- Text Size +


John walked along. The pace was quick enough that he was slightly winded. They'd packed up two hours before daylight and got on the move. The route was completely different than the one Julia had been privy to, and it added a good day to their journey.

But they'd taken a vote.

He was lost in thought until he felt her presence beside him and glanced over at her. He could see the pinched expression on her face. "Weren't just you that had us drivin' away, Adair. We took a vote." One that he'd voted in favor of. "Ain't no fault to be had in that."

Devon let out a breath. "Talking about it in theory is not like doing it in reality, John. Julia was part of us. You wouldn't be here right now if not for her. We're in trouble if any of us take sick or get hurt. Sure, we all know basic first aid, but none of us can perform surgery or come up with vaccines for whatever we come across on this planet."

There were still so many unknowns on this planet. And they were vulnerable now without their doctor. But it had felt right at the time.

Just not now.

He slid an arm around her shoulders, giving her a one armed hug and spoke softly, "We all made the choice, Devon. You have to stop taking on so much. You gave us the voice. She was experimenting on your son, Adair. Christ! Had that been True..." He shook his head, not wanting to say out loud what he was thinking.

She turned her face up to his and met his eyes. "I still don't know the lasting effects of what she did to him. To any of us..."

"Then that's reason enough to let it go. We're going to get to New Pacifica without her. We just have to trust one another." He gave her shoulders another squeeze.

She nodded slowly. Now she just had to let it go. She laid her hand on his stomach, giving a soft squeeze. "I'll try."