- Text Size +


Connection (3/3)
by Sabrina Sestito

A few moments later, Devon and Danziger approached the two tents. From their vantage point, they could not see any movement. They crept towards the smaller tent. There, they saw Julia being bounded by a woman. After nodding to Devon, both Devon and Danziger went into the tent. They knocked out the woman and freed Julia from her bounds.

"Hurry, we have to help Alonzo", shouted Julia as soon as her mouth bound was taken off. She ran towards the other tent.

Unfortunately, Walker had seen Devon and Danziger enter the smaller tent. He had already jumped into the vehicle and was already driving away with an unconscious Alonzo and the other man.

"Oh no", cried Julia as she saw the vehicle drive away. She collapsed onto the floor.

"Julia, what happened? Who were those people?" Devon asked, as she dropped to the floor besides Julia.

"They work for Reilly!!", Julia cried. Julia saw the anger in Devon's eyes. "They took Alonzo so that they can learn how Alonzo communicates with the Terrians. We have got to find him."

"But Julia, how do they know about Alonzo's connection with the Terrians?" queried Danziger.

Julia told them the whole story as Walker as told her. She told them about the truth serum and the mind control drug known as BRW18.

"Well, that does explain Alonzo's behaviour", Devon said. "Now, it is time to go back to camp. We need to work out a plan of attack."

"No", cried Julia. "We need to go after Alonzo now. Who knows where Walker will take him."

"Julia, we need to get some supplies", Danziger said. "Don't worry, we will find him."

Julia looked up at him and nodded. Both women got up and went back to the Biodome.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Meanwhile, Walker was watching the three from a nearby hill. When he saw them leave, he drove back to his camp. They would never think of looking for them here, he thought to himself. As Walker was driving back, he did not notice that Alonzo had awaken. Alonzo grabbed the wheel of the vehicle, causing the vehicle to smash into a tree. All three were thrown from the vehicle.

As Alonzo came too, he felt very queasy. He had a concussion, he thought. He could not protect himself after being thrown from the vehicle due to his bound hands. He tried to get up, but could not. He looked around and saw a man on the ground. It was the man helping Walker. The man's neck was at an awkward angle. Alonzo was sure that it was broken. Where was Walker, Alonzo wondered as he continued looking around. Alonzo once again tried to get up but the whole planet was spinning. He collapsed onto the ground.

Walker then appeared. He was uninjured. Walker looked at him and was very displeased. In anger, he kicked Alonzo in the stomach. "Don't do that again, Mr. Solace or you will regret it." Walker then dragged Alonzo back to the campsite.

However, Alonzo did not regret his actions. One man was dead and the vehicle was destroyed beyond repair. They were stuck there.

That night, Alonzo was drugged, tied and gagged in order to prevent him from escaping. Walker knew that giving Alonzo more drugs was dangerous, but he also knew that he needed some sleep.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Upon returning to camp, Devon called a group meeting. She told them about Alonzo, Reilly's people, the truth serum and the mind control drug. She said that at the crack of dawn search parties would once again search for Alonzo. Most people went up to Julia and offered their help. Some even apologised for doubting her.

The next morning search parties were once again organised. The whole search pattern was monitored by Yale who remained at the Biodome with the children. After an unsuccessful search, the group returned to the Biodome, dejected and disappointed. Julia, in particular, as expected, was the most disheartened. She did not eat her dinner that night and went straight to bed. Everyone knew that she would not sleep a wink.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


That same day, Alonzo was once again strapped to the table in the big tent. Walker entered the tent at about mid-morning. He went up to the table and said, "well, Mr Solace, I think that we need to start our experiments. I would have preferred to do them at my laboratory, but you have prevented this. So, we will just have to make do."

Alonzo did not say one word.

Walker then prepared himself for an operation. Walker wanted to check Alonzo's pineal gland in order to see if it was abnormal in any way. After giving Alonzo more drugs, Walker performed the operation. He discovered that the pineal gland was normal. Walker was disappointed by this. Reilly told him, that he was certain that the power of communication with the Terrians started at the pineal gland.

After the operation, Walker did notice that it took a long time for Alonzo to come around. The drugs must be taking their toil, he reasoned. He needed to keep Alonzo alive until he found out, how and why the sleep jumper was able to communicate with the Terrians.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The next day, Uly Adair awoke with a start. He ran to find his mother. "Mum, mum" he cried.

Devon heard her son calling and ran to him. "What's wrong, honey? Did you have a bad dream."

"No, mum. Its Alonzo. The Terrians just told me that Alonzo is in great danger."

The others in the group heard Uly's comment. In particular, Julia was devastated.

Devon said to her son, "did the Terrians tell you where Alonzo was?"

"No", exclaimed Uly. "They simply told me that he was in danger."

"Are you sure", queried Julia.

"Yes, I'm sure", replied Uly. "I'm sorry, Julia."

"Its OK, Uly. Thanks for trying", Julia said as she walked towards her tent.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Later that day, Walker ran several other tests on Alonzo. All of them showed nothing usual. He was getting angrier by the minute. Besides that, Alonzo was getting weaker. The constant tests and drugs were affecting him. Walker needed to be careful. He did not want to loose Alonzo just yet.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


At about lunchtime that same day, Julia decided that she needed to get away. She needed time to think. The group had no idea where Alonzo was or where to look for him. Julia told Devon that she was taking the ATV. Even though Devon did not like this, she did not stop Julia from leaving.

After leaving the camp, for some reason, she headed South. She then decided that she should go back to Walker's camp. Maybe, there was a clue there, she reasoned. As she got closer to the camp, she had a sudden insight which told her to leave the ATV and walk the rest of the way. She did so.

As she walked towards the tents, she saw movement. She quickly dived behind a large rock. I must inform the others, Julia thought. Damn. She forgot her gear! Oh well, she would have to deal with this herself.

As she got closer, she saw Walker leave the large tent with Alonzo and enter the small tent. Julia's heart went out to Alonzo. Alonzo looked so drawn and sickly. Alonzo could not even walk by himself as Walker was half carrying and half pushing Alonzo into the small tent. Julia crept up to the small tent and peered inside. Walker put Alonzo onto one of the cots. He then tied Alonzo to the cot and injected him with more drugs. Walker then left Alonzo and went back to the larger tent.

Julia quickly entered the small tent. Alonzo was unconscious. He had a fever and his heart was racing. Hold on, she thought. She quickly untied him. She tried to pick up him up, but he was a dead weight. She put Alonzo over her shoulder and tried to walk. She stumbled several times, but she managed to get outside. Her legs were going to give out any second. She needed to get Alonzo as far away as possible. All she needed to do, was to get Alonzo behind some cover. She could then plan her next move. Julia stumbled a little further away. She dragged Alonzo behind some rocks. She quickly retraced her steps so that no path could be seen. She hid behind the rock as well.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


A few minutes later, Walker exited the big tent. He said, "OK, Mr Solace. That's enough rest for now. Time to go back to work." As he entered the small tent, he saw no sign of Alonzo. He exited the tent and looked around. There was no way that Alonzo could have gotten far. "That is enough games for now, Mr Solace. Its time for work." Walker began searching around the campsite.

As Walker got closer to where Alonzo and Julia were hiding, Alonzo suddenly started moaning. Julia put her hand over his mouth to try to keep him quiet. Walker was a whisker away. "OK, Mr Solace, you can stay where you are! You will soon be freezing," cried Walker.

Walker then went back into the big tent.

Walker was right, thought Julia. Alonzo was not dressed warmly and it was getting very cold. She needed to get him to the ATV. But how, she wondered. She dragged Alonzo a little way and when she was out of sight of the camp she tried to pick him up. She was able to carry him a little way, but it was not far enough. She stumbled and they both fell to the ground.

Julia then tried to wake up Alonzo. Alonzo was still moaning.

"Alonzo, Alonzo, wake up. I need you to help me", she cried.

Alonzo did not respond. He continued to moan.

Julia put both on her hands onto Alonzo's face and said "Alonzo, please, help me."

Alonzo became slowly aware of another presence. It was Walker, he thought. He lashed out at him and screamed, "get away from me!" Julia was knocked backwards.

"Alonzo, no, its Julia", Julia said as she tried to calm him down.

Recognition was beginning to come to Alonzo, but the damage had been done. Walker heard Alonzo's scream and was coming towards them.

"Come on Alonzo", Julia screamed, "get up. We need to get to the ATV." Alonzo managed to get to his feet and ran a little way. He collapsed just short of the ATV. "Come on Alonzo, just a little further." However, Julia saw that Alonzo was completely out. She dragged him the last of couple feet to the ATV and put him in the back. She then climbed in, held onto Alonzo with one hand, and drove away.

Walker screamed after her, "We'll get you, Heller, if its the last thing we do. You will die running!"



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Julia quickly drove back to camp. She needed to get Alonzo into the Medtent. She could feel his heart pounding under her hand.

As Julia entered the camp, the others saw that she had Alonzo with her. They helped Julia carry Alonzo into the Medtent. Julia put on her Diaglove and went to examine Alonzo. Her face fell.

Devon, who was still in the Medtent said, "Julia, what's wrong. Will he be OK."

Julia looked at her and said "His injuries are extensive, but it is the various drugs in his system which need to be filtered out. Because of this, I can not use any drug to speed up his recovery. This will take time. All I can do is give him the nutrients he needs." Julia looked at Alonzo and then looked back at Devon. "But, he will be OK."

"Good", said Devon. She left the Medtent.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


After three days, Alonzo had still not regain consciousness. Julia was beginning to worry. She tried to wake him on the fourth day.

Alonzo started moaning, as Julia tried to wake him. She said to him "come on, Alonzo. Wake up. Its time to wake up."

Alonzo thought that he was still in Walker's hands. He pushed Julia away.

"Hey, Alonzo, why did you do that," cried Julia.

Alonzo finally became aware of his surrounding. "Julia", he cried. "Is that you?"

"Well, how many doctors do you have, Mr Solace?", Julia said to him as she came into his field of view. She smiled at him and bent down to give him a kiss. "Are you feeling better, fly boy."

Alonzo could not help but smile at that. "Yes, I am feeling better. I still have a headache." Alonzo became serious and asked, "what happened to Walker?"

"He got away. When I rescued you I just wanted to get you to safety." Julia looked downtrodden. "He is still out there, Alonzo. And now, Reilly knows about you and will come after you as well."

"Hey, it is OK, Julia. We will be OK." Alonzo reached for Julia and gave her a kiss.

"How much do you remember", queried Julia as she got up.

"I don't remember a lot. Only small snippets." Alonzo paused a few moments and then said. "I do remember hurting you, Julia. I'm sorry."

"It was not your fault, Alonzo."

"I know", replied Alonzo, "but I still hurt you. Do you forgive me?"

"There is nothing to forgive", Julia said.

"Does that mean that you still love me", asked Alonzo.

Julia was surprised by his question. "I never stopped" was Julia's response.

-The End-



Chapter End Notes:
Dr Sabrina Sestito
Aeronautical and Maritime Research Laboratory
506 Lorimer St., Port Melbourne, Victoria 3207, AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 9626 7271, Fax (03) 9646 7084