- Text Size +


Danziger couldn't shake the feeling that leaving Devon behind was the biggest mistake they'd made to date on this messed up journey. The memory of her in his arms was still tangible. She'd been so frail. So tired. So sick.

And they'd just left her.

He turned his head toward the seat beside him. Uly sat next to him. The boy was trying so hard to be brave, but how could a nine year old kid really understand? He gripped the rail's wheel even tighter.

"We're going back for your Mom as soon as we have the equipment to get her to New Pacifica safely." He'd be damned if they were going to risk what little life she had in her for a less than sure thing.

Uly nodded. "You don't have to make me promises, Mr. John. I trust you and Dr. Julia." Besides even if they couldn't bring his mom back, the terrians could. He just had to convince them.

John put an arm on Uly's shoulder and squeezed gently. "Until then, you'll be bunking with True and me. Promised your Mom that I'd keep you in one piece. You just gotta meet me half way. Okay, Sport?"

Uly nodded. "Okay."

John returned his attention to the terrain in front of them. The more distance between him and Devon, the more the weight in his chest almost suffocated him, but still, they pressed on.

It was the only choice they had.