- Text Size +


Devon approached the outskirts of their camp. She spoke softly, "Mind if I join you?"

He turned his head, glancing at her. He gave a slight nod. It was well past bedtime, and neither was on night watch. It seemed like neither of them would be getting much sleep tonight. He let out a soft sigh. "This is a big planet, Adair. Why'd we have to run into the likes of him?"

She crossed her arms over her chest. "Not sure, Danziger, but the truth is you got through it. True, as well. That counts for something, right?" She turned then, facing him.

Danziger gave a short nod. "Suppose that's true."

"I know it's not much." She met his eyes in the moonlight. "But it's all I have." She started to head back to camp, intent on getting some navigation work done.

"Hey, Devon?" He turned once she got passed him. "Wanna talk a turn around the perimeter?" He wasn't going to spell it out for her, but he could use the company right now.

Devon stopped, turning to face him. She didn't let him see the smile that had graced her lips at his suggestion. She nodded slowly. "Sure. Can't ever be too careful."

He relaxed considerably at not being alone with his thoughts. He didn't start walking until she did. He wanted them to be on equal footing. Something she was handling better than him. He was too busy stating his independence to really make a friend with her. And it was time to change.

She remained quiet as they made it a good portion around the camp, then her voice cut into the darkness. "John, you're a good father. If that's what you're doubting, then don't." She felt her heart quickening at just putting it out there. "Not that it's any of my business."

He shook his head. "Don't. You feel you got something to say, say it. I know I haven't held back. Deserve it." He gave a soft smile and then nodded. "You really think so, Devon? That I'm doing okay raising True?" He just hoped it was enough to protect her.

Devon nodded. "Of course. Wouldn't have said it if I didn't mean it." She nudged him, giving him a slight chuckle. "You know me."

He stopped walking, shifting from one foot to the other. "I thought I did. Turns out, I was wrong, but I am enjoying getting to know you like this."

She stepped into him, touching his arm. She gave it a gentle squeeze. "Good. Now get your legs moving. I'm exhausted."

They finished their walk around the perimeter and stopped in between their respective tents.

"Hey, Adair?"

"Yeah, Danziger?"

"Sweet dreams..." Danziger turned, moving through the flap of his tent.

"Sweet dreams, John." Instead of passing through her own tent flap to a sleeping Uly, she moved to get the Navigation tent. There was still a lot of work to do.