- Text Size +


Do You Know My Shadow? (4/17)
by Lisa 04


Returning to the biodome, Devon and Uly found that the group had already started to gather for dinner. Uly quickly left his mother's side when he spied True tinkering with some unknown piece of machinery. Devon smiled to herself, "Those two are becoming fast friends, even if they do fight a lot." She was so proud of the way her son had emerged from his shell after he was healed by the terrians. Before, he never had many friends because he couldn't stand their stares or the pity that they were unable to hide. Now he easily interacted with the group and had quickly won over their affections. True even liked him despite his constant pestering of the older girl. "He's definitely his mother's son, proud and stubborn," she thought as she watched him questioning True about the contraption. Leaving her son to his interrogation, she headed to her room to see if Sheppard was awake. "Are you feeling better?" she asked as she entered her room to find Sheppard sitting on the edge of the cot.
"Yes a little," he answered, standing up to greet her. "What have you been up to?"
"Oh, nothing special. Just a little time alone. I did talk to Uly though.," she smiled. "I told him about how you helped us and that I wanted you two to get to know each other."
"And what did young Ulysses say about that?" "Well, I have to admit, he was a little confused by the whole thing. I guess it is a little hard to understand how you can contact someone who's millions of miles away, simply by dreaming to them." "Yes, I suppose it is," he conceded.
"Though Uly seems to understand the dreamplane better than anyone else, it seems even he still has a lot to learn about it," Devon reflected. "Are you hungry?"
Sheppard nodded and added, "I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of your group."
"Mmhmm, I'm sure they're pretty anxious to meet you too," she replied thoughtfully, somewhat dreading the cross-examination that she knew was about to take place. The group was still very suspicious of strangers, and rightfully so. After their encounter with Gaal and the revelation that more Council prisoners were on this planet the group's anxiety level regarding strangers had increased dramatically. She couldn't blame them for being wary of Sheppard and the others in his group though, she would be too if she didn't already know him.
"Sheppard?" Devon suddenly asked looking up at him. "Yes?"
"How did you find me?"
"I heard your call, remember?," he answered slowly, flashing a smile at her. Changing the subject he continued, "maybe we should join the others now." "Yes, I guess we should," she agreed.

"Who do you think he is Yale?" Magus asked the cyborg while she handed him a plate of food.
"I don't know, but it looks like we're about to find out," Yale answered, nodding towards the door where Devon and Sheppard had emerged. She guided him to the table where Uly and True were sitting and then walked over to get the plates offered by Magus. After everyone had settled down to eat, Devon stood and cleared her throat to get the group's attention. "Look, I know everyone has been wondering about what exactly happened the last two days and who the other group of settlers are," she started, "but..." Before she could finish Sheppard interrupted. "Devon, it's alright, really," he offered. "I don't mind answering their questions."
She looked at him and sighed, " OK, if you're sure you're up to it." She sat down and waited for the inquisition to begin. Morgan Martin, never being one to put off questions he might have, was the first to start. "Who are you, and how did you get here?" he asked between mouthfuls of dinner.
"My name is Sheppard, and I was banished here by the Council, as were a few others in my group. Most of the group was sent here as political prisoners because the Council felt they were a threat. We have all learned to live together here on this planet and have made peace with the Terrians... and with ourselves." His voice trailed off with the last comment as he seemed to be saying it to himself more so than the group. "How long have you been here?" Cameron inquired. "I myself have been here for over 30 years I suppose. It's hard to think in station time anymore. Others have been here even longer." The questions continued and Sheppard shared that several clusters of the group had been sent here together. They eventually had found each other and decided to stay in this area. The Terrians had allowed them to live in the caverns because without tools they were unable to build structures that could withstand the winters. They also felt safer from the ZEDS and renegade penal colonists who refused to join them.
"Are there any more penal colonists in the area?" Morgan asked worriedly. "No, they moved on when they realized they weren't welcomed by the Terrians and had no place to live."
"What about ZEDS?" someone else asked.
"There are none left here," Sheppard answered, not offering an explanation for what exactly happened to the ZEDS that were encountered. "Uly said you used the terrians and the dreamplane to tell Devon about this planet," True said to the stranger knowing that it would bring about a strong reaction from the group.
"What?" several people gasped together. "What are you talking about True?" a startled Yale asked. "Listen everyone," Devon said, raising her voice just enough to be heard over murmurs of the group, "if you will all just quiet down some, I'll explain." Everyone became quiet and waited expectantly for their leader to proceed. Devon continued, clearly wanting to explain this part herself. "Apparently when the Terrians sleep, the dreamplane becomes even stronger . While they slept, they allowed the people in Sheppard's group to use them and the dreamplane to contact family back on the stations. Somehow," she continued, glancing over at Sheppard and smiling, "Sheppard was able to dream to me. He found out about Uly's illness and told me about this planet and how it would heal him. I must have forgotten about the dreams because I really didn't remember them until I met him again in the tunnels." Devon finished, deliberately leaving out the part about how she and Sheppard had become lovers in the dreams. That, she decided, was something they definitely did not need to know.
"That's just too weird," Baines said to no one in particular. "You mean the Terrians are able to contact people on the stations?" Julia asked incredulously.
"No, they themselves can't do it," Sheppard explained, rejoining the conversation, "there must be an emotional link to be able to project that far on the dreamplane. The Terrians are a somewhat emotionless species and besides, they have never had any reason to want to extend the dreamplane outside of this planet. All of their support comes from the planet itself. With our emotional bond to our families on the stations and the Terrians' mastery of the dreamplane, we were able to contact our loved ones to let them know that we were well. Obviously, they would receive our messages as dreams but they were received nonetheless. This helped our group to heal and accept life on this planet. It also afforded us a way to still have some contact with the stations.
"Why exactly were *you* sent to this planet?" Everyone turned toward the door of the biodome where John Danziger had just entered. He walked over to where his daughter was sitting and laid a protective arm around her. The mechanic held the older man's gaze and waited for his response. All other eyes in the room also looked towards the stranger expectantly. After a short pause, Sheppard spoke. "I was sent here as a penal colonist," he said simply, continuing to meet Danziger's stare.
"A penal colonist?" Morgan snorted, "You mean we've asked another penal colonist to join our group?" The rest of the group was also obviously upset by the revelation.
Yale, knowing first hand that the Council often branded someone a criminal to suit their own purpose calmly asked, "What did you do?" "I did some very foolish things when I was younger," Sheppard answered. He looked away from Danziger, no longer wishing to indulge in a staring contest, and gazed at the assembled Eden crew. "I was very impressionable and allowed myself to be influenced by the wrong people." "That's a very vague answer mister, care to be a little more specific?" Danziger prodded, ignoring the glare that he was getting from Devon. Stiffening a little Sheppard proceeded to give the group the same explanation that he had given Devon in the caves. "I have... had," he corrected himself glancing in Danziger's direction, "a sister. A twin sister. We were very close, but she was very emotionally unstable. She had joined a cult and to protect her, I joined too. This particular cult practiced black magic. I was drawn deeper into their fanaticism by my sister until I too didn't know reality." He hesitated before he continued, "I participated in an act where several people were accidently killed and I was sent here as punishment...I have been paying for it since. Not a day goes by that I'm not filled with regret and remorse for the actions of my youth." Sheppard finished, not offering any more information to the group. A silence hung over the assembled crew while they each considered the explanation that Sheppard gave. Devon was the first one to speak, "Look, he has admitted that he made some terrible mistakes when he was younger but that was a very long time ago. He has paid for those mistakes and has found peace on this planet. He helped give Uly and all the other children that are coming here a chance to live. If it hadn't been for him, we would have never known about this planet. The Terrians have accepted him and his group and I think we should also. "
"Just like that," Danziger challenged. "No questions asked?" "John," Devon started but again Sheppard interrupted. "Mr. Danziger, I don't blame you for being wary of me. I know you heard some things about me that might be of some concern to you, but I assure you, they were the ravings of a madwoman. I am no longer that foolish boy who was so easily manipulated. My sister's sleep capsule malfunctioned and she woke up on this planet an old woman. For someone who was very beautiful and vain in her youth, you can imagine what kind of strain that put on her already unstable emotional well-being. She had become insane over the years and couldn't tell reality from fantasy. She was dependent on me and became very distressed when she found out I was leaving with Devon and your group. She would say anything to keep me from leaving. I have paid for my crimes and have lived a good life on this planet." The two men continued to look at each other, neither one's gaze wavering.
Sensing the growing tension in the room and wishing to avoid any confrontations, Yale stepped forward. "Well, I don't see a reason to make any decisions about this tonight. It's been a long day. Why don't we all just get some rest and we can discuss it again tomorrow." Most of the group reluctantly agreed and began leaving the main building. " Sheppard, you may use the extra cot in my tent," Yale offered, not really giving the other man a choice. "John, could I talk to you." The way Devon spoke the words, they sounded more like an order than a request.
Danziger paused, looking back at Devon then patted True on the head, "Go ahead and get ready for bed True-Girl, I'll be there in a minute to tuck you in." He walked over to where she was standing with her arms crossed. He hadn't seen her look this angry since the first time he challenged her when they crashed onto this planet. Well, this time he wasn't going to give in. Walking slowly to deliberately make her wait, he crossed the biodome to stand in front of her.
"What is it Adair?"
"How dare you," she hissed, "how dare you intentionally try and get the group to distrust Sheppard."
"I don't know what you're talking about," he answered becoming angry at her for defending the other man.
"You most certainly do," she countered straining to keep her voice down. "You knew pressing the fact that he was sent here as a penal colonist would make everyone scared and suspicious of him." "Good," he responded, his anger continuing to rise and meet hers, "they need to be, and so do you. Look Devon, the only things we know about this guy is what *he's* told us and I ain't buying it." "He has changed John, he's made amends for his mistakes." "Says who? The Elder? Him? You, because you met him in some dream that he was producing, directing and starring in? If you want to be naïve about this then go ahead Adair, I can't stop you. But I'll be damned if I'm gonna let that guy hurt anyone I care about. I don't trust him and I'll be watching every move he makes. A leopard doesn't change *it's* spots." With that Danziger stormed out of the biodome, leaving Devon standing there shaking her head. 'He is so infuriating,' she fumed, staring after him. 'But could he be right?' a small voice in the back of her mind whispered. Sheppard had watched the heated exchange from across the room. He wished he could hear exactly what was being said. All he could tell was that both of them were very angry. 'Well,' he thought as he watched Danziger leave the building, 'it seems that Mr. Danziger is not too happy with my presence here. I certainly hope he comes around... it would be in the best interest for everyone.'
"Devon, is everything alright?" he asked, coming up behind her. "It will be." she answered turning around, giving him a tired smile. "I think I'll take Yale's advice and turn in, it has been a long day." "Yes, you look tired. You should get some rest," he agreed, touching her cheek,
"I'll see you in the morning."
"Goodnight Sheppard."
"Goodnight Devon, sweet dreams."

End Part 4