- Text Size +


Legends II : LEGENDS OF LOVE. (7/9)
by Nicole Mayer

"Doctor Julia Heller, beloved friend, wife and mother." The weathered inscription seemed cold and impersonal to the girl standing by the old grave. The once-ornate headstone had become corroded over time and now it was only one grey tablet amongst so many others.

Gillian Brody strained to make out the remainder of the inscription. She could faintly see the word 'love', but the other words were too faint to be seen.

A solitary tear trickled from Gillian's cheek. Here was the final resting place of one of the bravest heroes in the history of G889 and everyone had forgotten her. Even the legends of Eden Advance barely mentioned the heroic doctor.

Closing her eyes, Gillian imagined the agony that Alonzo Solace and Ulysses Adair must have felt when they realised that they were helpless - Alonzo's futile search at the bottom of the cliffs, and his grief when he finally found her, while Walman contacted a fearful Uly stranded near the top of the mountain.

Her mind drifted back in time, and, almost against her will, the scene replayed itself in Gillian's mind...

"Julia!" Alonzo screamed. Frantically, he adjusted the controls on his gear, but received nothing more than the horrifying static that had appeared moments before. He had seen her falling, seen the cliffs rushing past her, seen the look of death in her eyes...his Julia...

Alonzo tore off his gear, and shouted to Walman, "Faster! We have to get there...Julia fell!" His voice was full of more agony and pain than Walman had ever heard, but Walman could not push the vehicle any more. It was already travelling beyond its safety limit.

Frantic, Alonzo threw his gear on the floor. A torrential downpour had begun which blurred his vision, yet the image of Julia's terrified face was imprinted on his mind. He stared out towards the cliffs which grew closer with every passing second, not feeling the stinging rain on his face. Nothing mattered except getting to her.

He would not believe that she was dead, not until he had found her, and held her in his arms.

"Julia!" he screamed into the wind. How could he live without her?

He suddenly realised that Walman was on their original heading, to a point some way east from where Julia fell. He leaned down and wrenched the steering away from Walman. "We've gotta find her!" he shouted. "There's still a chance, there has to be!"

Alonzo felt sick to his stomach as they approached the cliffs. The ancient monolith had been there for an eternity, and loomed high above the tiny vehicle. The man realised with horror that no one, no matter who they were or how much they were loved, could survive a fall from that distance. Not even Julia, the maker of miracles herself.

He would never forgive himself for fighting with her. Their last moments together had been strained, ruined over petty issues and inconsequential debates that Alonzo could no longer recall. If only he hadn't been so stubborn! If only he'd listened to his heart.

The wind sheared past the rock, the gale buffeting the vehicle as if it were no more than a toy. The storm had reached its full fury, demonstrating the violence of nature. And this particular tempest had exacted its vengeance.

"Julia!" shouted Alonzo futilely, for the wind stole away his words the moment they left his lips. "JULIA!" They reached the point metres below her last know position, and Alonzo jumped from the vehicle.

In the next few instants, time seemed to stop. Blood hammered in Alonzo's ears to match the terrible thudding sound of his heart; each beat reminding him that he was alive in this fury while Julia...oh, Julia... Life slowed down into a series of stark images, and Alonzo was reminded of dreaming with the Terrians. But this was frighteningly real.

A flash of the towering, indifferent cliffs. A glint of broken gear lying near a puddle. And, to the left, a small, crumpled form...

Suddenly, Alonzo wanted to run away, to run forever from this terrible place. The rain obscured his vision, but did not take away the fleeting image of the misshapen body that was nothing at all like his wife. If only he could avoid the truth...but he could never do that. He owed her. More than that, he loved her.

With each step Alonzo took, the dreadful certainty pounded its way through his body. She was dead...she was dead...yet he did not truly believe it until he gathered her in his arms.

He did not notice the terrible injuries, the bruises and the blood. Alonzo's full attention was on the face of Julia Heller, the woman he loved, the only woman he would ever love. Her eyes were closed and he gently brushed aside a lock of her blonde hair.

Her face was infinitely peaceful, and the hint of a smile curved at her lips. But there was no denying the fact that she was gone.

"Julia," Alonzo whispered. He said her name over and over again. He brought his lips to hers for one last kiss, hoping desperately for a miracle, that the power of his love would bring her back to him.

Yet nothing happened. As Alonzo drew back and took a hopeful look at her face, he was struck by the finality of her death. "NO!" he screamed, throwing his head back into the wind and the rain. He cursed the heavens for taking Julia from him, screaming forever. "NO!"

Thunder and wind screeched around his drawn out cries, not caring one iota about the sorrow that had been caused. The rain poured down, and Alonzo was alone.

No one ever went back to the Valley of Dreams after all. They couldn't, not after the tragedy that had occurred there. Gillian could not get the haunting images of Julia's final moments out of her mind. It was a horrible way to die.

No wonder Bess had alluded to the terrible tragedies in her life. First Devon, then her own sickness, then Julia. Two of her closest friends were lost through disastrous circumstances, and now Gillian wondered if True had survived.

And what of Uly? Gillian had never read a tale of more tragedy and suffering, even though there were moments -and yearsof happiness.

Gillian felt a sudden desire to run through the small cemetery, seeking out the fates of all the others she had grown to know and love. But she resisted. In a gesture of respect, Gillian placed a lone flower on Julia's grave. It was a brilliant yellow, the colour of the sun, and it reminded Gillian of the light that Julia had cast over so many lives. Including hers.

"I hope you're happy, Julia," whispered Gillian. Then she turned, and wandered away.

Gillian did not notice the figure of Jessie Solace slipping behind the bushes. Jessie, who was curious as to why this new girl was visiting one of her ancestors' graves. There were many mysteries and many secrets that were still held from both girls, and Jessie wondered if the truth would ever be revealed.

"Come on, Lukas," Gillian called to her brother, who was reading other headstones with a morbid fascination.

"Listen to this one, Gilly!" he exclaimed. " 'Max Taggart, age eight. Finally, he is free of the Syndrome.' I didn't know that kids died of the Syndrome!"

"I don't want to hear anymore," snapped Gillian. Bess had mentioned that several of the children weren't healed, or couldn't be healed because their parents were afraid. And what a terrible cost.

"Let's get out of here," she suddenly declared. Death lurked nearby and Gillian was afraid. She could feel -something- on the edge of her consciousness, and it was a presence that she did not understand. However, she was sure, it was not Julia.

It was time to return to Bess' novel, and learn more of the secrets of the past. Julia's life was over, but she had touched the hearts and minds of more people than she had ever imagined. And the story would go on.

Bess' words lasted beyond time, and it was these that Gillian now read. "I don't know how Ulysses Adair survived after that. The boy had lost his mother and one of his best friends, almost a second mother, in the space of a couple of months.

I shall always admire his strength to go on and survive. Instead of being consumed by his own sorrow, he turned to others, especially True, to help him get through it. True was his lifeline, because although we didn't know it yet, John Danziger was also becoming lost to us.

I watched True and Uly become closer and closer as the years passed. They had almost always been good friends and when Uly accepted the opportunity to work and study at the struggling eastern colony for a few months, True really missed him. He was only a tunnel away, but we had been warned not to use them excessively until research was completed into exactly how they affected people. The Julia Heller Memorial Department was constructed to continue her groundbreaking work, but they never did achieve the things that she had.

True used to visit me constantly during those long months and was loved dearly by my growing family. Her favourite was always Ariel, perhaps because Ari reminded her of Uly.

I was worried about True. She had a wonderful job in engineering, but her home was empty. John was silent and still, and nothing True did seemed to get through to him. He went through the motions of life, still working, but I suspected he did not sleep much at all. His eyes grew more haunted, his face greyer, each year.

I invited True and John to dinner often, hoping to bring some peace to the troubled Danziger family. But it was not until Uly returned that I saw a real smile on True's face again."

"I'm a doctor, True!" shouted Uly, lifting her in his arms and whirling her about. "A real, fully qualified doctor!" "That's wonderful, Uly," laughed True, full of joy because he was back in Devon to stay. "Your dream came true."

A shadow crossed Uly's face as he recalled the magical time in the Valley of Dreams, sharing his hopes for the future with Julia. "Hey, Uly," whispered True, "don't be sad. Remember what you have achieved." She tightened her hold on him, and Uly felt safe in her warm embrace. More than safe. He felt loved.

True's cheek was pressed to his, and Uly sensed her long strands of hair blowing around them. Ever so slowly, he pulled back a little so he could look into her eyes.

His heart pounding, Uly cautiously leaned in and kissed her on the lips. True's head was spinning, but suddenly she knew it was right, and she felt the beginnings of something new between herself and the man before her. A man who was her best friend, and now, perhaps something more. It was a new era for both of them.

"It broke John's heart when True and Uly got married," continued Bess. "He always believed that he would be the one to marry an Adair, but that option was cruelly torn from him years earlier. I can picture him now, walking True down the aisle as Ariel threw flowers and I, the matron of honour, held her veil.

It was a traditional earth-style wedding in every sense. Yale presided as minister and every remaining member of our extended family, the original Eden Advance, was present. I suspect that even Devon and Julia were there in spirit, for Uly looked so happy and content, as if he had finally overcome all the demons of the past.

A Terrian vanguard was in attendance, reminding us all that the links between our two worlds were growing stronger all of the time. So many children, and now adults, were Transformed that I often felt quite left out by not being able to reach the Dreamplane.

Nevertheless, Morgan was by my side, and with him, I always felt as if I could accomplish anything. Not that Morgan and I didn't have our problems over the years. In particular, I recall the time I caught him kissing his personal assistant Mary in his office at work. That was just before our third child, Wendy Julia Martin, was born, and both emotions and tensions had been running high in our house.

I didn't speak to Morgan for three days after that, but slowly, we began to work through our problems. And then Wendy joined our family, and she was such a wonderful child full of light and happiness that everything seemed right again. Even the pain of realising that Julia was no longer here to guide me through pregnancy and beyond was gradually diminished. We survived.

And that day, the joyous wedding, was when I realised that we had all survived to see the brave new future for humanity. We danced on the beach beneath two full moons and laughed as the waves crept up to our ankles. I don't know whose idea it was to hold the reception by the ocean, but it was a wonderful suggestion."

True drifted as if in a dream, barely feeling the soft sand beneath her feet. Her mind was focussed on only one thing - her husband, pressed close to her as they danced to the romantic melodies drifting across the shoreline.

She was the most beautiful bride Danziger had ever seen. And she was his daughter. He smiled proudly from where he sat, knowing that she, at least, would have a happy ending.

Danziger had decided long ago that he was doomed with love. First Ellie had been taken from him, and then Devon. There was no way that Danziger would allow himself to get close to another person, and now he was ready to let go of True. For he was cursed. It was his duty to release her from the darkness while she was still untouched. And who better to let her go to than the son of the woman he still loved?

Danziger picked up his drink, and took another long swig. He was sitting at one of the tables erected near the top of the beach, so if the tide came in suddenly, they wouldn't be swept away. Wiping his mouth with his hand, Danziger grunted, "Nice night for a wedding."

Alonzo was the only other table occupant, and another lonely person that night. He, too, was drinking heavily. The one who used to warn him against drinking too much alcohol had left him long ago.

"Never thought I'd see this," commented Alonzo. "I remember those two fighting like a couple of Grendlers back when we first crashed."

"Yeah." Danziger's gaze drifted from the happy couple to another generation of children. Eleven year old Ariel Martin was telling Ethan Solace about the mysteries of Mooncross, gesturing to the heavens to prove her point. From the expression on Ethan's face, Danziger felt sure that he didn't believe everything Ari was telling him. Children loved to exaggerate.

Lissa Solace had organised a game for the younger children - John Martin, Starissa and Kevin Baines, and even little Wendy Martin was toddling around and playing in the sand.

"Life goes on, hey 'Lonz," Danziger said dismally. "You've done a real good job raising those two kids by yourself." "Just like you did," replied Alonzo. "Although Lissa and Ethan better not get any ideas...."

They both laughed mirthlessly, an alcohol-related depression sinking across the two men. But it wasn't only the drink that caused the sadness within their souls. It was the loss of love.

"You know," half slurred Alonzo, "I never really appreciated Julia when I had her."

Danziger looked up in surprise. He'd always assumed that the couple'd had a perfect relationship. At least they had known they loved each other, and had nine wonderful years together. Not like himself and Devon.

Yet Danziger couldn't be bitter towards Alonzo. He sensed a kinship with the other man, for they had both lost once-in-alifetime love.

"Do you remember the first time we all met?" Alonzo asked suddenly. "That day on the Advance ship, just before we took off. It seems a lifetime ago," he sighed.

"It was a different life," agreed Danziger. He cringed as he recalled his first meeting with Devon - a rude comment on his part that caused her to look straight past him. How he wished he could turn back time, so that he could appreciate the few short months with Devon that he had.

Alonzo, too, was recalling meeting Julia. "I chatted Julia up the instant we met," he revealed, reaching for his drink again. "I thought she was just another pretty face, someone for a fling before I took off again. I never guessed how special she was."

"She was great," Danziger agreed. "I remember your wedding, too. You were both so happy, even though Julia threatened to call it off hours before!"

Alonzo smiled sadly. "She could be the most difficult, frustrating person sometimes. I loved her for it."

"Do you think you'll ever get over her?" asked Danziger, knowing in his own heart that he would never forget Devon.

"No," stated Alonzo. "A love like Julia only comes along once in a lifetime. Most people never find their true soulmate."

"You were lucky," Danziger pointed out. "God, I miss her." And Alonzo's words were so true for the both of them, two men tormented by the past.

Bess and Morgan danced into view, and Danziger felt amazed by the fact that it was Morgan Martin who'd ended up with the best life. When he'd met the man, Danziger had decided that Morgan was a low, weasel-faced kind of scum who didn't deserve the happiness he had. But Danziger's opinion had gradually changed, and now he sensed some kind of cosmic irony in the way events had transpired.

The song finished, and Bess and Morgan broke apart. Noticing their friends, the couple joined Alonzo and Danziger at their table.

"Have you danced with the bride yet?" asked Bess, her eyes sparkling because she knew the answer. No one had been able to prise True and Uly apart and it warmed her heart to see such a love.

"No," replied Danziger. "She doesn't need her old man cutting in."

"Yes she does," chided Bess. "Go on. I'll bet your daughter is looking forward to it." Under Bess' strict direction, Danziger finally got up and approached the couple.

"And you, Alonzo," continued Bess, "are going to dance with me."

His expression was suddenly pained as he recalled dancing on the beach with Julia so long ago. But he took Bess' outstretched hand, and allowed her to lead him in a memory-filled dance. He would never forget Julia, but also, he would never tarnish her memory by not letting go.

"May I cut in?" Danziger asked gruffly. "Dad!" exclaimed True, happy to see him. "Of course," replied Uly to Danziger. Giving his new wife a quick kiss, he said, "She's all yours."

Danziger gathered his daughter in his arms for perhaps the last time. He didn't know what to say, so instead he gazed past her shoulder at the other dancing couples. Now Morgan was dancing with Mary and the two were laughing like old friends they were. Danziger was glad to see that Bess was completely comfortable with the situation as she whirled Alonzo around.

"Well, Dad, aren't you going to say anything?" teased True. He looked into her bright eyes and sighed.

"I can't believe my baby girl is all grown up." It was perhaps one of the most unoriginal lines he'd ever come up with, but it seemed to fit the situation perfectly.

True smiled gently at him. "It had to happen eventually. That's the way of life! And you know Uly, you know he's right for me." Her voice took on a darker tone. "I'm just sorry you've never had the chance to be married."

"Me too, True-girl." Her eyes suddenly filled with tears at the use of the old name.

"I hope you'll be alright without me," she said sincerely. "I love you, Dad. Please stay away from the darkness."

"Darkness?" Danziger repeated, but he knew what she meant. True sniffed. "Dad, there's so much out there. You just have to look for the beauty in life."

"Maybe I will sometime," Danziger offered, gently brushing away her tears. Yet he knew that he wouldn't, for he could never let Devon go.

"Please try," True whispered. "I don't want to lose you." In response, Danziger wrapped her in a bear hug and rocked her quietly until the song ended.