

She gave him a grateful smile. "He's just been an important part of all this from the start." She let out a shaky breath before taking a step closer to him. "It was his stubbornness that made me choose him. I knew he'd get Uly here, and he did."

"Then we'll make sure he's not forgotten." He bent slightly, making sure their eyes met. "I'll make sure of that." He shoved a hand into his pocket.

She nodded, already knowing by now that when he set his mind to something that it got done. "How are the vehicles holding up? Will we be able to leave as scheduled?" They'd already put a damper on their journey with the backtracking they'd done to return to the place in which they'd buried O'Neill. Tomorrow they had to set out on their journey towards New Pacifica and make new ground in record time.

He nodded slowly. "No reason as of yet why we shouldn't." So long as everyone left the maintenance up to him and didn't try to monkey around with things they knew nothing about.

She gave a nod. "Good. I'd like to be on the road by sun up or shortly there after." Soon as they packed everything away. "Think True wants to keep Uly company tomorrow? I'd like him to ride more than walk. I know you think I'm overreacting, but I worry. I've spent his whole life worrying. Old habits die hard."

He understood where she was coming from, and he didn't mean to come off as unfeeling. He gestured toward a boulder large enough for them both, and sat down first. "Your his Mom. I shouldn't be so vocal 'bout things sometimes. I just remember being a boy his age. It's hard to learn how to be a man when you're being smothered."

She took it all in stride. She looked past his choice of words, understood his intent, and sat down beside him. Their knees were touching. "I'll have to try and remember that, Danziger."

He leaned forward, placing one elbow on his knee as he watched her. She was more than what she appeared, and he knew he was only scratching the surface where she was concerned. He'd underestimated her. And he knew it now.

Never judge a book by its cover. Or in this case, an Adair. Something he'd learned from his own Mother many years ago. He shifted his eyes to the flames thirty feet away just in time to see both True and Uly settling at Yale's feet. He half wondered what adventure awaited them tonight.

"I'm glad you and True are here. Uly needed a friend." She did, too, but they were grown up. No need to speak of it.

"Me too, Devon. Me too."