- Text Size +


SECOND CHANCES, Part 3
by Cathy F. Bolton


Devon had asked Bess to keep a channel open. She would report her position and observations as she went. This way, Bess could alert Alonzo and John if there was a problem. Bess settled down in the med. tent to listen and wait.

As Devon topped the ridge, Julia's signal suddenly ceased. Devon hesitated, she wondered if she should return to camp and get the men. She was armed and it might be something as simple as the equipment malfunctioning. She decided to go on. She turned the MagPro on. It's humming sound gave her some confidence and Bess was still with her online so it wasn't as if she was alone.

She didn't know Bess had missed her report about Julia's signal. Morgan had tracked his wife down and was whining over her desertion just when he needed her most. "Bess, it wasn' t my fault. The wrench just slipped. They made me hold it so long my arm must have fallen asleep or something.'' Bess was having trouble hearing Devon over Morgan's continous complaining. Finally, she said to him "Morgan, honey, can we discuss this later, I can't hear Devon." He looked at her like she was crazy, "Oh sure, take their side!" and he went on and on and on...

His name was Nicolas Bridger and he was sentenced and brought to 889 by the council for his crimes. The planet was his prison and his death sentence. He felt everyday he was able to stay alive he beat the council in some small way. Today he had gotten sloppy.

He had figured Coleman could handle the girl when the com. gear came on. His first thought was to shut it down before it could signal their location. He was amazed that she was able to overpower his partner so quickly. His anger had turned to rage, not because he felt any remorse for Coleman, it was just that he had slipped up. The rock and the smashed com. gear fell from his hands.

He leaned over the girl, wondering if she was dead. She seemed very pale under a rich tan. A large area of her forehead was swollen and blood flowed freely where the rock had broken the skin. Her hair had come loose and he brushed it aside to feel her neck for a pulse. It was soft as silk and the color of finely spun gold. He felt a pulse and let his hand run through her hair enjoying the feel of it. His hand continued down her body and he felt his own begin to respond. She was thin. Her journey had worn away any fat leaving only lean muscle behind. She was stronger then she looked.

Satisfied she was alive, he almost gave into his desire. The instinct that had kept him alive all these years warned him this was not the time or place. Now he needed to get away before they came looking for her. He stripped Coleman of anything useful and was picking up the girl when the large carrion birds took flight from a distant tree where they waited. Their cries protested being disturbed. Bridger knew someone was coming. He climbed the tree for a better view, keeping out of sight. Another woman, this one had a weapon. He looked at the weapon with longing. More than anything he wanted it's power in his hands. As he watched a plan formed in his mind.

Devon entered the field. "Bess, can you hear me? I'm coming into the field Uly described. She walked on looking for some sign of Julia. "Some of the fruit is broken, I don't like the look of this." She noticed what looked like blood "Tell John to come up and bring a few of the men. Tell him not to leave the camp unguarded."

As she talked, she looked around trying to understand what had happened here. Further below she spotted a shape on the ground under the tree. Because it was in the shadow cast by the heavy foilage of the tree, she could not determine what it was. With gun raised and her finger on the trigger, she walked toward the tree. Her eyes darted around and she felt her heart beat quicking as she told Bess, "I'm checking out something under a tree in front of me. Stay with me."

Bess's assurance didn't help calm her nerves much. Her eyes began to adjust to the dim light as she walked from the bright sun to dark shade. The form took the shape of a man. Blood thick and drying ran from his eyes, nose and mouth. The sound and sight of insects drawn by the smell and moisture caused Devon to turn away in horror.
At the last second, she caught sight of Julia's body. She was laying face down, covered and almost hidden by the man's body. Devon could see she was covered with blood.

She could not remember what happend next. She heard her own voice yelling for John telling him to hurry, Julia was down and she needed help. It was all flooding her senses too quickly. The sight of death and the smell of blood, heavy as the fear she felt clutching her heart.

Then she was on her knees, pulling him away, trying to reach Julia. The gun was forgotten at her side. Bess's questioning voice annoyed her. Nothing mattered to her more than finding out if her friend was alive. She said out loud to no one."Not after we come this far. Don't let this happen." Finally, by using her own body weight she managed to pull him away.

It was then that the sky seemed to fall on her and a blow knocked her backwards. She sat up dizzy and disoriented. Slowly the world refocused and it consisted of the large barrel of the MagPro pointed an inch from her face.