- Text Size +


Danziger hated letting her go, but both of their virtual reality dates seemed impatient to be standing on the sidelines. He couldn’t help but let the scent of her invade his nostrils as he whispered softly, “Save me a slow song?”

Devon’s cheeks colored faintly and gave her head a little bob to acknowledge that she had indeed heard him and would do just that. She happened to enjoy weddings, but it was so long ago that she had forgotten how to let loose. Until he had dragged her onto the dance floor.

Now she was in the arms of some random virtual man that she assumed Bess or Morgan picked out as her date, and she couldn’t have wanted more than to be in the arms of the man doing his own version of the Tango across the room.

It had been a shocking change to see him all cleaned up and dressed to the nines. And she found she liked him better just the way he was, but damn. He got her blood to boiling.

Danziger kept sneaking looks at Devon as he danced with his unnamed redhead. She kept trying to pull him into conversations with her, and she had finally gotten a clue and just quit trying. His eyes snapped to the floor when Devon had caught him watching. His heartbeat quickened just as the song ended and a slow one took his place. “Excuse me. I promised someone this dance.”

She had already dismissed her date and stared at him as he moved through the other dancing couples and straight to her. “Hoped you hadn’t forgotten…” Her hand slipped gently into his as he pulled her forward and both hands encircled her waist.

His lips moved close to her ear. “A man of my word, Devon…” He pulled her even closer, swaying slowly to the music. His head rested against hers as he kept her as close as she would allow.

Something was shifting, changing them somehow. And neither could deny that they hadn’t felt it. It was in the way they were with one another and each other’s kids. Filling a void that both children hadn’t ever known they even needed.

And as suddenly as the song began it was over. They parted slowly, eyes downcast.

"Thanks," she breathed.

"Any time, Devon. Any time."