- Text Size +


Eden's First Christmas (3/4)


That Evening:

Everyone had gathered around the door of the dining hall, waiting for either Bess or Alonzo to open the door...Devon was at the front of the line. "What's taking them so long?" Devon asked. Danziger looked at her. "Don't worry, Bess told us to be here at sunset, we're here, and she's in there...she'll open the door when they're ready." he gave her a sweeping galnce. "Did I tell you how beautiful you look yet?"
Devon looked down at the simple burgendy dress she had on. "Thank you." she looked back at him. "You don't look that shabby either." Danziger played around with the collar of his shirt. "Thank you." The two of them smiled at one another. Bess opened the door and suddenly all eyes were on her. "Everyone here?" she asked, only opening the door enough to put her head through.
There was a chorus of yeses as the group surged towards the door. Bess stepped back and let the door open the rest of the way. Devon, Danziger and Uly were the first through the door, and when they got in, they simply stopped and started, their mouths hanging open. Alonzo was standing beside a beautifully decorated tree, playing around with some small luma-lights that were attached to its branches. Under that tree was a large pachage, wrapped in coloured cloth, and decorated with sea-shells. The old tables had been pushed to one side of the hall and were covered with various salt-fruits, rations, and on the far table was a huge, frosting-covered cake.
When Julia and the others came in, Devon had pretty much recovered from the shock of finding the dining hall a banquet hall, and she began asking Bess how she had done it.
Bess grinned and swept an arm around the room. "Well, I did all the baking and Alonzo and Yale took care of getting the tree, Zero moved the tables, and we all did the decorating." Uly ran up to the two women and stared up at Bess. "What kind of cake is that?"
Bess laughed and knelt down to his level. "Remember that chocolate Morgan and I gave you for your birthday?" Uly nodded. "Well, it's a chocolate cake with salt-fruit bits and icing...I guess you could call it a fruit-cake!"
Alonzo stood and got up on a chair. "Hey everyone! Can I have you attention!"
Conversations were lulled as the small group of people all turned to look at him.
"It seems I have the pleasure of presenting to you...G889's first ever Christmas tree!" he leaned over and plugged the luma-lights into a small generator, and the crowd all gasped similtaniously, as the tree lit up. Bess turned off the lights in the hall and the Eden crew was left standing in the hall, with only the tree and some lights on the tables left to light the room.
Julia went over to stand by Alonzo.
"As if you didn't prepare me for what you did in here!?" she said playfully. Alonzo grinned at her and put an arm over her shoulders. "Yeah I know, but I wanted you to be surprised."
Julia smiled back at him. "I was."
The two kissed, walked over to the tables, and fed each other dinner. Everyone was slowly making their way to the tables at this point, putting chairs around the hall.
The next few hours were spent talking, laughing and enjoying a happiness that was shared by all.