- Text Size +


Devon had seen True slipping away from the fire, and then finally from camp and toward where her father and Baines were in quarantine. She knew the girl needed to see him with her own eyes before she'd be able to get any kind of rest. She stayed a short distance behind her, giving her privacy, but she had been ready to intercede if need be.

When True started to make her way back, their eyes met. She looked down at her feet. "I was just saying good night." Her hands were shoved deep in her pockets. She struggled to fight the tears, but they won out in the end. It was then that she felt Devon's arms around her.

Pulling her hands free from her pockets, she wrapped her arms around Devon's waist, crying quietly. She never wanted to let go. Her quiet sobs gave way to sniffles, and then finally hiccups. She looked up at Devon. "Is my Dad going to die?"

Devon cupped her cheek, wiping away the tear tracks with her thumb. She shook her head. "Julia's working on a cure, True. We're not going to let anything happen to your Dad." She hugged her once more, guiding her toward camp.

"I want you to sleep in our tent tonight. You can have my bed. I made a promise to your Dad that I'd personally tuck you in, and I plan to keep that promise." She took her by the hand.

True held tightly to Devon's hand, letting her imagination run wild. She'd never had a mother, but she imagined that it was a lot like this.