- Text Size +


Do You Know My Shadow? (11/17)
by Lisa 04


The two figures made their way through the forest. The moons were hidden by the clouds making it difficult to see. Sheppard stumbled as he hurried to keep up with the form in front of him. "Where are we going?" he gasped, trying to catch his breath.
"You'll see," the shadow said, pushing forward through the trees. They continued for almost a half an hour before the figure slowed and came to a stop in front of a crevice in the side of a hill. "What is this? Where are we?" Sheppard asked. "This is where we take the final step," the figure answered cryptically. He then disappeared into the opening, beckoning for Sheppard to follow. Sheppard hesitated for a moment, then quickly chased after his other side.

Devon tapped quietly on the outside of the medtent just in case Julia was asleep.
"Come in," Julia said.
Devon entered the tent. Julia was sitting at her workbench gazing through the microscope but looked up when the other woman walked in. "Hi, Devon," Julia said, a puzzled look crossing her face. "What are you doing up so late? Is there anything wrong?" "No, nothing's wrong," Devon assured the doctor. "I was just having some trouble getting to sleep and I was wondering if you could give me something." "Sure," Julia answered, loading up a sedaderm. "Here you go," she said as she handed it to Devon.
"Are you sure you're OK?"
"Yes, I'm fine. I'm just a little keyed up thinking about all the things that have to be done in the next few days," Devon sighed. "Thanks for the sedaderm. Goodnight."
"Goodnight," Julia nodded, as Devon left medtent.

The shadow led Sheppard deep into the cavern. They wound their way downward, further and further from the surface. They passed through tunnels lined with the glowing yellow rock that the Terrians used to communicate with the planet and each other. It seemed the deeper they went, the more there was of the phosphorescent mineral. Sheppard quietly followed the figure, watching as it disappeared into an opening at the end of the tunnel. As he emerged into the room, Sheppard gazed around at the Terrians that lined the walls. Each was enclosed in an earthen bed, dreaming, as they sought to strengthen their union with the planet.
"What are we doing here?" Sheppard asked, turning back to the image of himself that stood in the middle of the room. "We're here to take the final step and get back what is ours," the figure answered, moving toward Sheppard. "It's time that we undo what should have never been done."
"What are you talking about?"
"You want what is yours, don't you?"
"Yes, I told you that. I'm not going to let anyone get in the way of what I want anymore," Sheppard confirmed. Uncertainty shone in his eyes, however. "Your eyes betray you, my friend," the shadow contended. "I can see that you are still unsure of what needs to be done. Have you forgotten what you have seen? What will happen unless you do something to change it?" The image moved closer to him, standing directly in front of the hesitant man. "I thought you realized that you can never have what you want without being whole again." Looking into the other man's eyes, the shadow whispered, "It is time for you to decide...you must choose your path and the means by which you will travel it."
Sheppard flashed back to the events that had brought him to this point. He replayed the frustration he felt about not being with Devon, the anger he felt at her son's disobedience, and the humiliation and betrayal that he felt as she continued to look toward John Danziger for advice and support. His minimal role in this group's existence was something that was unacceptable to him. He was not used to being a follower. He was, and always will be, a leader. *That* was his destiny. He knew this back on earth, and no matter how much he had *changed* after coming to this planet, he knew it here too. He realized that he would never be looked upon to lead this group as long as Devon depended on someone else. The final vision he had of her in Danziger's arms and the awareness that Devon's feelings for the man were deeper than even she realized, served to strengthen his resolve. Sheppard slowly turned to his shadow and said, "I am ready. I know what must be done." "Good," smiled the dark figure. "You have made the right choice." The image moved toward Sheppard then stopped directly in front of him. "You must take the final step, Sheppard."
Nodding his head in understanding, the older man moved forward and embraced his past. As the two figures melded to become one, his eyes were opened to all that he used to be. "It's good to be back," he sighed with a smile, before falling to the ground.

Devon tiptoed into the room that she shared with her son, being careful not to wake him. Taking off her coat and boots, she thought back to the things that Danziger had said during their conversation. ‘He's right,' she sighed to herself as she fluffed her pillow before lying down on her cot. Resolving to talk with Sheppard tomorrow about his past, she pushed the sedaderm to her neck and released the tranquilizer. As she drifted off to sleep, she dreamt about the coming spring and their continuing journey to New Pacifica.

Sheppard slowly opened his eyes and found himself staring at the feet of a sleeping Terrian. He sat up and closed his eyes, taking a minute to orient himself. He stood and breathed a deep sigh of relief. He saw everything with such clarity now. Confidence and strength pulsed through his veins. He could not remember the last time he had felt so alive. There had always seemed to be something missing before, but now he felt as if nothing was beyond his reach. "Nothing is going to keep me from getting what I want. Katarina's meddling only served to delay the inevitable," he said aloud as he approached the sleeping Terrian. "It's time to take back what is mine and to finish what I started." Sheppard smiled as he placed his hand on the Terrian, "and I know just how to do it." He relaxed and allowed his mind to use the Terrian as a conduit to the dreamplane. Suddenly he was on the mesa of the dream realm that had become his tool so long ago. "Time to get to work," he declared as he set out across the plane.

Devon stood on the cliffs overlooking the vast ocean that bordered New Pacifica. The warm wind gently blew her hair around her face. She couldn't believe that they had finally made it to their destination. She looked down to where her son played on the beach with the other healed syndrome children. She smiled at the sight of the healthy children running. It was all so wonderful. The colony had been set up in time and the colonists had welcomed the Terrians' help in curing their children. Both species had learned to live in harmony with each other and now she was free to simply watch her son grow. That was all she had ever wanted. She began to walk down to the beach when a voice called to her.
"Devon."
She turned to find the voice but couldn't. All she could see were the buildings of New Pacifica in the distance surrounded by the native foliage they had left undisturbed. She had started back down the path when she heard a voice call her name again. This time she turned to find Sheppard standing by the edge of the cliff.
"Hello Devon," he smiled.
"Sheppard," she returned, smiling. "Isn't it wonderful? Everything has turned out perfect. All the children have been healed. Just look at them." She gestured toward the beach where the laughter of the children could be heard over the soft roar of the waves.
"Yes, it's wonderful Devon," he agreed, "but it isn't going to be like this if things continue on the path that you have chosen." "What do you mean?" she asked, confusion clouding her mind. "Look again," he answered, turning back to the scene on the beach. Devon followed his gaze but saw nothing this time. The children that were playing had disappeared.
"Where did they go?" she asked, worried. "Where are the children?" "They are gone."
"What do you mean they are gone??!!" she demanded. "I mean they are *gone*, Devon," he said sadly, shaking his head. "They didn't make it." He pointed, indicating that she should turn around. She gasped as she turned and saw the headstones. Walking up to them she read aloud several of the names inscribed. "Miles Taylor...Mary Blight...Samuel Asher..." Turning back to Sheppard she said, choking back the tears, "Those are the names of some of the syndrome children on the colony ship." "I know," Sheppard answered solemnly.
"What...what happened?" she cried. "They were supposed to be healed. The Terrians were going to heal them."
"They would have if you had listened to me, Devon." "What are you talking about?" she implored, distraught at the thought that she could have done something that would have doomed the children. "Devon, choices you made in the past influenced the future. You chose to listen to people who led you down the wrong path. Events that happened from those decisions resulted in the failure of the colony and the death of the children," Sheppard explained.
A look of horror crossed Devon's face. "I don't understand what you're talking about."
"To be specific," he continued, "you chose to listen to the advice of people who didn't understand this planet or the intricate way it functions." He used his considerable knowledge of the dreamplane to emphasize his words and drive his point home. The surroundings changed suddenly and they were standing in the center of New Pacifica. The area looked like a war zone. Most of the buildings were crumbled ruins with vines overgrowing them. The ones that were still standing were burnt out shells. Save for the overgrowth of plants, there were no signs of life.
"What happened?" she asked, shocked at the sudden change. "The Terrians destroyed the colony."
"What? Why?"
"They refused to heal the children and destroyed the colony because the colonists failed to keep the promises that were made." "What promises? I still don't understand what you're talking about," she said, confused at his implications.
"Devon, you don't remember, but you made promises to the Terrains when they healed your child," Sheppard explained. "The colonists didn't feel bound by your agreement and became greedy."
Devon shook her head as if to clear it so that she could understand what Sheppard was saying. "What did they do?" "They decided that they didn't want to live by the Terrians' rules regarding this planet. The Terrians became obstacles in their drive to conquer and control G889. Many Terrians were killed before they fought back." Knowing exactly what to say, Sheppard paused before continuing. "Even your son's link with the Terrians wasn't enough to change what happened." She blinked, an unfathomable thought creeping into the back of her mind. "What happened to Uly...what happened to the others?" Sheppard looked directly at her and said in a quiet voice, devoid of emotion, "They're dead...they're all dead."
Devon gasped as her knees buckled. She couldn't breathe. She felt as if everything was suddenly collapsing in on her and choking the very life from her. She sank to the ground as a quiet sob escaped from her throat. "No, it's not true...it can't be," she cried. She looked up at Sheppard, her eyes begging him to tell her it was all a horrible mistake. Sheppard's face softened. He reached down and gently helped Devon stand, wiping the tears from her cheeks. He pulled her to him and soothed, "It's OK Devon. It will all be OK."
"How can it be alright if everyone is dead?" she said bitterly, pulling away from him.
Sheppard was surprised at Devon's reaction. He hadn't anticipated that she would react with anger to his manufactured revelations. Nonetheless, he knew that he controlled this dream and could use everything to his advantage. He quickly recovered from his initial shock and proceeded with his agenda. "Devon, this doesn't have to happen. You...we can stop it," he assured. Devon looked at him, surprised. "How can I stop it. I'll do anything. I can't let this happen," she said.
Sheppard smiled to himself. This was exactly what he wanted. Placing his hands on her shoulders, Sheppard met Devon's pleading gaze. "Devon, I know this planet and I know the Terrians. I can help guide you and the colonists in your decision making. If you will trust me, I assure you we can keep this from ever happening."
"I don't understand," Devon uttered, confused. "What are you saying?" "I'm saying that I'm the only one who knows how to keep this from happening. You must trust me and no one else. You can't afford to misplace your trust in others who may not have the best interest of the Terrians and this planet as a priority," he lied.
Devon stood there, stunned at his implications that some of the colonists or Eden Advance members would be capable of trying to destroy the Terrians and G889. She didn't want to believe him but she had seen the destruction. She was feeling disoriented and confused about everything he was saying. She tried to clear her head and think about this logically, but for some reason she couldn't. Every time she tried, things became more unsettling. Sheppard watched Devon. He could see the turmoil in her eyes. It was time to end this dream. He had done what he needed to do. "Devon, you look so tired. You should rest now. Everything will work out alright," he promised. Suddenly she became extremely tired, and lay down on the ground. "When you wake up, you won't remember the specifics of this dream, Devon," Sheppard whispered as she closed her eyes. "You will, however, remember who you must listen to...who you should and should not trust."
Devon turned restlessly in her cot, on the verge of consciousness, but unable to fully awaken because of the sedative. She soon settled. Her breathing evened as she began to dream on her own. She smiled, a sigh escaping from her lips as once again she watched her son and the other children playing on the beach.

End Part 11