BLACK SHEEP IN THE FAMILY
By
Alex Queirolo


Timeline: Before "First Contact"
Author's E-Mail: CUVH94A@prodigy.com


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
This story can take place at pretty much anytime after Alonzo and Julia really got together. It starts out in the past because it seems that many of us are trying to fill in the gasps of our characters' pasts. Here is my attempt.

Shel: Um, you remember me talking to you about Julia having a brother.

Well, I took the low ground after Reunion and gave her a brother. Siblings are popping up every which way. I hope y'all like this. I'm working on my next one.

-Alex
CUVH94A@Prodigy.Com


THE BLACK SHEEP OF THE FAMILY
By Alex Queirolo

He rubbed his eyes, looked at the blinking LED light and then turned over in bed and pulled his pillow over his head. He heard the door to his bedroom open and he could hear the sound of feet approaching and stepping over discarded objects strewn acroos his floor. An authortive voice which he recognized through his slightly drugged haze said, "Get up, you're late for your meeting with Blalock."

"Screw Blalock." He muttered, burrowing further into his sheets.

"What was that?" The woman's tight-edged voice said dryly.

He rolled over and looked up at the well-dressed blonde-haired woman who was standing above him with her hands on her hips. "I said that Blalock can screw off."

The woman sighed, "Joshua, you've already managed to anger the Council enough. Why must you persist in this? I really had to pull strings to get Blalock to call you."

He scowled," Who says I want to work for the Council, mother? It's never been me. Why don't you do me a favor and tell 'em all where they can shove it."

"Joshua Kyle Heller!" Katherine Heller shouted angrily, "You are a member of the Council. It's in your blood and you will start acting that way. I will not have you disgrace either me or your sister any further. You will respect the Council, do you understand?

Josh laughed, "Oh yes, mother. I understand and you know what, between you and me and the walls, I've always respected it. Yeah... but you know what, that respect goes hand in hand with disgust and hatred. I'll respect it if that's what you want but I'll be damned if I'll be their whipping boy."

Katherine took a deep breath and stared at the boy. Why couldn't he be like his older sister, Julia? True, he wasn't genetically engineered like Julia was and the simple reason for that was that he had been accident. He was six years younger than Julia and he had given her and the Council hell every step of the way. "Joshua, I'm telling you this, not asking you. Get up. Get dressed. Go to Blalock. Don't make me force you."

He swallowed, "Fine." He threw the covers off and stepped out of the bed. He hated the whole damn Council thing but worse than that, he hated being reminded every single day that he was a mistake and that he should be lucky for life. He crossed over to the closet and grabbed a pair of pants. Sure, he'd go see that collosal prick Blalock but he'd be damned if he'd kiss up. He had no idea what his mother was up to and yet he didn't want to know. He glanced back at his mother and then muttered, "I'm gonna go take a shower."


Doctor Julia Heller paced anxiously around the room. She had no idea how long she had been waiting but it had been too long. Finally, the door opened and Doctor Vasquez exited. He put a reassuring hand on her shoulder that held a touch of friendship and he said, "Relax, Heller, the surgery went well."

She felt like laughing. Surgery. It was crazy and it made her sick. Yes, he had been a thorn in the Council's foot ever since he had been old enough to think but what they had done had been worse. He was her brother, her baby brother and very possibly, the one person in the world that she truely cared about.

Now, he was lying on his hospital bed, hooked up to a zillion machines and barely clinging to life. All because the Council thought he was a traitor. What made her even sicker was the fact that her mother had allowed them to hurt Josh.

He had gone to Blalock's office, a cocky, rebellious seventeen year old and he had been arrested and taken to interrogation all because the Council, Blalock specifically, figured that since he obviously wasn't with them, he had to be against them. Council Interrogations were brutal and his had been no different. They hadn't learned anything but when they had finished with them, he had been unconsious. Several of his ribs had been broken and he had suffered thankfully minimal brain damage but still, it had been enough.

Vasquez said, "He's awake, Heller. Go on." She nodded and then grasped his arm.

"If my mother comes, don't let her in, please." He nodded and smiled. He was a professional and yet every fiber in his body was dedicated to his patients. If he ever believed that one of them might be endangered, he'd put his ass on the line to protect them. Now was no different. The Council had had no proof and no reason for Interrogating Josh Heller but they had done it anyways as they often did which was the main reason that Council government had survived so long. Intimidtaion and fear were terrible but effective ways to run a government.

Julia walked into the room and saw him lying on the bed. He was clenching and unclenching his left hand. She could hear his breathing which was being amplified by the respirator. He looked up at her and she saw the black ring around his right eye. He was incredibly handsome, just as her father had been and yet he held a bit of rugged youth in his face. He was the picture-perfect fly-boy. Of course, the Council refused to let him be one. He was Council blood and they seemed intent to make sure he lived up to it. A pilot was not concidered dignified and the only reason they were allowed to be like they were, hot-shots, young, arrogant and free was because they were extrememly important for the Councils' ultimate agenda.

She touched her brothers' lightly stubled cheek and sat down beside him, "How are you feeling?"

He tried to smile and then just said, "Okay. You?"

She laughed. The irony of it all was too much. She too was sick of being told that her entire life belonged to the Council and yet she would never even concider striking away from them as her brother had so often tried to do. In seventeen years, Josh had tried everything he possibly could to get away from the Council. He had tried running, he had tried gambling and she knew that he had tried more than his fair share of illegal substances and yet the Council had refused to let him go. She thought that the reason for this was simple, the Council didn't want to admit failure, especially in such a noble Council line as the Hellers'. Noble, what a joke, Julia thought, so noble in fact that orginally they had decided not to trust nature to give them an intelligent child. A mistake had done that and yet no one seemed to respect Joshua's intelligence. He would never be a doctor or a professional but she thought that he might be a brilliant strategist. His mind worked in different ways and he saw things that no one else did.

"I'm okay. I'm worried about you."

He reached out for her hand, "Why did they do it, Julia?"

"I don't know. Josh, they thought you were part of the resistance." She replied. She glanced over at the medical read-outs and gave them a quick, involuntary look-over. She glanced at the clipboard and then back at him. She happened to miss his expression.

"Julia, I got to get out of here."

"Why?" She asked in exasperation. She saw that he was trembling now. She grasped his hand so as to offer comfort.

"I trust you." Josh said, "But I can't tell you why. You gotta help me get out of here or next time they might very well kill me."

"Kill you? Josh, no. I think they know now that you're not a traitor. I don't think you have to worry about that anymore." Julia replied. She saw tears in his blue eyes and she wiped them away. She was the big sister, it was her job to look after him. Her sister had tried to look after her but hadn't been able to. She's be damned if she wouldn't at least try to take care of Josh. Josh had never known his older sister but Julia thought he might have liked her. Maybe Sarah could have done a better job with Josh. Maybe Sarah could have protected him better.

Josh laughed, "You have no idea. Will you help me or not?"

She shook her head, "Josh, if you were to get caught, they'd really think you were a resistance fighter and then,yes, they would Interrogate you again and in this state, you might not survive."

"Julia, that's why I need your help. I don't't know that I can do it alone. Please, I'm begging you. There is a freighter docked at L-11. The pilots' name is Alonzo Solace. He's taking the freighter to the Quadrant and then he'll be back in six months, okay? He's doing that Eden Project thing. Now, if you can get me to the freighter, he'll help me out. We are old friends. But please, I can't do it without your help." She heard how his voice was cracking and it scared her. She'd seen him break down emotionally before but it had always been when he'd been high on something or other. He wasn't high now. He was scared. She didn't know why but she did know that she had to help him.

"Alright, I'll help you. I'll get you to the freighter and I'll provide cover. The rest is up to you." Juia responded. Her mind was already working.

"That's all I ask." Josh replied softly and then he dropped off again.


Alonzo Solace knocked back the last of his drink and then looked back over at the poker game. As usual, the cocky mechanic, John Danziger was cleaning up. He'd known Danziger for only a couple months and yet he liked the man. He was glad that he'd get to work with him. Danziger was like him in a lot of ways. They were both leaders and they both loved their jobs.

"Mr.Solace?" Alonzo turned and looked into the eyes of Devon Adair. She was a beautiful woman but she got on his nerves. Still, she was his employer. He was taking a pre-launch run to the Quadrant for her.

"What is it?" He asked, picking up the bottle and pouring himself another drink. A long time ago, his dream button had been turned off. His alcoholic consumption level alarm button had also turned off. He didn't get more than buzzed and right now, he was a long way from it.

"I hear you are going to the Quadrant?" Devon said.

He nodded, "You hear right. Commander O'Neill gave me a list of supplies to pick up for you people. Why?"

"Well, I was wondering if yo could swing by Alpha-2 and get a machine called a..."

"You want me get the Hummer?" Alonzo asked. "I thought Walman and Baines brought that back when they went several months ago?"

"Unfortunately, it wasn't ready then. We had to have it resdesigned to be a land cruiser." Devon said with a smile.

Alonzo nodded, "Sure, Course, since I'm going through well-known Council Resistance areas, it's gonna run you a little........."

Devon laughed, "I know...extra. No problem." She turned and walked away. He sighed. The woman was arguably nuts. Had to be. She was packing off something like a thousand people to colonize a new planet. It was a worthy mission though and Lord did it pay well.

Alonzo crossed over to the poker table and sat down across from Alex Wentworth and her husband Les Fierstein. To his left, Walman was staring at his hand and shaking his head. Alonzo leaned over, "I'd fold."


Julia Heller very gently pulled her brother into her arms and cradled him there for a minute. "This is wrong, what I'm doing and if the Council knew, we'd both be in trouble but I made you a promise and you need me. You are the only person in my life that I've been able to trust completely and I'm not going to let you down." She shook him gently and he opened his eyes. "Let's go."

With her help, he stood and she said, "Take off yor clothes. We're gonna walk the Lower Promenade. Chances are better of not being seen. In any case, I want you to look like a doctor. If we get stopped, you keep your head down and let me do the talking."

He nodded and redressed in white garments. She saw him frown at the clothing and then he said, "This is really bad. I look really Councilish." She laughed and then put her arm around him.

"Come on." They slipped out through the hall and because of the lateness of the hour, they were able to get to the docking pad unseen.

He smiled, "Thank you. I won't forget this."

She touched his arm and did her best to hold back tears. She doubted that she would ever see him again. "I love you. When you get to the Quadrant or wherever you're going, you promise me you'll take care of yourself and if you can, get me a message. Please. Send it back with Solace if you have to but I gotta know you're alright."

He smiled, "Okay. Now get outta here and get back to your quarters. I rigged the cameras on these decks to stay off for roughly twenty minutes. You ain't got much time. Get outta here."

She kissed him on the cheek and then ran like hell.


Katherine Heller said, "I'm sorry. I guess he was kidnapped or something from the Infirmary. The Resistance took him. Our inside man told us that they killed him almost immediately. It just goes to show that the only way to be safe is to stick with the Council."


PRESENT

Alonzo pulled her body closer to him and kissed her, holding her in arms and feeling her flesh against his own. He could feel her hands wandering over his chest and then one hand grasped his dog tags. She kissed him and then just as she was about to pull her hand away from the tags, she pulled away from him.

"What the...." She said. She stared at his tags.

"What the hell is wrong?" He gasped. He rans his hands through his messed up hair and looked at her.

"Lemme see your tags." She said. He gave her a strange look and then took them off and handed them to her. Almost immediately, he felt the loss of the tags, his only memory of being a piolt besides his jacket. He watched Julia turn the tags over in her hands, scraping the back with her fingers.

"Hey, 'Lonz, there is something carved on this." Julia said, squinting carefully. "I can't read it though."

He blinked and then a memory assaulted him. "I know what it says. It was from this guy that I used to know. I think his name was Josh. I never knew his last name. In any case, I helped him get away from the Council. He said they were chasing him." He noticed Julia staring at him and then he noticed the tears in her eyes. "What, what is it?"

"Joshua...was he, uh, blonde and pretty good-looking. Uh..."

Alonzo shrugged, "Sure. When he came to me, he was pretty jacked up though. He said the Council had interrogated him."

"Alonzo, what does the message say?" Julia said quickly.

"Why?" He asked. He was puzzled. He remembered Josh, this arrogant but withdrawn young man who had been intent on getting to the Quadrant and yet very concerned about someone he had left behind on the station.

"He was my brother, 'Lonzo. Joshua Heller was, no, is my brother." Julia said.

He stared at her in shock and then it all made sense." Oh my God. That's why he was running. He was interrogated and they got too close so he ran to protect you."

"Protect me from what?"

"He told me they interrogated him for being a member of the Resistance. Well, they were right. Josh wasn't only a member, he was practically the leader. The attack on Alpha-Beta was his doing. Nobody died but it sure pissed off the Council.That was his way. He used to attack places where there were no civilians but where there was plenty of technology. He took out the War Lab at L-Star. He wanted to get away to make sure nobody looked your way or even concidered you to be a memeber. He was worried that if he underwent another Interrogation and they were to find out, they'd mistakenly think you were part of it."

Julia just stared at him, "What happened to him?

"Last I knew, I dropped him off at Alpha-2 and he went to flight school. I know he wanted to be a pilot. He probably is one. He wanted me to give you the message he sketched on the back of my tags. It says that he's alright."

She bowed her head and fell back into his arms, "Thank you." He kissed her on the cheek.

"Your brother was a good man."

"Yeah," She said, "I know. He was the first person to ever make me doubt the Council and for awhile after he left, I really did and then the Council told me that the Resistance had murdered him. I was broken and I turned back to the Council for guidance. Now I know the truth. One more chapter of Council lies." She looked up at the stars, "I hope he is alright."

Alonzo kissed her and pulled the sheets up around them, "I'm sure he is." He stayed up with her talking and remembering until she finally dropped off and then he curled up beside her and dropped off also.

And above them, the Colony ship continued towards them and in one of the crypts, a young man lay, sound asleep. The computer had identified him as Daniel Hudler but his friends in the Resistance knew him to be Josh Heller and they knew that he was going to G-889 to make sure that the planet was settled peacefully. And without Council interference.

-Fin


Started 12:00 P.M.
Ended 1:45 P.M
Date: 6-14-95

This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.