MIDNIGHT SNACK
By
A.j.


Timeline: Years after
Author's E-Mail: jetfixer@interaccess.com


Midnight Snack
by A.J.

Devon scratched her head sleepily as she made her way down the darkened corridor towards her kitchen. The going wasn't easy in the daylight, and was even harder at 1 a.m.

'I can't believe I'm one of those women who have cravings.' Devon thought to herself. 'Yet here I am, waddling down my hall seven months pregnant, and going ballistic for an salt-fruit bagel.'

Stepping carefully, as to avoid the corner of an upturned rug, Devon forged into the kitchen as silently as she could. She had many late night cravings recently, but she didn't want to disturb anyone in the house. John had been very supportive, but she didn't feel right about waking him up just to get her something she could easily get for herself.

'Okay, maybe not *so* easily, but still.' Devon thought to herself as she sidestepped the carved table that was the dominant feature in the room. It was a dark mohogany color, and already dinged up from many meals eaten together as a family. 'A family.' Devon couldn't help but smile. She had come to this planet to save her son, and *maybe* find happiness for him, but she had ended up finding something even more precious. She had found John and True, and even a small part of herself that she had not known she had lost.

Devon carefully moved towards the bread box sitting on the far corner of the counter. She reached inside and pulled out a single fat bagel, and set it on the pale shelf. She reached out for a knife that sat in the wooden knife-holder True had carved after one too many encounters with them loose in a drawer. Julia had personally thanked Devon for allowing True to carve it because it saved her so much epidermal-grow. A smile flickered over Devons lips again, and she turned slowly to face the room.

Where ever she looked, there was something that either she, John, Uly or True had made. On the table sat the napkin holder that Uly had made. The chairs seated around the table were a little project Devon herself had aranged, assembled, and varnished. And in a place of honor was a little plaque that John had painted. The words read "A home is not where you live, but where you leave your heart."

'Heck, we even built the darn house together.' Devon giggled softly at the memory of stubbed fingers, splinters, and other various injuries that had gone into the house. Her face softened as she also remembered the love. It had taken them all three months to complete the two-story building she was now standing in. She had made pains to incorparate everything she thought they needed into it. There were indeed two bathrooms upstairs, as well as four bedrooms, and a veranda that wrapped around the entire house. Downstairs there was all the normal stuff, living room, dining room, bathroom, the kitchen, and even John and her's bedroom.

'Good thing for that, otherwise I'd be rolling myself down those stairs every night,' She thought to herself. Suddenly her stomach grumbled unhappily at being ignored.

"Okay, okay, I give sweets. Here ya go." Devon mumbled to herself as she brought the round piece of bread to her lips.

"Mom?" came a sleepy question from the door.

"Hey sweetie, what're you doin' up so late?"

"I couldn' sleep." True padded herself into the room, and threw her lanky body into the nearest chair. "Besides, I heard you come down the hall, and thought you might need some company."

"Sorry to wake you love, but I had a sudden craving for one of my salt-fruit bagels." Devon waved the half-eaten bread she was holding. "You want one?"

True made a face. "Ugh, no way, but do you have any of those biscuts we had for dinner left?"

"Sure love." Devon shifeted over to the refiriderator that sat next to the door that lead out into the backyard. "They're here somewhere, unless your dad snuck down here and ate them...Aha! Success!"

Devon pulled out a covered basket from the bottom shelf. While she was at it, she pulled out some redfruit, and a large container of Bess's best jam that had been given to them the day before.

"We're in luck, sweets. Do you want something to drink while I'm in here?"

"Nah. Hey mom, can I ask you something?"

Devon waddled over and dropped the food-stuffs on the table, and carefully levered herself down into a chair.

"Sure True, what's on your mind?"

True shifted uncomfortably, and for the first time in awhile, it seemed to Devon, that True looked very unhappy. True's normally open and straight-forward face was clouded, and ,strangely, scared.

"Mom, are you gonna be okay...I mean after?" These words came out in a rush.

"After? After what?"

"Well, um, after you have the baby."

"Yes, of course I will, what made you ask that True?"

True fidgeted again, and looked straight up into Devon's eyes. "Yale showed us a vid on how babies are born. An' the vid said that sometimes, if there are complications, the mom would..." True's voice faltered, and she looked down at the mohogany wood of the table top.

"Would what?" Dev prompted her daughter.

"Would die." The last bit came out so softly that Devon had a hard time believing she'd heard it, until True raised her eyes, and Devon saw actual fear in those bright blue orbs. Devon understood completely. After losing her biological mother, True was scared that the same thing would happen to Devon.

"Oh True," Devon levered herself out of her chair and made her way over to True. "I'm not gonna die. Sure I'll be real uncomfortable for a few days, but I am *not* going to die." True nestled her head into Dev's shoulder, and relaxed.

Devon smiled softly into True's hair, and kissed her lightly. They stayed that way for awhile, Devon kneeling by True with True's nead resting against her shoulder. Finally, out of discomfort, Devon slowly pushed herself up.

"Come on True. You can help me back to bed. I really need some rest, and so do you. Remember, we have to go to Walman's wedding tomorrow. Besides, who'd want to see the bride's maid and 'Mother of the Groom' looking like something that go dragged out of the gutter." Devon's words brought a smile to True's lips, and she slowly rose.

"Okay mom. But remember, don't over-do it. And Mom?"

Devon turned to face her at the slightly peading tone of her voice. "Yeah?"

True smiled sheepishly, "Can you keep this conversation between us? I don't want Uly to know I got so freaked out by a vid."

Dev grinned and put her arm around her daughter. "Will do, as long as we tell your father he was the one who left all the food out."

They giggled conspiritively as they slowly made thier way out the kitchen door, leaving the remains of thier snack spread across the dark wood of the table.

-The End-


Hi! I 'ope ye liked it. I just decided ta write somethin' and my fingers flew. If ye got comments for me, send 'em ta jetfixer@interaccess.com Tis me first work, so please, please, pleasepleaseplease, give me ideas on 'ow ta improve me style, descriptions, etc. Smiles---A.J.

This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.