DESTINY
By
Claire Campana


Timeline: Before Pilot
Author's E-Mail: ClaireG889@aol.com


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
I just want to say a big thank you to first, Rosa Moran and then to the great group of people that come to the fanfic chats. Rosa, thanks for the great comments. Fanfic chat attenders, I may not have said much but I listened, and some of the things you discussed did help me very much in this story. Thanks. This story does not need that much explanation. If you understand the poem below, you will definitly understand the story. As A.j. put so elequently," I don't own the characters, they own me. "


Destiny
By Claire Campana

Two paths go on their separate ways.
But circumstance and events draw them closer.
It it fate or is it destiny?
That draws these two together.
For the paths finally meet.
The two make one,
And now, each is whole.


Destiny, Part 1 - Destiny
By Claire Campana

Alonzo

Alonzo jumped out of his bed as quickly as he could. It was his birthday! In the midst of his excitement, Alonzo woke up his older brother, Marcus.

" Watch where you are jumping!" Marcus complained when one of Alonzo's jumps landed on his foot.

" It's my birthday, Marcus." Alonzo reminded his brother. " I know, I know. How could I forget? You've been telling me every day for the past month." Marcus said sternly but there was a twinkle in his eyes. " You better quiet down. Or else Mama and Papa might return your presents." Alonzo's face fell. " I'm just kidding!" Marcus said much to the relief of his little brother. " Come on. Let's go find everybody else."

The two boys ran out of their bedroom to their sister's room. Alonzo preceded to wake each of them up much to their chagrin. Monica and Melinda may not have been that happy about it, but when they saw Alonzo's happy smile they forgave him on the spot.

" Monica, Melinda. Do you know what today is? " Alonzo said with a smile that would someday cause women to swoon.

" Hmm. Let me think... No I can't think of anything. Tell me. What is today, Dimples?" Monica said even though she knew full well what day it was. Alonzo hadn't let let them forget when his birthday was. She bet he had even been counting the hours.

Alonzo frowned at his nickname, but he couldn't stay unhappy for long and a smile came to his face proving once again why he had his nickname. " It's my birthday. I'm seven years old." Alonzo proudly replied.

Melinda pretended to faint and Alonzo gave her a kiss to wake her. " You're that old?!? Wow, Dimples. That makes me ancient."

Alonzo shook his head and seriously said. " No, don't be silly, Melinda." He smiled again." Let's go find Mama and Papa," Alonzo said as he pulled Monica out of the door.

The four kids quickly ran to the kitchen where they found their parents making Alonzo's birthday breakfast. Alonzo snuck up behind his mom and gave her a hug from the back, as she pretended to be surprised.

" Well, here you are." Mrs. Solace said with a proud smile. " We were staring to wonder if you had forgotten it was your birthday." Mr. Solace said as he let out a hearty laugh.

Alonzo shook his head with a look that said," Parents..." The day passed all to slowly for Alonzo. He couldn't wait until the evening when he would get to open his presents. Finally Mrs. Solace announced that the time had come. Alonzo quickly opened up the presents from his family and found many treasures underneath the wrapping paper. Soon there was but one present left and it was the biggest of them all. Alonzo had purposely saved it for the end. It was from his parents who always gave the best presents.

Alonzo slowly pulled on the bright red ribbon surrounding the box and then tore off the red, star covered wrapping paper. He opened the box and slowly pushed the tissue paper away from his newest treasure. There, at the bottom of the box was a new model spaceship. Alonzo pulled it out of the box and held it in his hands with a look of pure awe on his face. He stared at it for a couple of minutes and then he remembered he needed to say thank you to his parents. He put the spaceship in the box and ran to them. Alonzo gave each of his parents huge hugs and a kiss on the cheek for his mother. As his parents laughed, Alonzo ran back to his presents and preceded to fly the spaceship around the room.

Alonzo's mom looked over at her husband questionably. " Alonzo, isn't there something else in the box?"

Alonzo ran to the box again and dug to its bottom amid all the tissue paper. He pulled out a small replica of a planet.

" Mama?"
" Now you can fly your spaceship somewhere, Dimples." Mrs. Solace responded. Alonzo smiled and made Melinda hold the planet so that he could do just that.

Mr. Solace watched his son play with his new treasure. After a little while, he turned to his wife and said," You know, dear. I think our little boy is going to be a pilot someday."

Julia

Little Julia jumped out of bed and ran towards her bedroom door. It was her seventh birthday! Julia had all ready forgotten the pain that was last year's birthday. All she could think about was that today was her birthday and the doll, she was hoping she would receive. Julia had never owned a doll and she had never really wanted one. But two weeks before her birthday, that all changed.

Every once and a while, Julia's mother would take Julia with her when she went to work. Julia found it all very tedious, but at least she could get out of the quarters she called home. Julia wandered behind her mother as they made their way down the station's hallways towards Ms. Heller's office. She loved to look in the windows of the stores lining the hallways. Julia never wanted anything she saw, but she thought it was fun to look.

Today was like any other day. Julia's mother led the way with her chin up as if to tell the people around her that they were not worthy to be in her presence. Julia lagged behind her, but always making sure she kept her mother's proud back in sight. In between watching her mother up ahead, Julia glanced at the stores she passed by. Then she saw it. There, in front of her in the store window was the most beautiful doll Julia had ever seen. It was like no other. Instead of being dressed in some frilly princess gown, it had a white top and maroon pants on. It's blond hair was pulled up into a ponytail and it wore hiking boots on its feet instead of glass slipper. Julia wanted the beautiful doll the moment she laid her eyes upon it. She probably would have stood there staring at it forever if her mother hadn't missed her.

" Come on, Julia." Ms. Heller was very annoyed with her young daughter. What was she doing staring into store windows?

" Mother", Julia murmured," Look at the beautiful doll." " Don't be frivolous."
" But, doesn't she look like me?"
Ms. Heller took a quick glance at the doll. Disgusted, that her daughter was interested in it. " Yes and it is a pity." Ms. Heller pulled her daughter away from the window glass. " Come along, Julia. I don't want to be late. Don't waste my time looking at dolls."

" But..."
" I said, Let's go!"

It was Julia's birthday night. The happiness of the morning had been eroded away during the long, fun less, and dreary day. But Julia was not going to let anything get her spirits down. She slowly ate her dinner in silence, listening to her mother drone on about the *wonderful* things the Council had done that day. As dinner ended, Ms. Heller gave Julia no indication that she would receive any presents, so Julia wandered to her lonely bedroom and sat on the floor with her head in her hands.

She was extremely surprised when 20 minutes later, there was a knock on her door. Julia looked up to see her mother standing in her doorway. " Julia, don't you want to open your present?"

A small smile appeared on Julia's face. But inside she was wildly grinning. She slowly followed her mother into the living room of their quarters. Ms. Heller reached behind her desk and pulled out a brown paper bag. This she, unceremoniously, placed into Julia's waiting hands. Julia sat down on the hard wooden bench behind her and slowly opened the bag. Instead of finding a doll beneath the tissue paper, there was a strange looking glove with buttons and lights all over it.

Julia was confused. What could this strange looking contraption be? " Mother?", She asked.

" It is called a dia-glove. I thought it was time you started to prepare yourself for your future."

Julia looked at the glove and then at her mother. Slowly, she slipped the glove onto her hand and watched as the lights blinked.

In one fatal swoop, Julia's childhood had ended. Never to return.


Destiny, Part 2 - Glimpses of The Future
By Claire Campana

Alonzo

Alonzo walked down the long corridor of the stations. He had come home to talk with his parents. He knew it would be hard but they needed to know what he had decided to do with his life. Too soon, he arrived at his parents " front" door. After taking a deep breath, Alonzo knocked on the door. He heard a scurrying of feet on the other side.

Suddenly the door opened and Alonzo's mother stuck her head out." We don't want to buy anything," She said before taking a close look at the person in front of her." Oh, Alonzo. I'm sorry." She cried as a big smile formed on her face." Come in." After giving Alonzo a huge hug, she led him inside and bade him sit in one of the many chairs in the living room. She turned towards one of the bedrooms." Papa, guess who is here?"

Alonzo's father came rumbling out of one of the rooms. " Who comes at this hour of the day? I hope you didn't let them in." When Mr. Solace saw his son standing in front of him, he bellowed," Alonzo." He gave his son a huge hug.

" Hello Papa. Still want me to leave." Alonzo said with a twinkle in his eye.

" No. No. I was just talking." Mr. Solace shook his head and smiled at his son," How are you doing?"

" Fine, but there is something I need to talk to you guys about." Alonzo's smile turned bittersweet.

" Go ahead." Alonzo's father said.
" Mama, Papa. I don't know how to tell you this." " What is it, Alonzo."
" You know we will love you no matter what you say or do." Alonzo's mother said as his father nodded.

" I..." This was harder than Alonzo had thought it would be. His parents patiently waited for him to continue." I've decided to become a full time pilot." He finally blurted out.

" There's nothing wrong with that, Dimples." His mother smiled," Come on, let's go have dinner."

" I wasn't finished, Mom" Alonzo's mother sat back down and his father leaned forward in his seat. " I am going to become a cold sleep pilot." Alonzo saw his parents faces turn sad.

" Cold sleep missions... Why?" Mr. Solace asked. Alonzo looked down at his hands and then back at his parents faces. " I want more than just flying between ports and the stations. I want adventure and I can get it through cold sleep missions."

" But, Alonzo. You're one of the best pilots around." Alonzo rolled his eyes." Why give it all up?" Mr. Solace asked.

" I could be one of the best cold sleep pilots. I really want this, Papa. Mama. Please support me." Alonzo eyes pleaded for their understanding.

Alonzo's mother, who had not spoken since his announcement, said," We support you, Alonzo." She squeezed her husbands hand." I just hope you find happiness and true love somewhere during your travels."

Julia

Julia's mother was watching the news in front of her on her small computer and all of sudden broke out in laughter.

" What is so funny, Mother?" Julia asked. " Watch, Julia."
Before her eyes, Julia saw a replay of a small plane take off from the Earth and then crashing into the place it was intending to escape from. Julia didn't understand. " Mother?"

" That plane was full of families. They were trying to escape from the Earth and come to the stations without paying the usual price one has to pay to leave." She started laughing again," They got just what they deserved," She stated as the small plane crashed into the earth causing a great billow of fire and smoke. " They claim they were leaving for their children." The laughing started again.

Julia stared at her mother. How could she think the crash was funny? Many people had died. Families who should not have died. All they wanted was a chance for their children. " It's not funny." Julia whispered under her breath.

" What did you say?" Her mother demanded. Julia slowly began to walk out of the room. " I am talking to you. You answer me when I ask you a question!" She yelled, anger coming from her eyes.

" You want to know what I said? You want to know what I think? " Julia was mad and when she got mad, she lost all control. " I don't think it's funny at all. Many people died. People who shouldn't have died. " Julia was on a roll now and there was no stopping her. A voice deep inside warned her, but Julia kept yelling. " How can you think that was funny. It's tragic. Those people were leaving for their children. They wanted to give their children another chance. "

" How dare you talk to me like that?" Her mother bellowed. " You want to know what else? I doubt you even have a heart. Anyone who laughs at tragedy and human suffering can't have a heart. " Julia realized she had overstepped her boundaries and ran out of the room. But her mother was right behind her. She grabbed Julia's arm and swung her around towards herself.

" Don't' you dare talk to me like that, young lady. I am appalled at your behavior. Don't you ever talk like that to me again. Understand?"

" Yes." Devon whispered.
" What did you say?"
" Yes." She said a little more loudly. " Get out of my sight!"
Julia ran, never looking back.


Destiny, Part 3 - Choices Made
By Claire Campana

Alonzo

Devon Adair walked into the dimly lit and overcrowded bar. Usually, she wouldn't venture into a place like this one, let alone stay in it for a long period of time. But if this was where Solace wanted to meet her, this is where she would go. Devon walked through the smoke-filled room, coughing all the way, to a table in the darkness at the back of the bar. This was where Solace had said he would meet her. Devon hoped he wouldn't stand her up. She easily found the table and sat down across from Alonzo who flashed her one of his trademark grins.

Devon started to speak, but was quickly silenced by the hand Alonzo raised gesturing her to wait a minute. " Let's get our drinks first." Alonzo said. Misunderstanding her frown, Alonzo said," Don't worry. It's on me. "

After placing their drink orders, Alonzo started off the conversation Devon had been trying to start earlier. " Now, you said you had a cold sleep mission for me..." The waiter appeared at their table and gave its two occupants their drinks.

" Yes, I don't know how much you know about the Eden Project I am financing." Devon questioned Alonzo.

" I've heard about it. It sounds interesting. Care to fill me in on the details." Alonzo took a sip from his frothy glass of beer and carefully watched Devon's face.

Returning the look, Devon said, " No problem." She took a sip of her wine, cleared her throat, and started to fill Alonzo in on the details. " I would like you to fly our ship to a planet known as G889, 22 years away. You would fly us there and then return to the stations, unless you decide to stay." At the pilot's snort, Devon guessed this was most unlikely. " Any ways. You will receive three times the regular amount of pay than a regular cold sleep for this same duration of time." Devon ceased speaking and flexed her hands under the table as she waited for the pilot to make his decision. Patience wasn't one of Devon's strongest suits, in fact it was almost non-existent in her." It will definitely be worth your while."

Alonzo took a sip form his mug and said," When do we leave?"

Julia

She had to get away. She had to run. Julia couldn't stand it anymore. She had to find herself. She had to find out who she really was.

Julia shook her head, trying to rid herself of these thoughts. She was getting away. Just that morning, Dr. Vasquez had agreed to her going to G889. Julia was surprised at his decision to let her come. But don't look a gift horse in the mouth, she had thought at the time.

Julia continued to walk down the hallway of the large space ship, nodding hellos to the people she passed. But her mind was elsewhere. Julia knew when she agreed to go to G889, that her position as a doctor would be demoted. On this trip, she would be a junior member of the team. On the stations, Julia could have been a head doctor in one of the many practices run by council medical chromotilts. Julia didn't mind though. She wanted to be able to prove herself to someone and not be judged by the fact that her mother was a member of the Board of Regents. Julia wanted to be a doctor because the people knew she was qualified. This was her chance.

Finally, the door to the medical area of the ship appeared before her eyes. After taking a deep breath, Julia pushed open the door and ventured into the room before her. She was surprised to not find Dr. Vasquez sitting at the desk in the middle of the room. Julia wouldn't complain, but it was curious. Julia looked at the computer which listed the people on the ship. Dr. Vasquez wasn't even on the ship. Suddenly over the intercom, the voice of Devon Adair said, " Crew and passengers. Please prepare for departure." Julia couldn't believe her ears. Dr. Vasquez wasn't even on the ship yet!

Julia quickly made a call to the mission control area of the ship. An annoyed voice said, " Yeah, what do you want we're pretty busy right now. "

" This is Dr. Heller. Would you please tell Ms. Adair that Dr. Vasquez isn't on the ship yet?"

" Yeah, Sure." And the man cut the connection. Julia was worried now, but she had done all she could. Everything now rested in Ms. Adair's hands. She pushed back open the door into the medical area and started to head towards the area where Ulysses Adair was. He would need someone to check on him.


Destiny, Part 4 - New Beginnings
By Claire Campana

Together

Julia quickly walked the distance between the biodome and her tent. The last couple of weeks had been pretty tough on her. The group had been slowly restoring their confidence in her. Julia's words still met angry glares but there were a now a couple of bittersweet smiles. Julia had known that forgiveness from the group would be long in coming but she had hoped it wouldn't take this long. She stepped into her tent and headed towards her bed which beckoned her. Julia stretched herself out with her face facing upward towards the off-white tent above her head. She was closing her eyes, as if to go to sleep, when someone knocked on the tent flap which served as the door of Julia's tent.

" Yes?" Julia called as she opened her eyes. Alonzo stuck his head into the tent." May I come in?", he asked. " Sure," Julia smiled. Alonzo had been the only person to believe her and of all the Eden Advance members he had been the most forgiving and friendly. ' Are you all right?" Julia questioned him.

" Yeah." Alonzo smiled." I have something I want to say to you though.' " Oh?" Julia was curious. What on earth could Alonzo want to say to her? Julia gave him a small smile.

" I just wanted to say thank you. I was really cruel to you during the whole ordeal with my leg. But I am really grateful for what you did for me." At Julia's troubled face, Alonzo guessed that he had overstepped his boundaries. He started to head back to the tent door.

" Alonzo?" He turned around to see Julia standing up with one arm outstretched towards him. Alonzo walked back to Julia and took her hand into his. " Your welcome. But..." Julia's eyes turned downcast.

" But what?"
" I'm the one who should be saying thank you. You've been the only real friend I've had. The fact that you believed in me, really means more to me than you will ever know." Julia stared into the depths of Alonzo's eyes, searching for a clue as to what he was thinking.

" Oh Julia..." Alonzo gave her a hug and for once she did not pull away. He cupped her chin in his hand and brought her head up so that her could look into her eyes. In Julia's light blue eyes, Alonzo saw pain, loneliness, and maybe even love. Did he dare to hope that he saw love in her eyes? Alonzo looked at her beautiful face and realized he was in love with Julia. Somehow, someway he had fallen in love with her.

Alonzo saw the pain in her eyes and he wanted to kiss away her sadness. Did he dare? Should he take the chance that she may not love him. His thoughts were so muddled and confused.

Julia stared at the face in front of her. She was feeling a new emotion that she had never experienced before. It made her feel emotions that she had never known and made her want to do things that went against all of the things she had been taught. Could this be love? Could she be in love with this man whose strong arms held her close? As she looked into Alonzo's eyes, Julia knew. She loved this man. But could he... could Alonzo possibly love her? Did she dare to hope that he might?

Alonzo slowly brushed the hair from her face. Julia's skin tingled where his hand touched. Alonzo lowered his lips to hers and as they touched, Julia and Alonzo realized that no matter how different they were and no matter how different their lives had been, they were in love. Their lives, forever, intertwined.

-The End-


All comments, criticism, and offers to squeeze me into your suitcase for the con are welcome at ClaireG889@aol.com.

Claire

Solace Swooner                 Baines Bunny
Heller's Angel                 DreamWalker, Terrian Alliance
The Napkin Goddess             Alonzo and Julia in '96

Official Alonzo Solace Historian at Grendler U. Co-Owner of The Moon Cross Bookstore
One of Rizzo's Little People

This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.