ED THE TERRIAN
By
A.j.


Timeline: Time Unknown
Author's E-Mail: jetfixer@interaccess.com


Ed the Terrian
by A.j.

Devon Adair was having a dream.

How do *I* know Devon Adair was having a dream? Well, I *am* a Terrian and I *do* have unlimited access to the Dream Plane (where all dreams take place) so that gives me a pretty much open ended pass to *everyone's* dreams.

Well, if I'm gonna tell you something personal about someone else, I guess I better tell you a bit about myself, (only fair and all.) Anyway, my name's Ed. Yup, that's it, nothing fancy, just Ed.

I picked it outta that tall guy's head one night. It seemed kinda cool to me, so I kept it. I haven't told anyone else about it, so you guys are the first ones to know. Don't tell my tribe, otherwise they'll send me out into the deep freeze this hibernating.

Humans think that winter is a time when Terrians recharge, but I'll let you cool people in on a little secret. The reason we sleep all winter is because Terrian flu can be *nasty.* I'm not talking death or anything, just a *really* big annoyance. Hell, the only reason we didn't figure out the hibernation thing earlier on in history was the fact that we were all wrapped up in 'curing' the darn thing. *Finally* some really cool person decided that they would just avoid the whole thing entirely and sleep through it. Everyone else just decided that it was a good idea, and it caught on real big. Now *every* Terrian does it. Well, 'cept those weirdo's near Garden territory. But they're just weird. I think their Mother pool is clogged and they haven't been getting an variation in genes for a while. (Can we say inbreeding?)

Anyway, more about myself. (My fave topic, by the way.) I come from tribe brrrln (easily translated to Berwyn in human.) It's right around what the humans call New Pacifica. I am 'one with the Mother' as the elders in tribe like to call it. Basically, it boils down to the fact that I can talk to the ball of orange rock that makes up the center of the planet.

'She' (and I use that term loosely) gives life to everything in, on, or around the planet. So, she better like you, otherwise you're Koba chow. She's all upset because she can't control the humans, but *I* know the truth. She's pleased as salt-fruit that there's something on her that she *can't* control. I think she was heartily sick of all of us. Not that she doesn't love us, but I think she was pretty board with the lot. Heck, these new people have gotten her more excited in the past two Moon Crosses than she's been in eons.

Mother (secretly) loves a challenge, and this new bunch has proven *quite* the challenge. They aren't submissive like those others nor are they three bricks short of a wall like that Gaal fellow. Mother's thrown more curve-balls at them than there are pebbles on the beaches of my home area. But, instead of giving up and going with the flow, they become more determined than ever.

I guess that's why I started watching them and their dreams.

I didn't start out like the others did, with the easy ones. Instead, I started out with the toughies. Got the scars to prove it too. My first trip into one of their planes, I picked the hardest one I could find, that mechanic chick, Lenina Magus. She is one hard nut.

Cutting to the chase, it didn't go very well. She woke up screaming and I couldn't dream for a week without some kind of pain reliever. Man, a right hook can smart.

I took more precautions on my second trip. I tapped into her trust center and made myself in the image of the one she liked and trusted the most in her life. Oddly, I turned up as (what I later found out) as a dog. But, a couple of trips and I was hooked.

I did everything I could to learn about the human culture. I started out by going into people's minds and accessing all sorts of cool things, like customs and language. (That's why I can type 60wpm.) After awhile, I figured out how to access Yale's computer programs from the 'Plane. You have no idea how cool the inner workings of Cyber Space are until you've shot through them at the speed of light. What a rush!

Hold it. We've gotten *way* off subject here. I was going to tell you about Dev's dream. Harumph, let's see.... Preparing image receptors.... sending out signal... dream host contacted... waiting for reply.... talking to host dream projection system.... access granted, here we go!

Hold onto your hats, dreamers, we're in!

-The End-


That's it. Does anyone want to hear more of Ed's adventures in the Dream Plane? Is anyone out there? Am I alone?

If not:
Okay, here's the deal. I need ideas on how to continue this. You read this, you send me thoughts on what should be going on in Dev's dream. Should she be dreaming of curing 248 kids? Is she sitting on her couch in the stations, watching a breck-ball game and scarfing shrimp chips? Or should she be in a horizontal tango with one of our beloved castaways? Hrrmmmmm.... The possibilities...

A.j.

"Have you heard about my new obsession? I'm riding high upon a deep depression..."

This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.