JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS
By
Bushra Rashid


Timeline: After "Survival of the Fittest" (Day 117)
Author's E-Mail: tecequip@khi.compol.com


JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS

Alonzo Solace was lying in his tent, starring at an invisible point on it, sleep being the last thing on his mind. It had been a week since they had gone through that terrible ordeal, finding an empty cargo pod, Running out of rations, Morgan breaking his leg and worst of all having to eat that poor Grendler. He stills couldn't believe the fact the Julia had insisted on eating it instead of taking his side. Thinking about Julia, he noticed the empty space besides him on his cot. They had not spoken more than five sentences to each other since returning. She had probably noticed his mood & when she decided to sleep in her room in the dome for a while, he hadn't said a word in protest.

"Why didn't she listen to me, why does she have to be so goddamn selfrighteous all the time" he thought in frustration. He recalled what she had said when he told her that she was taking Danzinger`s side, `I`m taking our side Alonzo`. Then he silently cursed himself, "why am I thinking like that, she was just thinking what she thought was best for the group. She loves you, for god's sake that's why she told you what seemed like the right option to her. She does not have crush on Danzinger if that's what your insecure little mind is thinking." He groaned and then got up. "I can't go to sleep until I talk to Julia that I was wrong, She made the right decision. I was totally out of line when I accused her of taking sides." He picked up his jacket and opened his tent flap to go to the her tent.

In the meantime, Julia was also wide-awake. "Alonzo is mad at me for some reason but the reason is beyond my knowledge", she thought silently. She felt as if a part of her was missing for a couple of days. 'Way to go Heller," she thought, "You are ruining the most beautiful thing that ever happened to you without knowing why." "I`ll go talk to him, he's probably on watch, he'll be glad to see me. Hopefully."

She got out of her room in the dome. "It is much colder than I thought it would be" She said to herself & grabbed a jacket that was lying nearby. She went outside looking around & nearly screamed her lungs off when somebody grabbed her by the shoulders. "Shh, It`s me Julia, don't wake up the whole camp." "Danzinger, It's you. You scared me." She said, obviously shaken. "Sorry Doc, But were you expecting Santa Claus." Danzinger replied with a smile. "No, actually I was looking for Alonzo". She explained. "Fly boy still sleeping in the singles quarters, I see." He replied sympathetically. Noting her startled look, he added "C`mon Julia, do you think that in a camp of about 13 people, you can hide these things? Especially if one of those people is Bess Martin? Julia managed a weak smile, "No, I guess not. I don`t know what has gotten into him. He is acting so strangely with me, I don`t understand what I could have done which is so terrible." Her voice began to tremble, "Maybe it`s me John, He has gotten over his little crush. Time for him to move on," A tear trickled down her cheek.

Danzinger had never seen Julia act so torn before and he did not think that he wanted to. "Listen doc," He said placing a comforting hand on her shoulder, "Nobody is leaving anyone. Give him some time. He's just shook up after the terrible time that we had." Julia turned her face towards him, her face now streaked with tears. This was a sight Danzinger had never seen before. Julia was the kind of person who rarely showed her emotions to anyone. He engulfed him in an awkward one-armed hug. She burrowed her head in his arms and wept.

Danzinger just held her for a few minutes, stroking her back gently and whispering "It'll be all right in her ears. Little did they notice the shadow, which watched them. Alonzo had gone to the medtent, finding it empty, he had gone outside and seen Julia and Danzinger in an embrace. He could never mistake the silky blond hair that he loved to tousle. He just could not believe his eyes. That was a painful sight for the young pilot, his handsome features turned into angry scowls and he walked up to his tent feeling as if the life had been drained out of him.

Julia straightened up after a while, ‘I'm sorry for that, Danzinger. I just lost control, Alonzo means a lot to me and….", her voice trailed off. "Don't be sorry, It's all right. If it will make you feel any better, I will talk to `Lonz in the morning." "No, it's fine. I`ll talk to him myself " Now that she had confided in someone, she felt better and ridiculous. She was out in the cold with only a jacket on and she was the one who always reminded everyone continuously to protect themselves from the weather. " Thanks a lot for listening John." She turned around to go back in. "Hey Doc," Danzinger called after her, "I never said that I was sorry for knocking you down the other night. I was just worried about us and I took it out on you and `Lonz." Julia turned back and smiled, "Like you said, it's alright, goodnight". * Danz is a nice guy.* she thought, * he looks after all of us like a big brother except for Devon, They look after each other like an old married couple, bickering all the time.* Thinking about Alonzo`s dimpled smile and Danzinger`s rather crooked one, she went to sleep.

" Bess, honey could you please hurry up, I have something to show you." Morgan Martin wheedled her wife. "Yes Morgan, I am coming, just let me get a coat or a jacket, I can't find mine anywhere ". Julia who had just walked out from her room said, "Bess, I took it outside last night, it is lying inside my tent, I`ll go get it," then noting Morgan`s pained expression, she added, "Here you take mine instead, I`ll wear yours until you come back." "Thanks Julia, "said Morgan. " We'll be back in about an hour" Julia nearly doubled over when he gave her a smile.*What has gotten in him, he appears to be pretty cheerful.* "Be careful," she could not help adding.

"What is it Morgan, why have you dragged me so far from camp." Bess asked him impatiently. Morgan could be such an idiot at times. "Ta da…."Morgan exclaimed happily, "Happy Birthday sweetie," "Morgan, this is beautiful," Bess held her breath over the arrangements of flowers in the small clearing, although it was morning this part of the region was still pretty dark and the candles Morgan had lit around what seemed to be a tiny cake looked so romantic. "You did all this, the flowers and the cake, for me." "Right on spot. I begged Uly to give me some of his chocolate that we gave him at his birthday and after promising him to take him sledding for a week, he gave in. then I searched Yale`s mind for the recipe of a cake for the most beautiful women on earth," he gazed at her lovingly, " But he didn't have it so you will have to settle for a chocolate cake instead." "Morgan, that is so sweet of you," Bess planted a big kiss on his lips. "Where did you find this spot, It is so peaceful in here," ‘Oh Alonzo told me about it. He said that he and Julia come here sometimes to …….y`know." " To do this, I presume." She gave him such a kiss that his eyes blew out of their sockets. Morgan finally came out of his stance and put a small square object on the floor, "It is a miniature boom box. Remember they used to have it on earth long ago." "Yes, they were replaced by VR, where did you get this one?" Bess asked. " I made it from some parts of a VR Danzinger gave me, I thought it would be better than VR, more romantic." He clicked it one and beautiful music began to stream out, "May I have this dance please, Miss Martin?" He asked her. "You certainly could." Bess replied with a smile. She took his extended hand and put her arms around him dancing slowly, thinking, " He maybe an idiot, but he sure is sweet at times."

Not far from here, Alonzo was lying down, his hands serving as pillows, thinking about all the times Julia and he had come her in the past days. Just thinking about her send angry waves through his body. "How could she do this to me," He thought angrily, " I loved her like I have never loved someone before and this is the thanks I get." Still, a corner of his mind still denied what his eyes had seen, " She and John had become pretty close in the last few days, maybe she was hugging him as a friend only." "In the middle of the night, I don't think so." Another part of his mind responded. "The only way to find out is to talk to her" He finally decided. As he got up, he could here muffled voices coming not far from him. He came closer and peeked from behind a tree. He saw two people locked in an embrace but could not make out the faces because of the dark shadows casted by the trees. He began to walk away thinking, " Probably some love birds from our camp." But suddenly turned around. The smaller figure which was probably a female was wearing a blue jacket. Exactly the one like which Julia had. Infact it was the same. He remembered Julia sewing a patch on the elbow with a different colored cloth when hers had torn somehow. The red patch stood out from the jacket and he could see it clearly even in the dark. "This is it, Doc. We are through."
He thought to himself, angrily stomping back to Camp.

Julia had gone on a scout looking for herbs that they could use as food with Danzinger in the ATV. "Did you make up with Lonz.?" The burly mechanic asked. " No, he was not at camp in the morning. Devon said that he had wandered off saying that he needed some time off and since we had already agreed that we would go on scout, she let him go." "Uh huh" was his only reply. Nearing camp they saw two figures ahead of them going hand in hand. "Morgan, Bess, hop in we hitch you a hike." Julia called out. "Thanks guys," Bess replied stopping. Both had grass in their hair and Morgan was smiling from ear to ear like an idiot. Julia and Danzinger exchanged amused looks but said nothing. " Hey Bess, Here's your jacket back. Sorry for the trouble." Julia handed her back her jacket. " It's okay Julia."

Bess returned her jacket to her. As they came near, they could sense some commotion. On nearing they saw Uly and true holding hands with a girl. " Mary", Bess exclaimed jumping of the ATV and hugging the young girl. " We found her sleeping over there," True pointed out. "Her feet were so cold that we woke her up and pulled her all the way here so that she does not get sick." " C`mon Mary, I`ll give you some warm clothes and some hot tea." Bess told her gently leading her to the dome. Julia who had stiffened when she saw Mary, finally got over her self and called, " Bess, take her to the med tent, I want to check her vitals, she may be suffering from frostbite." She scampered behind them, looking around as casually as she could for Alonzo. Danzinger caught her watching around and as their eyes met, he gave her a wink. She smiled and went in.

" She is suffering from Frostbite to a small extent, but mostly from malnutrition." Julia told Devon. " Obviously, after the chaos with Morganite, The terrians have abandoned her completely. Bess, see that she drinks a lot of fluids and make her keep her feet in warm water for another 15 minutes." She said, and spotting Alonzo added," I`ll be back in a few minutes to check on her."

Alonzo went into his tent still fuming. The flap opened again and Julia stepped in. "Hi `Lonzo, I've been looking all over for you. Where have you been." She asked him with concern. " What do you care Julia," he snapped back. Julia took a step back, startled by his tone. "Alonzo, what's wrong." "What's wrong, why don't you tell me what's wrong Doc. I am sick and tired of you. You think that I don't know anything, you think that I don't know what's been going on? Do you really think that you can walk here and expect me to greet you like there hasn't been any thing unusual at all? I am not that stupid." "What are you talking about Alonzo? Julia could feel tears welling up in her eyes. " Don't play dumb with me Julia, you are nothing but a liar. Y`know, Devon was right the first time, we should have left you behind, I was stupid to come back for you, to think that I can trust you. Once a backstabber, always a backstabber." Julia's face had turned ashen at his last words, she couldn't believe what she had heard or the fact that these words were spoken by the person she loved with all her heart. "Alonzo, remember you once said that you trusted me all along and that you will never break my heart..." She began shakily. "Well Doctor Heller, I was lying, I guess you are pretty familiar with lying yourself. I would be pretty happy if you could get out of my tent and my life." With these words, he turned around. Julia could now barely hold her tears, she hurriedly went out from his tent, the cruelty of his words still ringing in her mind. BACKSTABBER LIAR.

When she walked in the dome, Bess ran to her Devon close at her heels, leaving a very surprised Mary with her feet in water. "Julia, what's wrong? You look like you have seen a ghost." Bess asked her with concern. When she could not answer, Devon got worried, Julia was the most stable one in there group, to get her in such a state should have taken a lot. " Julia, please talk to me. Julia you are scaring me now." She asked worriedly. Instead of answering, Julia buried her face in her hands and began to sob uncontrollably. Devon could think of nothing to say so she hugged her whispering, "it's okay" to her. She motioned Bess to go outside to find out what had happened. Julia kept her emotions within her and this was not like her at all. After a few minutes, Julia looked up, her face streaked with tears. "Do you want to talk about it?" she asked gently. " Devon,' she began, her voice shaking as she talked, " Alonzo told me to get out of his life. He said that you were right to leave me behind and that I am a…" tears were flowing down her cheeks freely once again. " A backstabber" " Oh god," Devon could not think of more words. "Listen, why don't you lie down in your cabin for some time, I`ll be there in a minute with some coffee for you. You are as cold as ice." Julia nodded and staggered in her room.

" Devon, this isn't good, Baines said that he was outside Alonzo`s tent and he said pretty ugly things to her…" Bess said coming in again. "I know Bess, Julia told me. What surprises me is that what had gotten into him to say such harsh things to her. He blows a fuse if anyone of us does that." ‘Julia is torn out at it. She finally thought that she had someone to care for and Alonzo hurts her like that." Bess said, "C`mon Mary, Let's give you some warm clothes. She motioned to the bewildered girl who obviously was not following the events happening.

Devon entered Julia`s room after they left. She was lying on her bed with her eyes closed. "Julia, here`s some coffee." She said. Julia sat back and gave her a fake smile. "Thanks Devon, for everything." She said quietly. "You know very well that you don`t have to thank me Julia, we're friends." "Devon, can I ask you something?" Julia asked. "Sure Julia, shoot" she replied, "Do you really think that you should have left me back? Do you regret your decision now? Do you still think that I may be a spy?" She asked in a trembling voice. "No, of course not Julia. Don`t even think about it. We did something wrong and you proved your loyality. It`s all in the past now. Listen, No matter what Alonzo has said to you, is unfair. It is not the truth." Devon assured her. "Thanks Devon." The young doctor replied with somewhat relief. "Now you can rest here for some time and if you feel okay, you can come check on Mary but she is doing fine now. Okay?" Julia nodded. Devon gave her a reassuring smile and went outside.

At the common room that night, the mood was pretty somber. Although Julia had come out in the afternoon to check on Mary, she had not come out for lunch or supper. Alonzo on the other hand appeared to be taking it pretty easily. He joked around with Walman, who gave him a pretty cold look and turned away and he was working on his charm on every female in camp, especially Mary, who seemed pretty glad with his attention. Julia came out for a moment presumably for some coffee and on seeing everyone present there stiffened up a bit. Everyone else in turn started to talk amongst each other for the thing they thought of right that moment. Bess gave her a smile, "The coffee is over here Julia, if that's what you are looking for." "Thanks , Bess." She replied. As she turned around, she saw Alonzo, with one arm wrapped around Mary, smiling at something she was saying. Two thoughts went through her mind, she could either go in and sulk at the person who had hurt her and was now enjoying himself or she could sit right here and face the music.

She chose the latter and sat down beside Devon who put an arm protectively around her. "You sure about this?" She asked skeptically. "Yes, Devon, I am, I am not going to let him get the satisfaction of watching me suffer more." Julia replied. About ten minutes later, Alonzo got up, and came up to Devon, who felt Julia stiffening up once again. "Mary and I are going on a little walk. We'll be back in about half hour." He said. "I don`t think that you should go out at…" " C`mon Devon, we'll be back soon," " Okay, Don`t wander off far from camp." She said reluctantly. He turned around, Holding Mary`s hand. "Well, I guess I better hit the sack." Julia declared and marched off hastily. Obviously this scene has deepened her hurt.

"Alonzo could be such a jerk, I never even imagined it." Exclaimed Morgan. " What has gotten in him, I mean, one day he`s ready to knock me out if I even as much as stare too long at Julia and the other day he is Mr. I–have-a–girl–at–every-port-in-the-universe." Baines said. "Look, whatever happens between them as a couple is none of our business, but he did say some nasty things to her which included us too, I heard him accuse her of two timing with one of us. That is our business." Devon stood up, "Look, I`ll have a talk with Alonzo to clear things up a bit when he comes back, but other than that, No playing matchmaker." She said. " Fine Boss, whatever you say," were most of the replies.

Alonzo and Mary were walking slowly enjoying the moonlight casted by the two moons of G889. " Alonzo,' Mary began, trying to find the appropriate words, her English still wasn't very good. "Why did you hurt Julia," "Mary, can't we find a less dramatic topic to talk about. She cheated on me. I`m over her now." He replied. "I am…" the words stopped in his throat as four Terrians came out of the ground in front of them. "Hey, we mean no harm" He said.

The Terrians trilled. "They think that since you betrayed them I should not communicate with you since I share the dreamplane with them. They think that you will make me betray them too." He explained. Mary trilled in return. This time the terrians lifted their shafts. " They want me to go with them to the mother, She will decide my fate." Mary said. "But Mary, they may decide to kill you…" Alonzo told her. "I do not care. I am half without them. If they decide to punish me. I must obey." She walked towards the Terrians. Two of them gripped her arms rather painfully, and looked up, starting to go in the ground. "No, Mary, wait" As Alonzo hurried towards her, the other two Terrians held their shafts in a cross and Alonzo found himself in a electrical shield of some kind. He felt as if a burning rod was being pushed in his head. His last memory was of Mary going down the earth and then he blocked out.

Julia was half asleep when someone started to wake her up. "Julia, wake up. It has been five hours since Mary and Alonzo left. I am sending a search team out, They may need your help." It was Devon. Slowly the words she had said started to sink in. " Five hours," She exclaimed. "Tell Danzinger to round up the ATV. I`ll be out in a sec" She said putting things frantically in her bag.

Two minutes later, a fully awake Julia was sitting besides Danzinger in the ATV, "Magus said that she saw them heading east." He told her. She nodded. " I don`t think that they may have gone very far. Alonzo and I usually… I mean Alonzo liked to go near those Morganite caves where there are some trees." She explained. " Then, we should get there pretty soon." He said. Sure enough, they could see a figure lying down on the ground in an awkward position. " Oh my god," Julia said noticing a puddle of blood near Alonzo`s head. "Do you see Mary anywhere" She asked. "No, Nowhere." Danzinger replied.

"He appears to have a huge gash on the side of his head. He has lost a lot of blood and has minor injuries on his hands and legs. Seems to me that he was given kind of a electric shock." Julia explained. Danzinger called camp on his VR. " Devon, we found `Lonzo, He's in pretty bad shape but no sign of Mary." He listened to Devon speak, " Yes Devon, we will return in about twenty minutes. Yes, I will keep my gear on. No, I'm not saying this to make you feel better, Danzinger out." He shoved the gear in his pocket and walked to Julia. Together they lifted him to the ATV. On the way back, They hardly said a word to each other.

Devon rushed to them as they reached Camp. "John, Carry him to the med tent," Julia said. " He has some injuries but basically he has lost a lot of blood." She told Devon as she walked to the med tent. "He`s going to be pretty weak when he comes to," She said settling on a chair next to the cot on which Alonzo lay. She injected something in his neck. Danzinger sat on another chair in the tent. Weak or not, he still could not risk the chance that Alonzo may start to talk garbage to Julia when he woke up. He could not explain the feelings he had for Julia, even when she was found out to be a spy, he felt sorry for her. When she came back, He was the only one apart from Alonzo who did not look at her like dirt. She felt like the little sister he never had.

Alonzo remained unconscious for the whole night. In the morning, Julia asked Danzinger to rest awhile since he had been there for the whole night but he refused. He only went out to bring a cup of Coffee for himself and Julia saying something about him no being a morning person.

Alonzo started to move a little and his eyelids flickered. Julia rushed to his side. He opened his eyes and when he saw her, he turned his face away from her. Julia felt a pang of pain in her chest, *he does not even want to look at me* Silently, she checked his vitals, Then seeing that he had stabilized went out, "Devon, he's waken up." Devon hurriedly scurried to the tent. " Alonzo, how are you feeling" she asked. "Fine Devon, but it hurts when I talk." He managed. " Alonzo, what happened to Mary, where is she?" Devon inquired. " Terrians took her. They will see for themselves if she is guilty or not then accept or reject her. They took her. I don`t remember what happened next." He said. "He'll need some food then he'll feel a whole lot better. He should be up in a day's time." The doctor diagnosed. " I`ll ask Bess to bring him something…" Devon started to walk outside. " No, you stay Devon, I`ll go tell Bess" Julia intercepted. *Apparently,* Devon thought, *she doesn't want to be here with him alone* She nodded.

Julia went out. Thinking that this was the right time to talk to him, She said "Alonzo, look it is probably none of my Business, but you said some things to Julia which were not right. I know that you broke up with her for some reason, but it`s still not right." "Look Devon, she cheated on me. I loved her more than any thing and what does she do. Kiss another guy in the woods so don`t tell me if this is fair or not because you don`t know…" Alonzo`s speech was cut short when Bess came in with a bowl. "Soup for you Alonzo, Julia said that you should eat something light now" She gave him a smile. "Thanks Bess." He said.

"By the way, where's Julia's jacket, I left something in it when I borrowed it a day ago." She asked. Alonzo pointed at the jacket, which hung at a peg in the corner of the room. " Thank God, it`s still there. Morgan would have been devastated if he found out that I lost our wedding ring. It must have rolled out when we were…" She reddened slightly "...were lying in the grass." After saying this she went out mumbling about lunch, still a dark shade of crimson. Devon smiled to herself. Now Bess would know how others felt when she teased them.

"Okay `Lonzo, It's up to you now." She told the pilot and didn't say anything more until Julia returned. "Devon, could you help me up, I want to move in to my own tent." He asked when he had finished his soup. Devon gave Julia a questioning look. "It`s all right Devon, he can go in his own tent but he still has to rest" Devon noted that Julia avoided eye contact with Alonzo. "C`Mon Alonzo," she said. Alonzo laid one arm on her shoulder and walked out.

"Hey Lonz, how are you doing buddy, Julia said you lost a lot of blood". Danzinger walked in Alonzo`s tent. Alonzo stiffened at his sight. John noticed it and asked, "What's wrong Alonzo?" "You know Danzinger. I thought we were friends," he began "But I guess I was wrong." " What are you talking about Alonzo?" He asked, puzzled. "I am talking about you and Julia. I saw you two that night." "What night, Alonzo, Julia is like my sister, the night you are talking about, she was upset over you being angry at her, thought you were at guard duty, apparently you were not. When I asked her what was wrong she broke own. Said that she couldn't live without you and it was driving her crazy to see you mad at her for some reason that she didn't know. I comforted her. That's it." Danzinger had raised his voice quite a bit now. He never thought that Alonzo would think this way. He looked at him. The pilot still looked skeptical. " What about yesterday morning, You were the one kissing her in the woods, weren't you?" " Listen, Alonzo, We were in no woods yesterday, we were at a scout together. Ask Magus, she was on gear with us all the time." "You are lying I saw her jacket myself," He stopped.

"Oh god, Danzinger, what color jacket was she wearing," he asked remembering Bess telling him that she had taken Julia's jacket. "A Brown one, like the one Bess had. Why?" He asked. "Shank, what have I done. Now I remember, Morgan asked me to tell him a quite place so he could take Bess there for her birthday. It must have been her I saw." Noting Danzinger`s puzzled expression, he explained " I saw two people kissing in the woods. I thought it was she because of the jacket, but Bess said that she had taken Julia's jacket yesterday. What have I done". He buried his head in his hands. "This is what you get by jumping to conclusions, you have hurt Julia very much. She is miserable and to top it, you flirted like crazy with Mary, who as Devon told me is with the terrians." " I was just doing it to make her feel bad. Mary is just a friend." He said. " Well, you better prepare a real good excuse `cos Julia is really gonna kill you when she finds this out. I doubt if she talks to you after what you did to her." " I know, John, I know." Alonzo replied. He was a total idiot. He cursed himself. He will have to come up with something soon. Now that he knew that she did not cheat on him he felt like he was missing one half of himself. Still. He thought, he should have talked to Julia if he thought she was involved with someone. He grimaced as he remembered the cruel words he had said to her. "I`ll apologize to her as soon as possible." He sat up with a grunt. Danzinger looked up. "Help me to Julia's room, will you?" he asked.

Julia was still in her room. She did not feel like eating so she skipped lunch and came to her room instead. She heard a knock at the door and was surprised to see Danzinger and…Alonzo with him. "Julia, we have to talk." Alonzo started. Danzinger started to walk away but Julia stopped him. "No, John please stay," she turned to Alonzo, her blue eyes icy, "No, Alonzo, there is nothing to talk about. You said so yourself. I am a backstabber, remember." She said. "Julia, listen…." "No, you listen to me, I am not going to stand here and listen to you saying things to me that are lies. I have my dignity, you don`t want to be with me, fine, but you have no right to accuse me of the things that I am not." She turned her back from them. " Julia, I came to say I am sorry." Alonzo said helplessly. She turned around "Sorry, what for, I am the one who should say sorry Alonzo, I am sorry that I thought that you loved me, I am sorry for the times I looked at you and thought how you had changed me, I am sorry that I kissed you thinking like a fool that I was the most important thing to you, so Alonzo, I am the one who is sorry." Julia was now on the verge of tears. "Julia,…." "Alonzo, please, just leave me alone." "C`mon Lonzo, Let's go," Danzinger pulled him away from her room watching how upset she was. Alonzo deserves this, he thought as he took the pilot to his own quarters. Alonzo went in. Danzinger left him alone there.

After waiting for a few minutes, he knocked on Julia's door. "Come in," "How are you Doc," It was a stupid question. "Fine", the answer was stupider, Julia's eyes were swollen, her face red, her normally bright eyes dull. "I came to tell you something," Not wasting time he told her every thing Alonzo had told him. When he looked at the doctor, her face was ashen. "This is what he wanted to tell you." He said. "Thanks, Danzinger," Julia replied, her tone stopped him from adding some more. He nodded his head in a You-are-welcome way, and walked out.
*This is some mess fly-boy has gotten into.* He mused.

A week had gone by and Alonzo was still sleeping alone. Julia had ceased all kinds of communications with him. According to Baines, when the two walked past each other at lunch or breakfast or dinner, Bess had to defrost everything all over again. Much to Devon`s regret, Julia had put up her walls again. No more sitting round the campfire or chatting in the common room, she went about her work so mechanically that Zero appeared more human than she did.

She had volunteered for a lot of scouts so that she could be away from camp as much as possible. That morning too, she was sitting in the rail waiting for Walman to join her. Inside the dome, Alonzo was on his hands and knees asking Devon to let him go instead of Walman. "Alonzo, I am not going to let you go alone with Julia. You know what she is going through, do you think that it will be appropriate. If you want to go out so much, Morgan will be leaving with Baines in the morning, I am sure he will swap duties with you." Devon said. "Please Devon, this is the only way that I can get her alone to talk to. You don`t want me going alone, fine. I`ll take Walman with us." He said flashing her a killer smile. " Ok Alonzo, but please, she has been through a lot please don`t let her go through it again" She said. Alonzo gave her a nod and said,"Thanks Devon and I won't. Walman I`ll be out in a sec."

"Let's go, Walman, what are you waiting for," Julia asked irritably, "Ah…' Walman did not know how to break this to her. As if on cue, Alonzo came out, " Hey Let's get going. Walman I drive." He said cheerfully. Julia who was seated on the seat next to the driver's said, "You sit here Walman, I`ll sit in the back." Walman gave Alonzo a smile and shrugged his shoulders. "Lovely day today, isn't it?" Alonzo chirped cheerfully. Julia ignored him completely. "Well, I guess it`s going to get hotter by the minute," Walman said looking at Julia, mischievously.

"Stop the rail Walman, I see some plants back there" Julia told Walman although Alonzo was driving. He halted the vehicle. "C'mon Julia, I said I`m sorry," Alonzo said. Walman thought it was a good time to check on the vegetation. "I`ll go check the plants Julia," He said getting of. Julia started to go after him but Alonzo grabbed her hand. "Please Julia, listen to me for only a second." She refused to look at him. He touched her cheek with his free hand and she flinched moving away. This time he did not stop her. "Julia, I am really sorry that I said those things to you. I was flirting with Mary because I knew that it would make you jealous. I lost it when I saw you in Danzinger`s arms." He said. She got of the rail, he followed. "Julia, look at me," He said almost pleadingly. She turned around and fixed him with an icy stare. "Alonzo, I don`t want to talk about it." With that she turned around and started to walk further. "Julia," he scurried after her " don't go so far." He ran and caught up with her. They had walked quite far from Walman but it was the last thing on Alonzo`s mind. "Julia," his words were caught in his mouth when the ground beneath them moved.

They fell in some kind of a hole. Alonzo landed on a mound of snow. "Julia, are you alright?' He asked her. She had fallen away from him, on some branches or some thing like them. "Why would you care Alonzo?" She said, tears in her eyes now, partly because of the scratch on her forehead and partly because of they way she felt. "Don`t say this Julia," he moved in closer. " Let me see this," He bought his hand closer to her head. She jerked it away. ‘ I`ll call Walman," she stood up. " No Julia, we are not leaving until we find a way to solve this mess." He pulled her down. "Now, be still."

He took out a handkerchief from his pocket and wiped her forehead. She stiffened at his touch. "Look up Julia," she did so obediently, It hurt him to see the circles beneath her eyes and tears on her cheeks. He brushed them away with his hands. "God, I miss you so much Julia," he whispered. "I am sorry for every stupid thing that I have said or done in the past week. Forgive me now." He said still holding her close. "It`s not that easy Alonzo, how can I trust you to be telling the truth, I don`t want you to play around with my feelings. Did you really think that I would cheat on you? If you did then you don`t know me as well as you claim to." She said between tears. "I gave you all the love that I had and this was the way I was repaid. Backstabber. You know how much it hurt Alonzo, do you. It cut right through my heart. How could you say this?"

She put her hands to her face. "How could you" she repeated now facing him fully. "Don`t cry, Julia, you know I hate it." He engulfed her in a hug and she put her head to his chest and sobbed. "It's alright Doc, everything is fine now." He put his chin on her head and kissed her hair. For a few moments they stood there. "Kiss and make up," he said raising her head. He kissed her, for a moment, he would have been kissing a wall, then she kissed him back. "I love you Doc, the next time I do something this stupid, kill me." He said looking at her face. "I don`t want a next time `Lonzo." She stood up on her toes for another kiss.

"Ahem, If you are done here, Devon wants us to come back. Something real important." Walman looked down at the couple. "Yep, the weather is fine now, a little rain and it`s as sunny as before." Julia blushed. Alonzo put a hand around her. "Pull us out, funny guy." He said.

When they were out of the hole, Walman asked Julia, "do you want to sit in the back again because…." Alonzo cut in. " Yes, she will sit in the back. So will I. you drive this time." Walman looked pain stricken but then smiled. Julia smiled back. "Welcome back Doc." he said.

Back at camp, every one was anxiously waiting for their return. They had been stalled for some time because the rail had heated up a bit and had to be stopped for about an hour before it could start again, but hey who was complaining. Julia was finally catching up on some sleep on Alonzo`s shoulder and who was he to complain. Walman was a little annoyed at the delay but watching the two lovebirds, his annoyance vanished away.

When they reached camp, it was getting darker but everyone was waiting outside for them. Watching them approach, Devon raced to them, "Uly has been dreaming with the terrians and guess what," she paused, " They have decided to keep Mary, they think that although she had done wrong, they would give her a second chance." She said these last words looking at Julia.

Julia smiled at her. Devon did a double take when she saw Alonzo drape an arm around her shoulder. "I presume every thing went fine," she said finally gaining her composure. "Did you discover any edible plants?" "Ah… No Devon, you see," Alonzo began luckily Devon's attention was diverted somewhere else, "what are these scratches Julia," she asked with concern, "Long story, Devon, long story." She replied with a grin.

Bess stepped up from behind now, " I see someone won't be sleeping alone tonight," she said with a twinkle in her eyes. Julia turned red. "C'mon Julia, do you really think that we have not noticed." Julia's blush deepened. "Bess, I was wondering about the other day, what were you and Morgan doing in the woods?" Alonzo came to her rescue, asking innocently. Bess gave him a dirty look but said nothing.

"C'mon guys, let's get you some dinner." Devon interrupted. Julia waited until every one he'd gone in except for Devon then turned to her. " Thanks Devon, for being here for me." And almost on impulse gave her a hug. "That's what friends are for, Julia." She said. "Oh, Uly also told me that Mary had asked him to tell you that she is not a danger for you. Uly said that he did not understand what she meant but apparently, Mary thought that you will." Julia nodded. "I do, Devon, I do."

In the morning, a smiling Alonzo waked Julia up. " Morning Doc," he said, his dimples deepening. "Sleep well," he asked. "The little time that I slept last night, yes I did sleep well." Julia said still a little sleepy. Alonzo bent over her until their faces met and gave her a kiss. "But the waking up was worth it," she added now fully awake. "Come on out, you have not eaten properly for the last week," He pulled her out of the cot they had shared in his tent.

When they walked in the common room, most of the people gave them large smiles. "Sleep well, Julia?" Danzinger asked her with a grin. "I would not say that," Morgan interrupted, "Our tent is right next to Lover boy's and even we couldn't sleep with the noise they were making."
Julia looked as if she wanted the ground to open and swallow her. To hide her embarrassment, she picked up her cup of coffee. "You know, guys," Baines came over, " You should turn of the luma light in your tent at night, I was at watch last night and it was like watching a shadow show" Julia nearly dropped her cup. "C'mon guys, don't you have something else to do other than this?" Devon said. Julia mouthed a silent I-OWE-YOU-ONE to her. Devon smiled back at her. Snickers still went around and so did the occasional knowing looks to Julia all day long.

Eden Advance was back to normal.

-The End-




This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.