- Text Size +


SECOND CHANCES, Part 5
by Cathy F. Bolton


Only ten minutes before, Julia had lain where Alonzo knelt. Devon's voice reached through the darkness and found Julia but she fought against the journey into reality and the light. There were other noises and a strange voice. Memory returned, an unwelcomed visitor. She knew there would be no peace.

Bridger reached over and pulled the gear from Devon's head and crushed it. She looked passed the barrel of the gun at her assailant. "What do you want?" He smiled. The gun barrel caressed her cheek, tracing it's way down her neck before settling in the middle of her chest. "Guess." Devon glanced toward Julia, "Did you have to kill her to get it." "Only Coleman's dead. "I could have killed her... just like that." He snapped his fingers.
"But I like to finish what I start and now I don't have to share."

"Your friends will be here soon, so I suggest we save this little chat for a more intimate time." He motioned for her to get up. "Walk to the large rocks." He pointed to an area where large bouldars lay at the base of rock wall. "There is a small opening into a cave. Drop into the opening and wait. Any tricks and I'll kill your friend."
Devon tried to stall. "How do I know you won't shot me when my back is turned."
He raised the gun, "Because if you don't get moving, I'll shoot you before you turn your back."

Knowing she had no option and with a longing look toward camp, she turned and walked in the direction he indicated. It took her a few moments to find the opening. Looking back, she saw he had lifted Julia on to his shouldar and was watching her.
She looked into the hole trying to gauge how deep it went. The light reached only inches into the dark maw. She lowered herself as far as she could before letting go. Spider webs brushed her face as she fell, then she landed on a soft dirt floor.

Julia was losing her battle with consciousness. The pain, when he lifted her, mixed with vertigo and she felt like she was going to vomit. He had picked up a tree limb and was brushing it back and forth wiping away their trail as he walked backwards. Her head throbbed from the pressure of being head down. She had heard him give Devon directions and knew she must try to leave a marker for Alonzo to follow. Keeping her eyes open made her dizzy. She had to close her eyes to concentrate. When she reopened them they were at the hole. She had to act. With her fingers, she pushed off her thumb ring and saw it land in the grass. He was in the act of slidding her forward into the hole and didn't notice her movement.

Her body began to pick up momentum and he tightend his grip as he lowered her. His hands slid up her body and her blood ran cold at his touch. She pushed him away. Surprised, he let go and she fell on top of Devon who was trying to reach her. They both fell to the floor. Bridger laid the tree limb beside the hole and lodged himself so that he could cover the hole with it before he jumped free. He landed on his feet and lit a small light, swinging the gun looking for them. They were against the wall, Devon holding Julia protectively as if she were a small child.

"Get up." he grabbed Julia's arm pulling her up and toward him. "Don't like me touching you?" When she didn't respond he shoved her away. Devon grabbed her before she fell. Poking them with the gun, he indicated direction and they began a journey through a nightmare with no awakening.