MOVING ON (BUT NOT REALLY)
By
Alex Queirolo


Timeline: After "All About Eve" (Day 150)
Author's E-Mail: CUVH94A@prodigy.com


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
Disclaimer: Alright, I wrote this Sunday night. Um, it's just kinda wild and since we all know E2 is gonna get picked up, it doesn't really fit, oh well. I call it creative liscense. Whatever. I'm young, I can get away with it. I'm only 17.

-Alex


MOVING ON (BUT NOT REALLY)

Ulysses Adair was incredibly strong, concidering. Concidering the fact that he'd just watched his beloved mother, dying from God only knew what, be placed into what could very well end up being, a glass casket. From some, the image of Devon Adair in the cold-sleep crypt made them think of a childhood story called Sleeping Beauty. The only problem, the prince, couldn't wake her up with a kiss.

Of course, one could say Uly was in denial and why the hell not? Everyone else was. No one could quite believe that their fearless leader could be lost to them and so they rationalized by saying that she was only sleeping. That only made it worse.

Their beautiful young doctor was taking it quite personally. She and Devon had become good friends and so her inability to use her gentic gifts(if indeed gifts they could be called) was a crushing blow to the young womans' confidence. Julia Heller was now in a leadership roll and she didn't want it. Before, it had always been her backing Devon up or the two of them working together.

"Doc?" Julia turned. Alonzo Solace was standing behind her, his dark chocolate eyes wide with concern. Julia's mind flashed and a memory assaulted her. Danziger had brought Alonzo in over his shoulder, unconsious and dying and for a split second, she hadn't been able to move or breathe. She loved the man and perhaps it had been that raw emotion which had convinced Elizabeth to help them when Bennett would not.

Alonzo took her gently into his arms and held her against his muscular chest. "I'm okay." She said. She looked up at him and ran her hand over his stubled cheeks. He hadn't shaved in several days. None of the men had. Her own hair was a disheiveled mess.

Alonzo said,"It's gonna be okay..she's alive...."

"With what quality of life, 'Lonz? She's frozen like a sleep-jumper with the only difference being that no timer is going to wake her up. Only we can...and then what? Then what?" Julia cried, her emotions spilling out. She didn't need to pretend for this man, he knew her too well.

She began to cry softly and so he kissed her lightly, rubbing his stuble against her own silky flesh. The effect was comfort and so she held on to him, needing that very much. "Hey, we got to make it, for Devon. She's alive, Julia. We, you more than the rest of us, have got to believe."

Julia nodded. That was true. She didn't break away from his tender embrace though. Two days ago, they had put Devon in the cold-sleep crypt and now, they found themselves extremely hesitant to leave. Yes, they had to continue on to New Pacifica but when, was another matter all together. None of them wanted to believe that Devon wouldn't be going with them. Many of them belived that at any moment, Devon would(and could) simply stride out of the space ship, clap her hands authortively and declare that there was ground to be covered. Julia Heller knew that that wasn't going to happen, not anytime soon, anyhow.

Alonzo said,"John, well, he doesn't want to leave. Not yet. I think he's convinced himself that Devon is alright."

That only made it worse. John had taken it upon himself to be the Eden Projects' emotional pillar of strength. Consequently, he hadn't spoken about the incident since it had happened. He was ignoring his own emotions and that wasn't good.

Julia pulled away from Alonzo, "Help me gather everyone, 'Lonz." She kissed him quickly and then broke towards the tent flap. He watched her, admiring her spirit and strength. He also knew that if she was going to remain strong through it all, she was going to need the rest of the groups' help and he knew that he personally, would be behinf her one hundred percent.

He grabbed his leather jacket off the bed and swung it over his shoulder. He sighed and followed her out of the tent, stopping only to talk to Danziger and to fill him in. John's expression grew grim but he was receiving and that was something. The two men went towards Julia who had effectively gathered everyone.

John could tell by their expressions that none of them quite knew what to expect and suddenly he was angry at himself for having put Julia in this position. It was his responsibility and he knew it. Devon had left him in charge.

(we can't let her die.....)

"Alright." Julia began slowly. She had no idea what she was going to say. She had tried to work it all out in her mind but her thoughts kept being refused and so she decided to just wing it. Sometimes, emotions spoke loudest. "We've gone through a lot in the last few days. All of us...and we've suffered some terrible, unforgettable losses." She swallowed. "Now, it's time to move on."

People started talking all at once.

"We can't leave! What about Devon?"

"No...you're crazy..."

"How can we leave Devon?"

"This is nuts!"

Julia squeezed her eyes shut, "Damn it, don't you understand!" She shouted. "There is nothing I can do right now! We don't have any choice! We can't stay here nad wait? Don't you understand? We gotta make it to New Pacifica, not only for Devon, but for those 250 famlies...and for us."

"What about Devon?" Bess asked. Her words were soft and non-antagonistic. They wanted truth and they would accept what they heard. By the look on Bess Martins' face, she had accepted the truth because she was the type of person who met things head-on. She just had to hear the words.

Julia looked at Alonzo and Danziger, her blood-shot eyes pleading for their support. For a moment, John said nothing and then he stepped forward and quietly said," After we get to New Pacifica, we, some of us, will come back for her. Right now, it's important that we get there. Devon would tell you the same and you know it. We are not doing her any good waiting around. It's time to move on." He went to his knee and looked at Uly who was standing next to True, "I swear to you, it's not over. As God is my witness, you'll see your mother again."

That suprised all of them. Danziger was not the type to make hopeful promises and yet in his words, there was a ring of truth which declared that he too, would see Devon again. If not only to settle old scores, possibly to tell her how he felt.

Uly looked at the others who now seemed to be watching him and he made a decision, though it was to be the most difficult of his life, "I say we go." Uly said in a very quiet voice nad for a moment, everyone forgot that this boy was nine. But as Julia was watching his stoic face, she could not forget and her heart ached for him and for them all.

"Danziger said," Shall we take a vote?"

Fifteen minutes later, the Eden Project began to move again, silent and united in their anguish, a stormy rain cloud of emotion hovering above them.

-Fin


-Alex Queirolo
Start: 5-21-95
Typed: 5-23-95
Time: 4:50 P.M.

Send all comments to CUVH94A@Prodigy.Com

This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.