- Text Size +


SECOND CHANCES, Part 6
by Cathy F. Bolton


The tunnel went to the left, sloping upward. Soon it became an exhausting climb and they gasped air thick with dust. They endured a gauntlet of sharp rock, tripping and clawing at them in the dim light.

Only Devon's iron will kept Julia on her feet, encouraging and half carrying her when she faultered. They knew there was no alternative as he drove them relentlessly.

After what seemed an eternity in the dark, small shafts of light filtered through a porous ceiling. They were close to the surface and there was the sound of water somewhere.

In what seemed a small miracle, he stopped them and motioned with his light toward a small stream trickling down the rock face. He drank his fill first, making them wait. Then he settled back to watched them.

Devon cupped hands scrapped raw in the climb.The water stung but it was sweet and cold. It seemed to revive Juila also. When they were done, Devon riped a piece of her shirt and dipped it into the spring. She knelt beside Juila and gently wiped the dirt and blood from her face. The constant motion had reopened the wound, new blood followed old trails, caking her eye almost closed. Devon used part of a sleeve to make a bandage for her friend's head.

"Julia, How badly do you think you're hurt." she asked as she worked. The doctor answered, diagnosing her symptoms. "Headache, blurred vision, nausea, all the signs of a concussion. I don't know if my skull is fractured." Her voice trembled," I don't think I can keep up much longer. Devon, please promise if something happens to me, you'll tell Alonzo..." she looked away, tears filling her eyes.

Devon grabbed her hand, keeping her voice low, "We're going to get out of this, you can tell him yourself." But Julia went on, "I'm so sorry.." Devon raised her face looking her in the eye. "Julia, they could easily have taken Uly." and in her heart she was thankful he had been spared. "This wasn't your fault."

Julia held on to her. "You don't understand, I killed one of them." In Devon's mind's eye, she saw the sightless face of the man under the tree. Julia went on, needing to confess, "The Council trained us to fight from an early age. To protect ourselves and our mission if we were threatened. It's so instinctive, I lose control. Devon, if we weren't in VR that time on the cliff, I might have killed you in real life. Now you're here because of me.... helping me to go on.... when maybe you shouldn't. I'm suppose to save life, not take it."

"Julia, listen to me. What you did was necessary to survive." Devon stated slowly and emphatically. "I would have done the same thing."

Bridger came out of the shadows, "So you're Council. I wondered how you learned to fight like that." He leaned close to her, "Well Julia, I'm going to think up something real special for you. A personal thank you for what the Council did to me." He handed Devon strips of cloth, "Tie her hands in front of her and gag her." Devon was up and in his face. "What are you going to do?" He didn''t answer her. "She is not responsible for what the Council did to you." He looked at her with hate. "You don't know anything about what they did to me."

Then suddenly he smiled, "Don't worry, I'm not going to kill her yet. I'm going to wait until she begs me." "Tonight!", as if he was suddenly inspired, "And don't feel left out, I'll make sure you get to watch everything." She came at him and the gun catch her in the throat. "Now do what I say and don't tie it too loose or I'll have to do it myself and you wouldn't like that."

Julia offered her hands to Devon. After she was done, he checked the knots and then tied Devon and gagged her. Bridger moved them a short distance, then with the butt of the gun poked at a spot in ceiling. Light flooded the tunnel as the top fell in. He helped them climb into the open.

They were on a high trail that skirted the side of the cliff. The trail was narrow, on one side a sheer wall, on the other loose stones that sharply angled away, then ended at the edge of a precipice. The trail was only wide enough for one. He made Devon take the lead with Julia following and he brought up the rear.

He seemed to take great pleasure in poking and sticking Julia in the back and legs with the gun. Once she fell and began to slide off the side. He grabbed her, pulling her back on the trail, whispering, "Careful Council, it's a long way down and you wouldn't want to miss tonight's festivities."

She got up and began to walk and Bridger glanced over the side. She turned back and saw him staring at something intensely below. She looked down also and strained her eyes. Three men stood on the valley floor looking at the ground. She watched in horror as Bridger raised the MagPro and aimed it at them. She knew at full setting, even at this distance, it was lethal. And, because she was gagged, she could not warn them.