EVEN BAD DAYS START OUT GOOD
By
Alex Queirolo


Timeline: Time Unknown
Author's E-Mail:CUVH94A@prodigy.com


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
This is my new piece. Hope ya like it. Part one anyhow. -Alex


Even Bad Days Start Out Good

For the first day in weeks, the temp acutually rose rather than fell. Julia smiled as she thoughtfully watched the children play in the snow. How strange that these children who had never seen snow were now building this grotesque figure which they called a Snowman.

"Hey doc." Alonzo said coming up from behind her. He wrapped his arms around her waist without taking much notice as to where his hands were resting. She frowned at him as she felt the warmth of his hands touch her cool flesh. He put his head over her shoulder and she felt the bristle of his stuble against her face. Alonzo had stopped shaving regularly. That was alright.

"Alonzo." She said cooly although she really didn't feel that way. She smiled at his shocked expression and was not at all suprised when he waved it off moments later and put his face back against hers.She said, "What's going on?"

"Oh, Devon and Danziger are doing inventory." Alonzo said softly. "Are you watching the kids?"

Julia frowned. The truth was, she didn't really know if she was watching the kids. Bess Martin was outside but it seemed that she was talking to Morgan more than paying attention to Uly and True. "I guess so. I think so."

"Hm. Are you sure. You look cold. I could warm you up."

"You know, I think there is a hell of a lot to inventory. Devon might appreciate your help." She grinned. He rolled his eyes.

"Nah. I think I'll stay right here with...."

A loud explosion rocked the calm serenity of the day. Julia looked at Alonzo in alarm and then they both jerked into action running towards the edge of camp. "Who's there?" Julia cried.

"Walman. He took my place." Alonzo said. He pulled a pistol from his belt and caught Julia's look. "Yeah, yeah. Danziger thinks that in light of all of our problems lately, we should stay armed."

"You tried to seduce me with a gun in your pocket?' Julia asked incredously.

Alonzo grinned, "That's not the only gun in my pocket." She shook her head and they reached Walman who was lying dazed and confused under a thin layer of powdered snow. Alonzo helped him up. "You alright, man? What happened?"

Devon, Danziger and the rest of camp appeared behind Alonzo and Julia and Devon and Danz pushed to the front. Walman shook his head. "I heard something and then the damn thing exploded. Sound was incredible. Ahhh.. my damn ears are ringing." Walman complained. Julia looked at Baines who nodded and hustled off into the direction of her med-tent. She crossed over to him.

"Does your head hurt?" She asked. He nodded slowly. "Alright. Stay still. I won't know anything for certain until I get my diaglove."

Danziger kicked the snow and wood debris around. There were small chunks of metal around and one larger rubberish looking component. He picked it up and scowled at it. "Crude sound-bomb." He muttered turning it over.

"Jury rigged together with a prayer and a hell of a lot of luck but we are talking about someone who knows what they are doing."

"One of us?" Devon asked, regretting her words almost instantly. She should have said them to Danziger alone. Or Alonzo..or Julia but most certainly not to the entire group. Morgan looked at her.

Bess saw the look, "Don't say it, Morgan." She said and so he didn't.

Devon gave her a look of thanks and then shot Danziger a pleading look.

He said, "Not one of us. We don't have equipment like this in our public or private inventories. Someone else set this off."

"What..a penal colonist?" Baines said as he returned. He handed Julia her med-kit. She quickly fished her diaglove out and put it on and began to run scans on Walman.

"More than likely. I can't think of anyone else." Danziger said. He turned around to the entire group, "Alright, everyone on their guard. From now on, I think we should have two men on watch." Everyone nodded their approval. "Now go on, calm down. Go about your business." Slowly, everyone began to filter away until it was just Devon, Danziger, Alonzo, Julia, Walman and Baines. Danziger looked at Alonzo and Baines, "Get armed, we're gonna do a scout. Maybe we can pick up some clues."

Julia and Devon looked up in alarm, "I don't think you should do that. We have no idea what's out there, John." Devon said.

"What do you propose, Adair? Do you think we should just sit around and wait for our bomber to attack again?"

"He's right, Devon. Walman's alright but if the blast had been any larger, it would have probably killed him." Julia said. She smiled reassuringly at Walman. "You're clear." He nodded and stood groggily to his feet.

"I hope you don't mind but I think I'll sit this one out, Danziger." Walman said.

"No prob, man. Get some rest." Danziger said. He looked at Devon. She sighed and reluctantly nodded.

"But I'm coming with you and don't say no, John. Baines, you may be needed back here." Devon said. It was assumed that Julia would be going with the group. Danziger scowled at her. Why the hell did she have to be so damned stubborn and air-headed?

"Fine." He growled.

***

The dune rail skipped tiredly over the the snow-specked terain protesting often about how overworked it was. Alonzo stood, using the jumpers to scan about them for anything looking slightly suspicious. Julia sat below him, looking up, watching him. Both the parts of her, the professional and the woman found that they were a little un-nerved that a bad leap of this rail could send 'Lonzo flying head-first from the rail. The prospect frankly scared the hell out of her. She made sure that she could grab him just in case.

Devon looked back at the handsome pilot. She didn't really like the idea of him standing either but unlike Julia, her feelings could be attributed to her mothering instinct. The same instinct that made her constantly say, "Be careful." The fact that someone had bombed them set that instinct into overdrive. She cared deeply about everyone in her party and she'd be damned if she'd watch any of them in pain. Someone had tried to kill them and almost got Walman. That called for immediate action.

She watched Dr. Heller watch Alonzo, To be honest, since Alonzo and Julia had gotten together and started to share a tent, she had seen signifigantly less of the young couple. Bess had once said in a joking tone that the couple was incapable of not touching ecah other. Especially Alonzo. Julia could turn on her professionalism but Alonzo could turn it off and he did so often.

She could tell that Julia was nervous because after four months together, she knew and understood the much younger (Yeah...there is another one of my age jabs) woman who was just beginning to understand herself. Now, as she watched Alonzo nervously, she was biting her bottom lip and turning the ring on her thumb.

"Julia?" Devon said quietly. Danziger looked at her but said nothing, keeping his eyes focused on the terain. Julia wasn't listening. Her mind was racing back to camp where just hours before, Alonzo had been trying to seduce her. The explosion and the realization that Walman had taken Alonzo's shift scared the hell out of her. True, Walman hadn't been badly hurt but he could have been and so could have Alonzo.

"I just can't lose you..."

"Julia?" Devon said again. Danziger turned again and looked at the doctor who was still staring up at Alonzo, a blank expression on her face. "Julia!"

Julia blinked, her mental images fading and reality cracking against her. She gazed in confusion at the others who were staring at her in concern. "Wha..what?"

Alonzo dropped the jumpers to his side and put his other hand to her jaw, the silky flesh rubbing against his dry, calloused hands. "Are you okay?" She covered his hand with one of hers and smiled, albeit falsely and nodded.

"Heads up, kids!" Danziger called out. Devon, Alonzo and Julia looked at where John was pointing and Devon gasped. It was a fort which looked incredibly fortified and very, very hazardous. "Let's go. Be careful."

They all got out and Alonzo took Julia's hand, bringing it to his lips for a moment so as to reassure her and then grasping it tightly. He looked at her with concern and so she smiled her best convincing smile and winked at him. The scene didn't go unnoticed by Danziger and Devon who found it very amusing for entirely different reasons.

"Okay, it could be booby-trapped. Alonzo and I..."

"Will go first? What? To protect us here women?" Devon challenged. John suddenly had one of his reaccuring urges to just back hand the infuriating woman. Except she'd hit him back and oh well...

"Fine, Adair. You go first." He said thinly. Lord how he wanted to shake her. Alonzo and Julia exchanged a look. Julia and Bess had been working on Danziger and Devon. Julia, more for retribution than anything else. And they would be a cool couple if she could just get them to get past the bickering and admit what they felt. Alonzo had a poll for that.

Alonzo stepped forward and said, "Julia and I will go first. Uh, if that's okay with you, I mean?" His eyebrow arched. "I can go alone."

Julia shook her head vehemently. There was no way in hell that she was letting him go alone. Devon echoed the though, "Both of you, it's safer." She licked her lips trying like mad not to look at Danziger.

"Okay." Alonzo said. "John, gimme the pistol?"

"You don't want the mag-pro?" Danziger questioned.

"The pistol is lighter." Danziger nodded and tossed him the gun. Alonzo looked at Julia and they began to walk towards the fort, bending lower as they went and branching off from each other.

"Be careful." Devon hissed from behind them. Julia looked at her and nodded, her lips pursed in a thin line. She looked nervous.

"Sure." Julia murmured, "Sure we will."

***

He looked behind him and took a deep breath. He could no longer see him companions who were just beyond the far tree. He clicked his thumb against his gear, turning it on, "Julia?"

"Yeah, 'Lonz. I'm around the back, I'm moving in."

He swallowed the growing lump in his throat and croaked dryly, "Okay, be careful, please. 'kay?"

He could almost see her life and it brought a smile to his face. It was a truely beautiful image. He had grown to love that cynical smile of hers. "Don't worry, 'Lonzo, I'll be fine. You be careful yourself. You're out in the open. If we are really are being hunted. You know..." She sighed and said brightly, "I'll see you inside." There was something in her tone, something horrifingly final and it chilled him.

"Please," he whispered, choking back the emotion and the growing sense of panic, "Be careful."

"I will. Heller out."

He sighed reluctantly and pulled the gear off but he didn't turn it off. As he began to walk towards her position, still crouching low, he thought about her and so he began to trot. A horrific scream of terror stopped her cold. "Alonzo!!!!!!!!!"

***

Doctor Julia Heller had seen a lot. On her first day of apprenticing with Dr. Vasquez, a twenty-two year old pilot, a cocky fly-boy not unlike Alonzo, had been brought in, suffering extreme injuries from a postdocking explosion. His name had been Jamie Carter and he had been one of the first people to teach her about the strength of the human spirit. Over the next four months, it had been her job to take care of the bitter young pilot and it had been extremely difficult. He had held in all of his anger and refused to allow her to help him. It had taken everything she had to get through to him. Jamie's anger and pain had set her soul on fire. There had been no romantic love but she had cared for him very deeply. Jamie had been the reason that she had volunteered for the Eden Project. So much anger and pain and she knew that she could help.

Now, as she looked into her captors' eyes, she knew he was insane. Driven by the same anger and pain that could have destroyed Jamie but hadn't. The man stared down at her through scarred features and held a knife on her.

He grabbed her by her shirt and pulled her upwards sending a mad jolt of pain racing through her body. She licked her lips and tasted her blood, salty in her mouth. She looked at her collar and saw that blood had pooled there. Her head hurt. Clearly, she was damned lucky to be alive. Her attacker didn't seem to be very happy about it though.

"Please..." She murmured, watching her collar go crimson. She closed her eyes. Yes, she was scared but she was also aware of the fact that she had screamed over gear. Screamed Alonzo's name. She had been falling through the false floor, wondering if she'd ever land. She knew that Alonzo would come after her and he would be hurt the same way she was. "Look, did you attack us?" She said, her voice cracking.

"I've laid claim. My land. You are intruders. All will die." The man said. He opened his mouth and Julia observed his horribly rotted teeth and the stench that came off of him. She was a doctor though, she cold tolerate that. His wild, unfocused eyes scared the hell out of her. He was insane, in a much different way than Gaal had been, but insane just the same. She didn't doubt for a minute that he'd kill her if he wanted to.

"Please, we'll leave you alone. We...we were just alarmed by the bomb and.."

He struck her across the face and she cried out in a mixture of shock and anger. He was wearing a jagged ring and so it drew blood. She felt the warm liquid dribble down her cheeks yo mix with the other coagulated blood. She looked across the room and saw her gear lying broken, or seemingly so, less than five feet away.

***

"Julia!" Alonzo screamed into his gear. Panic seized him, "Devon! Danziger!" He called out.

Devon responded instantly," Alonzo, what is it? What's wrong?" There was alarm in her voice.

"Julia's gone! She screamed, she's hurt!" He blurted. "I'm going after her..."

"No!" Danziger cried. "I mean, hold on, buddy. We're on our way. Hold tight, man. Stay put."

Alonzo nodded. Oh God, he should have gone first. If she was hurt or God forbid worse, he's never forgive himself. "You gotta be alright." He said to himself.

***

After five minutes, Julia knew the man was beyond being saved from his insanity. He had struck her three times, each time drawing a signifigant amount of blood. Julia guessed that they were all superficial wounds but it hurt just the same. She knew that he was going to kill her. Her only hope was that Alonzo would find her. On the other hand, it was also her worst nightmare. She was deathly afraid that Alonzo would find her and then this psycho would kill him too.

She felt tears well up in her eyes as the pain and fear mixed together in a volatile combination. "Please don't do this. My group..my friends..."

"Your boyfriend, you mean. The dark-haired one." The man said calmly He turned a sharp blade over against his palm. "I've seen your group. All who are not useful and that is most, will die."

"That won't be so easy. they'll hunt you down." She said, a tear rolling down her cheek and landing on her collar as a red drop. She noticed that her jacket had been torn at the shoulder.

He conceded the point, "Maybe. By that time, it won't matter to you." He walked over to her and pressed against her, "Unless, you give me a reason to let you live."

Her face tightened in anger. She drew upon all her courage and then spat into his eye, crying out emotionally, "Go to hell." She found herself stunned by her own reaction although truthfully, she wasn't sure if she was more suprised by the fact that her spit was red, tinted with blood or that she had spat at all.

He struck her solidly across the face and snarled, "Have it your way."

***

Danziger examined the door with a flash light and his eyes. He turned and announced, "There is blood here." He looked up at Alonzo who was standing next to Devon, a horribly concentrated expression on his face. Devon was clutching Alonzo's arm, trying to reassure him. "Alonzo, hand me a branch. I've got a hunch."

Alonzo didn't move, so focused was he and so Devon handed John a six foot tree branch. Danziger thanked her and then glanced at Alonzo. Devon said, "What is it, John?"

"There's dust all around this door. It's disturbed right around here but not beyond. This could be a false floor." He pressed the branch against it and the floor collapsed. "Yeah...yeah." Devon leaned over Danziger and so he suddenly had to swallow as he couldn't keep himself from realizing how very close to him she was.

"John, look." Devon pointed to a scrap of cloth that was hanging from the wall. Danziger reached across and grasped it. Devon had to hold his arm to make sure that he didn't fall through.

His eyes widened, "It's from Julia's jacket. uh, her shoulder, I think." His voice was flat and it sent a chill through Devon.

"Oh my God." Devon took the blue cloth that belonged on the shoulder of the young doctors' jacket. She looked up in horror at Alonzo who was growing progressively paler and she said in a nearly inaudible voice, "It's covered in blood."

***

Julia began to inspect herself, inventorying her various injuries. Truth be told, she was a bloody mess. Thankfully, nothing was broken. However, she still felt awful. Her shirt was ruined, stained crimson. She licked her lips and swallowed. Her throat was intolerably dry and there was so much dust floating around. True, nothing was broken but a lot was injured. Her captor needn't worry about her trying to make an escape, on foot at least. Her left ankle was horribly sprained. Any movement at all sent shock waves through her body. She wasn't going anywhere without help. She felt sleeply but she strongly suspected at least a mild concussion from the fall and so she fought tooth and nail to remain consious. All she wanted was to feel Alonzo's arms around her, pulling her to him and promising to love and protect her. Was that too much to ask? Right now, it most certainly was. She touched the back of her head and felt a sticky, wet patch. Head trauma. Calm. Stay calm. Calm.

She looked over and focused on the gear. Moving slowly, painfully, she was able to grasp the gear and pull it to her breast. She realized instantly that it was broken but still useful. Okay. Think. Damn it. Think. Come on, Doc. For Alonzo. Think.

***

Devon Adair said, "Baines, you guys get out, now! We're in trouble and so is Julia. Bring a stretcher and her emergency trauma kit. And hurry. Please. Julia's life could very well depend on it." Her voice was rocked with emotion.

"On our way, Dev. Just hold on." Baines said instantly. She heard fluid talking in the background as the Eden crew quickly united as they had done so many times before in order to help one of their own. "Just hold on."

Devon nodded and turned away from John and Alonzo.

***

Despite her intentions, Julia Heller lost consiousness and slipped into a bluish haze where everything was painless. It felt good and yet she hated it.

Her captor, Lucas Parker watched her.


And here is the 2nd half. Send all comments to CUVH94a@Prodigy.Com

-Alex


Despite her intentions, Julia Heller lost consiousness and slipped into a bluish haze where everything was painless. It felt good and yet she hated it.

Her captor, Lucas Parker watched her. He had been important once. Respected vene and then the Council had used him in one of their freakish experiments and then destroyed him. And to make matters worse, they had sent him to this awful planet. Talk about adding insult to injury. Now he was nothing. The Council had changed him. For the better, really. He now embraced death and he enjoyed watching people suffer and he enjoyed watching the doctor die.

Lucas said, "Good show."

***

Baines held the rope as Danziger, Devon, Morgan, Bess and Alonzo lowered down to the level below. "You down?" He cried.

Someone replied, "Yeah. Keep your gear on."

***

Lucas turned and was stunned by the sight of all the colonists. He recovered instantly and then squinted as he looked at Alonzo. "I know you."

Alonzo began to breathe hard. "No."

"Alonzo?" Devon said. Danziger held a mag-pro on the man, as did Morgan.

"This bastard almost killed my co-pilot two years ago. Damn near crippled him with a bomb. Exloded while my co was doing a post-docking inspection." Alonzo said. "Where is Julia?'

"You're just in time for the party, Solace." He grabbed Julia by the collar and yanked her up. "If you want to live, sit."

"Drop her, man. It's over!" Danziger called out. Devon stood next to him.

"Over for you." He turned the gun on Danziger and fired. As John hit the floor, under Alonzo's weight, he was very much aware that the only reason that he was alive was that Alonzo had tackled him.

Devon said, "We mean you no harm. Please, we just want Julia. We will be moving on soon enough."

He laughed.

Julia saw what was going on through the blue haze and so she began to pull herself through it. It was difficult. It hurt so badly and each level she climbed made her aware of more pain. So much more pain.

"Solace, you were both idiots. You're lucky and so was he." Lucas said. He grabbed Alonzo and put the muzzle of his gun to Alonzo's temple. Devon gasped and her eyes widened.

"Hey...no...I'll do it." A small voice said from below them. Lucas tossed Alonzo away and grabbed Julia.

"What did you say?"

"You asked me earlier if I..yes.."Julia gasped. She tried to shove the shadows away but og God how it hurt.

He nodded and grabbed her, shoving his lips against hers. Alonzo cried out in anger and began to move forward. Danziger pulled him back.

Julia said to him, "Hey, I want to look at you."

"Why?" Lucas asked, drawing away from the doctor.

"Because I want to see what you look like before I rearrange your face."

"Oh really?" He said, amusement obvious.

She nodded. "Really."

He laughed and moved back towards her, his fingers fumbling against her shirt as Alonzo and the others looked on in horror. They could charge him and surely beat him but chances were that he'd kill Julia first and they wouldn't gamble with her life. "Have you gotten your look?" He laughed.

"Yeah. Thanks. I have." She drew back and calling upon every ounce of strength which she still posscessed, she sent her fist with the makeshift steel knuckles which she constructed using the brokem gear, right into Lucas' face. He cried, howling in horror and he felt back. Alonzo was upon him instantly, slamming his fist against him.

Devon and Bess went to Julia while the men tried to pull Alonzo off Lucas even though they both wanted to pound the man themselves. "Stop it! Enough!" Danziger cried.

Lucas looked up, his nose broken and he said through a daze, "Not quite." He grabbed the knife that had fallen and he lunged for Alonzo. Morgan threw himself against Alonzo and Danziger reflected the knife, back into Lucas. He drew away and looked in horror as Lucas stared at the blade before falling to the ground, dead. He looked at Alonzo.

Alonzo leaped up and went to Julia, pulling her against him and cradling her.

***

Alonzo Solace walked into the med-tent and saw Devon and Julia talking. Julia was lying on the cot, her face covered in cuts and white gauze but looking really good concidering what she had been through just three days earlier. Devon saw him and excused herself.

Alonzo leaned over to her and kissed her forehead, "Hey, doc."

She laughed. The last time he had called her that, he had been trying to seduce her. To be honest, she wouldn't really mind being seduced right now and so she didn't object at all when he gently laid her back against the bed, murmuring, "God, I love you."


-Fin


Started: April 5, 1995
Finished: May 19, 1995 10:08 P.M.

-Alex

This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.