THE AWAKENING DREAM
By
Barabara Satow & Cheryl Fedorcio


Timeline: Years later
Author's E-Mail: Barbara407@aol.com


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
Dear Readers,

I am not usually a writer of fan fiction, but after having such a great time in New Mexico, my friend Cheryl and I decided to try our hands at continuing the Earth 2 story ourselves. I've shared this with a few people online, and it was suggested to me that you all might enjoy it , but there are a few things that I thought I should explain before sharing it with you:

Our ultimate goal was to script a television movie to continue the Earth 2 story. What follows is not necessarily what we, as fans, wanted to happen on the show, but a logical way in which we thought a television network would do that same job. A television movie is exactly 94 minutes long and the rule of thumb is that one page of script equals one minute of screen time. Our script is 93 pages long, and I have to tell you that some great backstory, character interaction, and lines of dialogue had to be sacrificed to make that page count. As a writing exercise, it turned out to be more difficult than I thought it would be, and I've always been very comfortable writing in the television episode format.

Because we'd want our movie to attract new fans as well as satisfy the existing ones, pertinent information we felt a viewer would need to know is contained in the first six pages in a Devon-narrated teaser. (The teaser comes before Act 1 and its file includes a title page that has a lot of white space around it. ) If you find the first six pages boring, please feel free to jump ahead to page 7. This was *our* original starting point, but when we realized we were wasting valuable page space explaining backstory, we decided a teaser re-cap of Earth 2 made a whole lot more sense, and was in keeping with the format the series used to remind viewers of previous episodes before each show.

A MAJOR WARNING: if you are an Alonzo Solace fan, this may not be the story for you. Because Antonio Sabato, Jr. seems to be going on to bigger and better things all the time, and because our dear friend Gina Todd wanted us to be sure to add some Walman/Julia moments (our only fannish concession --- what can I say, we love Gina too much to disappoint her... :) ), we made the drastic decision to make Alonzo's part a guest starring role. He *is* in the story, but you may not like what we've done. We're expecting that, and all we can say is... sorry. No letter bombs, please. :)

I'm not subscribed to the E2-fanfic list, so if you have comments to share, please direct them to me at Barbara407@aol.com. We had so much fun writing this, that we're planning a few "episode" scripts that would follow this storyline. If you would like them inflicted upon you, please, let me know.

Thank you for your patience. Without further ado, here is Earth 2: The Awakening Dream presented in 8 Acts.

Barbara Satow (and Cheryl Fedorcio)
aka Barbara407@aol.com


This document was at conversion little messed up, because of form it was written in. So I preformated all text, so that I hadn't had to make that many modifications. Maybe I'll reformat this document sometime.

Andy



This is the cover page, keep scrolling down......)

EARTH 2

"The Awakening Dream"

by

Barbara Satow and Cheryl Fedorcio

Contact: Barbara407@aol.com

TEASER

FADE IN:

INSERT CLIP

"First Contact" -- DEVON ADAIR looking out the window of the Eden Advance ship, getting her first glance at planet G889. DEVON (V.O.) I came to planet G889 with one dream -- to save the life of my son, Ulysses.

INSERT CLIP

"First Contact" -- ULY ADAIR walking through Eden Advance ship in his immunosuit. DEVON (CONT'D) He was born with the Syndrome; a sickness resulting from generations of humankind living in the unnatural environment of the space stations.

INSERT CLIP

"First Contact" -- The Eden Project's launch from the space station. DEVON (V.O.) Two hundred forty eight other Syndrome families shared my dream to save the lives of their children.

INSERT CLIP

"First Contact" -- Devon and JULIA HELLER putting Uly to bed in a Cold Sleep chamber. DEVON (V.O.) I funded the Eden Project... And came ahead on an advance ship to set up a colony on the new planet in time for their arrival two years later.

INSERT CLIP

"First Contact" -- DANZIGER pulls bomb from behind monitor. DEVON (V.O.) The Council tried to stop our launch.

INSERT CLIP

"First Contact" -- Bomb exploding outside of ship.

2.

INSERT CLIP

"First Contact" -- Julia waking from Cold Sleep. DEVON (V.O.) And when Eden Advance arrived at the planet after 22 years in Cold Sleep...

INSERT CLIP

"First Contact" -- Colonists in Escape pod, followed by launch of escape pod and burning of ship in atmosphere. DEVON (V.O.) An act of Council sabotage forced our ship to crash thousands of miles from the New Pacifica landing site.

INSERT CLIP

"Man Who Fell to Earth" -- Dream Sequence of Penal Colonists on planet. DEVON (V.O.) On the planet, we discovered the reason for the Council's concern. They'd come to the same conclusion -- humankind could not survive on the stations much longer. They'd been testing the planet's habitability with penal colonies...

INSERT CLIP

"Better Living through Morganite" -- Scared scientists of Yale's memory. DEVON (V.O.) ...and experiments conducted by exiled radical scientists.

INSERT CLIP

"First Contact" -- Terrians appearance on hill at night. DEVON (V.O.) They'd been thwarted from achieving control by the native life forms of the planet -- The Terrians.

INSERT CLIP

"Promises, Promises" -- Terrians tilling soil for Gaal. (CONTINUED) 3. DEVON (V.O.) The Terrians' well-being is so entwined with the environment of this world, that controlling them became paramount to the Council's plans for resettlement.

INSERT CLIP

"First Contact" -- Devon watches Uly run toward her in field. DEVON (V.O.) The Terrians healed my son.

INSERT CLIP

"Moon Cross" -- Uly steps out of mist and trills at Terrians. DEVON (V.O.) Gratitude was soon overwhelmed by the fear that Uly's well-being was as tied to the Terrians as theirs was to the planet.

INSERT CLIP

"Church of Morgan" -- Julia meets with Reilly in VR. DEVON (V.O.) A secret Council presence in orbit above us decided Uly was the key to human survival here...

INSERT CLIP

"Church of Morgan" -- Julia sedating Uly. DEVON (V.O.) ...and tried to gain control of the Terrians through him.

INSERT CLIP

"Church of Morgan" Julia seeing Terrian at Uly's operation. DEVON (V.O.) But their operative among us, our doctor, Julia Heller, had a change of heart.

INSERT CLIP

"Redemption" -- Julia confronting Reilly in VR with others, followed by Julia tossing away her communications device. (CONTINUED) 4. DEVON (V.O.) She severed her Council ties on our behalf.

INSERT CLIP

"Man Who Fell To Earth" -- Eden Advance convoy. DEVON (V.O.) We could have hidden in the blackout zones, but the other Syndrome families were coming.

INSERT CLIP

"First Contact" -- Eden Advance votes to cross continent. DEVON (V.O.) We decided, as a group, to cross the continent -- to ready New Pacifica for those who followed us.

INSERT CLIP

"Natural Born Grendlers" -- Devon's unsuccessful first contact with a Grendler. DEVON (V.O.) Every day it became clear that we were the aliens on our new world.

INSERT CLIP

"First Contact" -- O'Neil shot by Koba. DEVON (V.O.) Our survival depended on learning its ways... its rules.

INSERT CLIP

"All About Eve" -- burying Eben. DEVON (V.O.) We weren't always successful.

INSERT CLIP

"All About Eve" -- Bennett talking to Eve/Reilly. DEVON (V.O.) An orbiting Council computer known as Eve malfunctioned. 5.

INSERT CLIP

"All About Eve" -- Elizabeth showing Julia biostat chip. DEVON (V.O.) It was affecting the biostat chips we learned the Council had secretly implanted in us to monitor our life signs and activity.

INSERT CLIP

"All About Eve" -- BESS collapsing at fireside. DEVON (V.O.) The survival of our group -- of all humans on the planet -- was in jeopardy.

INSERT CLIP

"All About Eve" -- YALE interfacing with Eve. DEVON (V.O.) Through a link with Yale, my son's cyborg tutor, we were able to repair Eve and save ourselves.

INSERT CLIP

"All About Eve" -- Sick Devon watching Danziger and Uly. DEVON (V.O.) Well, almost... Somehow, I had eluded the implantation of a biostat chip. And while the others recovered from the strange sickness that had been killing us...

INSERT CLIP

"All About Eve" -- Devon collapsing by tent with Danziger finding her. DEVON (V.O.) ... I did not.

INSERT CLIP

"All About Eve" AND INCLUDE AUDIO -- Devon asking Danziger to take care of Uly and lead the group. (CONTINUED) 6. DEVON You've got to promise me, that no matter what happens, if I don't make it with the rest of you, you... you've got to keep everyone together, and you've got to look after my kid. (beat) Promise me, John... DANZIGER (long beat) Okay...

INSERT CLIP

"All About Eve" -- Group placing Devon in the Cold Sleep Chamber. DEVON (V.O.) To prolong my life, they placed me in a Cold Sleep chamber. My dreams for Uly and New Pacifica would have to go on without me... FADE TO BLACK: DEVON (V.O.) (CONT'D) Or so I thought... END OF TEASER


Part 1

7.

ACT ONE

INSERT TITLE SEQUENCE OVER BLACK SCREEN

SLOW FADE IN:

The Darkness of a dream. A flash of color. A BIT OF SOUND. The, as in waking, all crystallizes into blurred reality.

INT. BENNETT'S SHIP -- DAY

In and out of focus. DR. EMIL VASQUEZ monitors a computer terminal, while JULIA HELLER leans over an examination table, sedaderm in hand, intent on the readouts of her diaglove. VASQUEZ Sine waves on the rise. BAINES (O.S.) Julia, how much longer... JULIA She's almost there. Come on, Devon. Come on.

CLOSE ON DEVON

She lays on the examination table beside an open Cold Sleep chamber. She's still dressed in the robe, but her hair is longer by three years' growth. Her eyelids flutter open.

JULIA -- DEVON'S POV

Julia compares readouts off her diaglove to a nearby monitor. Devon reaches out and touches Julia's arm. DEVON Julia...

Julia smiles, overjoyed. JULIA Yes, Devon. It's me.

Devon slowly recognizes the vintage Earth ship where she's been entombed since Season One. Her gaze passes BAINES hovering on the threshold of the room, then falls on Vasquez, a fiftiesh man of Latin American descent. VASQUEZ Devon Adair, you broke your promise. DEVON Dr. Vasquez!? How... (CONTINUED) 8.

She takes a good look at Julia. There are changes. Better clothes, a new hairstyle. Baines steps closer. A visible scar -- an old scar -- mars one cheek. Devon sits up. DEVON (CONT'D) How long have I...? JULIA Three years. VASQUEZ As I said, you broke your promise... (quotes) "When the colony ship arrives, I'll be there to greet them with open arms." DEVON (to Julia) You made it to New Pacifica.

Julia nods. Devon grips her hands, overwhelmed. DEVON (CONT'D) Uly... Is Uly all right? JULIA Uly's fine. You'll see him today. As soon as we're sure you're all right. BAINES (impatient) Julia.... the transport....

Julia motions him silent. Vasquez hands Julia a derm capsule. She puts it in the sedaderm and injects it into Devon's neck. Vasquez watches the monitor and nods, pleased. JULIA We've altered your RNA to orient your cellular structure to this world. It's a change we all went through naturally. The biostat chips kept us from having the reaction you did. BAINES Can we table the explanations until we're airborne? VASQUEZ I think it's safe to move her...

They help Devon off the table. She takes a few tentative steps with Julia and Vasquez's help. She notes Uly's staff standing vigil on the wall and lifts it down. Her fingernails are so long they curl under. (CONTINUED) 9. JULIA You were in modified Cold Sleep. Life support to maintain health and nothing else... after what happened to Elizabeth and Bennett... BAINES We're gonna be in so much trouble. JULIA Come on, Devon. Let's go.

Clutching the staff, Devon lets them lead her off the ship.

INT. TRANSPORT -- DAY

The craft has seating for about a dozen. Cloudy skies breeze past its observation windows. Baines sits in the partially obscured cockpit. Julia and Vasquez compare notes on a portable terminal. Devon exits a cubicle in the rear, freshly groomed, in clothes that are a little too loose for her. She sits down across from Julia. DEVON What's going on, Julia? Baines is almost... frightened. JULIA No one knows we came out for you. Although we isolated the cause of your collapse pretty quickly, the treatment was... untested.

Devon REACTS. JULIA (CONT'D) The Advancers didn't want me to risk it. DEVON Advancers... you mean Eden Advance? JULIA Those that are left... DEVON (with dread) Oh, my god... Danziger... VASQUEZ Mr. Danziger's here, there, and everywhere, Devon. A remarkable man. DEVON Yale? (CONTINUED) 10. JULIA (hiding something) Yale's there, too. DEVON Alonzo...

Julia drops her head, her grief evident. Devon leans forward and takes her hand. JULIA He stayed for me... And now, he's dead. DEVON I'm so sorry... JULIA I still have dreams about him...

Julia turns toward the window to hide ready tears. Devon turns to Vasquez for an explanation. He shakes his head. DEVON (rallying) Well, I'm sure if they had the chance, the Martins went back to the stations. BAINES (over his shoulder) Wanna bet on that? VASQUEZ Morgan Martin is part of our problem. DEVON (beat) What has he done now?

Julia brushes her tears away and shakes her head. JULIA It's complicated... VASQUEZ No, it isn't. (to Devon) A thousand people can't function without defined leadership. In ten days, the colonists of New Pacifica will vote on who that leader will be. But those of us committed to working with the Terrians and the Grendlers are the minority. (CONTINUED) 11. DEVON Working with the Terrians is a necessity, not an option. JULIA Tell that to Vladimir Sinclair. VASQUEZ Our Colony co-ordinator. In an election held tomorrow, he'd win hands down. JULIA In ten days, he'll win hands down. Only Danziger could beat him. VASQUEZ Unfortunately, when pressed, Mr. Danziger not only declined the nomination, but publicly endorsed Morgan Martin as a candidate instead.

Devon envisions her colony run by Morgan. She puts a trembling hand on her forehead. DEVON This is all... too much. Can we forget this until after we land? VASQUEZ I'm afraid not. New Pacifica didn't start out as a democracy. It's your colony. Bought and paid for by you. JULIA We revived you so you can take control.

Baines comes out of the cockpit area, and stretches. BAINES We'll be in range in twenty minutes. (beat) Are you okay, Devon? DEVON Fine.

She gestures down her cheek. DEVON (CONT'D) How...?

Baines touches his forgotten scar, surprised. (CONTINUED) 12. BAINES Knife fight with some penal colonists while we were still on the road. (looks out window) This trip goes so fast now, it's hard to believe the months it took us to walk across country. DEVON You'll have to tell me about it sometime.

He nods and returns to the cockpit. Devon contemplates all she's missed, and what they expect of her. She glances at Vasquez and Julia, uncertain whether to voice her doubts. She grips Uly's staff to calm her nerves; whatever else, she can look forward to reuniting with her son.

ESTABLISHING SHOT: NEW PACIFICA -- DAY

An odd mix of jungle hut architecture and pre-fabricated structures, situated in the lush valley of some coastal hills. Almost everything is one story, clustered around the Colony Center, a two-story facility topped with an observation window -- pieced together from Colony Ship parts. The transport flies into view and sets down behind the Center.

INT. HANGAR -- DAY

Baines sets the hovering Transport down in line with the colony's other assorted vehicles. Techs servicing equipment watch curiously as Devon, Baines, Julia, and Vasquez disembark. Julia guides Devon toward the hangar door as Vasquez unpacks equipment. BESS MARTIN advances through the hangar at an angry trot, trailed by MAGUS. BESS Baines, where the hell have you been?! You didn't sign that transport out. Sinclair's been on my case since dawn...

Devon steps forward. Bess and Magus stare at her. MAGUS Devon? DEVON Magus... Bess. BESS Oh, my god. (embraces Devon/ to Julia) John's going to kill you. (CONTINUED) 13.

VLADIMIR SINCLAIR, 40, dark, mesmerizing, dangerous in a beguiling way pads through the hangar door, followed by his aide BENNY. There's more threat in his calm demeanor than in Bess's fury. Devon studies Sinclair as he approaches. SINCLAIR Mr. Baines, your piloting privileges are revoked.

Julia pushes Baines toward the exit. She gets into Sinclair's face to cover his departure. JULIA I asked him to take me out, Sinclair. SINCLAIR On whose authority? DEVON As a doctor, Julia should have that authority herself to effectively administer aid in the field.

Sinclair registers Devon with poker-faced recognition. SINCLAIR Devon Adair.

Benny and the surrounding Techs react. VASQUEZ Devon this is... DEVON Vladimir Sinclair. (holds out her hand) I remember you. You attended most of the Council hearings regarding Eden Project. You have a son with the Syndrome. About Uly's age? SINCLAIR Yes. Maximillian. DEVON How is he? SINCLAIR Better than some, not as well as others. The environment seems to ease the Syndrome's symptoms, though it's not a cure in itself.

A LITTLE GIRL TORI, 4, in minimal immuno gear, peers around the hangar door. Julia notices her slip into the room. (CONTINUED) 14. JULIA Bess...

Bess turns, and throws up her hands. BESS Tori, you're supposed to be sleeping... TORI I love you, Mommy.

Devon reacts as Bess laughs and collects the child. DEVON Mommy...? She looks older than three. MAGUS 13 children and four adults on the Colony ship didn't wake up from Cold Sleep. Tori's mother was one of them. SINCLAIR The Martins adopted her. (beat) I suppose you'd like to see your own child, Ms. Adair. DEVON Devon, please. SINCLAIR Devon. (he checks his watch) School should be just about over.

He takes a Gear from his pocket and slips it over his head. SINCLAIR (CONT'D) Danziger? Are you on? (annoyed beat) Danziger!

Devon smiles. Some things haven't changed. SINCLAIR (CONT'D) Magus? MAGUS He's supervising construction at the South site. BESS I can take you there, Devon. (CONTINUED) 15. TORI Me, too.

Bess rolls her eyes and nods. DEVON Thanks, Bess. It'll give us a chance to catch up. (smiles at Tori) I seem to have missed a few things. SINCLAIR Perhaps you'll let me show you around the Colony Center, later. DEVON Thank you. I'd like to see how my plans are working out.

Sinclair nods, his features impassive. Devon and Bess walk toward the hangar door with Tori between them. Sinclair keeps nervous Benny in check as they follow them out. Julia and Vasquez share a triumphant look.

EXT. SOUTH SITE -- AFTERNOON

Bess leads Devon through small, cultivated plots and houses in various states of completion. Devon looks around her with interest, hardly believing this is New Pacifica -- her dream come true. A LOUD BOOMING VOICE claims her attention. DANZIGER (O.S.) Where the hell do you think you're going?!

JOHN DANZIGER shouts at two WORKERS walking toward a grove of trees with a saw. Though sweat-soaked from a day's work outdoors, he's cleaner cut than when last Devon saw him. She smiles with fond memory as he advances on the hapless pair with a scowl on his face. WORKER 1 We need more wood. DANZIGER Then go back to the North site and get it. That grove's off limits. WORKER 2 But...

Danziger glares. The Workers step back from him and grumble as they set out for the North site. (CONTINUED) 16. TRUE (O.S.) Hey, Dad!

Devon gasps as TRUE DANZIGER approaches her father swinging a portable school console by its strap. Her tomboyishness has faded into something confidently feminine. She's flanked by 15 year-old TODD CLAYTON, and Devon's son, ULY ADAIR.

Uly surveys the fields with a regal abstraction. Devon watches, too overwhelmed to move, as True takes him by the shoulder and guides him up to Danziger. Danziger ruffles Uly's hair; an automatic gesture. DANZIGER Hey, kids... Got much homework? TRUE Not much... so Todd was wondering... DANZIGER Oh, Todd was wondering.... TODD We want to go to the beach, if it's okay with you, Mr. Danziger. DANZIGER Normally it would be, Todd. But Uly has a prior engagement cleaning at the harvest center. ULY Dad!

Devon reacts, startled. Dad? DANZIGER You promised Cassie, Uly. And... ULY (sighs, recites) And a man's only as good as his word.

Danziger pulls him into a rough embrace. DANZIGER That's my boy. Why don't you run home first and...

Danziger looks up, and SEES DEVON. He's dumbstruck. True picks up on his sudden stillness. TRUE Dad? (CONTINUED) 17.

She turns and stares as well. Todd frowns at Devon. TODD Who is that?

Uly SEES HIS MOTHER. ULY (whispers) Mom...?

Uly slips out of Danziger's hands. He walks toward Devon; she advances also, her face streaked with tears. Their pace quickens with each step closer to each other. True crowds Danziger as she watches; he puts his arm around her. Bess smiles in anticipation. Devon opens her arms and Uly falls into them. She rains his face with kisses. ULY (CONT'D) Mom... it's really you.... DEVON Uly... let me look at you...

She pulls back, registers the changes, then embraces him tightly. He hugs her back at first. But the moment goes on too long for a 12 year-old's comfort. Eventually, he squirms away from her.

ON DANZIGER AND TRUE TRUE Dad, how...

Danziger shakes his head, displeased. They join Bess. TORI True! That's Uly's mother... BESS Isn't wonderful, John? DANZIGER (flat) Miraculous.

WALMAN, grinning, runs to them from the far side of the field. WALMAN Danziger, you changed your mind?!

Danziger narrows his eyes at Walman. Walman's smile fades. (CONTINUED) 18. BESS (to Walman) Baines, Julia and Vasquez commandeered a transport this morning to get her.

Danziger curses under his breath and starts walking back toward the colony center. TRUE Dad, where are you going? DANZIGER To kill Julia... WALMAN (alarmed) Danziger...

Devon brushes tears from her face and stands. DEVON Hold on a second... Dad.

Danziger and True exchange an uh-oh look before turning. Devon walks toward them, with Uly in tow. DANZIGER Look, Devon... it just seemed easier...

Devon compresses her lips. She slowly smiles and then throws her arms around him, nearly knocking him off balance. Danziger holds her close; there's a part of him that's overjoyed. But the reasons he didn't want her revived yet quickly cloud the joy away. He meets Bess's eye over Devon's shoulder, and plucks the sleeve of his shirt behind Devon's back. Walman registers the gesture. Bess nods, takes Tori's hand, and heads back toward the colony.

Devon releases Danziger. His smile is not as bright as she expected. She draws away self-consciously. DEVON So... DANZIGER So... DEVON Hello, Walman. WALMAN Devon, it's great to see you again. (CONTINUED) 19. DEVON Thanks. And True... my goodness, I hardly recognized you at first. TRUE Hello, Devon.

An awkward beat. DANZIGER (to Uly) You're mom's probably tired after her long trip. What do you say we take her home? ULY Okay. Come on, Mom.

Uly walks away, not waiting for anyone. True says a quick farewell to Todd. Devon waits for Danziger to fall into step beside her. He motions Devon forward. She frowns at his less than inviting manner, and follows Uly home. Walman waits until she's out of earshot to speak. WALMAN When...? DANZIGER An hour. WALMAN Danziger...

Danziger stops his words with a look. Walman walks back toward the colony. Danziger watches Devon's retreat with the children. Eyes troubled, he falls into step behind them.

END OF ACT ONE


Part 2

ACT TWO

INT. DANZIGER HOME -- CENTRAL ROOM -- LATER

It's environmentally friendly adobe and stone, with curved entrances to all the rooms instead of actual doors. The central room is compact yet uncluttered, an efficient use of space learned on the stations. Its main fixtures are a galley kitchen and a table for living around. Two small bedrooms on the left house the Danzigers and there are two rooms on the right for the Adairs. Devon sits at the table, feeling like a guest, as True, Danziger, and Uly set out cups and a pitcher for afternoon refreshment. DANZIGER We'll have to requisition another food allotment. TRUE What about clothing, Dad? All of Devon's old stuff is pretty beat. ULY Here, Mom.

He places a small slice of cake in front of her. Devon takes an obligatory bite. DEVON It's good. TRUE Mrs. Clayton made it. DANZIGER (uncomfortable) True, why don't you pour Devon some juice?

True puts a cup in front of Devon and fills it. DEVON Thank you, True.

Devon sips at the juice, dazed by their formality. DEVON (CONT'D) (fumbling) So... What's new? ULY Gosh, Mom we have so much to tell you, don't we, True? (CONTINUED) 21. TRUE I wouldn't even know where to start. DANZIGER Me, either. DEVON Start anywhere. Julia told me about Alonzo's death, but she didn't go into the details. Did it happen on the way here? TRUE No. It was only nine months ago. The first night Uly...

She stops; looks to Danziger for guidance. Uly also looks at Danziger, his gaze pleading. With unspoken accord, they decide it's not time yet. DANZIGER (covering) It's a long and painful story that's best left for another day. I have an appointment, and I want to get supper going first. And the kids should be doing their schoolwork. ULY Dad's right.

Devon flinches uncomfortably. Danziger frowns. DANZIGER Maybe, we should drop... CASSIE (O.S.) Knock, knock...

CASSIE CLAYTON steps into the house from the curve of the outer door, followed by Todd, and seven year old JOSEPH, full immunosuit. Cassie is seductively wholesome. The Claytons set dishes of food on the table before Devon. CASSIE (CONT'D) (smiles warmly at Devon) I heard you got a new addition to your family today, and thought I'd spare her your cooking. DANZIGER (laughs) Devon, this is Cassie Clayton, and her sons, Todd and Joseph. (CONTINUED) 22.

Cassie holds out her hand to Devon. CASSIE Hi. Welcome to your colony. DEVON Thanks.

Danziger steps up behind Cassie, and sniffs over her shoulder. DANZIGER What have we got here?

He playfully dips a finger in the dish. Cassie bats the back of his hand. CASSIE Stop that.

A warm smile passes between them. Devon watches this byplay and stiffens. TRUE Should I set the table, Dad? DANZIGER Pull out the fine china, True Girl. Service for seven? CASSIE We don't want to intrude on Devon's first night home. DANZIGER (to Devon) Do you mind the company? DEVON (lies) Not at all... but... Shouldn't we wait for Yale?

A Long Silence ensues. CASSIE We really can't stay. It was nice to meet you, Devon. Come on, boys.

Cassie shuffles the boys out the door. Devon stares at Danziger, waiting for an answer. DANZIGER Yale doesn't live here. (CONTINUED) 23. DEVON But... Uly lives here. DANZIGER Uly lives here. DEVON And the other room there... ULY That's your room, Mom. TRUE We fixed it up for you a long time ago. All your things are there...

Danziger shakes his head at True. She quiets obediently. DEVON You have room for me, but you don't have room for Yale? DANZIGER It's not a question of room, or a question of wanting him... it's a question of trust. DEVON Trust!? I'd trust Yale with my life... with my son's life. DANZIGER Not anymore you wouldn't. DEVON What's that supposed to mean? TRUE Dad... why don't Uly and I take Devon to see Yale? It'd give you a chance to clean up and... stuff. DANZIGER That's a good idea, True Girl.

He stores the dishes of food in the kitchen. Devon continues to glare at him as True prods her into standing. TRUE Come on, Devon... I'll explain it to you on the way over.

Devon leaves with the children. Danziger wipes his hands on a towel and exits immediately after them.

24.

EXT. COLONY STREET -- AFTERNOON

Devon walks down the road, with True. Uly trails them, his abstract attention drawn to everything and nothing. TRUE Yale lives on the other side of the colony... DEVON Alone?

A Syndrome Family nods to Devon and True in passing. TRUE Cameron lives with him, though he probably won't be there now. DEVON When did the separation..? TRUE We were still on the road when we found out...

As the Family approaches Uly, their steps slow, and the Father draws his Child into a protective embrace. Uly ignores them as they give him a wide berth in passing. True frowns. TRUE (CONT'D) Come on, Uly.

Uly starts as if wakened from a dream. He skips up next to True. She puts her arm around his shoulder, reassuring. DEVON (missed it all) Found out what, True? ULY Yale's still linked to Eve.

Devon stops in her tracks, horrified. True nods corroboration.

INT. YALE'S HOUSE

It's a small dwelling; the main room is crammed to capacity with scientific equipment, and plant samples. True, Uly and Devon enter, nearly colliding with CAMERON, who's rushing out the door. DEVON Cameron...

Cameron LAUGHS and gives Devon a bear hug. (CONTINUED) 25. DEVON (CONT'D) How are you?

Cameron opens his mouth to speak but... YALE He's in a hurry, Devon. You'll have plenty of time to catch up later.

Cameron ducks out the door, dismissed. Devon crosses the room, eyeing YALE warily. He finishes an entry on his computer console before turning his gaze on her. They look at each other a long moment. Yale opens his arms. Devon smiles in relief as she embraces him. YALE (CONT'D) Devon... how much we've missed you. Haven't we, children?

True sits Uly down at Yale's table, placing herself between Yale and Uly. Yale nods Devon to a seat beside him. DEVON True says...

Yale holds up his hand, his gaze intent, as if he were talking around an unseen presence in the room. YALE Do you like my laboratory? I'm studying the environmental effects of the plant life we've introduced to G889. Since Alonzo's death, we've had no way to communicate with the Terrians. We have no idea what effect, if any, our crops have on the planet. DEVON (lost) It sounds... helpful. YALE I hope so. You've lost some weight. DEVON Have I? Yale, there's so much I want to know about the years I've missed. I thought maybe you... YALE I can't, Devon. DEVON But... (CONTINUED) 26.

Yale suddenly stiffens. He opens his cybernetic hand and a HOLOGRAPHIC IMAGE OF EVE APPEARS ABOVE IT. EVE The memory of this unit has been sealed to casual access. Violation of security protocols will result in a wipe of all sectors. Welcome to New Pacifica, Devon. Have a nice day.

The image disappears. DEVON Eve, wait! YALE It's too late. She's broken contact. DEVON (she takes his hand) Yale, I'm sorry. If I'd known... YALE There was no other way. And as long as nothing conflicts with Eve's programming, she leaves us in peace. Right, children? TRUE Yes. YALE How do you like the colony?

Devon ducks her head, her eyes tearing as she answers his banal questions, with equally bland answers. DEVON It's fine.

EXT. GARAGE -- LATE AFTERNOON

Cameron walks along the outskirts of the colony, behind Danziger's house, where a tent composed of the remains of all the Eden Advance tents lists badly. Cameron takes a quick look around before ducking inside.

INT. GARAGE

The tent holds the TransRover, the DuneRail, and the ATV, all beat to hell and in states of deconstruction. Tools and scrap parts from other Colony equipment are carefully sorted around the space. The Advancers Baines, Denner, Magus, Bess, and Walman are focused on Danziger and Julia, shouting at each other in the center of the room. (CONTINUED) 27.

Baines has his arms around Denner, who is extremely pregnant. Cameron places himself next to them. BAINES (whispers) Just in time for the fireworks. Did you get to see Devon?

Cameron nods. DANZIGER ... I can't believe you totally ignored the wishes of the group... JULIA Your wishes, you mean. You were the holdout, Danziger. Even Walman and Cameron voted for revival until you bullied them into changing their minds.

Danziger trades looks with Walman and Cameron. MAGUS Why isn't Devon here? DANZIGER For crying out loud! She's been out of Cold Sleep for a few hours and you want to throw her into the middle of things already? (beat) God, Julia, what were you thinking? JULIA I was thinking someone has to stop Sinclair. You weren't doing anything. DANZIGER And you think Devon can? She doesn't know the first thing about these people... hell, she doesn't know the first thing about people she used to be close to... Yale... Uly... BESS And you, Danziger? MAGUS You used to fight harder than any of us. DANZIGER And what good did it do?. (MORE) (CONTINUED) 28. DANZIGER (CONT'D) (long beat) We can't beat Sinclair, Julia. Not me, not you, and most definitely not Devon. This wasn't worth the risk.

He storms out of the tent. Walman gives Julia a comforting pat on the back as the Advancers ponder Danziger's words.

INT. COLONY CENTER OBSERVATION ROOM -- EVENING

Two Sentries monitor the camp through opposite windows. Sinclair looks over reports at a central desk -- a spider waiting in his web. A Gear on the desk blips. With a quick glance to make sure the Sentries are otherwise occupied, Sinclair dons the Gear and activates it. SINCLAIR How was your meeting? (gets interesting unheard answer) Is that so?... Devon Adair worries me, personally. We may have to do something about her... Let's meet later and talk it over. All right?

He powers off the Gear and smiles to himself, before returning to his paperwork.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO


Part 3

ACT THREE

INT. DANZIGER HOME -- NIGHT

Devon sits apart as Danziger washes dishes in the kitchen and the children do schoolwork at the table. Uly can't concentrate. Watchful True CLEARS HER THROAT and points to his console. Uly works diligently for a beat before his attention wanders again. True and Danziger exchange a concerned look; Devon catches it. Devon slides closer to Uly and looks over his shoulder. DEVON What are you working on, honey? ULY Algebra. DEVON Algebra!? (wryly to herself) It seems like only yesterday you were learning your multiplication tables.

Danziger smiles. Devon absently strokes Uly's hair. He dodges her touch. She tries to control herself; to understand he's too old to be petted. But she's so happy to be near him. She leans lightly on his shoulder. ULY (exasperated) Mom....

He looks toward Danziger in mute appeal. The betrayal in this gesture wounds Devon. She stands abruptly. DANZIGER (to smooth things over) Have you looked at your room yet, Devon? Your plan for New Pacifica hangs over the desk. We had to improvise a little, but the layout's pretty much the same. Why don't you go get it, Uly? ULY Sure, Da... Mr. Danziger... DEVON Actually, I think... (deep breath) You've taken good care of Uly, John, and, believe me, I'm very grateful. But now that I'm... here, I think Uly and I should go live with Yale. (CONTINUED) 30. ULY (aghast) No... DANZIGER You can't live with Yale, Devon. DEVON He's my family. DANZIGER That's beside the point... DEVON It's not 'beside the point.' It's the only point. Yale needs us. DANZIGER Did he say that? DEVON No... but it's obvious, all he's been through... alone... DANZIGER His link to Eve makes him a danger to the group. DEVON Yale says as long as nothing conflicts with Eve's programming... DANZIGER And do you know what Eve's programming consists of, Devon? Have you bothered to find out what the risks would be to you or to Uly?

Devon glares at Danziger. He glares back. MORGAN MARTIN enters the house, groomed as the polished government official once more. He's followed by Bess and Tori. MORGAN Well, well, well... isn't this just like old times? Devon, welcome back to the land of the living.

He offers his hand to her for a tepid shake. DEVON Morgan... (looks him over) It does seem like old times, at that.

Morgan makes negligible eye contact with Danziger. (CONTINUED) 31. MORGAN Danziger. DANZIGER (hard) Martin.

Morgan nods; this greeting dictates how he should proceed. MORGAN I've come to invite you to a Council meeting tomorrow, Devon. DEVON Council? MORGAN The provisional Council you set up to run the colony in its early stages. DANZIGER As outlined in your plans for New Pacifica. DEVON Oh. Just who's on this Council? MORGAN Sinclair, Vasquez, myself, the school teacher Mrs. Graham, you -- in absentia, of course. And there's a place for the Colonial governor -- we'll be voting on that post in about a week, in case you weren't aware... DEVON (to Danziger) You're not a part of this... MORGAN (condescending) Devon... Danziger wasn't supposed to land on this planet. How can he be part of the administration when he's not even an official Colony member?

Danziger's expression says, "Argue with that, Devon." DEVON (after a beat) Where and when is the meeting? MORGAN The Colony Center. Four o'clock NPT. (CONTINUED) 32. DANZIGER (translating) New Pacifica Time. I'll get you a chronometer. Anything else, Martin? MORGAN Not really, just to say again how happy I am to see you up and about, Devon, and I hope I can count on your vote in the upcoming election. Danziger's going to vote for me. DANZIGER I didn't say that. MORGAN You endorsed my candidacy. DANZIGER I said, "if they want to run things here the station way, there's only one real... politician on this planet."

Morgan nods as if complimented. Baines and Denner come into the house. Both REACT TO MORGAN with unconcealed hostility. BAINES Sorry, we didn't know you had company... DEVON Denner?! Come in and sit down. BAINES Another time.

He and Denner exit as quickly as they entered. Bess looks upset, but Morgan takes it all in stride. MORGAN Well, my family and I have to get back on the campaign trail. TORI Daddy... Will we have to walk much farther? MORGAN (genuinely concerned) Are you tired, pumpkin? TORI A little bit. (CONTINUED) 33. BESS Honey, why didn't you say something? TORI I want to help Daddy.

Morgan picks her up and holds her close. MORGAN Sweetie, you help Daddy just by being his little ray of sunshine. TORI (lolling in his arms) Do I really?

Tori faints. BESS (hysterical) Oh, my god. Morgan, I didn't bring the respirator. MORGAN (very calm) Don't panic, Bess. It's only a syncope episode. I think.

He inverts Tori over his arm to force blood to her brain. DEVON Uly, True, help me clear the table.

They pull their school paraphernalia off the table. Morgan lays Tori out on it. Danziger taps True on the shoulder. DANZIGER Run for Julia.

True nods and scampers out the door. Morgan and Devon gently rub Tori's hands and wrists. MORGAN Come on, baby. Wake up now. BESS (hooks on to Uly's arm) Why don't you do something?!

Danziger separates them, holding Uly protectively. Devon places her thumb over a valve on Tori's immuno equipment. (CONTINUED) 34. DEVON Sometimes you can trick stimulation of the adrenal by adjusting the C-O 2 levels.

Tori stirs. MORGAN You're right. She's coming out of it. TORI Daddy... MORGAN You're okay, Sweetie. But you gave Mommy quite a scare. TORI Mommy... BESS I'm here, Tori. I'm right here. Daddy and I are going to take you home now.

Morgan scoops Tori up in his arms. MORGAN Yes, we are. Devon, thanks for your help. I'll see you tomorrow? DEVON (amazed at his poise) Yes. DANZIGER I'll send Julia your way.

Morgan nods. The Martins exit the house. Devon covers her face with her hands. She's shaking violently. DANZIGER (CONT'D) Devon? DEVON I forgot how frightening that could be. Poor Bess. I know exactly how she feels right now. DANZIGER Look, you're whipped. Why don't you go in the other room and lie down? We can sort this Yale business out tomorrow. Deal? (CONTINUED) 35. DEVON (slow smile) Deal.

She gives Uly a hug and a kiss, and walks into her room. After she's gone a beat, Uly sinks down on the bench beside the table, burying his face in his arm. Danziger sits down beside him and pats his back. DANZIGER (whispers so Devon can't hear him) Shhh. It's gonna be okay.

INT. DEVON'S ROOM -- NIGHT

Devon looks around the room, surprised; its ready and waiting for her habitation. Her plan for New Pacifica hangs, as stated, over a well-stocked desk. Devon opens a chest at the foot of the bed. It contains her clothes and personal effects. She pulls her nightclothes out and drops them on the bed.

As she turns to undress, she's struck by the image reflected in a mirror hung by the entryway. Is that really what she looks like now? She stares at herself, but it's the face of a stranger. It's too much. She sinks down on the bed, overwhelmed by the days events.

LATER

Devon tosses and turns in her sleep. THE SOUND OF TERRIAN CHATTER ECHOES around her. Amid the alien voices, one RECOGNIZABLE HUMAN VOICE CALLS OUT TO HER. ALONZO (O.S.) Devon... Devon, can you hear me? DEVON (in her sleep) Alonzo...

DREAMPLANE

Devon walks through a gauntlet of Terrians. They eye each other with mutual suspicion. The Terrians TRILL and step aside, revealing ALONZO SOLACE, whole and handsome, in their midst. Devon stops and stares at him. DEVON (CONT'D) Alonzo? ALONZO Can you hear me, Devon? (CONTINUED) 36. DEVON I hear you... and see you...

She touches him. DEVON (CONT'D) Is this real? ALONZO (laughing) As real as it's gonna get. I've tried to reach the others this way for months. They dismissed it as dreams. DEVON But... you're dead. ALONZO That depends on your point of view. The Terrians couldn't grasp why things went so wrong... they needed me to explain it to them. So, here I am... living on the dreamplane. DEVON What things went wrong? ALONZO (shakes his head) There's so much you don't know, Devon. DEVON Tell me about it. ALONZO Unfortunately, I can't. You're on the verge of a Crash and Burn. It's a common problem for Cold Sleep jumpers. Your mind can't handle the way the world seems to have changed overnight. If you're not careful, it'll shut down on you. DEVON What do I do about it? ALONZO Concentrate on things you don't know well -- Sinclair, for instance. DEVON Julia and Baines don't like him. But he seemed pleasant... and concerned about the well-being of the colony. (CONTINUED) 37. ALONZO He's a Council operative.

Devon REACTS. ALONZO (CONT'D) He made the mistake of approaching Julia before the satellite brass set him straight. DEVON He's in contact with Eve? ALONZO (shakes his head) Eve has her own agenda. After Bennett tried to destroy her, Eve shut herself off to Council access. They had to start all over. DEVON Then there's a second satellite. ALONZO That's right.

Devon ponders this a moment. DEVON You said, Eve has her own agenda. Do you know exactly what that is? ALONZO Not exactly. But I've seen its effects. Once, she made Yale run off with Uly. Yale was only in control long enough to find them shelter and get Uly fed. And to know how powerless he was to stop her. It took us three weeks to track them down. That's when he decided to live apart. DEVON Yale decided? ALONZO (nods) I thought you should know that.

Devon nods her head, numb. ALONZO (CONT'D) There's something else you should know, Devon. (MORE) (CONTINUED) 38. ALONZO (CONT'D) There was no sign of sabotage on the Colony ship. The Council planned to let them land here all along. DEVON New guinea pigs. ALONZO With leaders chosen by the Council built into their ranks. It was their plan to replace you any way they could. It still might be. Watch your back.

Alonzo kisses her cheek. ALONZO (CONT'D) It's been lonely with only the Terrians for company. So, I hope to God you remember this.

INT. DEVON'S ROOM -- NIGHT

Devon opens her eyes abruptly. She looks around the room, at peace. She settles back on the pillow. DEVON (whispering) I'll remember, Alonzo. WHISPERED VOICE (O.S.) Won't the plan change now that she's awake? DANZIGER (O.S.) (whispering) Not if I can help it.

Devon REACTS. She carefully slips out of the bed and inches toward her window, as the unseen conversation concludes. WHISPERED VOICE (O.S.) What will you tell her? DANZIGER'S VOICE (O.S.) (impatient) Whatever I have to. You just worry about things on your end. I'll take care of Devon. WHISPERED VOICE (O.S.) I hope you know what you're doing, Danziger.

Devon looks out the window.

39.

EXT. BACK OF DANZIGER HOME -- DEVON'S P.O.V.

A figure on the periphery of her vision, dashes around the corner of the house and out of view -- too quick to be identified. Danziger, watching the retreat, sighs deeply. DANZIGER So do I.

He turns back toward the entrance of the house.

INT. DEVON'S ROOM -- NIGHT

Devon ducks out of view before Danziger can see her. She climbs back into the bed and pulls the covers up under her chin; frightened, hurt, and confused.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT THREE


Part 4

ACT FOUR

INT. DANZIGER HOME -- MORNING

Danziger sits at the table sipping a coffee cup. Devon comes out of her bedroom dressed in her old power clothes and carrying the colony map. DANZIGER Good morning. DEVON Where are the children? DANZIGER School. Uly wanted to wake you up to say goodbye, but I thought you need the sleep. DEVON (biting) Like three years of it wasn't enough?! DANZIGER (stung) I thought it was more important that you'd be here to come home to.

Devon unfurls the map on the table in front of him. DEVON Last night you said this map was pretty accurate. Why don't you give me your impressions of New Pacifica? DANZIGER Sorry. I've got to get to work. DEVON I'm sure they can do without you for a half hour. How can I lead the colony if I don't know what's going on? DANZIGER Good question.

Julia walks into the house. DANZIGER (CONT'D) Ask Julia. I've gotta go.

He beats a hasty retreat. Devon wilts with frustration. (CONTINUED) 41. JULIA Devon, are you okay? (full of self doubt) A long Cold Sleep can have adverse psychological effects... DEVON I'm fine, Julia. JULIA Can I show you around the colony? DEVON I'd like that.

EXT. COLONY STREET -- DAY

Julia and Devon walk side by side. Devon draws stares and whispers. She nods to a few faces she recognizes. JULIA ...Considering how little we had to work with, John did a great job designing the basics you outlined in the specs Yale had on file. DEVON How did you bypass his security protocols? JULIA What? DEVON Wasn't access to Yale's memory sealed after the link to Eve was discovered? JULIA If it was, it's news to me.

As Devon ponders this, a large group of COLONISTS step forward as an informal welcoming committee. COLONIST 1 Ms Adair, on behalf of the hundreds you generously brought to this new world, we want to take this opportunity to welcome you home. DEVON Thank you so much. (CONTINUED) 42. COLONIST 2 Maybe now that you're here, these ridiculous fights between Danziger and Sinclair will stop. COLONIST 1 The funny thing is that they both insist they're doing things the way you'd want them done. COLONIST 2 Now that your here, you can set them straight.

A MOTHER with a healthy 3 year-old on her hip presses forward. MOTHER This world is wonderful. Nine months after the Healing, Taylor's still symptom free. The boy's the answer to a mother's prayer.

Devon looks to Julia for enlightenment. Another mother, SARAH, pushes past the others, her face contorted with fury. SARAH The answer to your prayer, but what about the rest of us?

Cassie breaks through the group and wraps her arms around the angry woman. She motions Julia away with a nod of her head, as she draws the woman out of Devon's proximity. SARAH (CONT'D) My son is dying. (shouts after Devon) Do you hear that, Devon Adair? My son is dying! All this way for nothing.

The crowd quiets somberly. Julia hustles Devon out of earshot. When they come to a halt, Devon is visibly shaking. JULIA I should explain... DEVON No! (takes a deep breath) I couldn't handle it right now, Julia. Let's keep going. Please...

Julia draws Devon forward, a look concern on her face. JULIA The Colony Center is just ahead. (CONTINUED) 43. DEVON Sinclair's domain. It seems like he's already running the colony. JULIA He knew your administrative plans for New Pacifica better than anyone. Danziger was grateful for the help. It wasn't until Sinclair established himself as Colony co-ordinator that we learned what a mistake it was. DEVON Sinclair works for the Council.

Julia stops in her tracks. JULIA How did you...? DEVON The Council would need someone to replace me when the Colonists got here and found out the Advance team was dead. You seemed pretty low on the spy chain. JULIA I'll be honest with you, Devon. Most of these people wouldn't care if Sinclair was Council or not. Only the results matter to them. DEVON But we know better, don't we?

Julia smiles in accord and they move on.

EXT. COLONY CENTER -- DAY

Sinclair and Benny wait at the door for Devon and Julia. SINCLAIR We saw you coming from the observation deck. Ready for your tour? DEVON I'm sure you have other things to do, Julia. Why don't you go ahead? Vladimir will take care of me.

Sinclair smiles. Julia shakes her head but enters the center, disappearing to the right. Sinclair ushers Devon through the door, leading her in the opposite direction.

44.

INT. OBSERVATION ROOM -- DAY

New Sentries man their posts. Workers, including Magus, check progress reports against a colony map. DEVON Where did you get all this equipment? SINCLAIR We cannibalized the Colony Ship. Sending it back intact seemed like a waste of resources. DEVON Very clever of you to think of that. SINCLAIR (nettled to admit it) It was Danziger's idea. DEVON (dismissive) Really? SINCLAIR Down here is our Computer Center.

Sinclair leads Devon down a staircase.

INT. COLONY CENTER COMPUTER ROOM

The room is banked with wall to wall equipment. Morgan Martin, in his element, rolls around the room on chair. MORGAN ... Field 3 this is Colony Center... ready for downlink... VOICE On it, Colony Center.

A light above Morgan's head flashes. He stiffens and quickly flips a switch. MORGAN Damn... Abort downlink, Field 3...

He turns to them; as if he knew they were there. MORGAN (CONT'D) I must not have purged the system yesterday. I overwrote a file. (CONTINUED) 45. SINCLAIR Doubtless you had other things on your mind. MORGAN (back to work) There may be a way around it. SINCLAIR If there is, you'll find it. (to Devon) He's a master at masking his incompetence.

Devon glances back over her shoulder at Morgan, frowning, as Sinclair leads her out a different door.

FADE TO:

INT. INFIRMARY

A dozen children lay in hospital beds made from Cold Sleep chambers, in various stages of the Syndrome. Vasquez tends to the seriously ill, while Julia runs a battery of tests on MAX SINCLAIR, 9. Max climbs down from the examination table when he sees his father approaching with Devon. SINCLAIR Last but not least is our infirmary... MAX Dad.... SINCLAIR My son, Max.

Devon smiles at Max. He eyes her with hostility. MAX I had a math test today. I don't see why I had to miss school. SINCLAIR You had a bad night. Your health is more important than a math test.

MRS. GRAHAM, a black woman in her fifties, enters in time to hear the last comment. She carries stacks of school consoles. MRS. GRAHAM Your father is absolutely right, Max. But an education has its uses, so I brought your math test to you. (CONTINUED) 46.

Vasquez directs a Med Tech into distributing consoles to the sick children. Mrs. Graham nods to Devon and turns to exit. SINCLAIR Don't leave, Mrs. Graham. Since we're all in the Center, we can hold our meeting now instead of later. VASQUEZ I have work to do... SINCLAIR Julia can handle things for fifteen minutes, Dr. Vasquez. We'll only be welcoming Devon back, and addressing one or two minor matters. MRS. GRAHAM It would save me a trip later. SINCLAIR Devon...

Julia shakes her head imperatively. Devon ignores her. DEVON Why not?

Sinclair takes Devon's arm and leads her out, with Vasquez and Mrs. Graham trailing. Julia turns to the Med Tech. JULIA I'll be back in a minute...

Max steps into her path, regarding her with a knowing look. MAX I don't want to be here all day.

Julia reluctantly returns to the examination table with Max.

INT. COUNCIL CHAMBER

A small auditorium with a platform for the Council Members and seating for the colonists who care to participate. Sinclair directs Devon to a chair and activates a recording monitor, as Morgan sprints into the room, breathless. MORGAN We're meeting now?! SINCLAIR Take your seat. (MORE) (CONTINUED) 47. SINCLAIR (CONT'D) Let the record show that this meeting of the Provisional Council took place at 12:12 NPT. Call the role, Mrs. Graham...

INT. INFIRMARY

Julia glances with yearning at a nearby monitor as she mechanically prods and probes Max. Walman passes the door, stops when he sees her, and ducks his head into the room. WALMAN Weren't you taking a day off? JULIA Walman, I'm so glad to see you!

He's visibly pleased she's pleased. She joins him at the door and whispers urgently to him. He reacts, running down the hall in the direction of the Council Chamber...

INT. COUNCIL CHAMBER

Sinclair looks smug, Vasquez and Morgan seem nervous, Mrs. Graham glances at her watch, her main concern: to get back to class on time. Devon gages them carefully. SINCLAIR ... That leaves us with only one item on the agenda. MRS. GRAHAM (nods) The Eastern expansion. SINCLAIR Progress report, Martin... MORGAN There...um...is no progress report.

The door flies open. Walman rushes into the hall. He sits in the front row of empty seats, fanning his face with his hand. Sinclair restrains his annoyance and presses on. SINCLAIR I say we turn the project over to another colony member. DEVON Who's in charge now? (CONTINUED) 48. VASQUEZ John Danziger is responsible for all colony construction and expansion. SINCLAIR The job must be too much for him... WALMAN Ball shank! MRS. GRAHAM (chides) Mr. Walman.... SINCLAIR Those in favor of turning responsibility for the Eastern Expansion over to someone else... DEVON Excuse me if it seems like I just came out of Cold Sleep yesterday... you've already voted to expand the colony eastward? WALMAN In an unexpected meeting a lot like this one, Devon. But Danziger won't do it. DEVON Why not? VASQUEZ The boundaries of New Pacifica were set in accordance to an agreement made with the Terrians by Mr. Solace. Though it's flat and fertile to the east, Mr. Danziger refuses to cultivate what he maintains are Terrian lands. SINCLAIR We don't intend to cross the border. We're just eliminating a buffer zone. DEVON Was the vote for expansion unanimous? VASQUEZ I voted against it. I trust Mr. Danziger's judgement. MORGAN I was sick that day. Touch of flu. (CONTINUED) 49. DEVON I recall three occasions on the road where violating Terrian boundaries put the Advance team in danger. Have you weighed the risks of expansion? SINCLAIR Expansion is not the issue here, Devon. DEVON Just yesterday someone chided me about making an important decision without getting all the facts. MRS. GRAHAM What do you suggest, my dear? DEVON Give me time to look into the matter. I'll make a report at the next Council meeting, and we can make our decision based on the information. SINCLAIR (shakes his head) This has been tabled too long already. DEVON Do you want to vote just to have it over with, Vladimir, or is there some reason the project has to begin now?

He compresses his lips. DEVON (CONT'D) I didn't noticed any substantial lack in the colony that would warrant haste, but I'll listen to a good reason why this decision has to be made today. Is there a reason? WALMAN Danziger isn't here to stop it. DEVON Besides that one. SINCLAIR No.

Walman laughs. Mrs. Graham frowns him silent. (CONTINUED) 50. MRS. GRAHAM All in favor of waiting for Devon's report on the viability of Eastern expansion...

Even Sinclair, albeit reluctantly, raises his hand. MRS. GRAHAM (CONT'D) Motion carries. Meeting adjourned.

She rises and quickly departs, checking her watch again. Vasquez and Walman crowd Devon, as Sinclair eyes her sourly. VASQUEZ An inspired move, Devon. DEVON All those years dealing with Council redtape must have rubbed off on me.

She gives Sinclair an apologetic smile over her shoulder. Better luck next time.

EXT. COLONY STREET - DAY

Devon stands in background talking to Vasquez by the door of the colony center. Walman tells Cameron, Baines, Magus and other COLONISTS in earshot about her coupe. WALMAN Old Sinclair never knew what hit him. COLONIST 2 It serves him right. I'm getting tired of these games he plays.

Murmurs of agreement all around. Danziger advances toward them, looking for Walman, and arrives within earshot to hear: COLONIST 1 I know I'd rather follow Devon Adair than Morgan Martin.

There's emphatic agreement to this. Walman smiles. He registers Danziger and joins him. DANZIGER What are you doing? WALMAN I was telling them how Devon bested Sinclair. You should have been there, Danziger. She was great. (CONTINUED) 51. DANZIGER And you couldn't keep it to yourself? WALMAN He was trying to push through the Eastern expansion again. Devon not only got the issue tabled but has a chance to reverse Graham's vote. She can be a good leader, Danziger.

Danziger makes eye contact with Devon from a distance. DANZIGER Not when she finds out what the biggest bone of contention in this colony is.

Danziger strides away angrily. Devon watches his departure with bitter disappointment as she half listens to Vasquez.

INT. DEVON'S ROOM -- NIGHT

Devon tosses and turns as SNIPPETS OF INFORMATION she's learned since awaking from Cold Sleep sound around her. JULIA'S VOICE We revived you to take control. ULY'S VOICE Yale's still linked to Eve. SINCLAIR'S VOICE He's a master at masking his incompetence. SARAH'S VOICE My son is dying, Devon Adair. DANZIGER'S VOICE You just worry about things at your end.

Suddenly louder than the others is: ALONZO'S VOICE Devon, wake up. Uly needs you.

Devon wakes.

INT. ULY'S ROOM -- NIGHT

Devon peers into the room. Uly's bed is empty. DEVON Uly? (MORE) (CONTINUED) 52. DEVON (CONT'D) (loud) Uly!

INT. DANZIGER HOME CENTRAL ROOM -- NIGHT

Devon comes out of Uly's room, looking around her frantically. DEVON Uly! Where are you?

Danziger stumbles out of his room. DEVON (CONT'D) John, Uly's gone! DANZIGER True!

True pops out of her room, slipping on her shoes. TRUE I heard. No alarms yet. DANZIGER There's a chance to head it off.

He grabs Devon's arm and pulls her out the door with him.

EXT. DANZIGER HOME -- NIGHT

They emerge from the house. True runs ahead. DEVON Where are we going? We've got to find Uly. DANZIGER We know where Uly is.

SIRENS BLARE. Danziger curses under his breath and propels Devon along at quicker pace. DEVON John, what's happening?

He shakes his head. No time to explain. He keeps her moving.

EXT. COLONY STREET -- NIGHT

Pandemonium. Colonists run in all directions. Some arm themselves with farm implements, some cower with their families. Others tote their Syndrome children in eager haste in the direction Danziger pulls Devon -- eastward.

53.

EXT. FIELD -- NIGHT

It's a flat grassy field lined by trees and, perhaps, a distant mountain vista. The assembled Colonists stand at a respectful distance from a circle of Terrians, all carrying power staffs. Morgan and Bess stand on the edge of the crowd with Tori, both hopeful and fearful at the same time. Sinclair holds Max lightly by the shoulders. Yale watches all at a discreet distance. Walman, Baines, Magus and Cameron police the crowd, nodding all's well to Danziger as he pushes Devon front and center. Devon scans the sea of faces. DEVON Where is he? I don't see him.

Danziger grimly points toward to the center of the Terrian circle. Uly Adair rises from a crouching position TRILLING LOUDLY and raises his arms above his head. The Terrians TRILL BACK and hold their spears out over Uly. Great arcs of crackling fire and light connect the spears to each other, then course down Uly's upraised arms and through his body. Uly lifts his head heavenward, trapped in the energy vortex. DEVON (CONT'D) (whispers) Uly. FADE OUT: END OF ACT FOUR


Part 5

ACT FIVE

EXT. FIELD -- NIGHT

The Scene's the same as before. Devon walks toward Uly. Danziger wraps his arms around her and pulls her to a halt. DANZIGER It's too late.

The energy field around Uly brightens to a blinding intensity. Then its surface shimmers with mesmerizing patches of color.

IN CROWD

Morgan sets Tori on the ground, and gently nudges her in the direction of the vortex. Bess reaches out toward Tori but Morgan grabs Bess's hands to prevent it, squeezing them in reassurance. Tori blankly watches the vortex, not moving.

ON CASSIE

Standing with Todd, watching Joseph with hopeful intensity. Joseph also blankly watches the vortex. Cassie swallows her disappointment as she realizes he's motionless too.

ON SINCLAIR

Max, like a sleepwalker, steps out toward the shimmering field. Sinclair restrains him with a firm grip.

FOUR CHILDREN

No pattern of selection in their make-up. They walk toward the vortex, drawn like moths to a candle. SOBS OF DISMAY from a Parent accompany them as they cross the energy boundary. Each child is wrapped in a cocoon of light and color. Their bodies flinch as if electrocuted.

ULY

As each child enters the energy vortex, his body convulses in pain. By the time the fourth child steps inside he's obviously suffering. His mouth opens in a soundless cry of supplication.

DEVON

Can't stand it. She tries to break Danziger's grip, which tightens like a vice as she resists him. DEVON Uly! Let me go, Danziger! (CONTINUED) 55. DANZIGER They won't let you in, Devon. Only the children.

TWO MORE CHILDREN

Break out from the crowd. As the first is enveloped by the vortex, Uly SCREAMS IN UTTER AGONY. DEVON (sobbing) My god, John.

Danziger nods to True. She takes a deep breath, and dashes toward the vortex before the last child can enter it. Danzinger turns his head away and shuts his eyes as...

TRUE BREAKS THE PLANE OF THE ENERGY FIELD

She stops inside the perimeter; color swirls around her and then away. She walks steadily past the Syndrome children, heading toward Uly, warily scanning the Terrians.

DANZIGER DANZIGER Is she in?

Devon takes a good look at him; he's as terrified as she is. DEVON Yes.

Danziger turns back to watch. His grip on Devon slackens.

IN VORTEX

True reaches Uly's side. She places a hand on each upraised arm and forces it downward. As if throwing a switch, the vortex disappears. The Syndrome children drop to the ground, unconscious. True supports Uly to keep his slack body upright. His eyes are open, but unaware.

THE TERRIANS

Lower their spears and TRILL IN UNISON. One by one they disappear into the ground.

Devon runs to Uly with Danziger following. Others race to the fallen children. Vasquez directs Med Techs around the site. Walman, Baines, Magus, and Cameron place themselves between Uly and the rest of the crowd.

Devon pulls Uly away from True. He's limp and unresponsive in her arms. (CONTINUED) 56. DEVON (CONT'D) Uly! Uly talk to me!

Uly cocks his head at her and TRILLS. Julia scans Uly with her diaglove, as Yale leisurely joins them. JULIA (to Danziger) About the same as last time. DEVON What does that mean? YALE (not himself) Well, Danziger...? DANZIGER It means he'll be out of it for a few days, but he'll be all right.

Yale nods and walks away at the same pace. Cameron follows. DEVON (strokes Uly's hair) Uly...

Uly avoids her touch and TRILLS AGAIN. Danziger looks around. He meets Sinclair's steady gaze over the heads of many disturbed-looking Colonists. DANZIGER Let's get him home.

He picks Uly up and carries him through the crowd; the stirring children, families both happy and discouraged, stares of fear and wonder. Devon keeps pace beside Danziger holding Uly's hand. She's oblivious to both the reactions and the fact that the Advancers have formed a protective flank around them, until Sarah lunges out at Uly. Baines catches Sarah by the arms before her clawing fingers can connect. Sarah SCREAMS IN FRUSTRATION. BAINES Go on!

Danziger quickens his pace as Sarah struggles to free herself. Devon stops suddenly and turns back to Sarah. Behind them, the five children rise from the ground, a little dazed but Syndrome free. Devon's eyes fill with tears as she nods for Baines to release the woman. (CONTINUED) 57. DEVON (watching children) I'm so sorry. I know how frustrating it is to watch your child suffer and know there's nothing you can do. SARAH My son is eight. But they take younger children, healthier children... DEVON They don't understand. But if we work with them; make them understand... (gestures to children) Look what they can do. SARAH Can you reach them? DEVON No. But I promise, I'll never stop trying.

Sarah nods. Devon looks around at the listening, sympathetic faces in the crowd. She hustles back to her son. Sinclair notes the approving crowd reaction as he takes Max home.

INT. ULY'S ROOM -- NIGHT

True and Danziger watch from the doorway. Devon sits beside Uly, curled on the bed in a fetal position, catatonic. DANZIGER (low voice) Go to bed, True Girl. I'm gonna need you in the morning.

True nods. Danziger gives her a fierce hug, bestows a tender goodnight kiss on her brow, then nudges her on her way. DEVON (after a beat) You should have warned me. DANZIGER I'm sorry. I thought I had more time.

He opens his mouth to say more, but Devon's too focussed on Uly. He slips away. Devon bows her head over the bed. DISSOLVE TO: 58.

INT. ULY'S ROOM -- MORNING

Devon dozes over Uly. He's in the same condition. True enters, holding a bowl of gruelly food. She gently shakes Devon's shoulder to wake her. TRUE There's breakfast on the table. DEVON (sees bowl) Is this for Uly?

True nods. Devon takes the bowl from her hands. DEVON (CONT'D) I'll feed him.

She holds a spoonful in front of Uly's mouth. DEVON (CONT'D) Uly... Come on, honey.

Uly turns his head away. True crouches near the bed. TRUE Uly... Uly, look at me.

Uly turns his head back, and regards True without recognition. True motions to Devon for the bowl. Maintaining eye contact, True holds a spoonful of food in front of him. After a beat, he pulls True's hand closer and licks the spoon clean. Devon rises, and leaves the room, utterly discouraged.

INT. DANZIGER HOME - CENTRAL ROOM -- MORNING

Danziger tucks the tail one of his old wild print shirts into his waistband. Devon comes out of Uly's bedroom, and sits at the table, looking almost as catatonic as her son. DANZIGER You should get some sleep. He was like this for three days once. DEVON Did you sleep then? DANZIGER No.

She looks at him, familiar yet for some reason, incomprehensible. She finally focuses on the shirt. DEVON I thought you burned those things. (CONTINUED) 59. DANZIGER (wryly) They have their uses. True's gonna stay home from school today. She knows what to do for him, and for some reason he responds to her when he's this way. DEVON Is that why they let her in? DANZIGER We think it's because they can't distinguish between a sick child and a well child. But she won't be a child much longer, Devon. (beat) I've got to go. I'll be at the South site again if you need me.

He gestures toward a Gear on the table. Devon nods.

INT. ULY'S ROOM -- MORNING

True enters the room to gives Devon a cup of coffee. Devon sips at it absently. TRUE He's sleeping? That's a good sign. DEVON There's no reason for us both to be here. Why don't you go to school? TRUE But... DEVON I have to learn to deal with it sometime, don't I?

True nods and leaves the room.

INT. ULY'S ROOM -- LATER

Devon examines rows of little artifacts carefully shelved around the room; their stories unknown to her. Uly sighs and opens his eyes. ULY (drowsy) Mom...

Devon returns to the bed, strokes his head. (CONTINUED) 60. ULY (CONT'D) You're here. I was afraid it was a dream. DEVON How do you feel? Can I get you something?

Uly shakes his head slowly. ULY Just don't go away.

He falls back to sleep. Devon sits beside him again.

INT. DANZIGER HOME CENTRAL ROOM -- DAY

Devon searches the kitchen for something to eat and settles on some leftovers in Cassie's dish. She takes a tentative bite, almost disappointed that it's still really good, then moves to the table. SCREAMS OF TERROR suddenly sound out from the other room. She runs to:

INT. ULY'S ROOM -- DAY

Uly thrashes on the bed, screaming. Devon takes him by the shoulders, attempting to keep him stationary; he throws her off with surprising strength. DEVON Uly!

She tries to shake him awake. No effect. Panicky, she rushes back to:

INT. DANZINGER HOME - CENTRAL ROOM

Devon picks up the Gear from the table and flicks it on as ULY'S CRIES CONTINUE. DEVON John! John, I need you....

Cassie Clayton enters the house. CASSIE I could hear Uly from the street... DEVON I don't know what to do.

Cassie rushes past Devon and into Uly's room. Devon follows.

61.

INT. ULY'S ROOM -- DAY

Cassie sits beside Uly and leans in close to his ear. CASSIE (whispery) Uly, It's all right. You're home. You're safe. We won't let anything happen to you. Your mother's here...

Cassie gestures for Devon to take her place in the chair. Cassie reaches out and rubs Uly's arm. He slowly quiets. DEVON (cued by Cassie) I'm here, Uly. I'm right here... CASSIE Sometimes John sings to him.

Devon gives Cassie a "You're kidding?" look. CASSIE (CONT'D) I know. But it seems to do the trick. What you're doing is just fine, though. DEVON When he woke awhile ago, he asked me not to go away. CASSIE He spoke to you?!

Danziger appears at the doorway, breathless. Cassie turns. CASSIE (CONT'D) John, Devon says Uly spoke to her earlier. Can you believe that? DANZIGER Was it a Night Terror? (off Cassie's nod) They don't usually happen for days.

Danziger leans over the bed and gently shakes the now quiet Uly's shoulder. Uly wakes and smiles up at him. ULY Dad... DANZIGER (overjoyed) Hey, champ... (CONTINUED) 62. ULY Did I miss very much? DANZIGER Believe it or not, Uly, you haven't missed a thing. (to Devon) This is great. DEVON (coldly) Is it? I'm afraid I wouldn't know. But he does seem better now, so you can go back to whatever you were doing.

Danziger's brow clouds. Cassie prods him out of the room.

INT. DANZIGER HOME CENTRAL ROOM -- DAY

Danziger paces the room, fuming. DANZIGER Can you believe her? CASSIE She was frightened, John. DANZIGER So was I, damn it. That kid's been a big part of my life for three years. I can't stop caring just because she's here. CASSIE No, you can't. And maybe that's what frightens her the most.

Danziger shakes his head and exits. Cassie follows. Devon steps in from the shadow of Uly's doorway, a witness to it all.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT FIVE


Part 6

ACT SIX

INT. ULY'S ROOM -- AFTERNOON

Julia examines Uly while Devon and True look on. JULIA This is amazing. He's always taken days to recover. ULY Does that mean I have to go to school tomorrow? JULIA Sorry, pal. I'm afraid so.

True sits down next to Uly. TRUE But, Uly, Mrs. Graham's going to give an archeology demonstration at the South site. ULY Cool!

Julia draws Devon into the next room as the children chat.

INT. CENTRAL ROOM -- AFTERNOON

Julia packs up her equipment. JULIA You'll see a big difference in him now, Devon. He suffers from attention deficiency prior to these episodes. DEVON Then the distant manner... JULIA Is part of the Terrian influence. I'm surprised John didn't tell you. He's the one who first noticed it.

Danziger enters the house just then. Devon glares at him. DEVON Since you tell me he'll be fine, Julia, and True's here, I think I'll get to work on that report I promised. Suddenly, I could use some fresh air. (CONTINUED) 64.

She storms out of the house. Julia shoots an inquiring look in Danziger's direction.

EXT. COLONY STREET -- DAY

Devon walks off her anger, heading toward the Colony Center. As she nears it her steps slow.

STREET -- DEVON'S P.O.V.

A crowd clusters around the Five Children who entered the energy vortex, marvelling at their vitality. One of the happy Parents waves to Devon, excited. She walks past the crowd, trying not to draw attention to herself. She can't deal with this now.

INT. OBSERVATION ROOM -- AFTERNOON

Sinclair sets a map down in front of Devon. SINCLAIR I'm surprised to see you here. I thought you'd be with your son. DEVON He's pretty much recovered. SINCLAIR Is that so? (escorts her to stairs) Morgan can provide you with the rest of the information.

Devon goes down to the computer room. Sinclair watches her with narrowed eyes.

INT. COMPUTER ROOM

Morgan calls up files for Devon, his fingers flying across the keyboard. MORGAN This macro should pull up all files relating to the Eastern site. Do you want me to download them to a Gear? DEVON You can do that? MORGAN Sure. It just takes a few extra steps and a little know-how. DEVON More than a little know-how, I think. (CONTINUED) 65.

Magus comes down the ladder and uses another computer console. A SUDDEN BLIPPING arrests Morgan's attention. As Devon watches over his shoulder, the file menu on his screen is replaced with location coordinates. He casually flips a switch. The file menu resumes. DEVON (CONT'D) What was that? MORGAN What was what?

She points to the console. He gets nervous. MORGAN (CONT'D) Oh, just... something I'm working on. DEVON It looked like a tracking program. MAGUS Tracking program? For what? MORGAN It's... um... it's for... keeping tabs on our equipment. Those pesky Grendlers, you know. Danziger must have the Rail out for a spin.

He calls up the screen again. He overlays an electronic map of the colony over it. Two areas glow. The Colony Center and an area on the outskirts. MORGAN (CONT'D) (phoney) Yep. He's visiting Yale. MAGUS You've tagged all the equipment? MORGAN Without permission? Not me. This is just a test. The Rail's about it. MAGUS I'm surprised Danziger let you do that, considering the accusations. MORGAN Well I didn't really... ask him. MAGUS (shakes her head) You like to live dangerously sometimes, don't you, Morgan? (CONTINUED) 66.

She goes back up the stairs. Morgan wilts in relief. DEVON What accusations, Morgan? MORGAN (shakes his head) Just a misunderstanding. This isn't the time or place to go into it.

He hands her a Gear. MORGAN (CONT'D) You're all set here. Good luck.

Devon regards him for a beat. She exits. Morgan studies the tracking program intently. He frowns.

EXT. EASTERN SITE -- LATE AFTERNOON

Following the map, Devon crosses the field where Uly healed the children, and heads out toward a sparse line of trees on the horizon. She stops very close to the treeline, frowning as she studies a part of the report on her Gear.

FROM THE TREES

A Sniper sites Devon up on O'Neil's low-powered rifle.

Devon takes a few blind steps with the Gear still in place. The report superimposed over the landscape. She catches her foot on an unseen root and falls flat. DEVON Shank!

The CRACK OF A SHOT explodes over her head. She freezes. A SECOND SHOT furrows the ground at her side. Vision impaired by the Gear readouts, Devon crawls to the safety of some ground cover. She rips the Gear off in time to see A SHADOW disappear back into the brush.

EXT. COLONY CENTER -- EVENING

Danziger and Sinclair talk at the door as Devon approaches. Her shirt and pants are covered with mud from crawling in the underbrush. Both men stare at her appearance. DANZIGER What happened to you? DEVON Someone tried to kill me. (CONTINUED) 67. DANZIGER You're joking... DEVON Someone shot at me. SINCLAIR The colony's weapons are kept locked in the storeroom. They have to be signed out. Was it a Magpro or a hand weapon? DEVON Neither. I only heard the reports, but it wasn't a sound I recognized.

Sinclair and Danziger look at each other. DANZIGER Devon... there's been a lot going on lately. The stress... DEVON I didn't imagine it, Danziger! SINCLAIR I'll check over the weapons' manifest in case your hearing was faulty, Devon. And I'll send Benny out to look over the area, if you can show me..?

Devon hands the map to him and points. DANZIGER Come on, Devon. I was looking for you anyway. DEVON Uly? DANZIGER Is probably dying of hunger. We're late for dinner.

She walks down the street beside him with hostile tolerance.

EXT. DANZIGER HOME -- EVENING

Devon walks toward the house. Danziger takes her arm. DANZIGER We're not going in just yet. DEVON You said.... (CONTINUED) 68. DANZIGER I say a lot of things when Sinclair's in earshot. Come on...

He leads her around the back of the house to...

INT. GARAGE -- EVENING

Devon ducks through the door, followed by Danziger, stopping short when she sees the assembled Advancers. DEVON What is this? DANZIGER Our own private Council. (to others) Someone tried to shoot Devon this afternoon.

She turns around and looks at him. DANZIGER (CONT'D) It was probably O'Neil's gun again. JULIA (to Devon) It's what they used to kill Alonzo. DEVON Alonzo was shot?! WALMAN By accident. Supposedly. Benny was aiming at a Terrian and 'Lonz got in the way. MAGUS Except he used O'Neil's gun to do it. And we're the only people who had access to it. DEVON Who would give them...?

Bess rises and turns her back on the others. BESS He said he didn't do it, and I believe him. BAINES Then where was he, Bess? Why can't he tell us that? (CONTINUED) 69.

Bess shakes her head. DANZIGER We're not going over this again. We've got other things to worry about. (to Devon) It looks like we'd better clue you in on a few things for your own protection. Sinclair is Council. JULIA She knows that. She figured it out for herself. DEVON I'm not totally incompetent. DANZIGER (fed up) I'm sorry, from the way you blurted out that attempt on your life in front of him, I thought you didn't know.

Devon turns her back on him equally angry. She notes the Rail, in the corner, up on blocks. DEVON Unlike some people, it's not in my nature to be secretive. BAINES If this is going to degenerate into one of your arguments, we're going home. WALMAN Why don't we just make our reports as usual? I'm sure Devon'll catch on. DANZIGER Let's start with the Yale report. Cameron...?

Cameron steps up front and center, opens his mouth, and...

DISSOLVE TO:

LATER

The meeting's breaking up. Devon looks over the group as they say farewells and leave the tent one by one. She steps over to Bess who musters a melancholy smile. (CONTINUED) 70. DEVON I'm surprised you come, with the way they feel about Morgan. BESS Morgan insists. He's sure he'll be vindicated one day. And what they feel about Morgan can never change the way I feel about him. If it comes down to the group or my family... But Morgan's wonderful. He's never asked me to make that choice. DEVON Who accused him of taking the gun? Initially, I mean.

Bess glances at Danziger. BESS Who do you think?

Bess ducks out of the tent. Danziger motions Devon out. Devon obliges, gaging him with her eyes.

INT. DEVON'S ROOM -- NIGHT

She lays on the bed, wakeful. She HEARS THE SOUND OF SOMEONE MOVING in the central room. She slips out of bed and tiptoes to her door.

INT. CENTRAL ROOM -- NIGHT

Devon peers in from her own room, standing in the shadows. Danziger, shoes in hand, tiptoes through the room and out the door. Devon waits a beat, then sneaks out after him.

EXT. GARAGE -- NIGHT

Devon watches Danziger enter the tent. A LOW LIGHT glows inside after a beat. She's about to step forward when another figure dashes through the darkness and into the tent ahead. Devon moves forward cautiously.

AT DOOR OF TENT

Devon stands at the entrance, listening to the conversation. WHISPERED VOICE I couldn't let you know while she was standing there, could I? DANZIGER'S VOICE It could have made the difference between her life and death. (CONTINUED) 71. WHISPERED VOICE You're the brains here. I just follow orders. DANZIGER'S VOICE Using that gun again was a stupid move. We'll have to...

Devon steps into the tent.

INT. GARAGE -- NIGHT DEVON Have to what?

Danziger and Morgan turn toward the tent door, caught. MORGAN Devon, how...nice...I was just passing and I saw the light, and... DANZIGER Stow it, Morgan.

Danziger and Devon look at each other with palpable tension.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT SIX


Part 7

ACT SEVEN

INT. GARAGE -- NIGHT

Same as before. DANZIGER What are you doing here, Devon? DEVON Funny, that was my question. DANZIGER I came out to work on the vehicles. MORGAN He does, you know. He got so used to it on the road he can't give it up. DEVON What's his next project? (walks to Rail) This Rail he took out for a spin earlier?

Morgan puts on a "whoops" face. Danziger rolls his eyes. DANZIGER There's a spy in Eden Advance. DEVON Really? I think I know who it is.

She glares at Danziger. He gapes at her, insulted. After a startled beat, Morgan LAUGHS HYSTERICALLY. MORGAN You think Danziger sold us out to the Council?! Devon, you're a worse judge of character than I thought. DEVON The two of you are working behind the others' backs... DANZIGER Morgan's my spy.

Devon raises her brow at Morgan who bows to her. DANZIGER (CONT'D) I finally found something he's really good at. (CONTINUED) 73. MORGAN Maybe not so good. The tracking program looped back to the Computer Center. They may be on to me. DEVON What are you tracking? DANZIGER They've been trying to use Yale to break Eve's command codes. They found a way to bounce signals off of Yale up to the satellite, but they haven't found the way in. MORGAN Yet. Though they almost did.

INT. YALE'S HOUSE -- DAY

Flashback... DANZIGER'S VOICE ...About a year ago, Eve summoned me.

Danziger stands by Yale's door with arms folded as Morgan works off a clamshell terminal patched to Yale's outstretched arm. Cameron works in the background. The image of Eve hovers over Yale's open palm. EVE They've pierced the first tier... DANZIGER Don't pop a circuit; Morgan'll fix it. EVE Let's hope so. You know what I'll be forced to do otherwise. MORGAN This is strange... according to the logs, the only files accessed in the last few weeks are from Yale's own memory banks. Let me pull one up.

Morgan pushes a few keys; Yale REACTS to an inner vision. YALE It's the day we left Devon behind... I didn't access this file. It's far too painful... (CONTINUED) 74. MORGAN Let me transfer the file to my terminal and take a look at it. (long beat) This is very interesting. It looks like they're accessing the personal memory banks and re-storing the files with their own coding. Then they're using those codes to patch into Eve. DANZIGER Can you erase the codes? MORGAN It'll take some time. And to be safe, I'll write a program to secure Yale's memory banks against future access.

INT. GARAGE -- BACK TO SCENE DANZIGER To purge the codes, Morgan had to check the contents of every accessed file. He noticed a pattern. MORGAN All the memories were traumas Yale suffered since our arrival on the planet. Files he wouldn't be likely to access himself because they were "too painful." DANZIGER Every event occurred while we were on the road. It was information only an Advancer would know. DEVON And the gun? DANZIGER Julia's timing really stinks.

INT. GARAGE -- NIGHT

Flashback... The Advancers including Morgan are having a meeting about Alonzo's death. The mood is somber. Danziger looks like he's at death's door himself. Julia, face swollen from crying, enters the tent without a word to anyone and walks up to the TransRover. JULIA Release. Authorization Heller. (CONTINUED) 75.

She pulls the door of the TransRover open and rummages behind the seat. She pulls out the gun case for O'Neil's rifle and sets it on the floor. She opens it. The case is empty. WALMAN Julia...

She cries, accusation in the gaze that scans the room. JULIA This is what they used. Who told them? ...Well?!

She sobs. Walman kneels beside her. He puts a tentative arm around her shoulder and she buries her face on his chest. DANZIGER Where were you yesterday, Morgan? MORGAN (confused) What?

Danziger gets in Morgan's face;imploring eyes belie his anger. DANZIGER Only the people in this room knew O'Neil's gun was there. You've been disappearing a lot lately. BESS You're not being fair, Danziger. Morgan would never... DANZIGER Where were you, Morgan?!

Morgan swallows hard and straightens with quiet dignity. MORGAN I can't tell you that, Danziger. But I had nothing to do with Alonzo's death. And I don't care to associate with anyone who thinks I would.

Morgan makes a grand exit with Bess following. Danziger surreptitiously watches the reactions of the others as they digest the unfolding events.

BACK TO SCENE DEVON So you accused Morgan because... (CONTINUED) 76. DANZIGER Because he was the only one it couldn't be. He was working on those programs with Yale. DEVON (painful) Could Yale... MORGAN Yale hasn't had access to the Rover since we found out Eve could override his weapons aversion program. DANZIGER We've been able to eliminate Walman and Cameron. And we really don't suspect Julia. (off Morgan's look) Or Bess. MORGAN But until we eliminate them with certainty, we're playing it safe. DEVON I see. (to Danziger; cold) Who eliminated you?

Morgan gapes. It's the last straw for Danziger. DANZIGER I've had just about enough of this...

He storms out of the tent. Devon pursues him, leaving Morgan dazed. He shakes his head, "Naw, couldn't be", and exits.

INT. CENTRAL ROOM -- NIGHT

Danziger enters from the street. Devon dogs his steps. DEVON What's the matter, Danziger? It's a valid question. You looked pretty chummy with Sinclair this afternoon. DANZIGER Looks can be deceiving. DEVON I know. Julia said the Advancers voted against reviving me, but only you seem upset about it. (MORE) (CONTINUED) 77. DEVON (CONT'D) And you're handing the Council my colony on a silver platter. DANZIGER Your colony? You don't have a clue what's going on around here. DEVON And I'll stay ignorant in the future if I depend on you to tell me. DANZIGER I was trying to protect you. (off her skeptical look) I thought Sinclair would feel less threatened if I left you in the dark. DEVON And how does that help the colony?

Danziger grits his teeth; it doesn't. DEVON (CONT'D) Are you afraid of him, Danziger? DANZIGER (annoyed) Yes, Devon. I'm afraid of him. If you used your head, you would be too. DEVON I don't know what happened to you... DANZIGER You want to know what happened to me?! I made someone two promises. And then one horrible day I was forced to admit to myself that I couldn't keep them both. So you know what I did? I chose to back the one I thought would mean the most to you.

He walks out of the house; if there was a door, he'd slam it. Devon thinks about what he's said, sinks down at the table, exhausted and depressed.

DREAMPLANE -- LATER

Alonzo crouches beside Julia's sleeping figure. Terrians flank him. Devon walks into the scene, disoriented. ALONZO She's worried... (CONTINUED) 78.

He strokes Julia's hair. She turns on the bed and sighs; a soft smile lights her lips. Alonzo looks up at Devon. ALONZO (CONT'D) She'll be much better off when Danziger trusts her. You can tell him she's not the traitor. DEVON Do you know who it is? ALONZO (nods) You do too, if you think about it. DEVON I'm in no mood for doubletalk, Alonzo. ALONZO Sorry. It's the Terrian influence.

He kisses Julia on the forehead and leads Devon off. Julia's bed disappears. ALONZO (CONT'D) You were pretty hard on Danziger. He's always looked out for your best interests. DEVON Then why does he act like my revival was a big mistake? ALONZO Well, for one thing, he's been using the words, "When your Mom comes home..." to motivate Uly for so long, that he wouldn't settle for anything but a sure cure. And, secondly, he's not sure he can count on you to back his plan for a strategic retreat. DEVON Retreat? ALONZO Two promises. Lead the group. Protect Uly. But what happens when he has to protect Uly from the group.

Devon stops, appalled. DEVON Uly's just a boy. (CONTINUED) 79. ALONZO Come on, Devon... just a boy? They all thought so until that first healing. Then he became an issue. The leader of this colony has a thousand people to consider. How can he, or she, put Uly over the needs of the majority, knowing what he can do? DEVON But he healed their children... ALONZO Some of their children. He has power, but no control over it. And he can only heal so many at a time. Some of their children will still die... (beat) After the first time, Sinclair proposed that they keep Uly under constant observation in the Colony Center. The vote was close, but it went Danziger's way. But with each healing the lines get drawn deeper. DEVON Oh, god. Why didn't he tell me? ABRUPT CUT TO:

INT. CENTRAL ROOM -- NIGHT

Devon wakes from her dream, still seated at the table. She looks around the darkness, getting her bearings. She rises and swiftly moves to Danziger's room.

INT. DANZIGER'S ROOM -- NIGHT

The bed is empty and unslept in. Devon clutches her head. Where is he?

INT. CENTRAL ROOM -- NIGHT

Devon runs through the room and out the door.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT SEVEN


Part 8

ACT EIGHT

EXT. COLONY STREET -- NIGHT

Devon walks the street looking for Danziger. She stops outside one of the doors, takes a deep breath and calls. DEVON Hello... Hello?

Cassie comes to the door, sleepy-eyed, donning her robe. CASSIE Devon? DEVON I'm sorry to bother you. I'm looking for John Danziger.

Cassie REACTS. DEVON (CONT'D) We had... a disagreement. He was pretty upset when he left and I thought he might... CASSIE Come to me? No. But I know where he might be.

EXT. BEACH -- NIGHT

Danziger stands on the shore, pitching stones in the water. Devon and Cassie appear on a bluff overlooking the site. Devon squeezes Cassie's arm in thanks and starts down the path to him. Cassie sighs in resignation, and leaves.

Devon considers Danziger a moment, then steps up beside him, looking out at the water. DEVON It's peaceful here, isn't it? DANZIGER Unlike your colony? (beat) I'm sorry, Devon. I don't know how it got away from me. One minute it looked like your dream, and the next... it's a nightmare. (sighs) You left me in charge and I blew it. (CONTINUED) 81. DEVON Why don't you let me be the judge of that? Talk to me, John. Tell me what happened.

He leads her from the water. They sit side by side in the sand. Danziger watches the waves, not looking at her. DANZIGER When the colonists first learned about the Terrians they were terrified...

EXT. COLONY STREET -- DAY

Flashback ... Alonzo, surrounded by Advancers, Colonists, et al. wakes from a Terrian dream. ALONZO As a gesture of good will they'll heal all the children. Bring your children to the eastern field tonight.

Colonists REACT.

EXT. FIELD -- NIGHT

Uly stands in the circle of Terrians as before, upraised arms, surrounded by light. The vortex already envelopes Seven Children, and more walk toward it. Uly's pain is evident to everyone. Danziger is particularly frantic. DANZIGER (to Alonzo) You've got to stop it now. They're killing him.

A PANICKED COLONIST nearby only catches part of the sentence. PANICKED COLONIST (shouts) They're killing them! They're killing the children.

Like brushfire, his words race through the frightened crowd. ALONZO No, wait... let me talk to them.

Alonzo steps to the edge of the Terrian circle and begins dreaming.

From a vantage directly behind Danziger, Sinclair nods. Benny uncovers O'Neil's rifle from under a blanket he carries and carefully lines Alonzo up in the siting telescope. (CONTINUED) 82.

DANZIGER

He's totally focussed on Uly. As the ninth or tenth child steps into the vortex, it's too much. DANZIGER I've got to get him out of there! If anything happens to him...

He runs toward the vortex. Julia shouts after him. JULIA Danziger, wait!

Danziger reaches the edge of the vortex. As he touches the plane THE SHOT RINGS OUT AND ALONZO FALLS. Julia screams.

At the same time, a surge like lightning strikes out from the vortex at Danziger, knocking him to the ground.

Julia and Walman run toward Alonzo. True, Cameron and Vasquez go to Danziger. The crowd's panic worsens. Sinclair hustles Benny and his gun away.

ON JULIA

She turns Alonzo over. His eyes stare up at her in momentary recognition and then gloss over. She fumbles with her diaglove, but a part of her knows it's too late. JULIA (CONT'D) Alonzo... Alonzo, hold on.

ON DANZIGER

Vasquez works on him urgently, while Cameron and True hover over him. Barely conscious, he looks through the vortex at the suffering Uly. DANZIGER ... got to get him out... promised...

True looks over at Uly. Before anyone can stop her, she runs into the vortex, not stopping until she reaches Uly. TRUE Uly! Uly, stop it!

She shakes Uly by the shoulders. He flinches in agony. Desperate, she wrenches his arms down, intending to pull him out physically. As before, the vortex dies. An eerie silence falls over the crowd. And then the first healed CHILD stands. CHILD Mom? Mom, I can breathe! (CONTINUED) 83.

The CHILD pulls off respiration equipment as Anxious Parents rush to him/her. Cameron claims Uly from True, carrying him to Danziger. Danziger falls back unconscious as Vasquez works on the boy, and from across the field, Julia Heller falls to a seat on the ground, crying heartbroken tears.

EXT. BEACH -- BACK TO SCENE

Danziger shakes his head, numb. Devon puts a comforting hand on his. After a beat, he places his other hand over hers. And keeps it there. DANZIGER The next day was the worst. Alonzo was dead, I was half dead, and Uly... he almost didn't make it, either. Sinclair talked about caging Uly like some animal. His nerve astounds me... Yale watched everything from a distance. From the trajectory of the shot, and the fact that they used O'Neil's gun, he concluded they were planning to frame me for Alonzo's murder. And all those understanding people wanted to know why all the children weren't healed. DEVON No wonder you gave up on them. DANZIGER I don't know what your dream for New Pacifica was exactly, but it can't be this. DEVON You're right. It isn't.

They look at each other, in accord at last.

EXT. COLONY STREET -- MORNING

Children pass the Danziger home on their way to school. Uly and True hover in their doorway, uncertain what to do. ULY You don't suppose they got so mad at each other that they killed each other, and their bodies are out in a field somewhere festering... TRUE Get real, Uly. (MORE) (CONTINUED) 84. TRUE (CONT'D) I can tell you one thing, after that fight last night, you can forget all those "happy family" dreams you're so fond of.

From a distance, Danziger and Devon walk side by side, laughing and talking like the best of friends. Their camradery is noted by more than one person on the street. ULY Wanna bet?

He runs over to them. True follows. ULY (CONT'D) Mom, where were you? We were getting worried. DEVON I'm sorry. We got to talking lost track of the time. ULY (arch) Is talking all you were doing?

Devon recoils in shock. Danziger glares. True nudges Uly. TRUE Come on. We're late.

They scamper off, giggling. Danziger shrugs. DANZIGER I don't know where they get this stuff. DEVON Come on. You can make me breakfast and tell me all about "The Plan."

Danziger nods and they go into the house together.

EXT. STREET NEAR COLONY CENTER -- DAY

Morgan stands on a crate, making outlandish campaign promises. MORGAN ... I promise to make our friends the Grendlers bathe before we trade with them... (CONTINUED) 85. COLONIST 1 (whispers to fellow colonist) Isn't Devon Adair going to run for governor? COLONIST 2 I haven't heard anything, but I wish to God she would.

He rolls his eyes at Morgan. Colonist 1 nods in accord.

INT. GARAGE -- DAY

True, Uly and Danziger work on the TransRover while Devon listens and hands them tools. DANZIGER ... I thought we might go back to those woods along the river... TRUE Near the waterfall? (off Danziger's nod) You'll love it, Devon. We camped there a week because it was so beautiful. DEVON How far is it? DANZIGER Three hundred kilometers. DEVON Are you sure the Rover can make it? DANZIGER She hasn't let me down so far. I just wish... (he looks at the other vehicles) There's so much to do. And I hate to leave the Advancers behind. But without knowing who betrayed us...

As they work on, a sudden "aha" lights Devon's features. DEVON ... The signal tracked back to the Computer Center... DANZIGER What? (CONTINUED) 86. DEVON Alonzo was right. I know who it is.

Danziger REACTS.

EXT. COLONY STREET -- DAY

With one eye on passersby, Daniziger speaks to Walman and Cameron. After a startled reaction, both nod and walk away.

INT. HANGAR -- DAY

Cameron hangs over Baines, who works on one of the vehicles. He whispers in his ear. Baines slowly grins and nods too.

INT. INFIRMARY -- AFTERNOON

Walman dogs Julia as she works, pleading with her in a low voice. Several times she shakes her head. Finally, she takes his hand, makes eye contact, and shakes her head emphatically. Walman sadly makes another suggestion. Julia thinks a minute, then slowly nods. Walman leaves.

INT. TORI'S ROOM -- NIGHT

Bess sits at Tori's bedside, adjusting the child's covers as Morgan talks to her. She eyes Tori with concern, then looks at Morgan, torn. He squeezes her shoulder and kisses her brow. Bess sighs and nods reluctantly.

INT. GARAGE -- ANOTHER EVENING

Bess, Baines, Denner, Cameron, Yale, and Walman pack the Rover and the Rail with their personal effects as Danziger works on the ATV. Julia helps them reluctantly. WALMAN I wish I could change your mind, Julia. It won't be the same without you. JULIA Too many sick children need me here.

Devon and Morgan enter. Bess crowds Morgan. BESS (in panicked whisper) Morgan, we can't go. Julia won't be there. What if Tori needs a doctor? MORGAN Bess, look at it this way. There's only one sure cure for the Syndrome. (MORE) (CONTINUED) 87. MORGAN (CONT'D) If Tori's the only sick child nearby, what do you think her chances are of getting healed?

Bess picks up two bags and crams them on the Rover. Devon walks over to Danziger. She looks unhappy. DANZIGER How did it go? DEVON The vote was against Eastern expansion. BAINES That's great! DEVON Is it? Tomorrow we pull out of here with two of those votes, and no candidate to keep Sinclair out of power. He can put it back on the agenda next week, and pass it without opposition.

They all stop working. Danziger straightens, cutting off Cameron's trip to one of the vehicles with a large box, and gives Devon a look of dread. DANZIGER I hope you don't mean what I think you mean. DEVON They followed me here, John. And I promised I would help them deal with the Terrians. DANZIGER If you take control, Sinclair will throw Uly back at you every chance he gets. And the moment you choose him over the good of the colony, you'll lose their support. There's no way around it, Devon. DEVON There's one. I could lead the colony, and you could protect Uly.

Danziger REACTS. DANZIGER It won't work. He's your kid. (MORE) (CONTINUED) 88. DANZIGER (CONT'D) You'd never be able to give me complete control of him. DEVON And if I lead this colony, I'd bet my last credit that you wouldn't be able to give me complete control either. That's how we operate, Danziger. DANZIGER I don't know.... CAMERON Excuse me...

They both turn and look at him. CAMERON (CONT'D) Can you make a decision here? This is pretty heavy.

They look at each other, and the hopeful faces of all the other Advancers.

EXT. COLONY STREET -- ELECTION DAY

Sinclair, Benny, Magus, Vasquez, Graham and others wait at a table set up outside the Colony Center in anticipation for the colony's first election. The gathered crowd is restless. Mrs. Graham checks her watch. MRS. GRAHAM Morgan Martin is late. SINCLAIR (to Magus) Where are they, Lorna? I don't see any of the Advancers. MAGUS I don't know. SINCLAIR (turns to Benny) Run to Danziger's house. I want to know where that boy is.

Benny has no time to react before the members of Eden Advance arrive en masse, with Morgan and Devon at their head. MRS. GRAHAM At last... let's get started. (CONTINUED) 89. MORGAN Before we begin, I'd like to make an announcement.

The crowd grumbles. Not another speech. Morgan quiets them with wave of his hand. MORGAN (CONT'D) We've gathered today to put our colony in the hands of a person of vision; someone we hope can make a better life for our children and ourselves. But someone has already proven herself to be that kind of person. She got us all here despite impossible odds, giving our children the chance to grow old and have children of their own. As far as I'm concerned, there's no need to vote; we know who our true leader is. But numbers matter more to some of us than others, so I herby remove my name from the ballot, and ask you all to replace it with Devon Adair's.

Danziger pushes Devon up to the front. The Colonists applaud enthusiastically. Sinclair scowls.

DISSOLVE TO:

LATER

Colonists crowd Devon, shaking her hand in congratulations. She gracefully extracts herself to join Danziger and Yale. DANZIGER Congratulations... Boss. DEVON Thanks.

Magus joins them, giving Yale a nervous look. MAGUS Congratulations, Devon. Sorry I didn't take part in the show of solidarity. I must have missed the signal. DANZIGER You didn't miss anything, Magus. You weren't invited.

She realizes they're on to her. She shoots a look in Sinclair's direction. He begins to work his way through the packed street to join them. (CONTINUED) 90. DEVON Why, Magus? MAGUS Because... (looks at Yale) Because the Council is our only hope of breaking free. DEVON Free? Of what? YALE I can answer that.

Magus recoils, then clutches the back of her neck. She nearly collapses in pain. Danziger grabs Yale's arm. DANZIGER That's enough!

Magus recovers. With a wounded glare in Yale's direction, she runs off through the crowd. Yale nods in satisfaction and departs without a backward glance. Danziger leans over to speak in Devon's ear, as Sinclair draws closer. DANZIGER (CONT'D) (low voice) Did I mention that Eve's made Uly's survival her primary duty, and she's threatened to kill everyone in the colony if this doesn't work out?

Devon turns a wide-eyed stare on him. DANZIGER (CONT'D) I guess not.

She conceals her reaction as Sinclair offers his hand. SINCLAIR Devon, congratulations. DEVON Thank you, Vladimir. SINCLAIR I want you to know I'm going to assist you in any way I can to make sure New Pacifica evolves in the right direction. (CONTINUED) 91. DEVON And I'll do everything in my power to ensure it evolves in the right direction, too.

A mutual challenge is understood beneath their pleasant smiles. Danziger steps closer to Devon. Sinclair walks away.

INT. DEVON'S ROOM -- NIGHT

Devon studies charts and consoles at her desk. She looks up at the map of New Pacifica above her desk. DEVON (V.O.) And so, awake, I find myself in possession of my dreams again. DISSOLVE TO:

EXT. FIELD -- NIGHT

Another healing. Danziger and Devon stand on the edge of the circle, clutching each other for support as they wait for True to enter the vortex. DEVON (V.O.) The Terrians continue to honor their promise to heal all the children...

DREAMPLANE

Devon stands with Alonzo in a circle of Terrians. She nods in satisfaction. DEVON (V.O.) (CONT'D) And I try to honor mine, though I haven't told anyone that I'm doing my best work at night.

Alonzo watches Devon walk away and disappear to nothingness. DEVON (V.O.) (CONT'D) I've learned a lot about dreams since coming to this planet.

Alonzo walks through Terrians to sit beside Julia's bed. He touches his forehead to hers. She smiles in her sleep. DEVON (V.O.) (CONT'D) Some dreams are just dreams. Or seem that way. 92.

EXT. SOUTH SITE -- DAY

It's hot. Danziger wipes sweat off his brow on the sleeve of his shirt. Cassie approaches with a saucy smile and a cup of water. He drains it, winks at her, and goes back to supervising workers. Cassie watches him with a speculative gleam in her eye. DEVON (V.O.) Others will take concentrate effort to achieve.

Danziger surveys the buildings, smiling in satisfaction as a Family moves in to a newly completed home. DEVON (V.O.) (CONT'D) Dreams are transitory; what we want at first can be so different from what we end up with.

INT. COUNCIL CHAMBER -- DAY

Sinclair and Danziger face off in a fairly packed auditorium. Uly sinks down into his seat next to Danziger, while True pats his hand. Devon rises, and says something to diffuse the situation. Danziger and Sinclair back off, glaring. Devon resumes her seat and cradles her aching head. DEVON (V.O.) And the achievement of our dreams can have consequences we never anticipated.

INT. TORI'S ROOM -- NIGHT

Morgan and Bess tuck Tori into bed. Morgan checks over the nearby medical equipment before giving Tori a tender kiss goodnight. DEVON (V.O.) Pursuing our dreams can bring out the best in us...

INT. COLONY CENTER OBSERVATION ROOM -- NIGHT

Magus, Benny and other Colonists hold a strategy meeting at the central desk. Sinclair walks away from them to one of the windows, looking out on the Colony he'll do his best to win back. DEVON (V.O.) And the worst in us. 93.

INT. INFIRMARY -- NIGHT

Sarah sits beside her ailing Son. Julia turns away and into herself as she realizes there's nothing more she can do. From the doorway, Walman watches, wishing he could help her. DEVON (V.O.) Dreams, like hearts, can be broken.

Sarah clutches her Son's hand. He dies. She bows her head and sobs. DEVON (V.O.) (CONT'D) And it seems the harder we believe in them, the more painful it is to bear when dreams die.

EXT. DANZIGER HOUSE -- NIGHT

Yale watches with yearning as Danziger enters his cozily-lit home, flanked by True and Uly. DEVON (V.O.) Despite their fragile nature, we can't stop ourselves from dreaming.

Cameron taps Yale on the arm. Yale nods. They walk away.

INT. DEVON'S ROOM -- NIGHT

Devon at her desk, as before. She hears the others enter, and quickly puts her work in order. She takes a look at the map again, smiles and exits. DEVON (V.O.) Because dreams are the maps to the hidden strengths within each one of us...

INT. CENTRAL ROOM -- NIGHT

Danziger and the kids work around the kitchen and table, laughing and joking as they get supper ready. Devon watches them fondly a moment, then joins in, earning a beaming smile from Uly. DEVON (V.O.) and their fulfillment is our ultimate destination on this continuing journey we call Life. FADE TO BLACK: THE END

-The End-




This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.