- Text Size +

Story Notes:
This is just a short little spoof and I would normally take longer to revise it, but I wanted to be the first to add something to AJ's Short Story Contest.

And for all who are wondering, the name is taken from a wonderful piece of music entitled "Dance With Me," dedicated to the six million who died in Concentration Camps during WWII. May their song never be forgotten.

I think everyone has agreed that one of the best scenes in Earth 2 was the wedding scene. I love this scene, but if you ask me, something has always been missing. What could possibly be missing? Well, for one, my favorite couple dancing together.
So, here is a short little extension to one of the best scenes ever done on Earth 2.
Please keep in mind this story is non-professional, so there's no way it'll be as good as that scene.


DANCE WITH ME

As the song ended, most couples broke apart, the members of Eden Advance choosing to dance with each other instead of the holograms for the next song. Julia Heller put a still tired Ulysses Adair down and gave him a smile. "So you want to dance again, or you just want to stay here?" "Stay here."
Julia nodded and decided to go over and get some punch. The thought of what she had almost done to Uly still weighed heavily upon her. What if she had killed him? What would have happened then? Would the Terrians have taken her as they had taken Gaal?
"Your dance card full?"
Julia turned and smiled at Alonzo Solace. "Not at all." "Than you can dance with me."
Julia put up a hand, "No Alonzo, I'd really rather not." "Come on Doc, I really want to use this leg. Four weeks on crutches was enough to make any guy go crazy," Alonzo gave her one of his smiles and took a small step closer to Julia.
"That's another thing, you should still be taking..." "What, don't trust your own handy work?" "Alonzo...."
Alonzo just smiled again and pulled Julia onto the dance floor in the middle of a lively song. At that point Julia realized she would look rather foolish trying to escape the grasp of the pilot. So, she began dancing with him. Alonzo was a better dancer than Julia would have thought. He was extremely smooth, and literally made Julia feel like she was flying. His grasp was tight and secure, while his feet were loose and giving. Julia had never been a good dancer, despite the fact she had been forced to take several social dance classes. Yet with him she felt like she was the most graceful dancer in the universe.
They danced in silence, both avoiding looking in each other's eyes. At one point their eyes did make contact, and it reminded Julia of the night before.

*It's his heart....*
Why had it been Alonzo? Had it really been Alonzo? Had the Terrians just conjured up his image? But why his? Because he was their strongest adult link? Or was there another reason?
Maybe she had just conjured him up out of fear. Seen an illusion that wasn't really there. But she had seen and heard the Terrian--she knew he hadn't been an illusion. Why was this so difficult?

Alonzo and Julia continued to dance for several more songs. Alonzo had assumed Julia would stop after the first song, and he had been surprised when she hadn't made any motions to stop.
Having her this close to him was driving him insane. Her face was only inches from his as it had been that day in the med tentx But not here. That's why he tried to avoid looking at her directly. Everytime he looked at her, he felt his heart begin to flutter. No, flutter wasn't the word for it. He wasn't sure what the word was for it. All he knew was that this emotion was new to him. Of course, instead of Julia feeling the same way, she seemed to be uninterested. No, not uninterestedxshe just wanted to keep her distance.
After that day in the med tent he was more convinced than ever she cared about him as more than a patient. He had felt emotion in those kisses and she hadn't backed away. No matter what she had said afterwards. *I'm surprising myselfx*
Alonzo looked at Julia and found her impassively looking at him. God, she was so beautiful.

Later that night, after the Martins' wedding party had ended, Alonzo escorted Julia back to her tent. They talked quietly, talking about things neither of them would usually talk about. As they approached Julia's tent, Alonzo stopped and turned to Julia. "I really enjoyed tonight Doc."
"I did too," Julia told the pilot.
Alonzo took a step closer to Julia and bent down to kiss her. He didn't have to bend far, as Julia came up to meet his kiss. The kiss lasted no longer than ten seconds, yet for them it seemed an eternity. For those ten seconds they had become one and broken away again. In those ten seconds each momentarily knew that the other cared as much as they did.
As they parted, they continued to keep their eyes locked on each other. They began to step closer for another kiss, when an animal from a nearby tree called out, breaking them from their trance. It was then Julia reminded herself she could not get involved. Yet when she was with Alonzoxno, no she had to stop things now. Blow out the flame before it became a fire.
But, he had saved both her and Uly. Abrubtly, she spoke softly, her voice filled with gratitude. "Thank you Alonzo." Julia turned and walked into her tent, trying to put the kiss and her feelings out of her mind. Alonzo stood there for a moment longer, mystified as to why the doctor had thanked him. Finally he turned and walked back to his tent.
Julia Heller, beautiful woman and wonderful doctor. Not to mention she was also a great dancer. She had made the universe's crummiest dancer, Alonzo Solace, actually feel like he was good. Alonzo looked back at the med tent. Yes, he was no longer alone on this planet. He had found someone who cared for him, as he cared for her. Somehow two years suddenly seemed too short a time.

-The End-