SWEETEST EMBRACE - EPILOGUE
By
A.j.


Timeline: Years after
Author's E-Mail: jetfixer@interaccess.com


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
Okay, okay, 'The Sweetest Embrace' would be the last one, *but* I think it ended a little too soon. So, *technically* this *isn't* a new story for the Jayel 'verse stories I've written, It's a continuation! (*YES!* I knew I could think of something...)

Disclaimer: Triple gosh darn it! I knew I forgot something the first time around. Jayel, I'm sorry I forgot, so I'm making it up here. I don't own TARA DONHOE! She's Jayel's and Jayel gave me a total green light to write my stories.

Warning: Okay, major sap fest in here. I'm sorry, but I'm on a relationshipper low/biorythem high. I can't help it. (I just watched 'Resolutions' <ST:V> the last ep of Forever Knight is on this Saturday, Scully and Mulder *still* aren't together, I just watched Chris and Rita get together, then Chris get's shot, *and* I just killed off my fave character.) And yet I've just had one of the most cheerful days of my life. ::sigh::


The Sweetest Embrace: Epilogue
by A.j.

John was holding his daughter. She was a real light weight and he could barely feel her small warmth pressing into his chest.

'Well, she *is* only three months old. It's not like she's supposed to weigh 125 pounds overnight.' His subconscious chided. A small smile crossed his whethered face at the thought and he looked down into the blanket that surrounded his girl.

The light beige blanket, a jumper and a diaper were the only things that protected the little infant from the wind howling around him. She was so small, so fragile. He was still awed at how strong she really was.

Three months ago, to the day, this little baby had been orphaned by her natural mother, Devon Adair, and left in his care. She was not his real daughter, but she was part of Devon, the only part he had left.

John drew his eyes up from the blanket encased child and to all to freshly filled grave.

He was standing in the clearing that overlooked the bio-dome. It was a clearing that he and Devon had come to, more times than he could count, in their first winter. The had come here to think, talk, and have a little fun. They had engaged in more snow battles than he would ever admit.

Three months ago, when Devon had died, there had been a very large fight with Uly on where his mother would be buried.

John's face pulled into a painful grin. Uly had been so adamant. The young man had yelled from here to the Venus that his mother should be buried in New Pacifica with a monstrosity of a gravestone, a monument to her life. The poor kid was hurting so much.

John, on the other hand, had know exactly what Devon had wanted. She had wanted to be buried with the same quiet dignity and grace that she had lived her life in. Sure, she had been bold and brassy when needed, but John had known that she would appreciate something small and sentimental more than something big and expensive.

So, she had been buried in the clearing with a small stone her only marker.

John looked down at the little plaque and smiled slightly. Only three things were carved on it.

Devon Adair 2061 - 2125 Beloved

Simple but elegant. It epitomized the woman that rested beneath it.

"Well, Devon. I'm here. I don't really know why. I had a dream last night that you wanted to see me, so I came directly here. Hell, I guess I wanted to see you again too."

John sighed and looked out across the valley. The leaves were changing from the light green of summer to the rainbow of reds and oranges that accompanied the fall. It was so beautiful.

"I wish you could see it, baby. There's so much going on. Did you know True's pregnant? Yeah. She's only eight months along, but Uly's got her locked in the hospital. He says it won't happen again. For once in her life, True's not putting up a fight. That boy misses you. We all miss you."

Just then the little bundle in his arms started to fuss, shaking her tiny fists and screwing up her mouth to shout her complaint into the deep blue above. John quickly adjusted the little one and set her up to his shoulder. She immediately quieted. After all, she could see over Daddy's shoulder now.

"I'm doing like you asked. I've been doing the best I can to raise this little one. She's a hellion, but what else should I expect from your genes? Did you know she's already trying to sit up? Stubborn as hell, this one is. Course, you are her mother. She's getting big, love. I wish you could see her. She has your eyes. I think she's gonna have your hair too. It all fell out, but the stuff that's coming in is a real pretty color of auburn, just like yours. You know I always used to fantasize about your hair. I've even had long sessions of comparison with myself. I even came up with a conclusion. Your hair showed your soul. Yeah, I know you'd laugh, but think about it. It was this real plain shade of brown usually, just like you liked to play everything in life all cool and calm. But when the sun hit your hair, it glowed fire. Kinda like you did when we used to argue."

A single tear started to fall down John's face. "God, Adair. I wish you were here." "But I am, John."
The sound of a voice brought John's head up with a snap. He turned his head wildly, but he didn't need to turn it far. There standing in front of him was one of the most beautiful sights of his life.

Standing in a halo of golden light was Devon. *His* Devon.

"Baby?" He whispered.
"Hello, John." An angelic smile graced her face. "Are you really here, or am I having a stress induced hallucination?" John cocked a curious eyebrow.

"Well, I am real... in a sense." She raised a mocking eyebrow.

"Why are you here? I thought you'd be off catching up with old dead friends."

Devon's smile grew. "I have unfinished business here, and with unfinished business, I can't move on."

"What's your unfinished business?" "John, when I died, you bound me. Deep in your mind, you drew words that would forever bind me to you. I cannot leave this place..."

"Until I take back those words, right?" "That's one option."
A glimmer of hope started to grow in John's chest. Maybe he could hold onto her. Maybe her daughter *could* meet her mother.

"I won't do it." He stated simply and determinedly. Devon's smile grew. Not what he expected. "I know you won't. I don't want you to. I just want you to know that I will always be here. I can't visit you though." Her brilliant blue eyes seemed to dim slightly.

"What? You're here now."
"I know. But this is taking a lot of effort. I just wanted to show up in person to let you know that I *will* be here if you need me. You may not be able to see me, but you'll know I'm here." Her image started to fade.

"Devon, wait!"
"I have to go now, John."
"Wait one minute. I just want you to meet someone. You never got the chance before." He raised his little bundle. "You left too soon before. Come here."

A smile of gentle wonder crossed Devon's ethereal features as she moved closer to him. He dropped the corner of the blanket so she could see. Two pairs of blue eyes locked.

"Oh, John. She's beautiful." John didn't know, but he could have sworn he saw a tear fall down her cheek.

"Her name is Devon."
Devon looked up into his eyes and just before she disappeared she whispered, "thank you.."

John smiled weakly and looked down into little Devon's eyes. "So, sweet thing. What did you think of your mother?"

John got his answer. Not that day, nor the next, but as little Devon grew, she looked and acted more and more like her mother. Because after that day, Devon got her mother's fire.

-The End-


Jayel's 'Verse Story timeline:

Look Away
Weakness
Release
The Sweetest Embrace (with Epilogue)
Sun

Okay, I know, it was sappy, but that's just the way I am. Deal with it. =P

A.j.
(That watery tart who passes out swords.)

Devon+Danziger(someday it *will* happen!)

"And children will follow..."
"High strung? Him? What gave you that idea?"

This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.