- Text Size +


Devon sat near the fire. She had a lot going through her head, but it was mostly what Bess had said. She just couldn't seem to shake it. Her eyes moved up to where the two moons had risen high in the sky. She closed them tight, sending up her own private wish. As footsteps approached, she turned her head, meeting the eyes of her late night visitor.

Danziger handed her a steaming cup. He held her gaze for a few moments before he gave up and decided to take a seat close by. "Wanna talk?"

They'd butted heads enough on this trip. Their mismatched band of followers looked to them both to lead. She was giving more on her end, and he was giving less, but she still welcomed and appreciated his advice. "Sure. Something on your mind?"

"Not particular..." He nudged her a bit. "But something's on your's. So why don't you start?"

Devon's hands wrapped tighter around the mug, taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly. "Danziger, I'm not sure you're the right one for me to be asking, but Bess said some things that have me..."

"Upset?" He gathered. "Never seen you so quiet. You ever think that Bess' real frustration is at that lazy husband of hers? She doesn't stand up to him, but she doesn't share a tent with you. Easier to go off on a rant. Don't you think?"

Her eyes cut over to him, thinking it over for a long moment. She shrugged. "I don't know. She seems to be in the same camp as you. Thinks me bossy and arrogant." She chose not to mince words. Something she learned from him.

He winced a bit at her word choices. His head gave a slight nod. "Suppose that was true when we first crashed here,but things change." So do people. He swallowed back the lump in his throat. "Devon, I'm not going to say that I like the way you do things all the time, but you've kept us going. I won't deny that." And he knew that she'd keep them going until they got where they were going. And she'd do anything to keep them alive. All of them. Regardless of the time lost that they could have made it closer to New Pacifica.

Her eyes cut over to him, taking in what he was saying, pulling it deep into her heart to lock it away for another day that she'd need them. She moved her hand, laying it over his arm and giving it a squeeze. "Where is Danziger, and what have you done with him?" she teased, giving him a genuine smile that actually lit up her eyes. He was the bane of her existence when this whole thing started, and now, she found that she couldn't make the harder decisions for their group without his consent.

He leaned over, knocking into her playfully. He shook his head as a soft chuckle rumbled through his chest. "Watch it, Adair. I might think we're actually becoming friends." He winked at her before standing up to retire to his tent. "Gonna grab some sleep before my shift. Why don't you do the same? You're not on watch duty tonight, Devon. Go on."

She stood up, giving him a slight nod as she did so. "Thanks, Danziger."

"Anytime, Adair. Anytime."