- Text Size +


SECOND CHANCES, Part 7
by Cathy F. Bolton


Walman carried the top piece, which was the brains of the Zero unit, up to where Danziger and Alonzo were searching. "I brought lights and a first aid kit." Danziger looked up at the sun which was well into it's decent. "Good Idea", he said and they were aware of an increasing urgency. The night would conspire against their efforts. Alonzo couldn't shake the feeling of dread as night approached.

Danziger ordered the unit to scan for anything unusual in the area. After negative scans to the south and west, it reported a small, round, metal object lying in the grass about 20 meters to the north of their position. The men allowed it to guide them to the area. Walman was the first to spot the ring. Alonzo took it from him and said "It's Julia's. Maybe she left it as a kind of marker on which way they went."

Danziger looked at the ground around them. "There aren't any tracks." He walked on the tree branch and felt his leg slip into air and the other men grabbed him. Back on his feet, he pulled it away and they looked into an opening."Well, well, well, check this out. Maybe the ground did swallow them."

Up on the clift, Bridger watched as they discovered the entrance to the tunnel. Now they would be close behind. They could follow the tracks in the tunnel. He hadn't bothered to wipe those away. He would have to take them out quickly as they stood close together.
Luck was still on his side. He had seen them before it was too late. He sighted on the dark haired one in the middle, the blast should take him and wound the others. His finger had just touched the triggered as he heard her coming behind him. He was turning as she hit him with the full impact of her body.

Julia had no thought for her own safety. Just as she once stood between Alonzo and the ZED bullet, she was ready to sacrifice herself to save him and the others. She would rather die this way then wait for what Bridger had planned for her. It gave her satisfaction knowing he would never have her.

They both landed off the trail and began to slide in the loose gravel toward the edge of the cliff. Julia could do little to save herself. Bridger, at least, had his hands free and he was desperately grasping for something stable to hang on to.

Devon had turned with the sound and watched as events quickly played out. She watched as Julia slid and knew she could not reach her. She saw the gun lying on the trail and saw Bridger climbing to reach it. Devon ran for the gun. Bridger saw her coming and redoubled his efforts to reach it before her. Like sand in a hourglass, the earth slipped away beneath him and he lost precious moments in the race.

Devon arrived first, fumbling to lift the gun, handicapped because she was tied. She thought if she could balance it on her knees, she might steady it enough to reach the trigger and aim it. She sat, trying to brace herself and lift the gun. She dropped it twice before she got it to her knees. She looked up and saw him rise before her. She looked past him to see Julia had stopped her slid and managed to grab something to hold on to. She reached her finger toward the trigger and it caught as he pulled it from her lifting it high in the air away from her. A look of triumph on his face.

She brought her leg back and with all her strengh slammed it into his knee. His leg buckled and he went down cursing her in anger and pain. "Bitch, I'll kill you." He lunged for her, grabbing her leg and pulled her toward him. They both slid toward the edge. Julia reached for Devon but missed her as she passed by. He dropped the gun and it slipped over the edge.

As he felt himself go over, he left her go, grabbing for something to hold on to. Only stones came away in his hand and he slipped over the edge, a part of the planet he so hated accompanied him in a rain of gravel.

Devon continued to slip toward the edge. Death waited patiently below. She rolled on to her stomach, trying to use her hands. She felt a total mindless panic as her foot touch air. Uly's face flashed before her, she wanted to see him, hold him one more time. Who would take care of him?

Her legs slipped over. "Nooooooooo" she cried, denying her fate. She closed her eyes. She wondered if she would suffer or die quickly.