- Text Size +


Connection (2/3)
by Sabrina Sestito

That night, at about 3am, Alonzo once again left camp and went into the tent located southeast of their camp. He returned a couple of hours later.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The next morning, Alonzo wanted to speak to Devon about Julia. However, in the distance, Alonzo saw Julia enter Walman's tent. Walman's arm still needed treatment.

This was his opportunity, thought Alonzo. Alonzo quickly crossed the camp and entered Julia's tent. He looked everywhere for something to incriminate her. She was a traitor and he was going to prove it.

Alonzo absently put his hand into his jacket's pocket and pulled out a transmission device. It was the same type that Julia had used to communicate with Reilly. He absently put it under Julia's bed.

Alonzo continued his search and then came across the transmission device. "Yes", he shouted. "I was right. Julia is a traitor."

Alonzo ran out of Julia's tent and went to find Devon. He found her looking at maps.

"Devon", he shouted. "Julia is a traitor and I can prove it." He held up the transmission device.

"Where did you find this, Alonzo", queried Devon.

"It was under Julia's bed. I told you. She is a traitor."

"Alonzo, did you really think that Julia would leave such an incriminating piece of device under her bed?"

"She could have dropped it, Devon", replied Alonzo. "Why don't you believe me?"

"Because, firstly I don't think that Julia is that stupid. And secondly, I trust Julia."

"Fine, Devon", shouted Alonzo. "Its your neck." Alonzo stormed out of the tent.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


That night, once again at about 3 am, Alonzo left camp and handed southeast. However, this time, he did not return.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The next morning, everyone was in the Biodome having breakfast. Devon, who was sitting with Danziger, felt sorry for Alonzo. She told Danziger about their fight.

Danziger said, "Look, Adair, Alonzo is just so angry. I am just as surprised as you are about it. He will calm down."

"Maybe you're right, John", Devon said. "I just don't like what is happening."

"It will be OK. You will see", reassured Danziger.

"I hope so" replied Devon. "By the way, have you seen Alonzo this morning?"

"Now, you mention it, no, I have not seen him. I will go and check his tent". Danziger left the Biodome.

Devon got up and asked several people whether they had seen Alonzo. Julia, who was sitting with the Morgans, also said that she had not seen him.

Danziger returned to the Biodome and said that Alonzo was not in his tent.

"OK, everyone, let's not panic", Devon said. "Alonzo obviously just needs some time to himself. Lets get on with our chores." Devon saw the concern in Julia's eyes.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


That evening, Alonzo still had not returned. Devon was beginning to worry. She said to Danziger and Julia, "Look, Alonzo could not have gone far. All the vehicles are here. First thing tomorrow morning, we will go and look for him."

"We should go now", Julia said. "He could be injured."

"Julia, it is too late for us to do anything tonight" Devon replied. "We will look for him the first thing in the morning. Now, get some sleep."

As Julia walked to her tent, Devon turned to Danziger and said, "John, I'm worried. Do you think that Julia could be right? Could Alonzo be injured?"

"Talk your own advice, Adair. We can't do anything until its morning. Get some sleep."

"Thanks, John", replied Devon, as she headed towards her own tent.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


At the crack of dawn the next morning, the Eden Group formed several search parties, consisting of three to four people. Devon and Danziger decided to go with Julia, who they could see, had not slept at all that night. They took a southerly direction.

After about 40 minutes, they encountered a cliff. They weren't sure whether to go east or west. Julia said that she wanted to try east.

Devon said, "OK, Julia, I'll go with you, while Danziger tries West."

"Devon, if you don't mind, I would rather go by myself. I need the time to think."

Devon looked worriedly at Danziger. "OK Julia", Devon said as she turned back to Julia. "But, please keep your gear on and let us know immediately if you find Alonzo."

"OK", Julia said, as she headed east.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


After about 30 minutes, Julia could see two tents in the distance. She contacted Devon and told her what she had found.

Devon said to her, "Wait until we get there. Don't do anything stupid."

"Devon, I can't wait till you get it. I am going in now". Julia closed her gear before Devon could object.

Julia slowly crept up to the smaller tent and looked inside. There were two cots in the tent and nothing else. She then went to the larger tent. She carefully peered inside. There were two people standing with their backs to her. They were standing above a table where a third person was lying restrained.

As one of the standing people moved, she got a clearer view of the person on the table. It was Alonzo!! She wanted to bolt into the tent to help him, but she restrained herself. She slowly and reluctantly moved back, straight into another person who was standing behind her. She cried out and tried to get away, but the person who grabbed her was too strong.

The person who grabbed her called out to those inside and said, "Look what I found!"

The two people inside the tent came out. She did not recognise either of them.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Devon and Danziger were going at fast as they could go towards where Julia had found Alonzo. They knew that Julia would not wait for them.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"Dr Heller, its so good to see you again", one of the men said sarcastically. "I am so happy that you could join us."

"What have you done to Alonzo", Julia cried.

"My dear, I have not done anything to him, as yet. But, don't you worry your pretty little head about it." The man then said to the woman holding Julia, "bring her inside."

Julia was mercilessly dragged into the large tent.

As she entered the tent, Julia got a better look at Alonzo. He was unconscious and looked very drawn. "What have you done to him", Julia shouted.

"Now, Dr. Heller behave yourself" the man said to her. "I am Dr. Walker and I send you regards from Reilly."

Julia just stood there, not moving.

"Reilly sent me to find you. He told me your whole story and showed me the recordings of your VR sessions with him."

"What", Julia screamed, "he recorded those sessions?"

"Of course. Reilly is no fool."

Julia did not know what to say. She decided to change the track of the conversation. "What have you done to Alonzo?"

"Dr Heller, we would never do anything to harm our Terrian dream walker, now would we?", Dr Walker replied.

Julia simply looked at him.

"Yes, Dr Heller, we know that Mr Solace here is able to communicate with the Terrians. It is a fact that you somehow thought was not important for Reilly to know. I wonder why this is so?"

Julia remained silence.

"We know why", Walker shouted. "It is because you and he are lovers!!"

"You are crazy! How could I ever love a sleepjumper !"

"Don't you dare deny it!", shouted Walker. "You are a liar and a traitor. You don't deserve to live."

Julia said, " but I .."

"Be quiet Dr Heller!! This information came from Mr Solace, himself." He looked at Alonzo.

Julia did not believe him. She said "that's crap, Walker. Alonzo would never tell you anything!!"

"That's where you are wrong!" Walker went on to explain. "As my scouts were trying to find your group, they came across Mr Solace here, a few days ago. They brought him to me. As expected, he would not divulged your location and so I injected him with a truth serum." Walker saw the look of concern on Julia's face. He continued, pacing around her as he spoke. "Initially, all I wanted to know was what your location was. Reilly still wants the Adair boy. Mr Solace told me how you lied to Reilly about his pineal gland. Reilly has not forgotten this, by the way. Anyway, as we were talking about this, Mr Solace told me how the Terrians used his image to convince you to not operate on the boy. Upon querying this, Mr Solace told me about his own connection with the Terrians. As you can imagine, I was completely in shock. I informed Reilly straight away." Walker just stood in front of Julia and stared at her. Julia defiantly looked at him.

Walker continued saying, "Well, when I queried Mr Solace about why he thought that you never mentioned that fact to Reilly, he said that it most probably due to the fact that you and he were becoming very close. I asked Mr Solace what has happened since, and he told me that you and he had become lovers. So, Dr Heller", shouted Walker in Julia face, "don't you dare deny it!"

Julia did not know what to say. She wanted to deny it, but she knew that Walker would not believe her. "OK, Walker. You are right. But, you now have me. Let him go. He is of no use to you."

"You are wrong once again, Dr Heller. I don't want you. You are a traitor." Walker paused. He then continued, saying "Mr Solace, on the other hand, is able to communicate with the Terrians. They have not altered his DNA. We need to know how this is possible. Reilly stills wants to control his planet."

"No, Walker", Julia shouted, "Alonzo is no use ..."

"Shut up, Dr Heller", Walker interrupted.

At that moment, Alonzo stirred. His eyes fluttered opened.

Julia struggled free of the woman holding her, and ran to him, "Alonzo are you alright?" The woman quickly grabbed Julia again and held her tight.

"Julia, where are we?", Alonzo cried as he struggled to loosen his restraints.

Walker came over to the table and said, "Mr Solace. Did you have a good rest?"

"Who are you?" shouted Alonzo as he struggled to loosen his restraints.

"He works for Reilly", Julia explained.

"Let me out of here!" cried Alonzo. The man on the other side of the table held Alonzo down.

"I don't think so", Walker said sarcastically to Alonzo. "However, it does seem that the BRW18 has worn off."

"Walker, are you mad?", Julia shouted. "That drug has been banned from the Space Stations for many years. It is very risky as a mind control drug as it can cause irreparable damage to the liver."

Walker said, "I am not stupid, Dr Heller. I examined Mr Solace very carefully before we injected him. It was my judgement that he was not at risk. And besides, if his liver was damaged, he would still be alive and I could still use him to determine how he communicates with the Terrians."

"Walker, you are crazy. I will never help you", shouted Alonzo.

"You really don't have a choice Mr Solace. Now, shut up!" Walker then turned to Julia and said "Furthermore, the mind control was only a small part of his task. He was convinced by us that you were a traitor and that you could not be trusted. Everynight, for three nights, he returned to this camp and reported his progress. On the third night, we felt that it was time to move on. His connection to the Terrians is more important."

Once Alonzo realised what he had done he tried desperately to get up. The man on the other side of the table held him down. Alonzo cried out to Julia, "I'm sorry Julia. Please forgive me. I love you."

Walker nodded to the man who was holding Alonzo down. The man took a sedaderm out of a bag lying on the floor and injected Alonzo. Alonzo lost consciousness.

Julia just stared at Walker. She struggled, but was unable to release the woman's grip. Walker stared at Julia and said "Don't worry, Dr Heller. I have not forgotten about you. You are a traitor and you will be punished appropriately. Take Dr Heller to the other tent", Walker said to the woman holding Julia, "and you", looking to the man looking after Alonzo, "take Mr Solace to the vehicle. I am sure that Adair and her group can not be too far behind."

The man guarding Alonzo, undid Alonzo's restraints, bound Alonzo's hands, put Alonzo over his shoulder and took him outside.