- Text Size +


A Solstice Carol (2/2)
With Apologies to Charles Dickens
by Maxine McBrinn
Copyright 1996

In a flash, the scene changed. Now they were standing in the living room of the small rented house Bess and Oliver, their son shared. Bess had decorated for the Solstice, like she always had at their house. The tree was trimmed with ornaments, most of which were cherished for other, earlier memories, and the room was laced with garlanding. A fire blazed in the fireplace. Bess had Oliver on her knee, and was telling him about other Solstices, starting with Christmas when she was a girl.

"Mommy, what about Daddy? Didn't he have Christmas when he was my age?"

Bess hugged the 5 year-old even closer, then moved him so that she could look into his eyes. "No, Oliver. Your father's family never celebrated Christmas, or the Solstice. Some people don't, you know."

"But, why Mommy? It's fun."

"Having fun isn't important to everyone. Your father's family was more interested in looking forward, to what they might do, than in looking back at what wonderful things had already happened. That's why Daddy doesn't pay much attention to Solstice, now."

"Tell me about when you were a little girl, Mommy. Tell me about how you and Grandpa made Christmas!"

Bess hugged her son closer as she sat in front of the fire, the glow reflecting on her lovely face. "When I was a little girl, my family was very poor. Your grandpa was a miner, which meant that he worked very long hours in the mines -- tunnels deep under the ground. Christmas was one of the very few days he didn't have to go to work, so it was already special. We always had a big party for Christmas. We spent weeks getting ready for Christmas Day, saving money for the feast and the presents. We'd have a special dinner; we'd roast a big bird called a turkey and once we had a goose. That's another kind of bird. We had what we called all the trimmings. Stuffing, and mashed potatos, those taste kind of like white root, and lots of desserts. We had pies and a pudding, that we served on fire!"

"On fire Mommy! Didn't it get burnt?"

Bess laughed gently, "No. Just the alcohol burned, but, Oliver, it was so pretty. It would burn all blue and yellow, and we'd turn out the lights. And then after dinner, we'd open all the gifts under the tree. We didn't have much money, but we all tried to make or buy things the other person needed, or even better, what they wanted. One year your grandpa gave me this necklace." Bess pulled out the wild flower necklace she always wore. "He made this for me. He said that I was the last wild flower on Earth." Her voice trembled a bit, but she continued on. "That's because the Earth had been so polluted that wild flowers had quit blooming."

"Can I see it, Mommy" Oliver grabbed at the necklace.

"Sure, honey. But be gentle with it. It's very special to me."

"Okay. I'll be careful." He looked at the flower, as he had done many times before. "Tell me about the first Solstice here. When Aunt Magus made a cake, and Uncle Cameron helped you find the tree."

Alonzo turned back to Morgan, and pulled him away from the fire.

"No! I want to stay!" Morgan tried to pull his hand out of the pilot's grasp. "Damn it, this is my family!"

Alonzo somberly shook his head. "But you told them that you didn't want to celebrate the Solstice with them."

"But what if I change my mind? Is it too late?"

"Too late? You'll see too late." Alonzo pulled firmly on his hand.

And Morgan was back in his room, alone and shivering, although the room was certainly warm enough. But the glow of love that he had felt in Bess' little living room was not there.

"Well, okay. So what was I supposed to get from that?" he grumbled. But he was alone.

He sighed, then reached to plump his pillows again, and crawled wearily into bed for the third time, hoping that maybe this time he'd be allowed to sleep. Before he closed his heavy eyes, there was a strange glow, and two bodies appeared out of the gloom.

Citizen Reilly stood before him, immaculately dressed, and shadowed by a Terrian. *Is that the same Terrian* he wondered? "No, I'm not going with you. I need my sleep. I need lots of sleep." He resolutely rolled over, only to find Reilly and the Terrian on that side of the bed, too. "Geez, my subconscience is working overtime tonight!" He heaved a great sigh. "Okay. But make it quick. I've got work to do tomorrow."

He stood, shrugged on his slippers and robe again, and walked over to Reilly. "What is this? 'Villain of the Planet' Award Night?" he snarled at the Terrian. Reilly never spoke and the sardonic expression on his face didn't change as he suddenly grasped Morgan's wrist with his icy cold hand.

"Are you going to show me something too? Are you really Reilly? What's happening?"

The government agent pulled sharply on Morgan's arm.

They were standing in an old and unkempt graveyard. The grass was long and ragged around the graves, as if it had never been trimmed, and seed heads waved in the damp night air.

"Why did you bring me here? What are you trying to tell me?"

Reilly pointed at the grave they were standing on, the one directly in front. It said "Morgan Martin" on it. His heart began to beat harder in protest. "I'm not dead! I'm alive!" Doubt touched him, and he added, pitifully, "aren't I?"

Reilly pointed again, lower.

He peered closer, and read the date. Next year!

"Does this mean I'm going to die next year? But I'm still young and healthy! What-- what happened? Is going to happen? Damn it! How do I die?" Morgan felt himself start to babble, and the whine he hated had taken permanent root in his voice.

A small breeze kicked up, blowing dust and trash through the graveyard. Reilly caught a stray sheet of newspaper as it blew by, then smoothed it and held it out. Morgan took it from him with a hand that trembled. The lead article on the page said:

Founding Citizen Dead!
Rich Man Eats Bad Food
Dies Eating VR Feast.

"This is preposterous! Bad food, indeed!" He squinted, to better read the smaller type. "This says I ate old food that had gone bad while using a VR feast program." He fell silent. The truth was, he admitted, he had taken to eating his dinner to a VR feast. He couldn't stand the taste of eggs and toast anymore, and drowned them out with a VR dinner more to his liking. He turned back to the Council contact, and grabbed his sleeve in distress. "Is this absolutely going to happen? What can I do?"

Reilly pointed again. They were in a small house, decorated for the Solstice. Bess and an older Oliver sat at a table with a strange man.

"More dinner, honey" Bess offered.

"No thanks. That was wonderful! I'm a lucky man to have such a good cook for a wife!"

"Thanks Jack. Oliver, could you help me clean up?" Bess stood and started to clear plates.

"Okay Mommy! Can Daddy and I tell stories after we finish?" His young son lifted his plate and silverware.

"Okay, but first I have to go deliver some food to the Allegros. You know that they are too poor now to afford a lovely dinner like we had. Would you like to come with me, Oliver? You know how much they like to see you."

"Mommy, can Daddy come too?" Oliver begged.

"Sure, son, I'll come too. That way I can help your Mommy carry the food and clothes."

Morgan turned to Reilly, "But I'm his father! He even looks like me! Why does Bess let him call this man 'Daddy'?"

Reilly just watched with him as the strange man patted Bess on the bottom, as she walked by with the dishes.

"Hey, hands off buddy! That's my wife!" Then he remembered. "Is this a Solstice without me? Is that what you are trying to tell me? Bess will marry a man like that? And poor Bob Allegro will be even poorer?"

Reilly nodded again.

"No, no! I can't let this happen! NO!" Morgan tossed his head from side to side, as if he could stop this from happening by shaking his head. "NO! NO! It's not too late! I can change. I swear I can. I will."

He squinted his eyes open as the sun poured into his room and a beam focused on his face. He leapt from bed, hitting the rug in a slide that whisked him across the room. Morgan lay where he had landed, trying to gather his wits while he caught his breath. Shakely, he got up and staggered to a chair.

Once he had control of himself, he reached for the telecommunications node on the table, and dialed Alonzo and Julia.

"Yes?" Julia answered, looking alert, obviously thinking this was a medical emergency. "Morgan! Are you all right? You look terrible!"

Morgan rubbed his face with his hands, then looked up to answer her. "Julia, I'm fine. Or at least I think I am. What day is it?"

Julia's face took on the "clinical diagnosis" expression everyone from the Eden Advance crew had come to know well. "It's Solstice, Morgan."

Morgan grinned and exclaimed, "It's not too late They did it all in one night!"

Julia frowned and said, "Are you *sure* you're all right? Who did it in one night? What are you talking about? Maybe I should come over just to check you out."

Morgan could hear Alonzo exclaiming against such a silly trip away from the camera, then Julia covered the camera with her hand as she turned to tell Alonzo that this was her business. Alonzo grabbed the gear from her.

Morgan felt his face pale as he remembered his middle visitor from the night.

Alonzo's face sobered as he saw the businessman, "Morgan, you okay, man? You look like you've seen a ghost!" Concern colored his voice.

"No, I'm fine. Or at least I think I'm fine. I just had some really strange dreams...Alonzo, did you dream last night?"

"No. At least I don't remember dreaming." The pilot looked confused. This was not a normal conversation with the usually money-focused Morgan Martin. He visibly shook himself, then asked, "So, what happened in these dreams?"

"I was shown the Solstice in the biodome, that first winter on the planet. You remember? We were all so happy then."

Alonzo smiled, "Yeah. That was a good time. Julia gave me that hat, and told me to wear it! And you and Bess were so sweet."

"Yeah, we were." Morgan paused, then forced himself to continue. "Then you appeared and showed me today. My employees and Bess and Oliver. And then Reilly showed me the future. You sure you can't remember?"

"I showed you today? Morgan, that's impossible." Alonzo protested, but then he grinned. "Say, just what did you have for dinner last night?"

"No, the Terrians were there! Alonzo, it happened! It did!"

Alonzo looked off-screen, "Julia, I think we should go check him out. I haven't seen Morgan like this in years." He looked back into the camera, "We'll be right there, man. We just need to find someone to watch the baby."

"I'm okay, but it would be good to see you. Thanks." Morgan signed out.

Ten minutes later, the two arrived at his door. Julia immediately sat him down and scanned him with the diaglove she'd brought with her. "Well, you're right. Except for being tired, you're fine." She leaned back and relaxed, and let Alonzo take the lead.

"So, the Terrians appeared to you and showed you the past, present and future. What do you think they wanted?" the pilot asked.

"I think they were trying to tell me that I need to change my priorities. It's strange though. Why me?" Morgan's face was earnest. His disbelief in his own importance was refreshing; they hadn't seen this Morgan in years. There was no whine in his voice as he continued, "I'm not important to them like either of you are, or like the syndrome children. I don't get it."

"Just be thankful if they sent you a message you needed to hear. We miss the old Morgan, you know. And Bess really misses you," Alonzo soothed.

"Thanks. I'm sorry to drag you out. I know you had plans, and I hope I didn't upset them." Morgan walked them to his door.

"No, don't worry about it. You know you are welcome to join us-- ?" Julia offered as she and the pilot walked to the door arm-in-arm.

"Thanks. But I've got some work to do. I'll talk to you soon. Happy Solstice!" He shook hands with them both, then watched as they walked toward their house.

Morgan bustled upstairs, throwing armloads of things in bags. In a few minutes, he followed his friends out the door.

Bob Allegro was surprised by the knock at his door, and even more surprised when it turned out to be his boss.

"Happy Solstice! Happy Solstice!" Morgan's face was creased in a big smile. "Bob! Happy Solstice! I brought a few things to make the day merrier. Can I come in?"

"Uh-- Sure. Come on in. Myrna, look who's here!" He led the way back to the living room. "Sit down. Please." Allegro relaxed a bit when his wife joined them.

"Mr Martin! Happy Solstice!" She looked sidelong at her husband in question, but received a shrug in reply. "What can we do for you, sir? Would you like to join us for dinner?"

"No. Actually, I have lots to do today, but I wanted to drop off a few gifts. Here are some VR programs for the children. Sorry I didn't get a chance to wrap them. And, for you, here's a bottle of wine to brighten your dinner."

"But-- This is real wine, from the Stations! Sir, we can't take this!" Bob Allegro was flustered. This happy gift-bearing man was nothing like his business-obsessed boss.

"Nonsense! Enjoy it with my blessing. It's the least I can do. Now, if you will excuse me, I need to visit some of our co-workers. Happy Solstice!" Morgan bustled out again, leaving two very confused people in his wake.

Late that morning, once his bags were empty and all his employees had been visited, Morgan turned toward Bess' house. He walked up to the door and knocked. He shouted out "Happy Solstice" as Bess opened the door. She was wearing an apron and brushing her hands as if trying to remove something from their surface. Through the door, he could smell a something roasting, and the smells of baking.

"Morgan? What are you doing here?" Bess asked, surprised, although she didn't step aside to let him in.

"Bess. I've been a fool! How could I ever think that being rich was more important than being happy with the people I love? I made a mistake, taking you for granted. Oh Bess, I need you, and I need Oliver. Please let me make it up to you?"

Bess reached to feel his forehead. "Morgan, are you feeling all right?"

"I'm fine! Never better! Ask Julia. She and Alonzo came over to check me out this morning." He paused, "Bess. Can I come in?"

She hesitated, then sighed. "Oh. Sure. I guess so. Oliver will be glad to see you." She turned and led him into the living room. Their son ran into his arms from across the room, hitting him like a stone from a slingshot.

Oliver shouted "Daddy! Daddy! Happy Solstice! Did you come for dinner, Daddy? Are you going to stay?"

Morgan hugged his son into him, cherishing the small warm body. "Hmmm, you smell like wood smoke! Are you helping your mother with the fire?"

"Daddy, Mommy let me light it! I got to hold the match! And I'm helping her make dinner, too!"

Morgan realized his son was dusted with flour, and now so was he. "You sure are! Do you think I could help too?"

Oliver looked at his mother. "Can he, Mommy?"

"Sure." Bess said, then held her hand out for Oliver. "Come on, son. Let's show Daddy what we're making."

As Oliver ran ahead, she looked at her husband. "I'm surprised to see you. I thought you'd be working today, or would play with your VR."

"Bess, I had some very strange dreams last night, and they showed me how screwed up I've let my life get. I'm richer than I ever imagined, but I'm not happy. And I've been making everyone around me unhappy too. So I gave away my VR programs today, and I gave a bottle of wine to each of my employees. From now on, I'm going to try to enjoy life, and to help the people around me enjoy it too. Especially the people I love. That's you and Oliver, and all the people we traveled here with. Can you forgive me for being such an insensitive ass?"

Bess paused, looking sceptical. "And some strange dreams showed you this?" Her disbelief was clear.

"Bess, somehow the Terrians were involved. They showed me that Solstice celebration we had that first winter here, that winter in the biodome. Then they showed me today, Bob Allegro's family dinner and you and Oliver."

"Me and Oliver?" Bess interrupted.

"Yes, the two of you talking beside the fire, and you explaining how you used to celebrate Christmas when you were a girl. And then they showed me the future if I didn't change my ways." Morgan reached soberly for her hand, "Bess, it was awful. I died, and you remarried-- You married a pig! And the Allegro's got even poorer than they are now." He paused to look directly into her eyes, "The Terrians told me that my priorities were all screwed up, and that I had to change now if I hoped to make it up to you, and to our friends, and to my employees."

"Oh Morgan...I hoped...But I never thought you'd realize, or at least, not until it was too late." Tears ran down Bess' cheeks, and he reached out to brush them away with his thumbs while he cradled her head in his hands. He looked at her tenderly while he drew her in closer for a kiss.

"Bess. Forgive me. I love you," he breathed.

"Oh Morgan, I love you too," she sighed.

"Daddy! Mommy! Come help!" Small flour covered hands pulled at their pants insistently as they laughed and let their son drag them into the kitchen.

-The End-