- Text Size +

Story Notes:
As you will all see from the beginning message, this way my first story and I had alot of trouble coming out of my shell to post it. I find that, I don't really write a story, the story writes itself. With that in mind, if it offends you, please don't blame me. It had no name so I'll call it "Second Chances" for what of a better name. The title didn't write itself in this case.

Vic, I can only do this if I think you are the only one reading it. I'll send you part. If you promise me you won't share it with anyone, I'll send you the rest. I've never written anything so I'm very nervous about this. Shelleyann was the only one to read it when I wrote it in May. Here goes:


SECOND CHANCES, Part 1
by Cathy F. Bolton

It had been only an hour since they had broken camp when the TransRover began to emit a loud grinding noise from it's undercarriage. John Danziger immediately shut the rover down and slid under the machine. Soon muffled oaths reached the rest of the group as they gathered around the vehicle waiting for their chief mechanic's verdict.

Finally he slid out. Wiping grease off his hands and looking disgusted as he looked up, "Well people, we aren't going anywhere for awhile." Ignoring the groans he added, "And I'm going to need some help if you want to get moving in a day or so."

While addressed to the group, Danziger was looking at Devon. Since they had crashed on the planet, she was the one pushing them toward their goal of New Pacifica at twelve miles a day. At times, Devon and Danziger had angerly gone head to head over decisions that effected the group. Now, the only reaction he saw as he studied her face was a slight tighening of her jaw and a voice weary with frustration as she gave the order to make camp. In a voice strangely resigned, she simply said, "Tell us how we can help."

Danziger harshly called out the names of those he needed. He was angry. He couldn't decide what made him madder, his machines for breaking down or Devon for pushing them so hard that they failed.

The rest of the group despersed. This was just one more roadblock on their journey and they were beginning to get use to not questioning, only doing what was nesessary to overcome each barrier.

Julia wondered how much more fixing she would have to do as she escorted Baines from the Medical tent. Frustration, impatience, exhaustion and heavy machinery were all the ingredients needed to supply her with an endless stream of smashed fingers, cuts and bruises.

"Try to keep your hand clean so it doesn't become infected." she advised him. Baines nodded ruefully as he walked back to the work group.

As the group's only doctor, they trusted and depended on her to keep them well. She tried to maintain an outward confidence she seldom felt. In truth, Julia worried any time someone was injured because she knew so little about this strange world. There was always the invisable threat of it's viruses and bacteria. With a limited medical supply, she was ill equipped to fight exotic diseases she had never encountered.

Still despite the hardship, she felt an awe for the beauty of this place and it's secrets. It touched her soul and challaged all her preconceived notions of order and security. She found that both frightening and exciting. It made her feel more alive then any other time in her life.

Then again, the same feeling could be said of her growing love affair with Alonzo, the ship's pilot. He became her first patient when he was injured in the crash. She had guarded him fiercely to prove her ability but his independent nature couldn't handle his sudden dependence on her for help. For a long time they were both volatile and vulnerable to each other.

Julia past was shrouded in a web of deception. Her loyalty to a belief she was raised not to question had come apart when she learned her beloved council had planned the crash of their ship. A war had raged inside her as she was torn between the council and her mission to spy on the same people she now felt a growing love and concern for as they shared day to day hardships. She had seen her dark side, and it frightened her. Only Alonzo's belief in her goodness had given her the courage to ask for a second chance, to prove to the rest of the group and ultimately to herself that this is where she truely belonged.

She looked to the work group and found Alonzo hard at work with Danziger. Her expression was one she rarely showed in public.

As Julia turned back, she noticed movement on the ridge above her tent. Brushing her hair from her eyes, she saw Devon's son Uly, struggling to hang on to what looked like a large ball. As he attempted to secure his grip, he lost his footing and slid down the sharp incline. Julia rushed up the slope to where he lay and knelt beside him.

"Uly, are you O.K?" she asked as she visually scanned him for any injury. He gazed around at the broken pieces of his treasure and took in the mess of green goo all over his clothes before looking up at Julia and saying,. "Mom is going to kill me." Julia was looking at the mess too but with more curiousity. Satisfied that Uly was fine, she waved her Diaglove over the remains. It seemed to be some kind of fruit.

"Where did you find this?" she asked. He gestered behind him, "Just up the hill and kind of follow a path to the left. It leads through the trees to a field with some rocks. Their growing all over the place. Want to see?" he asked hopefully.

"Yes, uh, no. Not right now. First we have to get you cleaned up and I think Yale has been looking for you, Something about lessons? she teased him. Dejected, head down, feet dragging, Uly set off down the hill. After a wishful look up the slope, Julia followed him.

Devon was waiting as they came into camp. "Uly, where have you been? Yale has been looking all over for you and what have you gotten into? " He looked up at her excited, "I've found something really neat and I was going to show Julia where it is so we can bring some back to camp." Devon looked at Julia. "Nice try, Uly, but I think you are going for a washup and on to your lessons", Julia said as she smiled down at him.

She looked at Devon. "Uly may have found some sort of fruit. Unfortuneately, he picked a very ripe one. If I can find something alittle less ripe, we might be able to suppliment our diet. Anyway, since everyone is breaking for lunch, I thought I might take a run up and check things out while no one needs me."

Seeing Uly's disappointment at being left behind, she told him, "Don't worry. It's your discovery and you get to name it." Suddenly he was interested in asking Yale's advise on some grand name and he ran off in his teacher's direction. Devon turned to go after Uly but yelled back to Julia's retreating figure. "Julia, take your gear and stay in touch. Don't go far or be long." Julia waved but in her mind she was already wondering what she would find and how it might help the group.

All day as the colonist worked, two men watched from the top of the ridge. They kept out of sight of the small boy who passed just feet from them. They were more interested in the group's supplies but they also watched the women intensely. They lacked the courage to try to steal anything since there were only two of them against so many. Now suddenly, they couldn't believe their luck as one of the woman was headed straight toward them. They faded back into the shadows as she passed and then followed her silently as she topped the ridge and followed the path to the left.