- Text Size +


WINTER, Part 2
By Cathy F. Bolton


Later, Devon knocked on Julia's door. Hearing no response, she pushed open the door. The room smelt sour. Julia had hung the collected vegetation from the braces that supported the dome. The room was dark, cluttered with plants and equipment, making passage difficult as Devon eased her way toward the form on the cot.

"Julia, are you awake?" As she got closer, she could see Julia's eyes were closed and she heard her rhythmical breathing which seemed to indicate the other woman was sound sleep. In the dim light, Devon studied her face noting that fatigue had marked her eyes, leaving them sunken and circled with darkness, a stark contrast against the paleness of her skin. Alonzo was right in being concerned she thought as she reached down to feel Julia's face for fever. She lightly brought her hand under the hair that always seemed to be in the younger woman's face and gently touched her forehead, hoping not to waken her.

Julia's skin felt cool and damp under her own warm hand. She responded to the touch, by stirring slightly and groaning in her sleep. Devon leaned back thinking of how she would approach the subject later when Julia woke. She was concerned too. Despite their friendship, there was the fact that Julia was an invaluable member of their group, her medical ability and continued resourcefulness had saved them on numerous occasions. Devon needed to know if something was wrong with the young doctor. For now, she had to be content with the fact that Julia was getting some much needed rest. She found another blanket and added it to the bed, tucking it around the sleeping woman before leaving quietly.

Morgan Martin sat in front of the computer monitor which displayed a topographical map of the area Alonzo and Danziger were scouting. He could track their location as they called in coordinates on the communication gear.

Devon came up behind him. "Any word from John or Alonzo?"

"They called in about 15 minutes ago." Morgan began to whine. "So far they haven't found anything. No food, no pass from this miserable valley, nothing, zero, zilch! I'm telling you Devon, whoever said this planet was habitable didn't know anything about the winter, not to mention, thieving Grendlers, those killer rodents or the Z.E.D.s. We'll probably all starve to death long before spring so I don't know why we should even bother to look for a pass."

Devon was sorry she asked. "Morgan, everyone is doing the best they can. The worse thing we can do is give up hope." She turned away hoping to end the conversation and saw Walman coming from outside, brushing snow from his coat.

"Man, you won't believe how hard it's snowing out there."

Devon brushed passed him to look outside. She heard Martin in the background. "Oh great, just what we need more snow. We'll probably wind up like that frozen Terrian popsicle we found before we get a chance to starve to death."

A dry powder fell steadily. In the wind it snaked across the icy crust of the old snow like white smoke. Devon felt uneasy about the look of it. She walked back to Morgan. "Where was the scouting party's last location?" Martin indicated an area about 10 klicks from the camp. Putting on gear she said, "Alonzo, John do you read me?"

Danziger and Alonzo had found new tracks in the snow. These were different from any they had seen before. More then twice the size of John's hand, they were circular in form. Whatever it was walked on four legs. With raised MagPros they had been following the tracks for about 10 mins when they came across an unnerving find. Devon's voice startled them as they stood looking at the scene before them. Alonzo looked at Danziger, then swung the eye piece of the gear forward to get a visual. "I'm reading you Devon. John and I have been following some strange tracks in the snow. The tracks brought us to a dead animal. It looks like it's been torn apart and partially eaten."

Devon was silent and Morgan's eyes grew wide as they took in the information. Giving away the nervousness she felt, Devon fidgeted and began to pace. "I want you to come back now. You don't know what your dealing with out there and it's snowing hard here at camp." For a few seconds there was no answer. "Alonzo did you copy my message about returning."

Danziger responded, "We heard you, we'll head back as soon as we figure a way to haul this meat back with us."

She put her hand to the earpiece wishing for privacy when there was none. She lowered her voice knowing the others were listening. "John, I think you should leave it. Whatever killed it might still be around."

He cut her off. "No way I'm leaving this meat Adair!" and Danziger snapped the gear off. "Come on Alonzo give me a hand."

Alonzo had shut off his gear too. He felt uneasy as if something was watching him in the gathering darkness of the oncoming storm. "Maybe Devon's right John. This doesn't belong to us. Whatever killed it might not like the fact that we are taking it."

Danziger gave him a disgusted look as he pulled a rope from his pack. "Yea, well too bad. If it wanted it that bad, it should have taken it. Seeing he wasn't convincing the other man, he said, "Look if we don't take it, something else will. This will feed all of us, Alonzo. I know I can't stand to see True go to bed hungry another night and didn't you tell me this morning that Julia was sick? This meat is the answer to our prayers, pal. We'd be crazy to leave it. If we get another storm like the last one, who knows how long it will be before we find anything to eat."

His words were prophetic as snow began to fall on them. Alonzo was torn as he looked around one more time. "Ok, but let's hurry and get out of here. This place gives me the creeps. I keep feeling like something's watching me."

It watched with runny deep set eyes intensely following every movement as the men gathered the dead animal. They tied the carcass with ropes and dragged it, leaving a bloody trail in the snow. It was the scent of blood that the predator now followed from a cautious distance. The animal had never seen these creatures and had retreated when it first smelled their scent. It was still hungry and it followed waiting for a chance to reclaim its kill.

Julia woke feeling drained. She was tempted to roll over and sleep till someone made her get up. Her eyes drifted over to the table and in her mind she began to analyze the results of her latest experiments. They had found a strange type of vegetation. The leaves were a leathery oval shape. The dead, dried remains of clusters of small red flowers surrounded a reddish type fruit. Analysis of the fruit showed traces of a protein structure which might be toxic. The plant did have nutritional value and with no way to determine how strong the poison might be, Julia had tried a small piece. Within minutes her body began to convulse. She hadn't expected such a violent reaction due to her enhanced genetic ability to stomach most foods and the small amount she had eaten. As a precaution, she had prepared an antidote. It was this that she directed Alonzo to after he found her.

The antidote had emptied her stomach till she was left dry heaving. It wasn't a pretty sight. It was a matter of pride that she didn't want Alonzo to see her in that condition. It was for this reason that she sent him away. Afterwards, drained from the near poisoning, she had collapsed into bed and fallen asleep. Now she felt guilty at the way she treated him. He had been so concerned about her and she remembered the hurt look on his face before he left. It was the thought of him that brought her out of bed. With one final look at the plant on the table, she dressed and went out front.

She was surprised to see the group assembled looking tense. They just glanced at her as she poured water from the thermos. Cameron was closest to her as he sat at the table watching Morgan, Devon, and Walman by the monitor.

"What' going on?"

Cameron looked up. "Alonzo and Danziger found a dead animal. They're told us they are bringing it back but now we can't seem to raise them on the gear. There is a bad storm going on and Devon's debating about sending us out to look for them. With Zero down for repairs, if they don't turn their gear on, there's no way to locate them.

Julia swallowed the water through a sudden lump in her throat. Putting the drink down she walked over to the monitor and touched Devon's arm. She caught the worried expression on the other woman's face as she turned but Devon managed to keep it from her voice.

"Julia! Are you feeling better?"

"I'm fine Devon. What's going on with Alonzo and John?"

Devon avoided her eyes. "Well, you know Danziger, he refuses to wear his gear. We're having some trouble reaching them. It started to snow a little while ago and I asked them to come back. They said they would."

"And?"

Devon seemed distant, lost in thought. Julia pulled her aside.

"Devon, there more to it then that, I can see it in your face."

Devon weighed her answer. Julia still looked pale and wasted. She didn't want to worry the younger woman but she knew Julia would keep on her till she knew the truth. "They found an animal that had been recently killed. Danziger was insisting on bringing the body back. With this storm coming on, I advised him to leave it. He didn't like my suggestion and shut down. We're trying to reach them now."

Julia took in the information, thinking how the meat would sustain them . "Well, the meat would be an excellent source of protein. God knows, we need it but not if it means risking themselves. Why does he have to be so stubborn about staying in touch? Alonzo should know better."

Before they came to this planet, few of them had ever tasted meat.. Back on the stations real meat was a luxury afforded only to the very rich or powerful. Most people depended on a synthetic protein to meet their basic needs. Since arriving, the group would eat meat only if they would find something that had recently died. Many of them still did not care to eat an animal that had once been alive. As they grew hungrier, this began to change. Still they did not hunt to kill but only to gather nut, berries and other vegetation. There was an unspoken agreement not to anger the Terrians with any sort of deadly aggression since their presence was tenuously tolerated. Weapons continued to be used for defense only.

The wind outside grew stronger as the storm increased in fury. Both women shared the same worried thoughts as they were unable to reach the scouting team. Finally, Julia spoke of the idea that had begun to form in her mind. "Devon, let me take a few of the others to their last coordinates. Maybe we can follow their tracks from there." Julia looked at the monitor. We could take the Rail part of the way to save time. If they are weighed down, we should be able to catch up." She waited for her leader's decision.

Walman shrugged, "It's worth a try Devon. I hate to just sit here."

Devon looked at them debating. "Ok Walman but take Baines. Julia, I think you should stay here"

Julia was stunned. "Why? They might need me."

Devon motioned with her head for Walman to get going. Looking from Devon to Julia and then back at the older woman he sensed something was going on that he had no knowledge of so he turned and left.

Suddenly fearful at being left behind, Julia called out to him "Walman wait for me. I'll be there as soon as I get the first aid kit." The doctor turned and hurried toward the back room.

"Julia, wait!" Devon caught her by the arm in the hallway. "Look, Alonzo asked me to talk to you. He's concerned about your health because of the way you're driving yourself and I agree. I know you mean well but I think, right now, you're in no condition to help. You might only hinder their efforts and I know you wouldn't want to do that." Devon words stung because she knew they were close to the truth.

She suddenly needed to explain. "Devon, I'm not sick from working too hard. I was just desperate to find something we could eat in the samples we brought back. There was one type of fruit which looked promising. It does have some nutritional value but the tests showed a mild toxin. I thought we might be able to tolerate it so I tried a piece. I guess my system is somewhat weakened from lack of food and rest because the reaction was stronger then I expected. I had to purge the poison out of my system so I took something to make myself throw up. I'm fine now."

Devon looked at her aghast. She raised her hand to stop the other woman from going on. "Wait a minute, Julia. Am I getting this right? You're testing this stuff on yourself?"

The young doctor felt suddenly defensive. "I know what I'm doing."

Devon shook her head not believing what she was hearing. "No, I don't think you do." Her voice was stern. "Julia, you are the one we depend on in an emergency. If something happens, if one of us is hurt, we need you to be alert and ready to handle the situation. Someone's life might depend on it. How are you going to do that if you're too sick to stand up? We might not be able to wait until you're feeling better."

The younger woman stood defeated in the face of Devon's logic. All her life she had been raised to believe that she must succeed whatever the cost. Her parents and the council had both impressed this on her with harsh punishment for any mistake she made. Now she felt a deep sense of failure, knowing it was that same desire to succeed and her own impatience which clouded her judgment. Despondency magnified her error as she became a victim of her past. With Devon's reproach, she felt the loss of approval which meant a great deal to her. She berated herself with the thought that she had alienated Alonzo and put John at risk when he took her place. If she had been well this morning, they both might be safe instead of lost in the storm. With these thoughts tumbling through her mind she began to turn away feeling disheartened.

Devon caught her. Cocking her head to read her friend's face, she was surprised to see how hard Julia had taken her words. Her voice was suddenly tender, trying to find the words to soften the impact.

"Julia, look at me. I know how hard you're working to find something we can use. I don't want you to think I don't appreciate your efforts but putting yourself in jeopardy is not the answer. I need you to take better care of yourself. For all of us, ok?"

She watched her friend's face anxiously trying to see if the other woman understood what she was trying to say. Julia shook her head, yes, still not trusting her voice. Devon put her hand on the other woman's shoulder and squeezed it affectionately. "Good! Now let's get back and see if we can get everyone home safely."

Julia was not ready to let the matter rest. She knew if anything happened to her friends she would never forgive herself.

In desperation she pleaded, "Devon, please, I need to go with the rescue team. Walman and Baines won't know what to do if John or Alonzo are injured. That might be the reason we can't reach them."

Devon looked into the other woman's pleading eyes weighing her decision. In her own mind, she would feel better if the doctor went along but she had no idea if Julia was still sick and she wondered at the risk of sending her into a blizzard.

"All right, I guess I'll have to rely on your professional judgment about how fit you are, but Julia, there's to be no more unnecessary risks taken by yourself or the others. Promise me that." Julia agreed and rushed to get her equipment.