- Text Size +

Story Notes:
Hello,

This is another story centred around Julia and Alonzo. I just can't help it. There are my favourites.

Please let me know what you think.

Sabrina


Connection (1/3)
by Sabrina Sestito

Alonzo Solace, the stranded Eden Advance's pilot, was on a solitary overnight scout. He was trying to find a pass through the mountains for the vehicles. The group had been stuck at the Winter Camp for a while now. He did like to get away from the group so that he could explore this strange new world of G889. However, if truth be known, he missed Dr Julia Heller, who was the Group's only medical doctor and his lover. He invited her to come along with him on this scout. She had agreed, but unfortunately, Baines injured his leg and was in need of the Doctor's services. This constant reminder of his deep feelings for Julia surprised him. He was, indeed, a changed man.

The next day, Alonzo returned to the Biodome and reported that he had no luck in finding a pass through the mountains. After having a quick dinner, Alonzo went to bed early, feeling tired after his scout.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


That night, Alonzo had a lot of problems sleeping. Besides being overtired, he kept having strange thoughts about Julia.

Some while ago, the group had discovered that Julia was a council spy sent on the Eden project to spy on them. Alonzo wondered whether they were doing the right thing by now trusting her. Could she now be trusted? Was she still in contact with the Council? Alonzo tossed and turned, but could not get those strange thoughts out of his mind.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The next morning, Alonzo was so confused and upset. Was Julia a traitor? Could she be trusted? Did she deserve his love and the trust of the group. How could he have been fooled by her. He quickly got up and dressed. He left Julia sleeping and went in search of Devon and Danziger. He found them having breakfast.

"Devon, John, I need to speak to you, privately", Alonzo said.

"Can it wait until after breakfast", asked Danziger.

"No", shouted Alonzo, "I need to speak to you, now".

Both Devon and Danziger were surprised at Alonzo's outburst. They got up and followed Alonzo out of the Biodome.

Once they were a fair distance away from anyone, Alonzo turned to them and said, "Look, guys, I know that this may seem strange, but I don't trust Julia."

"What!!", exclaimed both Devon and John.

"Look, I have been thinking and I don't think that we should trust Julia. She was, and may still be, a council spy. She was sent on this mission to spy on us. How can we trust her knowing that. She operated on your son, Devon and she tried to kill you. How can we believe her?"

"Alonzo, you of all people never lost faith in Julia. Why do you question her loyalty now?" Devon queried.

"Well, I'm not sure. I just have this feeling that she should not be trusted. I think that she has manipulated us into believing her. She has manipulated me the most. This is most probably due to my connection with the Terrians. She needs to know what is going on."

Devon and Danziger looked at eachother and then looked at Alonzo.

Devon said, "Look, Alonzo, Julia has proven her loyalty over and over again, since our discovery of her Council affiliation. Julia risked her life when she went up against the ZED. I trust her completely." Devon paused and then continued, "Alonzo, you have not shown me anything which could make me doubt her. I am not buying your argument."

Alonzo could not believe it. "Devon", he shouted, "are you saying that you believe Julia more than you believe me? She was a Council spy!!"

"I did not say that, Alonzo", responded Devon. "I am simply saying that I have grown to trust Julia." Devon then looked to Danziger and back to Alonzo. "Look, let's just keep an eye on her for now. OK?"

Both men nodded in agreement and went their separate ways.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Later that morning, Julia caught up with Alonzo. "Hey, fly-boy", she cried, "I missed you at breakfast. Where did you go?"

"Nowhere", Alonzo responded angrily. "I needed to do a few things. Is that OK with you!!"

"Of course, Alonzo", Julia said. She looked closely at him and could see that he was angry and upset. "Hey, what's wrong?", she asked.

Alonzo was just about to explode, but instead, took a few deep breadths. He said "Julia, our relationship is not working for me anymore. I don't love you."

"What!!", cried Julia. "What are you saying? What has happened? I thought that we were so happy!" Tears were forming in her eyes.

"Well, you were wrong. I don't trust you and I don't love you!! You were a Council spy sent on this mission to spy on us. Now, leave me alone!!" He stormed off .

Julia just stood there, not believing her ears. She started crying and ran quickly to her tent.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


At lunch, the whole group knew the situation with Alonzo and Julia. In such a small group, secrets were hard to keep. But, besides that, the whole group heard the argument.

Most of the group could not believe Alonzo's outburst. They could not believe that Alonzo would break up with Julia in that manner. In fact, most could not believe that he would break up with her at all. However, they had heard it with their own ears. Most of the group had grown to like Alonzo. He had proven to be trustworthy and was always volunteering.

On the other hand, most of the group also liked Julia. Upon hearing of her affiliation with the Council, most had voted to leave her behind. However, Julia had subsequently proven her loyalty, and as such, most, once again, trusted her. But, their initial mistrust now re-surfaced. If the man who loved her, doubt her loyalty, maybe they should too.

The harmony of the Eden Advance group had been destroyed.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Later that afternoon, Walman had an accident and he hurt his arm. Julia rushed to him and tried to help.

"Its OK, Julia", Walman said coldly. "I don't need your help."

"What are you saying Walman, your arm is broken", Julia responded. "Let me look at it."

"No, it's OK!", cried Walman. He walked towards his tent without a backward glance.

Julia just stood there, and could not believe this. The group had lost their faith in her. After her connection with the Council had been discovered, most of the group had voted to leave her behind. However, after knowing the complete facts, and after a little while, most of the group forgave her. What happened to their trust, she wondered. Now, just because Alonzo broke up with her and he said that he didn't trust her, no one else did either.

Devon saw the episode with Walman and she could not believe what she had just seen. Something had to be done.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


After dinner that night, Devon called a group meeting.

"People, we have a problem and I don't like it" Devon said. This got everyone's attention. "Look, everyone has obviously heard of the argument between Julia and Alonzo. Now, first of all, that is THEIR business and no-one else's." Devon paused for emphasis. "Secondly, even though I personally don't like the way that Alonzo broke up with Julia" she looked pointedly at Alonzo while saying this, "his concerns are his. And thirdly, Julia's loyalty is not in question."

"Devon, you are blind", shouted Alonzo. "Julia has manipulated us all. She is a traitor!!"

Devon said, "Alonzo, you have no basis for that. If you don't love Julia anymore, then that is your problem. However, her loyalty is not in question!"

"Bullshit!!" Alonzo replied. "She is evil and does not deserve to be part of this group."

Julia who was quietly listening to Alonzo's outburst could not believe her ears. What the hell happened, she wondered. She shouted at Alonzo. "Look, Alonzo, you don't love me anymore. Fine! But don't you dare question my loyalty. You of all people know the trauma I went through. Now, just back off!!"

Everyone then started talking at once. Devon quickly took control of the situation. She shouted, "People, please calm down." She pointedly make eye contact with everyone in the group as she continued, saying "everyone in this group has to decide for themselves whom they trust or don't trust. Alonzo's views are his own. But I can tell you here and now that I trust Julia implicitly." She paused a few moments and then said, "OK, people, lets break it up."

Everyone went her own way, muttering amongst themselves.

Julia went up to Devon and said, "thanks, Devon. Your trust means a lot to me."

"Julia, you have earned my trust and it will not be freely dismissed. Now, get some sleep. You look tired."

Julia nodded her thanks to Devon and went to her tent. Alonzo had already moved out and had set up another tent. She could not believe what was happened. How could Alonzo have fallen out of love with her so quickly. Julia knew that it took her a long time to truly love and trust Alonzo. Throughout her life, relationships never came easy. Julia was too much of a giver and not enough of a taker. But, with Alonzo, it had felt so right.

Julia cried herself to sleep.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


At about 3am that morning, Alonzo sneaked out of camp. He headed southward until reaching a cliff, and then headed east. After walking for another half an hour he came across a few tents. Without hesitation, he went straight into the larger tent. A few hours later, he returned to camp.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


At breakfast time, everyone was still feeling strange about the situation with Julia and Alonzo. However, most realised that Devon was right. Everyone had to make up their own decision. They all had grown to trust Julia and just because her lover did not love or trust her anymore, should not impact upon their own judgement.

Alonzo and Julia sat at different ends of the Biodome. Alonzo just stared at Julia. This made Julia feel very uncomfortable. She couldn't take it. She went up to Alonzo and said, "Look, Alonzo, can't be civil towards eachother."

"Get out of my face" shouted Alonzo. "I don't want anything to do with you. And I'll tell you now. If I am sick, I would rather die than let you treat me. Now, piss off."

Alonzo got up and left the Biodome. Julia left the Biodome soon after.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


That afternoon, Alonzo tried to convince the other members of the group, that Julia was a traitor. Alonzo was getting very frustrated, as most of the people were not convinced. He would show them, he promised.