SECOND CHANCES
By
Cathy F. Bolton


Timeline: After "Redemption" (Day 51)
Author's E-Mail: Cathyfb@aol.com


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
As you will all see from the beginning message, this way my first story and I had alot of trouble coming out of my shell to post it. I find that, I don't really write a story, the story writes itself. With that in mind, if it offends you, please don't blame me. It had no name so I'll call it "Second Chances" for what of a better name. The title didn't write itself in this case.

Vic, I can only do this if I think you are the only one reading it. I'll send you part. If you promise me you won't share it with anyone, I'll send you the rest. I've never written anything so I'm very nervous about this. Shelleyann was the only one to read it when I wrote it in May. Here goes:


SECOND CHANCES, Part 1
by Cathy F. Bolton

It had been only an hour since they had broken camp when the TransRover began to emit a loud grinding noise from it's undercarriage. John Danziger immediately shut the rover down and slid under the machine. Soon muffled oaths reached the rest of the group as they gathered around the vehicle waiting for their chief mechanic's verdict.

Finally he slid out. Wiping grease off his hands and looking disgusted as he looked up, "Well people, we aren't going anywhere for awhile." Ignoring the groans he added, "And I'm going to need some help if you want to get moving in a day or so."

While addressed to the group, Danziger was looking at Devon. Since they had crashed on the planet, she was the one pushing them toward their goal of New Pacifica at twelve miles a day. At times, Devon and Danziger had angerly gone head to head over decisions that effected the group. Now, the only reaction he saw as he studied her face was a slight tighening of her jaw and a voice weary with frustration as she gave the order to make camp. In a voice strangely resigned, she simply said, "Tell us how we can help."

Danziger harshly called out the names of those he needed. He was angry. He couldn't decide what made him madder, his machines for breaking down or Devon for pushing them so hard that they failed.

The rest of the group despersed. This was just one more roadblock on their journey and they were beginning to get use to not questioning, only doing what was nesessary to overcome each barrier.

Julia wondered how much more fixing she would have to do as she escorted Baines from the Medical tent. Frustration, impatience, exhaustion and heavy machinery were all the ingredients needed to supply her with an endless stream of smashed fingers, cuts and bruises.

"Try to keep your hand clean so it doesn't become infected." she advised him. Baines nodded ruefully as he walked back to the work group.

As the group's only doctor, they trusted and depended on her to keep them well. She tried to maintain an outward confidence she seldom felt. In truth, Julia worried any time someone was injured because she knew so little about this strange world. There was always the invisable threat of it's viruses and bacteria. With a limited medical supply, she was ill equipped to fight exotic diseases she had never encountered.

Still despite the hardship, she felt an awe for the beauty of this place and it's secrets. It touched her soul and challaged all her preconceived notions of order and security. She found that both frightening and exciting. It made her feel more alive then any other time in her life.

Then again, the same feeling could be said of her growing love affair with Alonzo, the ship's pilot. He became her first patient when he was injured in the crash. She had guarded him fiercely to prove her ability but his independent nature couldn't handle his sudden dependence on her for help. For a long time they were both volatile and vulnerable to each other.

Julia past was shrouded in a web of deception. Her loyalty to a belief she was raised not to question had come apart when she learned her beloved council had planned the crash of their ship. A war had raged inside her as she was torn between the council and her mission to spy on the same people she now felt a growing love and concern for as they shared day to day hardships. She had seen her dark side, and it frightened her. Only Alonzo's belief in her goodness had given her the courage to ask for a second chance, to prove to the rest of the group and ultimately to herself that this is where she truely belonged.

She looked to the work group and found Alonzo hard at work with Danziger. Her expression was one she rarely showed in public.

As Julia turned back, she noticed movement on the ridge above her tent. Brushing her hair from her eyes, she saw Devon's son Uly, struggling to hang on to what looked like a large ball. As he attempted to secure his grip, he lost his footing and slid down the sharp incline. Julia rushed up the slope to where he lay and knelt beside him.

"Uly, are you O.K?" she asked as she visually scanned him for any injury. He gazed around at the broken pieces of his treasure and took in the mess of green goo all over his clothes before looking up at Julia and saying,. "Mom is going to kill me." Julia was looking at the mess too but with more curiousity. Satisfied that Uly was fine, she waved her Diaglove over the remains. It seemed to be some kind of fruit.

"Where did you find this?" she asked. He gestered behind him, "Just up the hill and kind of follow a path to the left. It leads through the trees to a field with some rocks. Their growing all over the place. Want to see?" he asked hopefully.

"Yes, uh, no. Not right now. First we have to get you cleaned up and I think Yale has been looking for you, Something about lessons? she teased him. Dejected, head down, feet dragging, Uly set off down the hill. After a wishful look up the slope, Julia followed him.

Devon was waiting as they came into camp. "Uly, where have you been? Yale has been looking all over for you and what have you gotten into? " He looked up at her excited, "I've found something really neat and I was going to show Julia where it is so we can bring some back to camp." Devon looked at Julia. "Nice try, Uly, but I think you are going for a washup and on to your lessons", Julia said as she smiled down at him.

She looked at Devon. "Uly may have found some sort of fruit. Unfortuneately, he picked a very ripe one. If I can find something alittle less ripe, we might be able to suppliment our diet. Anyway, since everyone is breaking for lunch, I thought I might take a run up and check things out while no one needs me."

Seeing Uly's disappointment at being left behind, she told him, "Don't worry. It's your discovery and you get to name it." Suddenly he was interested in asking Yale's advise on some grand name and he ran off in his teacher's direction. Devon turned to go after Uly but yelled back to Julia's retreating figure. "Julia, take your gear and stay in touch. Don't go far or be long." Julia waved but in her mind she was already wondering what she would find and how it might help the group.

All day as the colonist worked, two men watched from the top of the ridge. They kept out of sight of the small boy who passed just feet from them. They were more interested in the group's supplies but they also watched the women intensely. They lacked the courage to try to steal anything since there were only two of them against so many. Now suddenly, they couldn't believe their luck as one of the woman was headed straight toward them. They faded back into the shadows as she passed and then followed her silently as she topped the ridge and followed the path to the left.


SECOND CHANCES, Part 2
by Cathy F. Bolton

Julia found Uly's field with no problem. It was an open area, devoid of bush, stretching easily 100 ft until it ended suddenly into a wall of rock. It was a strange rock formation. It seemed to have grown up from the ground and Julia noticed small clumps of rocks, miniature versions, on the ground around her. She wondered if they were of volcanic origin, maybe mineral deposits seeping up from below. A hugh tree stood a lonely vigil not far from the wall.

Mixed among the rocks were hugh vines from which fruit of all sizes and shapes grew. Julia knelt beside one vine and noticed there were also small vivid color flowers growing on the vine. She wondered if they were fruit blossoms or had some independent reason for existing.

She contacted Devon and told her there was more here she wanted to study and might be longer then she thought. Devon responded, "Well there no rush, we don't have a spare of what we need, Danziger's trying to repair the broken parts." As soon as I'm done, I'll come up and help you bring back some of that fruit. I hope it will sweeten a few dispositions down here." Julia smiled and signed off, and hooked the gear on her belt. Activating the diaglove, she began to scan the molecular makeup of the vine and flowers. She was constantly fascinated at the diversity of life on this planet.

Lost in her thoughts, a sound close behind startled her. She turned to look thinking of Devon but saw instead two dirty, ragged men staring down at her. She knew they were penal colonists and their look told her all she need to know of their intention. She bolted into a run, pulling her gear from her belt and trying to activate it. They caught her in a flying tackle and she landed hard, the gear falling from her hand.

They teamed up, turning her on to her back, mounting her as they pinned her arms and legs to the ground. Their combined weight left her helpless. The larger of the two knelt on her legs and she felt his hands begin to tear at her clothes. The other one sat on her chest, leaning forward, holding her arms down on either side of her head.

"Julia!", the com. gear came to life suddenly, halting the struggle. Julia felt the weight lift from her legs as the larger man crawled toward the fallen gear. "DEVON!", Julia
screamed. She knew Devon could not hear her since the gear was on receive only but she prayed they didn't know that.

Someone heard her prayer. As she hoped, he left one arm go as he tried to cover her mouth with his hand. She bit down on his hand as hard as she could. As she expected, his concentration broke as he tried to pull his hand from her teeth. She drove the heel of her free hand, with a strengh born of desperation, up into his nose. She felt the spray of his blood as cartilege splintered and was driven back into his brain. She braced her legs and slid sideways away from his fall at the same time pushing him away from her.

She was free but fear and panic clouded her mind. She tried to run, using her hands to push herself upright on legs which felt like rubber. She inhaled, gasping for breath. Spots danced before her eyes. She felt like a swimmer struggling to reach the surface from a great depth, fighting a gathering darkness that threatened to engulf her.

She stumbled again and a shadow pasted over her, cutting off the sun. On her hands and knees, she turned her face and looked up. It was his eyes that held her, so dark and void of any feeling, the gaze of a predator. She saw his hand gripping the rock. He struck her so fast she had no time to react. The last thing she remembered was the blinding pain and the distant sound of Devon's voice anxiously calling her name.

Back at camp, things were coming along with everyone pitching in to help. Morgan was sulking in his tent, having been cast out by the work crew for dropping a wrench on Walman's head. Walman wasn't hurt seriously but when they found the med. tent empty, Devon realized Julia had not come back. She tried to raise her without success on the com.gear. Bess had come along and was putting a make shift bandage on Walman's head trying to make up for her husband's carelessness.

Bess looked over at Devon, "Do you think she's OK?" Devon smiled to cover her uneasyness. "I'm sure she's just engrossed in her work." Devon looked out the tent toward the transrover, the men were stripped to the waist straining to hold the differential in place for Danzinger to attach. She didn't want to alarm anyone. After all, Uly had returned from the same place with nothing worse then stained clothes.

Devon turned back to Bess. "Maybe there's a problem with the gear. She's just up the ridge, I promised I'd give her a hand anyway." l'll go get her." Before she left camp, she picked up a MagPro. Just in case, she thought. Then, she too, climbed the ridge.


SECOND CHANCES, Part 3
by Cathy F. Bolton

Devon had asked Bess to keep a channel open. She would report her position and observations as she went. This way, Bess could alert Alonzo and John if there was a problem. Bess settled down in the med. tent to listen and wait.

As Devon topped the ridge, Julia's signal suddenly ceased. Devon hesitated, she wondered if she should return to camp and get the men. She was armed and it might be something as simple as the equipment malfunctioning. She decided to go on. She turned the MagPro on. It's humming sound gave her some confidence and Bess was still with her online so it wasn't as if she was alone.

She didn't know Bess had missed her report about Julia's signal. Morgan had tracked his wife down and was whining over her desertion just when he needed her most. "Bess, it wasn' t my fault. The wrench just slipped. They made me hold it so long my arm must have fallen asleep or something.'' Bess was having trouble hearing Devon over Morgan's continous complaining. Finally, she said to him "Morgan, honey, can we discuss this later, I can't hear Devon." He looked at her like she was crazy, "Oh sure, take their side!" and he went on and on and on...

His name was Nicolas Bridger and he was sentenced and brought to 889 by the council for his crimes. The planet was his prison and his death sentence. He felt everyday he was able to stay alive he beat the council in some small way. Today he had gotten sloppy.

He had figured Coleman could handle the girl when the com. gear came on. His first thought was to shut it down before it could signal their location. He was amazed that she was able to overpower his partner so quickly. His anger had turned to rage, not because he felt any remorse for Coleman, it was just that he had slipped up. The rock and the smashed com. gear fell from his hands.

He leaned over the girl, wondering if she was dead. She seemed very pale under a rich tan. A large area of her forehead was swollen and blood flowed freely where the rock had broken the skin. Her hair had come loose and he brushed it aside to feel her neck for a pulse. It was soft as silk and the color of finely spun gold. He felt a pulse and let his hand run through her hair enjoying the feel of it. His hand continued down her body and he felt his own begin to respond. She was thin. Her journey had worn away any fat leaving only lean muscle behind. She was stronger then she looked.

Satisfied she was alive, he almost gave into his desire. The instinct that had kept him alive all these years warned him this was not the time or place. Now he needed to get away before they came looking for her. He stripped Coleman of anything useful and was picking up the girl when the large carrion birds took flight from a distant tree where they waited. Their cries protested being disturbed. Bridger knew someone was coming. He climbed the tree for a better view, keeping out of sight. Another woman, this one had a weapon. He looked at the weapon with longing. More than anything he wanted it's power in his hands. As he watched a plan formed in his mind.

Devon entered the field. "Bess, can you hear me? I'm coming into the field Uly described. She walked on looking for some sign of Julia. "Some of the fruit is broken, I don't like the look of this." She noticed what looked like blood "Tell John to come up and bring a few of the men. Tell him not to leave the camp unguarded."

As she talked, she looked around trying to understand what had happened here. Further below she spotted a shape on the ground under the tree. Because it was in the shadow cast by the heavy foilage of the tree, she could not determine what it was. With gun raised and her finger on the trigger, she walked toward the tree. Her eyes darted around and she felt her heart beat quicking as she told Bess, "I'm checking out something under a tree in front of me. Stay with me."

Bess's assurance didn't help calm her nerves much. Her eyes began to adjust to the dim light as she walked from the bright sun to dark shade. The form took the shape of a man. Blood thick and drying ran from his eyes, nose and mouth. The sound and sight of insects drawn by the smell and moisture caused Devon to turn away in horror.
At the last second, she caught sight of Julia's body. She was laying face down, covered and almost hidden by the man's body. Devon could see she was covered with blood.

She could not remember what happend next. She heard her own voice yelling for John telling him to hurry, Julia was down and she needed help. It was all flooding her senses too quickly. The sight of death and the smell of blood, heavy as the fear she felt clutching her heart.

Then she was on her knees, pulling him away, trying to reach Julia. The gun was forgotten at her side. Bess's questioning voice annoyed her. Nothing mattered to her more than finding out if her friend was alive. She said out loud to no one."Not after we come this far. Don't let this happen." Finally, by using her own body weight she managed to pull him away.

It was then that the sky seemed to fall on her and a blow knocked her backwards. She sat up dizzy and disoriented. Slowly the world refocused and it consisted of the large barrel of the MagPro pointed an inch from her face.


SECOND CHANCES, Part 4
by Cathy F. Bolton

Bess was out of the tent and sprinting to the Rover. She arrived gasping for breath. "John, somethings wrong-- Devon went looking for Julia when she didn't come back--"she stopped for another breath.

The men were not wearing gear and just looked at her and each other wondering what was going on. Alonzo grabbed her shouldar and said, "Bess what's this about Julia? What are you talking about?" Bess quickly told him about Uly's find over the ridge and Julia's trip to investigate. "Devon just thought she lost track of time when she didn't call back."

Danziger eyes darted about camp doing a quick count. The Morgan's, Yale with Uly and True (Thank God), Campbell, Walman, Baines, Magnus and the others but no Devon or Julia.

Bess was listening to the gear again. "I'm here Devon." she responded. Alonzo was questioning, "Julia was missing and no one told me? As Bess listened, she looked stricken, her face changed and the look she gave Alonzo made his heart miss a beat. "Devon found her.... she's hurt." Which way?" he demanded. Bess pointed and he took of running in the direction she indicated.

Danziger yelled after him to wait but Bess grabbed his arm suddenly. "Devon... Devon, can you hear me? What's happening?" A minute went by as Bess gripped the gear to her head trying to hear. She looked at John and told him," She was there and then everything scrambled and now the signals gone."

Danziger began to yell orders, to Baines, Campbell, and Walman about guarding the camp, to Yale to take the kids inside , to Bess to stay on line. He grabbed com gear and a MagPro before he set off after Alonzo.

True watched him go. She didn't want him to leave. She wanted him here with her, safe. But she knew the group depended on his strengh and courage like she did. She knew he would want her to obey his orders and be strong so she allowed Yale to lead her by the hand. All the while, she kept looking back over her shouldar, watching him grow smaller and smaller.

Alonzo was younger and faster with a head start on top. John had trouble keeping him in sight. He kept calling on the gear for Devon to answer. As he ran, he looked for signs of a trap. He didn't think there was much he could do to prevent Alonzo from falling into one.

Danziger cursed Julia for going off by herself and Devon for following her. "Yes," he told himself, "I'm going to have a serious talk with Devon Adair about this episode." Yet all the while, an icy fear seemed to be growing in his gut.

Alonzo had searched frantically until he found the body under the tree. Julia's broken Diaglove lay close by, splattered with blood. John found him on his knees holding the glove tightly again his chest. Alonzo looked up at him, his look pleading, "John, we've got to find her. She must be hurt, she wouldn't leave this unless she was hurt."

Danziger looked past him to the body, the large carrion birds had just started to pick at the remains."Don't worry Loz, we'll find them." He turned on the gear and told Bess to send Walman up and have him bring the head portion of the Zero unit.
Maybe the robot with it's elaborate instruments could help find something they would miss.

Danziger looked around but there was no sign of tracks. From what he could tell, there had been a struggle by the fruit and by the tree but nothing leading away. He could find no wounds on the body except for the face area. He looked up into the tree and saw a few small freshly broken branches. An ambush might have come from here. But where did they go? It was as if the ground had opened up and swallowed them.


SECOND CHANCES, Part 5
by Cathy F. Bolton

Only ten minutes before, Julia had lain where Alonzo knelt. Devon's voice reached through the darkness and found Julia but she fought against the journey into reality and the light. There were other noises and a strange voice. Memory returned, an unwelcomed visitor. She knew there would be no peace.

Bridger reached over and pulled the gear from Devon's head and crushed it. She looked passed the barrel of the gun at her assailant. "What do you want?" He smiled. The gun barrel caressed her cheek, tracing it's way down her neck before settling in the middle of her chest. "Guess." Devon glanced toward Julia, "Did you have to kill her to get it." "Only Coleman's dead. "I could have killed her... just like that." He snapped his fingers.
"But I like to finish what I start and now I don't have to share."

"Your friends will be here soon, so I suggest we save this little chat for a more intimate time." He motioned for her to get up. "Walk to the large rocks." He pointed to an area where large bouldars lay at the base of rock wall. "There is a small opening into a cave. Drop into the opening and wait. Any tricks and I'll kill your friend."
Devon tried to stall. "How do I know you won't shot me when my back is turned."
He raised the gun, "Because if you don't get moving, I'll shoot you before you turn your back."

Knowing she had no option and with a longing look toward camp, she turned and walked in the direction he indicated. It took her a few moments to find the opening. Looking back, she saw he had lifted Julia on to his shouldar and was watching her.
She looked into the hole trying to gauge how deep it went. The light reached only inches into the dark maw. She lowered herself as far as she could before letting go. Spider webs brushed her face as she fell, then she landed on a soft dirt floor.

Julia was losing her battle with consciousness. The pain, when he lifted her, mixed with vertigo and she felt like she was going to vomit. He had picked up a tree limb and was brushing it back and forth wiping away their trail as he walked backwards. Her head throbbed from the pressure of being head down. She had heard him give Devon directions and knew she must try to leave a marker for Alonzo to follow. Keeping her eyes open made her dizzy. She had to close her eyes to concentrate. When she reopened them they were at the hole. She had to act. With her fingers, she pushed off her thumb ring and saw it land in the grass. He was in the act of slidding her forward into the hole and didn't notice her movement.

Her body began to pick up momentum and he tightend his grip as he lowered her. His hands slid up her body and her blood ran cold at his touch. She pushed him away. Surprised, he let go and she fell on top of Devon who was trying to reach her. They both fell to the floor. Bridger laid the tree limb beside the hole and lodged himself so that he could cover the hole with it before he jumped free. He landed on his feet and lit a small light, swinging the gun looking for them. They were against the wall, Devon holding Julia protectively as if she were a small child.

"Get up." he grabbed Julia's arm pulling her up and toward him. "Don't like me touching you?" When she didn't respond he shoved her away. Devon grabbed her before she fell. Poking them with the gun, he indicated direction and they began a journey through a nightmare with no awakening.


SECOND CHANCES, Part 6
by Cathy F. Bolton

The tunnel went to the left, sloping upward. Soon it became an exhausting climb and they gasped air thick with dust. They endured a gauntlet of sharp rock, tripping and clawing at them in the dim light.

Only Devon's iron will kept Julia on her feet, encouraging and half carrying her when she faultered. They knew there was no alternative as he drove them relentlessly.

After what seemed an eternity in the dark, small shafts of light filtered through a porous ceiling. They were close to the surface and there was the sound of water somewhere.

In what seemed a small miracle, he stopped them and motioned with his light toward a small stream trickling down the rock face. He drank his fill first, making them wait. Then he settled back to watched them.

Devon cupped hands scrapped raw in the climb.The water stung but it was sweet and cold. It seemed to revive Juila also. When they were done, Devon riped a piece of her shirt and dipped it into the spring. She knelt beside Juila and gently wiped the dirt and blood from her face. The constant motion had reopened the wound, new blood followed old trails, caking her eye almost closed. Devon used part of a sleeve to make a bandage for her friend's head.

"Julia, How badly do you think you're hurt." she asked as she worked. The doctor answered, diagnosing her symptoms. "Headache, blurred vision, nausea, all the signs of a concussion. I don't know if my skull is fractured." Her voice trembled," I don't think I can keep up much longer. Devon, please promise if something happens to me, you'll tell Alonzo..." she looked away, tears filling her eyes.

Devon grabbed her hand, keeping her voice low, "We're going to get out of this, you can tell him yourself." But Julia went on, "I'm so sorry.." Devon raised her face looking her in the eye. "Julia, they could easily have taken Uly." and in her heart she was thankful he had been spared. "This wasn't your fault."

Julia held on to her. "You don't understand, I killed one of them." In Devon's mind's eye, she saw the sightless face of the man under the tree. Julia went on, needing to confess, "The Council trained us to fight from an early age. To protect ourselves and our mission if we were threatened. It's so instinctive, I lose control. Devon, if we weren't in VR that time on the cliff, I might have killed you in real life. Now you're here because of me.... helping me to go on.... when maybe you shouldn't. I'm suppose to save life, not take it."

"Julia, listen to me. What you did was necessary to survive." Devon stated slowly and emphatically. "I would have done the same thing."

Bridger came out of the shadows, "So you're Council. I wondered how you learned to fight like that." He leaned close to her, "Well Julia, I'm going to think up something real special for you. A personal thank you for what the Council did to me." He handed Devon strips of cloth, "Tie her hands in front of her and gag her." Devon was up and in his face. "What are you going to do?" He didn''t answer her. "She is not responsible for what the Council did to you." He looked at her with hate. "You don't know anything about what they did to me."

Then suddenly he smiled, "Don't worry, I'm not going to kill her yet. I'm going to wait until she begs me." "Tonight!", as if he was suddenly inspired, "And don't feel left out, I'll make sure you get to watch everything." She came at him and the gun catch her in the throat. "Now do what I say and don't tie it too loose or I'll have to do it myself and you wouldn't like that."

Julia offered her hands to Devon. After she was done, he checked the knots and then tied Devon and gagged her. Bridger moved them a short distance, then with the butt of the gun poked at a spot in ceiling. Light flooded the tunnel as the top fell in. He helped them climb into the open.

They were on a high trail that skirted the side of the cliff. The trail was narrow, on one side a sheer wall, on the other loose stones that sharply angled away, then ended at the edge of a precipice. The trail was only wide enough for one. He made Devon take the lead with Julia following and he brought up the rear.

He seemed to take great pleasure in poking and sticking Julia in the back and legs with the gun. Once she fell and began to slide off the side. He grabbed her, pulling her back on the trail, whispering, "Careful Council, it's a long way down and you wouldn't want to miss tonight's festivities."

She got up and began to walk and Bridger glanced over the side. She turned back and saw him staring at something intensely below. She looked down also and strained her eyes. Three men stood on the valley floor looking at the ground. She watched in horror as Bridger raised the MagPro and aimed it at them. She knew at full setting, even at this distance, it was lethal. And, because she was gagged, she could not warn them.


SECOND CHANCES, Part 7
by Cathy F. Bolton

Walman carried the top piece, which was the brains of the Zero unit, up to where Danziger and Alonzo were searching. "I brought lights and a first aid kit." Danziger looked up at the sun which was well into it's decent. "Good Idea", he said and they were aware of an increasing urgency. The night would conspire against their efforts. Alonzo couldn't shake the feeling of dread as night approached.

Danziger ordered the unit to scan for anything unusual in the area. After negative scans to the south and west, it reported a small, round, metal object lying in the grass about 20 meters to the north of their position. The men allowed it to guide them to the area. Walman was the first to spot the ring. Alonzo took it from him and said "It's Julia's. Maybe she left it as a kind of marker on which way they went."

Danziger looked at the ground around them. "There aren't any tracks." He walked on the tree branch and felt his leg slip into air and the other men grabbed him. Back on his feet, he pulled it away and they looked into an opening."Well, well, well, check this out. Maybe the ground did swallow them."

Up on the clift, Bridger watched as they discovered the entrance to the tunnel. Now they would be close behind. They could follow the tracks in the tunnel. He hadn't bothered to wipe those away. He would have to take them out quickly as they stood close together.
Luck was still on his side. He had seen them before it was too late. He sighted on the dark haired one in the middle, the blast should take him and wound the others. His finger had just touched the triggered as he heard her coming behind him. He was turning as she hit him with the full impact of her body.

Julia had no thought for her own safety. Just as she once stood between Alonzo and the ZED bullet, she was ready to sacrifice herself to save him and the others. She would rather die this way then wait for what Bridger had planned for her. It gave her satisfaction knowing he would never have her.

They both landed off the trail and began to slide in the loose gravel toward the edge of the cliff. Julia could do little to save herself. Bridger, at least, had his hands free and he was desperately grasping for something stable to hang on to.

Devon had turned with the sound and watched as events quickly played out. She watched as Julia slid and knew she could not reach her. She saw the gun lying on the trail and saw Bridger climbing to reach it. Devon ran for the gun. Bridger saw her coming and redoubled his efforts to reach it before her. Like sand in a hourglass, the earth slipped away beneath him and he lost precious moments in the race.

Devon arrived first, fumbling to lift the gun, handicapped because she was tied. She thought if she could balance it on her knees, she might steady it enough to reach the trigger and aim it. She sat, trying to brace herself and lift the gun. She dropped it twice before she got it to her knees. She looked up and saw him rise before her. She looked past him to see Julia had stopped her slid and managed to grab something to hold on to. She reached her finger toward the trigger and it caught as he pulled it from her lifting it high in the air away from her. A look of triumph on his face.

She brought her leg back and with all her strengh slammed it into his knee. His leg buckled and he went down cursing her in anger and pain. "Bitch, I'll kill you." He lunged for her, grabbing her leg and pulled her toward him. They both slid toward the edge. Julia reached for Devon but missed her as she passed by. He dropped the gun and it slipped over the edge.

As he felt himself go over, he left her go, grabbing for something to hold on to. Only stones came away in his hand and he slipped over the edge, a part of the planet he so hated accompanied him in a rain of gravel.

Devon continued to slip toward the edge. Death waited patiently below. She rolled on to her stomach, trying to use her hands. She felt a total mindless panic as her foot touch air. Uly's face flashed before her, she wanted to see him, hold him one more time. Who would take care of him?

Her legs slipped over. "Nooooooooo" she cried, denying her fate. She closed her eyes. She wondered if she would suffer or die quickly.


SECOND CHANCES, Part 8
by Cathy F. Bolton

She felt pain as something sharp and protruding cut into her belly. Whatever it was, a rock or the bones of some old tree, it slid under her belt, caught her and left her dangling at the edge of the world.

It slipped, then held. She was afraid to breathe. Fate seemed to toy with her. She was aware of the warmth of the sun, the smell of the earth close to her face. A sharpness cut into her gut but she embraced the pain if it promised her life.

Time passed. Her mind raced as her body was held prisoner to the slightest move. She found irony in her situation. She once had it all, weath, fame, power. It meant nothing except that it gave her the ability to take a chance on a lone planet 22 yrs away from home. There was hope that a natural climate might give her only son, and others like him, a cure for a rare disease that came from life on the stations.

Despite the crash, most of the advance crew had survived and her son had been cured. She had done all in her power to keep her promise to the others that were following. She had wanted to prepare a place for them at New Pacificia.

Now, all that went before, all that she was and had hoped for, hung on the strength of a two inch nylon belt. With no way to help herself, she prayed. For her life. For a second chance.

The sound of voices reached her. Danziger voice, nervously calling to her. "Devon..Julia..Hang on!! " She almost laughted...then felt tears...she loved his voice suddenly..

Danziger braced himself on the trail and lowered Alonzo. Then Walman used Alonzo as a human rope as he reach down to where Devon lay. They felt she was in the greatest danger. With his arms around her and Alonzo holding on to him, they began a slow, punishing, haul backwards to the safety of the trail. Then they repeated the same rescue with Julia.

As Alonzo pulled Julia to firm ground, he untied her gag and kissed her. Tears left dusty trails down her cheeks. Her face was bloodly and bruised but she never looked more beautiful to him. "I thought I'd lost you." he told her "I never want to feel that way again."
She spoke his name, "Alonzo.." and she was overcome at the joy of seeing him, feeling him kissing her gently on the lips, the cheeks and the eyes. As he touched her face with his hand, she saw her ring on his finger and knew it had lead him to her somehow.

Danziger walked back to where Walman and Devon were sitting. Walman had untied her and Devon was rubbing the feeling back into her hands. He masked his relief that she was OK by saying, "You know Adair, I don't know how you expect me to get anything done on those machines when I have to spend all day wandering around looking for you. I'll bet you expect to be under way by tomorrow morning too."

Devon looked up at him, a sparkle of humor coming back into her eyes. In a voice husky with fatigue she said, "Danziger, for once, I'm in no hurry. Take as long as you like." She looked at everything before her with eyes reborn. Aware of life's fragility Having seen her own death, she gave silent thanks for a second chance to feel life's tenderness, it's joys and fears and even it's sorrows.

He reached to help her up, trying to cover a smile. "Well, it's getting dark and I still have work to do so let's get moving. Come on Walman, let's pry the love birds apart before the sun sets. This has been one hell of a day and I'm sure we're in for a hell of a story around the campfire tonight." He walked over to the young couple "That is, if some of us can stay awake." He looked down at a sleeping Julia wraped in Alonzo's arms. Her head was on his shouldar. Alonzo's eyes were closed and he rested his head against hers.

"Lovers!" he thought in disgust and bent to untie Julia's hands.

-The End-




This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.