- Text Size +


Danziger's clothes were finally starting to dry after the water fight with Devon and the kids. He laid himself out against a shaded almost flat boulder and closed his eyes to catch a mid-afternoon nap.

It was almost too hot to do anything else. Even the kids were laying low in the heat. A record for True especially. He could use the downtime. He was still exhausted from their overnight adventure. One he wasn't sure he wanted to remember all the details too.

Things shifted for the pair of them. They'd spoken some truths, aired some secrets, and there wasn't any way in which to put them back in the vault. He let out a groan at the memory of being tied to to that dirt wall with her. He'd been terrified for their lives, but she'd terrified him in another way.

For the first time since losing Eleanor Moore, he was physically attracted to someone else. She was a spitfire just like Elle had been. And at first, he thought that was the reason, but something struck a cord deep within him. And he was finding it harder and harder to fight it.

She was going to make this journey a living hell. She already had, and they were only a few weeks into it. She was constantly optimistic. Too optimistic. Maybe it was growing up in the Quadrant that made him jaded. He didn't know for sure, but she was making him question every decision he'd ever made.

And that didn't sit well with him. Not one bit.

A twig snapped to his left. Anyone else would have jumped sky high, demanded answers, but not John Danziger. Besides he already knew who it was. "Don't be shy, Adair. Pull up a rock." He opened one eye and glanced up at her when she finally moved into his line of vision.

"You're hogging the only one in the shade. Scoot over. Plenty of room for both of us, don't you think?"

Danziger shifted, scooting to the very edge of the rock as he stole another glance at her. His heart beat quickened in his chest. Pounding for all it was worth.

A living hell. And he couldn't wait to enjoy every last minute of it.