LOOK AWAY
By
A.j.


Timeline: Years after
Author's E-Mail: jetfixer@interaccess.com


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
Hallo! Jayel's post brought up some stuff that I just needed to get down. Sorry if it sucks, but that's life. The good with the bad and all that. Anywho, this is waaaaaaay in the future of Jayel's little 'verse, (which I do not want to visit, no matter how well written it is!) and is just a little scene. And as our Doc Heller once said, if you need a fiction fix, write it yourself!

*TAKE NOTE, LAWYER SCUMM!!!*
The characters of Devon Adair and John Daniziger belong to Amblin Entertainment and Universal. No matter how much I wish they were mine, I know that if wishes were horses, beggars would ride. The character of Tara Donohoe (sp?) belongs solely to Jayel! (I asked permission on this one, buds, and she gave me total okay!) The following is fiction and is what Dev *might* feel if D&T got together. (Though I still am hoping that D&T stands for Dev and Tara, (*kin-ky!*)) Also, the lyrics to "I will Always Love you" belong to someone other than me, but I would be rich if I *did* own 'em. The lyrics to "Look Away" belong to Chicago. (The band, ni-diots.)


Look Away
by A.j.

"And IeeeeeeeeeeeeI will always looooooove you, IIIIIIIIII will alwaaays love you!"

'The VR sets are too loud, I can't hear myself think,' <do I want to hear myself think?> Of course, I need to concentrate. <On what? How well you're dancing with an *imaginary* partner while not ten feet way dances a real live lover? This is too much I can't be here>...'I *have* to be here. John's my friend, I love him.' <but that's the problem, ain't it Dev?>'

Devon Adair was dancing. Actually, she was pressed up against a projection of her mind at the wedding reception of Tara and John. Around her were swirling the new colonists, having arrived less than a week ago, dancing and celebrating for the man they barely knew. The Eden Advance crew was mingling in as well, avoiding Devon as much as possible. Not that they didn't want to be in her company, it was just that, no matter the situation, they didn't want to see her unhappy. Unfortunately, that was exactly what she was. No one, not even Uly or Yale, could erase the pain she held inside her as she watched the man she loved and a woman who hated her dance effortlessly around the floor, mindlessly lost in each other's eyes. It just hurt.

'Come on Devon,' her rational mind intoned. 'You are their friend and they invited you to their wedding, at least try and be happy for them.' <WHY!?!?> screamed the other, less rational half. <I love him and he loves *her*! Why can't I feel pain? I couldn't while we were fighting to get here and I can't now? Well, I'm sorry, buster, my turn!> But, as usual, the rational won out. 'No. We will stay and smile when smiled at and *afterwords*, you can have control.' And that was that.

So, the night passed, each dance getting harder and harder, until Amara, a new colonist who also had an incredible voice, started to sing...

"When you called me up this morning,
told me bout the new love you'd found,
I said, "I'm happy for you,
I'm really happy for you."

Found someone else,
I guess I won't be coming round,
I guess it's over baby,
It's really over baby..."

It hit Devon. He was gone. She couldn't have him. <I guess it's true. The *only* thing Adairs ever want, is the only thing they'll never get.> The song brought her back.

"And from what you've said,
I guess you've gotten over me.
It'll never be,
The way it used to be..."

She knew this song. She knew the lyrics, her father had listened to it everynight he was alive. She knew that what the song said and it was exactly what she needed to say to John. Words flowed over Devon and she searched out a pair of blue eyes, and held them, willing them to understand.

"So if it's gotta be this way...
don't worry, baby, I can take the news okay,
But if you see me walking by,
And the tears are in my eyes,
Look away, baby, look away."

He met her eyes, and the blue orbs flashed in question. Devon reached up and touched her ear and mouthed, 'listen.'

"If we meet on the street someday,
And I don't know what to say,
Look away, baby, look away.
Don't look at me,
I don't want you to see me this way.

When we both agreed, as lovers,
We were better off as friends,
that's how it had to be,
yeah, that's how it had to be.

I tell you, "I'm fine."
But sometimes I just pretend,
Wish you were holdin' me,
Wish you were still holdin' me.

I just never thought,
That I would be replaced so soon,
I wasn't prepared,
to hear those words from you.
I know I wanted to be free,
Yeah, baby, this is how we wanted it to be,

But if you see me walking by,
And the tears are in my eyes,
Look away, baby, look away.
And if you see me on the street someday,
And I don't know what to say,
Look away, baby, just look away
Don't look at me,
I don't want you to see me this way."

His eyes flared and he looked deep into her soul, trying to understand, to tell her that he *did* care. A tear rolled down her cheek, and Devon Adair did the hardest thing she had ever done. She looked away.

-The End-


Okay, did that totally bite, or was it semi-okay? *ALERT* ego in need of stroking or deflating, dial jetfixer@interaccess.com

A.j.
Earth2 junkie and X-files fiction fan.

Original Baines Bunny! and Yale's Yenta. (Now with a blossoming *7* members!!)

Semper Salvium
Head Towel Girl, Water Polo Coach, and co-trustee of Grendler U. Where testing for blood means peein' in a cup.

"Bless me father, for I have sinned. It's been too damn long since me last confession. I'm guilty of encouraging me granddaughter to be married by a Protestant, woman, minister. They're goin' home to make a baby, now give me three Our Father's and three Hail Mary's so I can die in peace."

--A Weirder Wedding You'll Never See by Macspooky

This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.