LOVE CONQUERS ALL
By
Claire Campana


Timeline: Years after
Author's E-Mail: ClaireG889@aol.com


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
This is a story I have been working on for what seems like forever. :) I hope you all enjoy it and all comments are welcome. It is my first story, so please be kind. This story take place after the group has reached New Pacifica, the Colony ship has arrived, and the children are healed. As I said before all comments are welcome.

Thanks to Paula Sanders. (It really meant a lot to me that you were willing to read and help me with my story. You kept me going when I was having a really hard time with it.)

Thanks to Devery Christ. ( Thanks Debo! Your the best friend I could have.Thanks for helping me even though you had no clue what I was talking about. :) Clairabelle)

This story is dedicated to Julie Hall. You were there when I needed you and that means a lot to me.

Now to the story. :)


Love Conquers All, Part 1
By Claire Campana

We have reached our ultimate goal and now all of us are numb with relief. But with our relief comes an ignorance of adversaries ahead.
Morgan Martin

Julia was dreaming. It was dark, very dark. Julia could hardly see where she was going and what was ahead of her. At the sound of footsteps behind her, Julia started running not knowing what was following her but knowing she couldn't let it catch her. Julia ran . Her arms outstreched to prevent her from bumping into anything. She ran until she bumped into what felt like a person. Julia looked closer hoping to see a friendly face. Suddenly a bright light was shone, and with light crowning his head, the terrifying face of Reilly could be seen. Julia screamed and heard the chilling laugh of Reilly enter her ears. As she cried out in terror, Julia heard Reilly restate his terrifying prophesy, " You'll die running."


New Pacifica was a busy, but happy town. The children had all been healed. As they ran through the " growing" town, adults would stop and smile. The general consensus would have been that life was good and the future was bright. But under this veil of happiness, there were some who worried and were scared. Julia Heller was one such person. She had not forgotten Reilly and his plans for her. Julia kept her feelings to herself and Alonzo on some rare occasions, but sometimes she found herself looking over her shoulder in worry. Julia would notice people watching her and wonder what they were thinking. Did they stare at her because they were in awe that she had saved their children? Were they just watching everyone and not just her? Or was it more than that? Did they work for Reilly? This thought chilled Julia to the bone. As the days passed, Julia found herself, subconciously, keeping track of the number of times she caught certian people staring at her. The results scared her. Julia decided she was needlessly scaring herself. Therefore she did not share her fears with anyone, even Alonzo.


The Eden Project tried to meet at least once a week. This way they could keep their friendships alive. Besides they were usually so busy during the week that they rarely got a chance to see, let alone talk to each other. The group looked forward to these get togethers every week. Tonight it took place at Alonzo and Julia's small but love filled home. Alonzo and Julia had been one of the first couple to build a house. Julia had been suprised to see how enthusiastic Alonzo had been and was about their house. They were both very happy and very much in love.

In small groups, the members of the Eden Project filtered in. Julia quickly sat everyone down and got them all something to eat and drink with the help of Bess. Everyone just fit into the small living room. Devon smiled as she looked around the room and saw all of her friends. She smiled when she saw Danziger reprimanding teenage, True. The smile was ever present as Devon looked at each of her friends in turn. Morgan was munching on cookies as Bess told him not to eat so many. Walman and Baines were obviously arguing while Uly listened with a smile and Yale frowned. Devon's eyes finally rested on the groups resident lovebirds Julia was giggling as Alonzo whispered in her ear. In a becoming more common show of affection in public, Julia gave him a kiss on the cheek. The minutes passed and the group talked about old times and what was going on now.

In the midst of a heated discussion, someone could be heard despertly knocking at the door. Julia quickly got up and opened the door. A man who looked about her age stood at the door. He asked," Are you Julia Heller?"

" Yes, I am," Julia said with a smile. " May I come in? There is something I must talk to you about immediatly. It is very important!" The man glanced over Julia's shoulder.

" Of course, come in here." Julia gestured him to come into the already crowded living room. The young man nervously looked around at the other people in the room.
" It's all right. These are my closest friends," Julia said as she sat down next to Alonzo, who put his arm around her.

" My name is Mathew Courney, but that is a name you should forget. Do not tell anyone my name or say that you've seen me. It would be disasterous for not only for me but also for you and your families. " Julia was slowly becoming paler. " I work for the Resistence. I have come to warn you, Julia." Mathew saw a look of surprise and then terror come over Julia's previously smiling face.

" The Council?" Julia whispered.
Alonzo pulled Julia to himself when he heard Mathew say," Yes." The smiles that had been on the group's faces quickly disappeared. They were replaced by pained expressions. Julia had her eyes closed and Alonzo was worridly looking at her.

Mathew gave them all a chance to catch their breath before he continued, " The Council had three men and two women, one which is the leader, on the Colony ship. When they arrived they were given orders to watch you."

" Reilly," Julia said in a pain filled voice as she opened her eyes. Julia was trying desperatly not to cry. Alonzo rubbed her arm to comfort her.

" But now the orders have changed. They have been ordered to find and capture you." Mathew continued.

Everyone knew what else the fivesome had most likely been ordered to do and it scared them. Julia was having a hard time keeping her fears hidden. She was shaking now in Alonzo's strong arms. He was whispering in her ear trying to soothe her.

Mathew continued to talk even though he knew no one wanted to hear what he was going to say. " When the Resistence became aware of this, we knew we must tell you."

" What do you want me to do?", Julia asked with a sigh. " We suggest you go into hiding until we find a way to dispose of the fivesome. You would be much safer this way. We also suggest you have some of your friends move into your house. This way you will have something to come back to. I must go now. I have been here too long. Don't try to contact me but I will be watching."

" Thank you," Julia said with overwhelming sadness. The others said goodbye for her because Julia was not capable of it. She had a terrifying feeling that she would never see Mathew Courney again.

After Mathew left, the group remained silent for a while. Finally John broke the ice," 'Lonzo, Julia, True and I will stay in your home
if you want."

" Thanks John," Alonzo said.
As the others talked amongst themselves, Devon whispered to John," Thanks for volunteering to stay in their house."

" It was nothing, Devon," John responded with a shrug. " No, I mean it. You are probably the best choice. You can be strong for Alonzo and Julia."

" I hope so," John replied.
The group soon stopped talking and concentrated on a more important subject. Where could Julia hide? Many put forth ideas that would have worked for a short time. But they needed a long term solution. As they were silent with thought, Alonzo watched Julia. He was very worried about her. She looked like she was on the verge of a breakdown. As Alonzo watched Julia, he realized he couldn't imagine his life without her. Julia was all that mattered to him. Without Julia, he would have nothing. Alonzo was brought back to the present by Uly's voice.

" I have an idea!" He cried.
Alonzo saw Julia open her eyes with hope. For both their sakes, he hoped Uly's idea would work. " What is it, Uly?" Julia said in a sad voice.

" What if you hid with the Terrians, Julia? I'm sure if I asked them, they would let you."

Alonzo saw a small smile creep onto Julia's face. She said, ' That's a great idea, Uly." Julia got up and gave Uly a kiss.

" Oh, Alonzo. You've got competion now." Walman said with a grin. That broke the sadness in the room. Everyone was hopeful and excited. " I'll ask the Terrians tonight," Uly said. " Uly, do you think you could ask them before that? It would be safer for Julia to go into hiding tonight." Bess asked.

" I could try."
" Here, Uly. You can sleep in our bedroom," Julia said. She then led him down the hallway to their bedroom.


" There he goes," One of the five said as Mathew Courney left Alonzo and Julia's home.

" I don't know," another said,"But I think we should keep an eye on him." " Agreed." Their leader said.
" Do you think he warned her about us?" One of the them said with a angry face as he thought about Julia.

" If she is gone tomorrow, we know he did." " Then he will be punished accordingly." their leader said.


Uly was dreaming. He saw a blank horizon. Uly could not see any Terrians. But he knew they were there, he just had to call them. Uly quietly trilled. Out of the ground came two Terrians. Uly knew he did not have much time so he got right to the point. " My friend, Julia, is in danger. She needs a place to hide. Can she hide with you?"

The taller Terrian looked at his companion and then back at Uly. " We do not want to be involved, but we do know a place where she can hide."

The Terriens led Uly to a series of caves and tunnels. Uly recognized them as the caves near the outskirts of New Pacifica. Uly turned and said," Thank you." But the Terrians had already departed.

Uly woke up from his dream quickly. He went into the other room to find Julia and tell her the good news.


" Julia!" Uly cried as he ran back into the living room. The room was instantly quieted.
" I know a place where you can hide!"

" Where, Uly?" Devon quickly exclaimed, smiling proudly at her son. " The Terriens showed me a series of caves and tunnels that you can hide in, Julia."

A glint of hope entered Julia's heart and eyes. " Where are these caves and tunnels, Uly?" Alonzo asked. " They are on the outskirts of New Pacifica." Uly responded. " Thank you, Uly," Julia said with a small smile. " Well, let's get going. It would be safer for you to leave tonight, Julia, rather than during the day," Devon said.

"Ok, I'll go get the stuff I'll need." Julia said as she started to walk out of the room.

" I'll get mine too," Alonzo said. Julia, literally, stopped in her tracks.

" Alonzo? " Julia asked with confusion. " Well, I need to get my stuff too since I'm coming with you, Julia." Alonzo wondered what Julia was so confused about.

" Since when are you coming with me?" Julia asked in a scared but angry voice.

" Julia, there is no way I am going to let you go alone." Alonzo said in a stern voice.

" Alonzo, you can't come with me."
" Why not? I won't let you go alone." " Please, Alonzo. You can't." Julia said in a pleading voice as the tears threatened

" Why not, Julia? Tell me."
Everyone was now watching Julia. No one could understand why she did not want Alonzo to come with her. Everyone had thought that would have been a given.


Love Conquers All, Part 2
By Claire Campana

" Because..." Julia said in a small voice. She wouldn't even look at Alonzo.

" Why?" Alonzo demanded.
" Because I don't want to watch you die. I don't want you to die because of me." Julia said as a tear ran down her cheek.

" Julia..." Alonzo said with a sigh and a worried face as he pulled Julia into his arms.

Devon felt like her heart was breaking. She had a feeling that Julia had already given up and it scared her.

" Julia, I once promised you that I would not let anyone hurt you." After Julia's small nod, Alonzo continued, " I aim to keep that promise."

" Oh Alonzo, I don't doubt you. But I know the Council, they will try to hurt me by destroying the thing that matters the most to me. That's you." Julia was by now having a extremly difficult time keeping her tears inside.

" I would much rather die protecting you than live without you." Alonzo calmly responded. Julia stared at him with wide eyes.

" Besides Julia, who says either of you will die," John said. Everyone in the
room nodded and Julia knew she was defeated.

" Fine, I will go get OUR stuff ready." Julia responded as she pulled herself from Alonzo's arms. With that she left the room with a walk of defeat.

" We better go get our stuff too, True-Girl," John said, ruffling True's hair, " We'll be back in a little while."

With that the Danzigers left and headed toward their quarters.


" Where are they going?" The fivesome's leader said as she saw John and True leave Alonzo and Julia's house, " One of you should follow them."

Thus one of the five followed the Danzigers away and back to Alonzo and Julia's home.


Julia looked through the two small bags she had packed. Had she packed everything Alonzo and her would need? Finally deciding she had, Julia picked up the two bags and wandered into the living room. The talking stopped as Julia walked in. " I think I finished packing." Julia announced as she put down the bags.

" Here Julia," Bess said as she handed Julia a bag, " I put some food in this bag."

" Thanks, Bess" Julia responded with a smile as John and Walman walked up to Alonzo.

" Here Alonzo, you might need this." With that, John handed Alonzo a small pistol. Devon saw Julia shiver at this exchange. Everything was now ready, Julia and Alonzo were ready to leave. All that was left to do was to say goodbye. Julia gave everyone a hug remembering the past with each.

When Julia had finished, she said," I don't know how to thank you. You've all done so much for me. I love you all very much."

" We love you too, Julia," Bess said as Morgan put his arm around her shoulders.

" Yeah and you can thank us by coming home in one piece," Morgan said. " Thanks everybody." Alonzo said.
Devon and John led the couple to the door. They were going too. Devon and John not only were the couple's closest friends, but they were also going to be the ones who would bring them food and any supplies Alonzo and Julia might need. Besides Julia wasn't ready to say goodbye to them yet.

As the foursome left the house and quietly walked toward the outskirts of town, they were oblivious to the five sets of eyes watching them.


" I wonder where they are going," said one of the five. " Maybe she knows about us," one of the men said. " We should follow them. Then if she is going into hiding, we will know where," their leader said.

With that the fivesome followed the foursome from a distance.


The foursome walked quickly but quietly. " Those are the caves Uly told us about," Devon whispered as she pointed towards the caves.

The group hurried toward the caves with energy they didn't think they posessed.

" Well, here we are," John said as the group looked around at the caves. " There are so many caves and tunnels. I wonder which one we should hide in?"
Julia asked. With that the foursome preceded to scan the caves.

" Hold on a minute," Alonzo said. He rescanned the cave he was looking at. When the others came over to him, Alonzo continued," This cave is made up of several tunnels and smaller caves. It is almost like a maze."

" That sounds like a great place to hide." Devon said. The others agreed. " Night will be over soon, we better find you guys a good cave." John said.

The group lit their lumalights and ventured into the larger cave. They walked towards the back of the cave where they found a fairly good sized tunnel. As the foursome traveled foreward, Julia kept track of the caves and tunnels they were going down. Her notes were starting to look like a map.

As they were walking, they came to a small tunnel that split a little ways down.

" Lets try this one." Devon said.
So the group ventured down the small tunnel. A little ways further down, the tunnel veered to the right. As they all started to continue to the right, Alonzo excitivly said," Look." Alonzo pointed towards a hole, big enough for a man to climb through, to the left of the tunnel.

Julia walked up to the hole and shone her lumalight down it. She then turned and said, " Its a good sized tunnel that we could crawl through. It looks like it opens up a few meters down. I think we should try it." Julia looked around to see if they supported her.

" We might as well try it. It might be a good hiding place." John remarked.

Since everyone agreed with John, the foursome, with Alonzo leading, ventured down the tunnel. As Julia predicted, the tunnel opened up at its end. At the end was a fairly large room. As they entered the room, the foursome knew right away that this was the perfect place for Alonzo and Julia to hide.

" Well, I think we found our hiding place." Julia said in a quiet voice, bittersweet.

After putting their things down, the hardest part had come for Julia, saying goodbye.

" John, Devon, I don't know what to say. You both have done so much for Alonzo and I. I don't know how to thank you." Julia said as her voice cracked with unshed tears.

" It's nothing, Julia. We're your friends and friends help each other. And we don't want anything to happen to you. There isn't much we can do for you." Devon said.

" But at least now we know you're safe." John said. " Thank you," Julia said again.
" You guys are the best," Alonzo said. " We try," John said and everyone smiled. " Well as much as I hate to say it, we better get going," Devon said," We don't want anyone to see us near these caves."

Julia walked over to John and Devon and gave each of them a big hug, wishing she didn't have to say goodbye. Devon and John slowly made their way out of the chamber, Devon looked back once more at Julia and sighed.

John put his hand on Devon's shoulder and said," Don't worry, Devon. They'll be fine."

" I know, John. I just worry so much. If anything was to happen to either of them, I really don't know what I'd do."

" I feel the same way, Devon. Julia and Alonzo have become family to me," John said as Devon nodded her headin agreement. " But stop worrying, I know they'll be fine! Come on, we better get going." The two friends slowly made their way out of the cave into the sunlight.


The fivesome watched as Devon and John made their way out of the cave. " They left the other two inside. This must be where she and her companion are hiding," One of the men said.

" When do we attack?" Another man asked. " We will get the traitor tomorrow evening. We have some unfinished buisness to take care of first." The group's leader said with a cruel smile.

The fivesome quickly made their way back to town.


The day passed slowly for Devon. As she went through her day, Devon's thoughts were always with Julia and Alonzo. She worried constantly about the twosome. Finaly the evening came and Devon and John made their way towards the caves. Devon was pratically dragging John along behind her.

" Devon, we don't have to go so fast. Julia and Alonzo aren't going anywhere." John said.

" I know, I'm just so worried about them." Devon said, still pulling John along. " Come on," she called to him.

Finaly, they reached the caves. Devon and John slowly winded their way through the tunnels. " Can't go to fast in here, Adair," John commented.

" I know," Devon said with a frown. " I hope we never have to get to their hiding place too quickly." John frowned at Devon's words. " Well here we are," Devon announced as they reached Alonzo and Julia's hiding place.

John slowly pushed away the large rock that was blocking the entrance. Devon and John slowly crept down the tunnel. As they entered the cavern, Alonzo was right there pointing his gun at them and telling Julia to get back.

" Hey, lower the gun, 'Lonzo." Joh said. " Sorry, man. Never can be too safe," Alonzo said as he lowered the gun. " How are you guys doing?" Devon asked. As Alonzo wrapped his arms around her, Julia said with a sad smile," We're doing fine, Devon."

" Good, here we brought you some food." Devon answered. " Thanks."
" Where do you want me to put it." Devon asked. " Here, I'll show you," Julia replied and then beckoned for Devon to follow her.

Once Devon and Julia were out of hearing range, John turned to Alonzo and said," How's Julia holding up?"

Alonzo sighed," She's really scared. She tries not to show it but I know." John frowned as Alonzo continued," The way she clings to me at night. And then last night woke up to hear her crying. I tried to comfort her and for a while she was fine but then she just gets scared again. I don't know what to do to help her."

" Just be there for her, man. Tell her how much you love her as often as possible. Never let her forget it."

" I don't intend too." Alonzo said as Devon and Julia walked up to them. John and Alonzo couldn't help but notice Julia's red eyes and Devon's arm around Julia's shoulders.

" We better go, Devon. We should get back to New Pacifica." John said even though he didn't want to.

" We'll come back tomorrow." Devon said. After saying their goodbyes, Devon and John made their way out of the cavern and our of the tunnel. As they stepped out of the cave into the night, Devon's gear started frantically beeping. Devon put on her gear and said," Devon here."

Devon immediatly saw Bess's worry filled face. " Devon, we were so worried about you and John. I have been trying to contact you for almost an hour now."

" We were visiting Alonzo and Julia. What's wrong, Bess." John asked. " Mathew Courney is dead." Bess blurted out. Devon's hand flew to her face in disbelief, she looked at John, who was just as surprised as her. " Mathew was found about an hour ago. He was brutally murdered." Bess said with sadness and anger.

" Oh my god." Devon said, horror stricken. " You should probably come back to New Pacifica now." Bess said. " We're on our way." John said before he turned off his gear. Devon and John immediately started jogging towards town.

" It must have been the Five. I can't think of anyone else who would kill Mathew." John said as Devon nodded her agreement. He continued, " I wonder how they found out about him?" John was talking to Devon but she was not listening to him. Devon's thoughts were with Julia and Alonzo. Would they be safe? That one question kept running through Devon's head.

"Devon? Devon?!" Devon heard John calling her. "Uh, what?" She responded coming back to her senses. "Are you all right?" John asked worriedly."You looked like you blanked out on me."

"I was just thinking about Julia and Alonzo." John sighed, understanding. John and Devon fell silent, both not wanting to talk about the fears they harbored inside. John was worried about what would happen if the five attacked Julia and Alonzo. The more he thought about it, the more worried John became. It had dawned on him that if the five did attack, Julia and Alonzo did not stand much of a chance. Devon, on the other hand, was more worried about Julia's psychological state. She remembered how close Julia had been to breaking down as they were talking in the cave. Julia was scared, not for herself but for Alonzo. She was scared something woould happen to Alonzo because of her and if the worst happened, Devon knew Julia would never forgive herself. But Devon also knew Alonzo felt the same way about Julia. That was love.

All too soon, Devon and John arrived at New Pacifica. Devon was dreading seeing Mathew Courney in his present state. She didn't want to expirience the sadness that would go along with seeing him. But she knew it had to be done. It was her duty.

As they reached the hospital, Bess ran out to greet them. " Thank god, you guys got here safely. We were starting to worry about you," she said.

" We're fine," John siad," How's everyone else doing?" " We're all just a little shaken up," Bess said, " But other that that, we're fine."

" Where's Mathew?" Devon asked, getting right to the point. Bess sighed. " I'll show you. Follow me," She said as she turned and headed towards the entrance of the hospital. Devon and John silently followed Bess down the new hospital's hallways. Finally, Bess stopped at one of the doorways. " He's in there," Bess said. Devon and John could easily tell that Bess did not want to go in the room and see Mathew again. Devon sighed, inwardly, dreading going into the room.

" Ready, Devon?" John asked.
" Yeah, let's get this over with," Devon said. John slowly pushed open the door and led Devon into the room. As they entered the room, Devon felt a chill go thorugh her bones, she could almost smell the death in the air. They made their way towards a bed in the center of the room, where a body was layed out. Devon and John slowly walked up to the body with heavy hearts and they looked at the body. A wave nausia, then horror, pain, and immense sadness hit them.

After a glance at the card hanging at the end of the bed, Devon said," He was stabbed five times."

John turned to Devon and said," Once for each of the five." Devon sighed and said," Let's go find the others." With one last glance at Mathew, Devon and John left the room and walked to the waiting room where the Eden Advance members were sitting. the silence was deafening. Everyone was lost in his or her own thoughts.

Devon's thoughts were," Mathew must have been killed by the five. Five stab wounds, five people. How could the five have known about him? How?" Suddenly it came to her. Devon suddenly outbursted," Oh my god!" She cried as everyone in the room turned to look at her. " If the five knew about Mathew, they must know about Julia!"

John immediatly took action." Baines, Walman, Morgan, Magus, Cameron. Get weapons! We have to go find Julia! Meet Devon and I in front of the hospital in two minutes. Go!" The men and Magus quickly ran out of the room. " Bess, keep your gear on at all times. We'll try to contact you if we find Julia." Devon grimaced and Bess nodded. " Come on, Devon! Let's go find those guys." They quickly ran out of the hospital. When they reached the men, Walman gave John and Devon each a weapon and they all took off at a run for the caves.

They ran and jogged the distance between New Pacifica and the caves. As every minute passed, Devon and the others became more and more worried. Would they get to Julia and Alonzo in time? That one question was pounding unrelentlessly inside their heads.

Finally the group reached a small ridge overlooking the small valley the caves were in. As the others were about to run down the ridge to the caves, John called to them," Wait!" As he pulled out his jumpers.

" No, John. We have to go find Julia and Alonzo!" Devon said, visibly annoyed.

" I know, Devon. but I thought I saw something near the entrance of the caves." John scanned the cave's entrance with his jumpers. The others, literally, tapped their feet with annoyance.

" They're here, Devon!" John said as he headed towards the edge of the ridge.

" Who?! Who's here?!"
" I can see the five entering the caves now! Come on!" John replied as her stared running down the ridge towards the caves. When they reached the entrance, they drew their weapons and turned on their lumalights. They knew the five had a head start on them, but they hoped they'd have the advantage because Devon and John knew their way. They cautiously ran thorugh the caves praying that they would reach Julia and Alonzo in time. They ran for what seemed like hours, when suddenly a scream pierced the silence. Devon, John, and the others stopped in their tracks. They knew who had screamed and they also knew Julia would not scream unless she or someone she loved was in serious danger. Julia wouldn't scream if it wasn't important.

" Come on," Devon said in a rushed voice," We can still save Julia if we get to her in time." With that, she headed in the direction of the scream, not waiting to see if they were following her. the group ran to catch up wiht Devon.

Finally they reached the former hideout of Julia and Alonzo. The room was filled with dust. John figured it must have been shaken up during some sort of struggle. It soon became obvious to the group that the five had all ready left. Devon wanted to make sure Alonzo or even Julia hadn't been left behind. The group split up and searched the cavern.

Suddenly Morgan cried out," I've found Alonzo!" Devon and the others rushed over to him.

" Is he alive?" Devon whispered, as she looked Alonzo's motionless body.


Love Conquers All, Part 3
By Claire Campana

John quickly felt for a pulse, he let out a sigh of relief when he found one. " He is alive," John said. Huge sighs of relief with a few Thank Gods could be heard. " It looks like he was knocked out." John guessed.

"Is it serious?" Devon frowned.
" I don't know, but we better get him back to the hospital quickly." With that John picked up Alonzo with Baines's help.

As they headed towards the exit, Walman cried out," Devon, you better see this."

John nodded to Devon, and she headed towards Walman. When she saw what he was pointing to, her hand flew to her face in shock. In front of her was a pool of blood containing Julia's gear.

" What have they done to her?" Devon askled in a voice of pure pain. " Julia must have really put a fight. They were just to much for her though. " Walman replied in a heavy voice.

Devon turned away, not wanting Walman to see the tears threatening her eyes. John came back to where Devon and Walman stood. He had left Alonzo with Baines and Magus while Morgan called Bess to tell her what had happened. John didn't need to say anything when he saw the scene before him. He put his hand on Devon's shoulder and lead her towards the exit of the cave with Walman following.

The walk home was long and silent. No one wanted to talk about what had happened. It hurt too much.


When they reached New Pacifica, they were greated by the Eden Advance members who had not gone. One look at Alonzo was all it took for the others realize what had happened. True and Uly ran to their respective parents. John and Devon eagerly recieved hugs from their kids. After Uly had stepped out of his mom's arms and looked at the returning party, he asked," Mom, where is Julia?"

A wave of great sadness and pain came over the adults at the inocence of the child's question.

" Uly," Devon said as she lowered herself to his height. " We did not find Julia. We dont' know where she is."

" We'll find her though, Uly." John said with as much confidence he could must, reassuring even himself.

The silence was defeaning. they stood there in the silence, not knowing what to say, lost in their own thoughts. What was there to say, Devon thought, they had pretty much failed Julia. Devon was determined to find Julia though. She owed it to her.

Over the silence, came the sounds of a man in pain. Alonzo was quietly murmering to himself. In the silence, he was easily heard. " No, not my Julia. I'll save you, I swear. I won't let them hurt you. No!" Devon ran over to Alonzo

" Come on, let's get him to the hospital. I think he's waking up." John ran to the hospital, with Alonzo in his arms, as fast as he could. The others quickly followed at his heels.


Alonzo woke with a start. He looked around him. Everything was fuzzy, but he could tell he was not in the cave. Alonzo blinked his eyes a couple of times, getting rid of the fuzz. He finally realized where he was. This was the hospital in New Pacifica. Devon and John had found him, they'd probably found Julia too.

" Alonzo. Alonzo, how are you?" Devon worriedly asked. " I feel a little groggy." Alonzo scanned the rest of the room, looking for that one face he longed to see. Where was his Julia? " Devon, where's Julia?" Alonzo saw a look of pure pain come over Devon's face. He knew what that meant. " Nooooo." he cried, all composure lost.

" Alonzo, I'm so sorry." Devon said as a few tears came down her face. Alonzo didn't even try to hide the tears rolling down his face. Even though he knew if he didn't try to stop them, he'd drown. What was the point? " Devon, we have to save her! They'll kill her!"

" We know, Alonzo." John continued, " We wanted to make sure you were all right before we started looking. Care to tell us what happened?"

Devon frowned at John. " Alonzo, if you don't feel comfortable telling us now, you can tell us later," Devon said with compassion.

" No, Devon, I better tell you now." Alonzo closed his eyes for a moment, took a deep breath, and began to tell his horror story. " After the two of you left, Julia and I weren't that hungry, so we decied to go to sleep. I couldn't fall asleep, so I just layed there awake, holding Julia. At about 10:00 PM, I thought I heard something outside the cave. I untangled myself from Julia to get my pistol. Of course she woke up.

" What's wrong, Alonzo?' Julia asked. " Nothing, I just thought I heard something. Don't worry, it's probably nothing." I added as I saw fear enter Julia's eyes.

I heard what sounded like someone moving the rocks blocking the entrance of our cavern. The the noise stopped and I figured whoever it was had left. I turned to Julia and told her to go back to sleep, everything was fine. At first, I didn't think she would listen to me, but after staring at me for about a minute, she layed down."

Alonzo stopped and put his head in his hands. " You're doing great, man." John said. " Alonzo, we're here for you but we need to know what happened," Devon said. Concern was written all over her face. She could only guess how hard it was for him to be retelling an event that was one of the worst things that had ever happened to him.

Alonzo ran his hand through his hair and after what seemed like an eternity, continued," Julia was just about to fall asleep." Alonzo smiled as he remember his love falling asleep and how beautiful she had looked. His smile turned to a sad grimace as he remembered what happened next. " I smiled and thought about going to sleep myself, everything seemed fine. I rested my hand on Julia's shoulder and had just closed my eyes. When out of nowhere, a shot was fired and barely missed me. I opened my eyes to see five people rushing into the cavern with guns in their hands. I grabbed my pistol and pushed, a now awake and terrified, Julia behind me.

She said to me in a shaky voice, " Alonzo, there's too many of them. There's no way you can kill all of them. Fight your way out of here and run!" " What about you, Julia?" I asked as I dodged another bullet. " Don't worry about me. All I care about is that you're safe." " Julia, I am not letting them take you without putting up a

fight. I could never forgive myself if I didn't." I said this without looking at her and when I was finished, I began to shoot at our five adversaries. I made a vow to myself and to Julia, that as long as I was standing, I would not allow them to as much as lay a finger on my Julia.

We put up a good fight, but it was pretty much impossible for us to succeed. I ran out of bullets for my pistol and that's when I think I knew we were defeated. Somehow, one of them snuck up behind me and hit me over the head. As I lost conciousness, I heard Julia scream. That's all I remember." Alonzo said as he stared at his hands and a single tear escaped his eye. Devon's thoughts were with Julia. What she must be going through right now...

Alonzo continued talking," Could I have done something? Could I have saved Julia? I should have been able to save her." Alonzo was now on the verge of breaking down.

" Alonzo, you did everything you could. You couldn't have saved her. We'll find Julia. I swear it to you." John said passionatly.

" I have no doubt, we will find her. But will we be too late?," Alonzo whispered.


The rock hit her and drew more blood from the already bleeding wound. he slapped her face, causiing her eyes to sting with tears. Again and again they hit her, her body screamed, but she would not give in. She must hold on. " Think of Alonzo, Julia," She told herself, " Hold on for Alonzo. "


Devon and John stayed in the hospital with Alonzo that night. He had been distraught with grief and they thought it would be better if they stayed with him. John knew, from his own personal expirience, it was better fro Alonzo if someone was with him.

Devon hadn't been able to sleep that night. All she could think of was Julia. Devon didn't want to think about what Julia was going through right now, but she couldn't help herself. The more she tried to push these thoughts out of her head, the more they snuck in. Devon knew Julia must be going through hell right now. Even forgetting the fact that she was probably going through great physical trauma, what about her mental state? Devon knew Juluia must be blaming herself for what had happened to Alonzo. She had been so worried about what might happen to him and now that her worst nightmere had come true, Julia must be furious at herself.


" Well, she's finally out," One of the men said. " She lasted longer that I thought she would," Another said. They all turned and laughed at Julia. She layed in a pool of blood, knocked out.

As they laughed, their leader said," When she comes around, we will continue questioning her. Maybe this time she will be a little more coopertive." With that, the five walked away, leaving Julia laying there in her own blood.


Devon and John watched Alonzo wake up. he pushed the sleep out of his eyes and looked at them. As Alonzo remembered where he was and what had happened, he felt a single tear escape his eyes. He quickly pushed it away and spoke of a topic more important. The tears could wait. " Well, Devon, where do we start?"

" Do you feel well enough to travel?" Devon directed her question to Dr. Vasquez who walking into the room.

" Alonzo can travel. His head injury was not that serious. If he doesn't push himself, Alonzo should be fine," Dr. Vasquez informed them.

" Thanks, Doc." Alonzo said. Then he remembered the last person he had said that to. Alonzo pulled himself out of the bed and pushed that thought out of his head. He wasn't helping Julia, lying in bed, thinking about her.

Devon, John, and Dr. Vasquez left Alonzo so he could he could get dressed and collect his emotions. As Alonzo buttoned his pants, he put his hand in his pocket before he opened the door to leave. As Alonzo put his hand on the knob of the door, he flet something in his pocket with his other hand. Curious, he pulled the object out of his pocket. It was a small silver ring. At first, Alonzo wasn't sure whose it was. But as he held it up to the light and looked at it more closly, Alonzo realized it was Julia's silver ring. That was all that it took. The tears had been threatening to expose themselves up to then came pouring out of Alonzo's eyes as he sank to the floor.

John and Devon entered the room. They had wondered what was taking Alonzo so long. As they entered the room, Devon and John saw Alonzo on the floor slumped up against the bed with his head in his hands.

" Alonzo..." Devon started but a look from John silenced her. Sometimes just letting the tears flow was more helpful than talking. They would wait until Alonzo was done to talk, John thought.

Devon and John did not have long to wait. Despite his tears, Alonzo handed Devon, Julia's ring. Devon gasped and John lowered his head. Through his tears Alonzo said, " She must have put it in my pocket when I wasn't looking yesterday. Probably when we were attacked."

" She wanted you to have it, in case..." John started. This time it was Devon who stopped him from continuing," Don't say it John, don't say it!"

Alonzo wiped the tears from his eyes with the back of his hand. " I'm all right now, Devon. Let's get going."

" It'll make you feel better to go and look for her. It's better to do something than just sit here." John said, remembering Elle's death and the days after it.

John led Devon towards the door, Alonzo said," Hold on a minute." He took Julia's ring and slipped it on his pinky finger," Ok, I'm ready now."


The next couple of days passed too quickly for the threesome. It seemed like they were looking in all the wrong places. All of the places they looked were busts. They spent the first day mostly at the caves. They hoped since this was where Julia and Alonzo had been hiding, maybe the five would be hiding here. They were of course very disappointed to see no signs that anyone had been to the caves after Devon and John had found Alonzo.

The next couple of days were filled with disappointement, sadness, and deteriorating hopes.

Even though Devon would never give up looking for and believing in Julia, she was beginning to have doubts that they would ever find her.

John would never give up on finding Julia. His heart was aching for Alonzo. John knew what it was like to lose the person you love the most in the world. At least when he lost Elle, John knew she was dead and he couldn't have done anything for her. None of this was true for Alonzo. He didn't know where Julia was, let alone if she was still alive. Alonzo would always have a pain in his heart when he thought about how his Julia was taken away from him and he would probably always blame himself, regardless of whether it was his fault or not.

Devon and John both knew how miserable Alonzo was. It pained them both. But with that pain came a great fear of what Julia must be going through. It was this pain and fear that drove them forward.


Uly and True slowly climbed up the sand dune. They had decided to look for Julia themselves. The adults weren't including them, so True and Uly decided to take matters into their own hands.

" True," Uly quiered," Where are we going?" Uly was getting a little annoyed. True was dragging him somewhere, but she wouldn't tell him where.

" You'll see." True said. She was enjoying this. " Come on, True" Uly said as he threw a stone into the sky towards the ocean.

" God, you really don't know what patience is do you?!" Uly made a face." Fine, I'll tell you. I don't want to hear you whine." True threw a rock too and then continued," You remember how we camped overlooking the sea?" At Uly's nod, she continued," Well, I remembered we built a small compound to store things before we started the colony."

Uly was catching on, " You think the five are keeping Julia there." " Yeah, don't you think it's a good idea?" True asked enthusiastically.


Love Conquers All, Part 4
By Claire Campana

" It's a great idea. The adults will be really happy if we find Julia," Uly said.

" I'll race you?" True challenged Uly, after they had walked a little farther.

" Your on!" Uly said as they raced up the ledge. True had a slight lead when they reached the top of the ledge. Uly saw True stop suddenly.

" Stop, Uly" She said to him.
" Why?!"
" Listen!" True said as she pushed him down to the ground. They both crouched on the ground.

Suddenly, a scream pierced the silence. Uly looked at True with the question in his eyes, she nodded a affirmative back to him. True looked out onto the plain that was spotted with a only a few trees and boulders for Julia. Suddenly she spotted about three men crowded around something or someone. True nudged Uly and pointed the threesome out to him. They heard another scream and the men started to laugh. As the men walked off laughing, True and Uly could see Julia. She had her hand on her forehead, as if she was trying to stop the blood coming from her head. With her other hand, Julia looked to be wiping tears from her eyes.

True pulled out the jumpers she had snuck away from her dad. She aimed them towards Julia and gasped at what she saw. Julia's body was covered with bruises. She had a large, puffy, black eye and her head was bleeding. Julia's face was covered with cuts as were her legs and arms. Her once beautiful blond hair was matted and full of dried blood. True could tell Julia was in a lot of pain by the way she carried herself.

" True," Uly said and when she didn't answer," True!" " What?!"
" Don't you think we should go back now?" " Yeah, your probably right. Everybody is going to be so happy that we found Julia," True said as she took one last look at Julia. True saw Julia wipe the tears from her eyes. " Don't cry, Julia. You'll be safe soon, I promise." True whispered.

" What did you say? " Uly asked to True's weird looking face. " Nothing." To get the sadness out of her heart, True said," I'll race you home." She took off with Uly following closly at her heels, laughing.


John, Devon, and Alonzo gathered in Devon's small office. They were running out ideas and spirits were low. They sat in the office in silence. Every once in a while, one of them would come up with an idea and then reject it. They needed some good news very much, especially Alonzo. Their waiting was soon done.

As they were starting to discuss looking in the caves again, True and Uly came flying through the door. They were both out of breath from running and couldn't talk right away.

" What are you kids doing?" Irritated, John asked in a tense voice." Don't you know we're busy."

" Dad!" True said as she caught her breath," You don't understand!" John looked at her, confused. " We know where Julia is!"

The group was overcome with happiness. Alonzo got down on his knees in front of True and with renewed hope asked," Where is she, True? Did you see her?"

" Remember where we first camped when we reached New Pacifica?" Uly asked and after three nods, he continued," They have her there."

" Was she all right?" Alonzo asked, even though he was dreading the answer.

" She was alive." True said. Looking down at her hands and with a troubled face continued, " She didn't look that well though. She looked like she was hurt. I don't know what they did to her, but whatever it was it must have been very painful."

The room went silent. Each was lost in their own thoughts. After some time, John finally broke the silence, " Well, why are we just sitting here?" He looked at the others around him, who were lifting their downcast eyes.? We aren't helping Julia, just sitting here!" That seemed to "wake" everyone up and with renewed hope, they began to plan their rescue.

" True, Uly. Would you get Walman, Cameron, Baines, and Magus? I'll call the others." Devon said and the kids ran off, happy to be included.

Devon called Morgan and Bess, John contacted Yale, and Alonzo sat in the corner, nervously, twisting Julia's ring on his finger. When Devon and John had contacted everyone, they got to work thinking up a plan for their rescue atempt.

After a couple of miutes, the rest of the Eden Avance arrived. The once nearly empty office was now full, past capacity. But no one noticed.

As the people gathered, Devon and John finished working out the details for their plan. Finally it was time to start.

" Ok, people be quiet now." Joh said. Realizing he wasn't being listened to, John took a more dramtic approach. " Shut up! Now!" He yelled. That was much more effective.

Now that everyone was quiet, Devon took charge." As you all know, True and Uly found Julia." Happy responses echoed through the room. " She is being kept at our first camp we had when we reached New Pacifica. Before I go any farther and explain our plan, I want to make sure everyone wants to participate. This attempt will be dangerous and there is a chance that soemone could be hurt or even killed. Before you make your decision, I want you to really think about what your involving yourself in." Devon looked around at her friends, pleading in her eyes.

After letting them think it over for a few miutes, Devon asked," Would you now please raise your hands if your willing to help us, but most importantly Julia?" As soon as she finished, Devon saw the hands raise quickly. She looked around the room and was happy to see that every hand was up, including the kids. The group was pulling together to help another member of the group, just like they always had. " Thank you!" Alonzo said with almost a smile on his face.

" Your welcome, but you'd do the same for any of us." Baines said. " We're a family now and a family helps each other." Bess responded with a far away look on her face.

The group nodded their agreement and got ready to hear what Devon wanted them to do." Thanks everyone," Devon said," Now I'll explain to you what I want each of you to do. Uly and True, I want you to lead us to the camp the way you found it. It sounds like as if we could sneak up in them from there. As soon as you have lead us there, you two are to come back to New Pacifica with Yale."

" But Mom!" Uly whined.
" Uly..." Devon said with a look that said, Don't Test Me! "Yale, when you get back, I want you to get the hospital ready for when Julia arrives. Kids, I want you to tell Dr. Vasquez what you think is wrong with Julia from what you saw, ok?" Devon looked at True and then at Uly.

" Yes," They both sighed.
" Good, Bess, I would like you to be in charge of bringing a med-kit. Julia may need immediate medical assistance and I want to be ready for any forseen injuries. Is this all right with you, Bess?"

" Of course. I'll go get a med-kit now." Bess replied as she headed out the door.

Devon continued her briefing," When we reach the camp, we will break up into a sort of buddy systen. The twosomes will encircle the camp and at my command open fire. The groups are the following: Walman and Morgan, Magus and Cameron, Baines your wiht me. Any problems?" No one spoke up and Bess quietly opened the room. " Good, now Alonzo, I want you to get into the compound and find Julia. Danziger, watch his back and follow Alonzo in. Bess, I want you to stay with me, with the medical supplies ready. Any questions, problems, concerns?" Devon concluded, scanning the group with her eyes., No one spoke up. Devon continued," John, would you go get the weapons?" John nodded and headed out the door. " Now we will all be incontact via gear. Therefore, leave your gear on at all times." John entered the room and preceded to hand out weapons. " Now remember, our top priority is finding Julia, not killing all the Council people we can find. Capturing these people will be very beneficial, but our main goal is to find Julia. We must not let anything deter us from finding this."


" Tell us what you know about the boy." " No." Julia replied in a weak but determined voice. " I said tell us what you know about the boy." Julia's captors were becoming annoyed.

" No." Julia had decided a long time ago that she would never betray her friends even if it cost her her life.

" Tell me!" Julia's interrogator yelled at her. " I will never tell you anything that might hurt my friends!" Julia responded with as much courage as she could muster.

" Fool." The interrogator responded with a scowl. He stood up, nodded at the others, and stepped to the side to watch the ordeal Julia now faced.

The pain began, but Julia fought it. She tried to stay awake, but unconsiousness was so inviting. As she slipped into it, Julia's last thoughts were of Alonzo and what she was slowly losing.


The kids slowly led the adults up the sand dune. The sand was deep and hard to walk through. But it take them too long to reach the top. True reached the top of the dune first. She looked at the camp ahead with the jumpers she had brought as the others caught up to her. When they caught up to her, True informed them, " I don't see anyone in the camp. They must all be inside the compound."

" Thanks, True. We can probably sneak up on them easily." John said to Devon.

" Yeah. Ok, we better get going. Yale, would you take the kids home now?" Devon asked.

" Of course." Yale said.
Devon and John hugged their respective kids. " Dadddy, you be careful, Ok?" True asked with worry written all over her face.

" Of course, True. Don't worry about me." At True's still worried face, John said," This will all be over soon. Ok?" True nodded her head and gave her Dad another hug. She walked over to where Uly and Yale were saying goodbye to Devon. They hugged Devon once more and after a few minutes Yale led the kids down the sand dune, his arms around each of their shoulders.

Devon and John watched their kids walk out of their eyesight. Devon quickly got back to the matter at hand. She turned to the group and said, " Let's get into our groups now." Devon waited a minute for this to be done before she continued," Magus and Cameron, I would like you to go to those boulders over there." Devon pointed to some boulders a little more than twelve feet away from the compund. " Walman and Morgan, I would like you to go behind those trees on the other side of the compound. John and Alonzo, you should probably stay behind those trees and bushes over there. Don't open fire when I tell the others to. This way you can sneak in, unnoticed, Ok?" Alonzo and John nodded and Devon continued," You should all probably go to your designated places now. Remember though, don't open fire until I tell you and keep your gear on. Good luck and may we be successful." As he walked to his hiding place, John heard Devon barely whisper," Be careful, my friends."

Over the next five minutes, everyone safely reached their hiding places. Now they just had to wait. But not long. A few minutes after they had reached their hiding places, a man appeared from of the compound. Another three people stepped out of the compound into the sunlight. Devon waited to see if the last person came out of the compund before commanding her people to open fire. Her patience was rewarded. The final member of the five stepped out of the compund, leading Julia. Devon was appalled at Julia's appearance, as were Julia's other friends. Alonzo watched the woman he loved pushed around and bullied by the five. He looked at her and saw the blood, the bruises, and the pain she was obviously in. Anger and hatred welled up inside of him. John knew what was going on inside of Alonzo. He placed his hand on Alonzo's arm. Gesturing for him to calm down. The Eden Advance people watched as the five pushed Julia to the ground where she pulled her legs to her chest and waited. Devon looked at Bess and shrugged her shoulders in confusion. Bess was about to respond to Devon's gesture when one of the five began to talk to Julia. From where they sat, the Eden Advance members could hear everything that was said.

" Now, you weren't that cooperative yesterday. Think you can do a little better today?" Julia raised her head, looked at him, and lowered her head back to her knees.

The woman who seemed to be the leader said," You take her back inside." She gestured to one of the men. " See if she'll change her mind about talking."

Devon watched the man push Julia onto her feet and into the compund. This was their chance. " Get ready," She whispered into her gear. The four still outside, moved a little farther away from the compound and sat down. This is it! Devon thought. " Get ready," She said into her gear," Get ready...Ready...Fire!" A barrage of gun bullets was fired down upon the four unsuspecting Council members. They were caught completely off guard. By the time they grabbed their weapons, one of them had all ready been hit.

John and Alonzo watched the fight progress, waiting for their chance to get into the compound. When another of the Council members was fatally shot by Walman, Alonzo said," You ready to go in?"

" Whenever you are." John responded. Alonzo took a deep breath and said," Let's go in then."

Alonzo pushed himself out from behind the the bushes and looked to see if anyone saw him. When he saw no one was watching, he called Devon over gear and said," Devon, we're going in."

" Ok! I'll tell Bess to get the med-kit ready. Good luck." Devon responded.

" All clear, John." Alonzo said. With that, they ran across, the now battlefield. They reached the compound without incident. With guns drawn, Alonzo and John pushed open the door to the compund and cautiously walked in. The corrider was dimly lighted, so they slowly made their way down it. Every room they passed was checked, all unsuccessful. There were two rooms left. Alonzo went into the larger and John the smaller.

Alonzo pushed open the door He looked around the room but did not see Julia. He hoped John was having better luck. As Alonzo headed towards the door, he heard a faint whisper. " Alonzo. " It was weak but defiantly Julia.

" Julia," Alonzo exitivly asked, " Where are you?" " Over here, 'Lonzo."
Alonzo headed toward Julia's voice. Finally he saw her. She was laying on the floor behind a large crate in a small pool of blood coming from her leg. Alonzo lifted Julia up, not caring if he got blood all over him. It felt so good to have Julia in his arms again. He carried Julia to the center of the room, wrapping some cloth he'd found around her leg.

Suddenly the door opened. Thinking it was John, Alonzo didn't even look up. He said, " John, you better tell Bess to bring the med-kit."

" She won't be needing it." A unfamiliar voice responded. Alonzo looked up to see the man who had brought Julia into the compound before they opened fire. Now he was standing there, pointing a gun at Julia. Alonzo pushed himself in front of her. He wouldn't let anyone hurt Julia again.

" I suggest you get out of the way." The man said. " Never." Alonzo replied.
The man laughed, " Ha. You are just as foolish as your lover." All humor gone, the man glared at Alonzo and Julia," You are in love with a traitor. What makes you think she will not betray you? Once a traitor, always a traitor."

" I love her and I know she loves me. When you love someone, you trust them til the end. I would never hurt Julia and I know she would never purposly hurt me."

" You are both fools." The man said with a sneer. " No, you're the fool." John said, standing in the doorway, and with that he fired at the man. The shot ran true and the man fell down dead.

As the shooting outside stopped, Alonzo pulled Julia to his chest and held her there as she cried.


Julia opened her eyes in the hopsital room. She looked up to see Alonzo smiling down on her. Was this heaven? She couldn't be alive, couldn she? Julia moved her body to see Alonzo better. With this movement, she felt pain shoot through her body. Yes, she was alive.

Alonzo worridly moved her into a more comfortable position. " Are you all right?" He asked.

" I'm in a lot of pain, but as long as you're here, I'm happy." Julia replied as she gave him a smile.

" Good," Alonzo said with that smile that turned her knees to jelly. He leaned forward and Julia felt their lips meet.

Oh yes, Julia thought, I may be alive but this is heaven on earth.


" Julia has been scarred physically and mentally. As the healing process begins, I know Alonzo will always be there for Julia. And this is the only thing she needs because
" Love Conquers All." Devon Adair

-The End-


All comments are welcome at Elefant312@aol.com
Claire Campana




This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.