- Text Size +


Legends II : LEGENDS OF LOVE. (9/9)
by Nicole Mayer

"Here's to us, the original Eden Advance," toasted Morgan Martin, holding his glass in the air. The small group of nine mimicked his gesture and they all drank deeply.

Morgan glanced around at the group of friends, and smiled with a hint of sadness. They had achieved so much in the half-century since they crashed, yet it was difficult to accept the fact that time was passing. Even True and Uly were almost grandparents.

"We should hold a party like this every year," declared Bess, suddenly breaking the silence. A few months ago, at Walman's funeral, the reunion had been hastily organised as they met up with old friends who were now spread all over the country.

Bess was glad that they had all been able to come to Devon, their original city, to remember the past and enjoy each other's company.

Yale, who seemed impossibly old, suddenly spoke up. "I, too, would like to propose a toast. To every member of Eden Advance who has departed from this world but lives on in our hearts. Their valiant actions throughout the years helped us build a better world for everyone here today. And what a world we live in!"

One by one, each person stood up and offered a small speech about a loved friend. Alonzo, on Yale's right, began.

"I know this might be a little biased, but I'd like to say a few words about Julia. I never met a more dedicated doctor than she was. She made so many advances here with the links between humans and Terrians, and her work formed the foundation of our understanding today.

"But that wasn't all she was. Julia was also a wonderful, caring human being. She loved every one of us deeply, and has saved our lives more than once. We never would have made it without her."

They toasted Julia's memory, and then Baines continued. "I'd like to remember my good buddy Walman. He was always there to lend a hand, whenever something needed doing. I don't think he ever complained, he was just glad to pitch in. And that went for his whole life, helping set up the city, running the hydroponics plant, all of it. He was a good guy."

Magus' face took on a wistful expression as she recalled dear, departed comrades. "Remember Cameron? He was another great friend." She paused as everyone thought over the tragic incident at the power plant numerous years earlier, where both Cameron and Denner, along with several other employees, had died.

"Many of you didn't know him that well and I know he didn't say much. What he did say, however, was deep and meaningful. I guess that's why he and Denner got along so well. Those two were a wonderful part of the team, doing their best not only to get to New Pacifica, but also to build our city and then over to the East Coast to do the same thing there."

"Yes," broke in Matazl. "They formed the backbone of the initial East Coast team. Living there now is wonderful, but I will always remember the first hard months." He paused to take a drink.

"Well, since it's my turn to speak, I'd like to mention Eben Synge. I know we lost her early in the journey, yet she was another person who gave so much. I particularly remember the wonderful concoctions she could make out of the few edible grasses and such that we had discovered during those first months. Besides that, she was an incredible, caring person. We all missed her greatly."

Everyone pondered Matazl's words, then turned to Uly. He smiled nervously at them and then began. "I know you probably expect me to say something about my mother. But instead, I want to remind you of Commander Broderick O'Neill. Not many of you had the chance to get to know him, but he was a friend to both my mother and I as she tried to get the Eden Project underway.

"Without him volunteering to be the commanding presence on the mission, it could have taken another few years to get away. Years that would have meant thousands of more deaths of Syndrome children." Including my own death, Uly thought silently. "He may have been a military man, but he always wanted the best for the future. It was a terrible waste...."

There was nothing more for Uly to say, so he squeezed True's hand and looked to her. "I, too, would like to remember people that many of you didn't know too well," she said, brushing back her greying hair. "The Advance Crew, who escaped in the other pod. A lot of them were my friends, like extra uncles and aunts as I was growing up on the stations. More than that, they pledged their lives to this quest to find a new world just like us. They were good, hardworking people, and it's just sad that they had to die the way they did. They were part of it, too."

Bess thought quietly for a few moments as her opportunity to speak arrived. Finally, she looked up at her friends. "I'm going to talk about John Danziger. I hope everyone remembers the good things about him and not just the bad. I know he became a recluse in his old age and I'm sorry that we were never able to heal his pain.

"We should think of everything he achieved in the early years. He was our leader, and our strength especially during the time after we lost Eben and Devon. He founded this city, and was paramount in getting it up and running.

"More than that, he was part of the then-underground movement to assist people escaping the stations before free settlement was permitted. He was a wonderful leader, and a dear friend. He had so much love to give, and it's just a pity that circumstances twisted his life so much. I miss him," Bess finished simply, her eyes shining.

Yale broke in suddenly. "I don't think we can mention John without thinking of Devon Adair. Sorry, Morgan," he amended, but Morgan held up his hands in a gesture that seemed to say, "Go ahead, I don't mind waiting to speak".

"I think we all realise that it was one woman who inspired the dream to come here. Without Devon, I don't believe any of us would be sitting here now. Her quest to save dying children became more important than her own life and we now realise that she gave her life, in a manner of speaking, to save even more people.

"We learn more about life through the death of others," Yale continued, deviating from the subject. "Devon transcended time for a while, but revealed to us the futility of trying to save those who are already lost. John learnt that the hard way."

Yale took a small sip of his drink, suddenly remembering that he was not teaching, but delivering a eulogy about a much loved friend. "Devon had so much to give us," he resumed. "Without her determination and inspiration, would we have ever been motivated to trek across the planet to New Pacifica?"

The truth of his words hung heavily in the air. "But more than that, she did everything out of love. Although she didn't show it, I believe she loved every one of us, our large extended family. It was love that brought us together, and love that keeps us together now."

"To love," toasted Bess, and they all raised their glasses again. Then heads turned to face Morgan, the only one who had not yet spoken.

"Well, you've covered everyone now, so what am I supposed to do?" he joked. "I know, I'd like to thank the Station leaders who decided to try and kill me! If it wasn't for them leaving me on the Advance ship, I'd be stuck in some mindless number crunching job back there."

"Seriously," he continued, "I'd just like to say that I admire every single one of you that came on this journey. We didn't know what we were heading into, but even when we crashed, we didn't give up hope." A sparkle lit up his old, tired eyes, and he mischievously shouted, "Eden Advance Forever!"

The chorus of cheers carried beyond time.

"So that's us now," recorded Bess. "Nine devoted friends who share more than we had ever imagined. Writing this account of us, our adventures, our achievements, and our losses has brought back so many memories of my dear friends.

A lifetime has passed before me, and only now am I realising just how much has been done. Yet there is still so much more to look forward to. Perhaps it is not my place to dream of the future anymore. My children, and their children, and all the generations beyond them are now the hope for humanity as we enter a bold new era of interstellar peace and prosperity. There are even rumours of contact with another spacefaring species!

There will always be mysteries and there will always be hope. I have learnt so much in my life, but one cannot learn the secrets of everything. Instead, I have learned to sit back and watch time pass around me, taking part in what I enjoy, but not being bogged down by the petty details.

No, we don't know exactly what happened out there in the desert with Devon. We don't know why Julia took unwise risks while trying to save Uly. We don't know what happened to John when he vanished, and we don't know why some of us were granted a long life while others died early on.

But these are things I can accept. From those very first hours aboard the Advance Ship, or even the very first time I laid my eyes on Morgan, my destiny was sealed into a future I could never have imagined. I discovered the power of love.

So I sit here and think fondly of the past. My friends have become legends and perhaps I will too someday. Nothing really dies as long as it's not forgotten, and I pray that this record will do justice to the memories of everyone I loved.

We made a difference. And for that fact, anything, *everything*, was worth it.

It was there that the file ended. The book was closed, the story was over, and Gillian sat in a quiet reverie. She had so much to think about. It had such a profound affect on her because it was *real*. Genuine legends of the people who had lived, loved and lost on this planet.

"But it can't end there!" Gillian protested aloud. She still had so many unanswered questions.

Was Devon's body still trapped in cold sleep out in the desert? It scared Gillian as she realised that the local legends were probably true. And in that case, was the old ship still intact?

And what of the Valley of Dreams? If it was truly so beautiful, didn't it deserve to be shared and enjoyed? For humanity had finally learnt how to preserve their environment and even Earth was beginning to recover.

Gillian also had so many questions about John Danziger. How could Bess just accept that he was gone? Yes, she had searched, but there was no tangible proof of his death. He could have joined a Terrian tribe, or even been abducted by aliens! (The latter scenario was a recent fad along with the rumours of a shadowy new species.)

Or perhaps he truly had just withered and died of old age, alone and helpless. Love had destroyed his soul, and it was a love that became an obsession stronger than Gillian had ever heard of.

Yet her biggest questions lay with the presence she had felt. Even if it was Devon, even after all she had read and the strange visions she had seen, the girl still found the concept of ghosts nearly impossible to accept. Gillian didn't really believe that a person could leave their body, no matter what their circumstances. And that was why she was so troubled now, for the traces of some strange entity hovered out of her reach, and she could never quite be sure if it was her imagination or not.

And why had she been chosen to be part of the story? Thousands of people lived in the city of Devon, and surely the spirit could have contacted one of them before, over the past few decades.

Gillian's head was spinning. She did not know where she could go to find the answers she sought to solve the mysteries of the legends of the past. However, she would find the truth someday. She was sure of it.

"Devon, if you're truly out there somehow, I'll help you," Gillian whispered into the wind. "I promise."

Yet the spirit was being battered by the gales of death, too far away from the living world, too much a part of the shadows that had consumed it for so long, to hear the words and the hope they brought. It had accepted the darkness forever.



END "Legends of Love".