- Text Size +


WINTER, Part 3
By Cathy F. Bolton


John and Alonzo were lost. Pulling the heavy carcass was exhausting work and they had tried to find a down hill route which would take them back toward the camp. As the storm worsened, visibility was cut to a few meters. They were unsure of their direction without landmarks to guide them. Alonzo tried to raise the camp on gear.

"I don't know if it's the storm or the fact that we're in a valley but I'm getting nothing but static."

They were huddled with their backs against the driving snow. He raised his voice above the sounds of the storm.

"Maybe if we go back up the ridge the reception will be better."

Danziger face was fierce with determination. "I'm not leaving this meat, Solace and I'm not going to haul it back up there either."

"Yea, well if we don't find our way out of this storm you might be hugging that carcass permanently Danziger. I'm sure True would rather go to bed without her supper then her father."

Danziger glared at him. Alonzo knew John wouldn't give in.

"All right stay here. I'll follow the tracks back up and see it I can raise the camp. If I can give them our location, maybe they can bring one of the vehicles close enough to meet up with us. Danziger shook his head in agreement. The pilot started back up the hill.

"Alonzo!" The younger man looked back. "Be Careful." Alonzo shook his head wondering if he'd ever understand John Danziger.

As Danziger watched his friend disappear into the storm, Alonzo words ate like acid into his resolve. With a sigh, he struggled to his feet and began to follow his friend. The storm would steal their meal but he be damned if it would steal their lives.

The Rail's wide tires dug into the deepening snow. Walman and Baines had been joined by Julia who sat tensely forward in the back of the vehicle. They drove the Rail as far as possible before the rough terrain made it necessary for them to resume the journey on foot. With help from camp, they were able to mark off coordinates and find the area where Alonzo and John first came across the dead animal. Baines confirmed their location with the camp.

"We found the area, you can still see some of the blood on the snow. There are two sets of tracks that must be Alonzo's and Danziger's leading off to the West. Looks like they're dragging the remains of whatever they found."

Back at camp, Devon felt relief for the first time all morning. "Great, do you think you'll be able to follow them without a problem?"

Baines shared a look with the other two before giving the woman ominous news

"Not so great Devon. There's another set of fresh tracks. I've never seen anything like them. Whatever it is, it's big and it's following our guys."

High on the ridge above the creature watched. It sensed the two men were weakening. It saw them stop, then split up. One came back up the hill toward it. As the animal sniffed the air, the man's scent grew stronger. Inside its huge furry head, a primitive brain formed no plan. Actions were based on an instinctive knowledge gleaned from years of hunting and killing to survive. A lone target offered less risk and it moved to find a spot to ambush the prey.

Devon called Yale over to the group gathered by the monitor.

"Baines, can you give us a visual on the tracks?"

Baines leaned down and swung his eyepiece out. The snow blurred the picture until he bent close. Yale studied the prints accessing his internal files.

"Does there seem to be four distinct prints?"

"Yea, looks that way Yale."

Yale turned to Devon. "Nothing we have seen so far matches these prints. Both the Kobas and the Grendlers walk upright. We know very little about what type of creatures exist on this planet. If you'd like, I can access Earth's creatures. I may be able to find something similar." She nodded and waited as he downloaded and scanned the information. In a lectured voice, he informed the group of his findings. "The prints resemble those of Earth's largest members of the order Carnivore. Some of those animals could grow up to 3 m (10ft) and weigh 780 kg (1700 lb). Species vary on feeding habits but I think it would be safe to say this one is a meat eater." and he hesitated before saying "These animals were known to attack man." He pulled up holographic images of different types of animals from his cybernetic arm. They all showed large beasts equipped with impressive claws and teeth.

"Oh God!" Morgan exclaimed. He looked around fearfully. The bio-dome's thin walls seemed to offer little in the way of defense.

True ran to Yale. "Will it hurt my Dad and Alonzo, Yale?"

They had been so absorbed they hadn't noticed the children had come in from the room where they were playing. Yale was upset that True had overheard the conversation. He tried to ease her fears .

"Not as long as they are together. Alonzo and your father are both strong men and they have the MagPro's to protect them. "

Uly ran to his mother. "There are monsters on this planet aren't there Mom?." and Devon wrapped her arms around her small son.

"No Uly, just creatures we haven't seen before that doesn't make them monsters."

"Still, I bet Alonzo and Mr. Danziger will blow it to pieces with the MagPros" and he began to shoot at unseen monsters with his imaginary gun.

With her eyes, Devon pleaded with Yale to take the children away. He took his cue.

"Come children, time for your lessons, let me tell you about a time when some of these animals were once trained to do amazing tricks."

True didn't want to leave without knowing what was happening to her father. Devon bent down to reassure her.

"It's ok True, I promise I'll let you know as soon as we contact your dad. Baines, Walman and Julia are not far behind them so they all be home soon."

True knew she was being told politely to stay out of the adult's way so she nodded and reluctantly joined Uly and Yale.

Back in the valley, the wind whipped the fine, frozen, precipitation in every direction forming a condition known as a whiteout. Alonzo was numb from the cold. Small plumes of condensation rose from his labored breathing as he climbed through the deep drifts leaning on the MagPro for support. As he reached the crest, he leaned the gun against a tree and fumbled in his pocket for the gear. His hands were so cold he had lost feeling in them a while ago. Cupping them to his mouth, he blew the heat of his breath onto his fingers trying to warm them enough to handle the unit.

The wind driven snow stung his face. As he tried to adjust his direction for shielding, a huge shape rose in front of him. A tremendous roar blasted his ears. Instinctively he jumped, falling on his back in the snow. He raised his arm in defense trying to protect his head. As seconds passed without incident, he peered around his arm cautiously. A large animal, its dark fur coated and matted into an icy crust advanced close to him. When it caught his movement, it snarled menacingly showing huge yellow fangs. Alonzo glanced toward the gun and his heart sank as he judged the distance. The animal was too close for him to reach it in time. The creature seemed to hesitate unsure of itself as it grew close enough to touch. When Alonzo didn't move, it lowered its head and sniffed at his outstretched leg. Alonzo felt himself stiffen, he could almost feel the pointed fangs biting deep into his thigh.

The creature's head came up, testing the air. Danziger's panicked voice reached him from somewhere below. The animal became agitated. Alonzo knew it was a moment away from attacking him. He chose the second its eyes shifted to roll from it and he dove for the gun. The animal was on him in a second and its claws raked his shoulder tearing easily through the jacket into his skin. The force to the blow slammed him into the tree and he fell at its base unconscious. The creature went for his neck to finish the kill.

Danziger raised the MagPro and it shook in his hand. He had decided a few minutes after Alonzo left to give up the meat. Following him up the slope, he wasn't far behind when he heard the roar. Calling his friend's name, he came running. Seeing the creature had not yet attacked, he froze afraid of spooking the animal. He slowly raised his weapon. Snow melted against his face and steams of icy water ran over his brow into his eyes blurring his vision as he tried to target the creature. He blinked hard trying to clear his vision.

As he opened his eyes, he saw Alonzo roll to the side. Before he could adjust to the animal's movement, its huge paw lashed out knocking Alonzo down. Danziger squeezed the trigger, praying he wasn't too late. The shot had hit the tree above Alonzo, showering the animal with bark. It jumped back, startled by the noise and the impact. A second shot kicked up snow at the base of its feet. Confused by the noise of the assault and scenting the arrival of others, it turned and beat a hasty retreat. Danziger looked in the direction of the second shot. Walman stood with the gun to his shoulder, following the animal in the gun's sight, he popped off rounds to encourage its flight. Julia and Baines ran past him to the still form by the tree.

John approached fearful of what he would find. Julia looked up at him from where she knelt.

"He's alive."

As they waited, she did a quick analysis on Alonzo's condition out loud.

"It looks like the animal's claws ripped his skin though the jacket. The extra layers of clothing may have protected him somewhat because there doesn't seem to be a great amount of bleeding. I don't think it's too bad but until I get his jacket and clothing off, I won't know for sure. There are abrasions on his face where he must have hit the tree, again these aren't that serious. We have to get both of you out of this weather. There's a real danger of frostbite and hypothermia from your prolonged exposure to the wind and cold."

She took her gloves off and brushed the snow from Alonzo's face looking for signs that his skin was frozen. He groaned and began to regain consciousness.

Looking up into the concerned faces he focused with effort.

"Julia, what are you doing here?"

Relief surfaced in a gallows humor as Walman answered. "We heard you were bringing home dinner or was it something was bringing you home for dinner?"

Laughing, Baines added, "Seems that animal didn't like the taste of you Alonzo and just spit you into the nearest tree."

Danziger sighed, "And here I thought I was happy to see you guys."

"Well we're happy to see you, especially if it means a hot meal tonight. So where's this banquet?"

Danziger looked from Baines toward the valley floor. "Down there. We couldn't reach camp on the gear. Alonzo thought we'd have a better chance up here. I wouldn't leave the meat at first so he came up alone. It's my fault this happened Julia. We should have stayed together." The pilot and the mechanic exchanged meaningful looks.

Julia was pulling thermal blankets from her backpack, she handed Danziger one. "The only thing that's important is that you're both safe."

Danziger watched her as he took the blanket. He thought she might be angry with him for what almost happened but he saw that she meant it. There was only a genuine concern for their needs.

She wrapped the other blanket around Alonzo who was sitting up. Her diaglove indicated the men's core temperatures were below normal. They were both shivering as their bodies tried to generate heat. She would have given anything for a few chemical heat packs now but their supply was probably at the bottom of some Grendler's stash.

"Baines, see if you can reach camp. Tell them to prepare two tubs of warm, not hot, water for John and 'Lonz, foot baths for you and Walman. Also, plenty of hot drinks. Have Bess brew some of her herbal tea."

Danziger made a face. He hated that stuff.

Baines fooled with his gear. Between the static, bits of Devon's voice came through. "Bain..did yo..fin.."

He wasn't sure if she was having as much trouble hearing him so he spoke loudly. "Devon, we got them. Alonzo lost some skin due to a close encounter with...." he looked to Walman for a name but the other man just shrugged"....whatever that thing was. Julia says he should be ok but she wants you to get some stuff ready " He went on to repeat Julia's instructions, hoping she understood him.

"Alonzo can you walk if I help you?"

"I'm ok Julia." and he began to rise.

"No, you only think you're all right because you're half frozen and can't feel anything."

"Maybe but I can still walk."

He staggered a little getting to his feet and she took his arm and slid under it so that it draped around her shoulder. He began to protest but thought better of it.

"John, can you make it back ok?"

Danziger winked at her. "No problem Doc. I can't wait for some of that herbal tea."

As Julia, Alonzo, and Danziger started back, Baines and Walman looked at each other.

Finally Walman said, ""Hey, wait a minute. What about the food?"

Danziger replied, "Guess we'll have to leave it for now. Maybe come back for it later"

"But how are we going to find it?"

Danziger leaned close "I left my gear on it."

Walman wasn't sure he was happy with this until a mournful howl rose above the noise of the wind. With the sound came a sudden chill which made his hair stand on edge. They all looked in the direction of the cry.

"Yea, later's fine."