DEJA VU
By
Carrie Reed


Timeline: On way to New Pacifica
Author's E-Mail: judge@primenet.com


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
Howdy, This is only my second attempt at FF, so please any comments, criticism, suggestions, etc. would be *greatly* appreciated. This one is going to be in parts (I don't know how many). I've only got the first part done. Schools starting soon, and I won't have as much time, so I'm going to put it out in installments. The first part's not very long, and it's kind-of a cliffhanger, so don't get too frustrated. I'll have the second part out if not Saturday then a week from Saturday. Sorry about the wait. I'd like your input. I've got two other stories in my head right now, so my FF career is looking bright :)


Deja Vu, Part 1
by Carrie Reed

Narrated by Alonzo:
It's been 32 days since awaking Devon from cold sleep. Determined not to lose any more time, we pushed on, covering almost twice the distance in one day than we had before. The group has gained new confidence in the past month, and although the daily journey is difficult and long, the crew seems more determined than ever to reach our desired destination. As for me, life has been peaceful. The terrians haven't been dreaming to me nearly as much. In fact it's been over a week since the last one, which is fine with me--I enjoy being able to sleep through the night...


Alonzo woke with a start. His heart was racing, his head was pounding. He knew instantly that he'd been dreaming, but couldn't remember what it was about. But it wasn't a terrian dream, this one was different. He tried to go back to sleep, but it was no use. Whatever had happened in his dream, really unnerved him. What unnerved him even more was the fact that he couldn't place his finger on what it was. After two hours of tossing and turning, he finally decided to go ask Julia for a sleep aid.

"Julia, Julia..." Alonzo whispered when he got to her tent, "wake up." "What is it?! What's wrong?" Her medical enhancements had trained her to expect the worst, and she awoke with a start.

"Shh...Nothing serious, I just need a sleep aid." "Are you having terrian dreams again? I thought those hadn't been coming. I thought you'd been sleeping through the night."

"I was. This wasn't a terrian dream, though, this one was *real*." "Do you want to tell me what it was about?" "That's the problem, I can't remember. I've been trying to sleep for two hours, and everytime I start to drift off, I get this feeling that there's something there in my mind, just out of reach, and I can't quite grasp it. Then I wake up and it starts all over again. We've got a long day ahead of us tomorrow, and I neep a good night's rest."

Julia already had the sleep-aid ready when Alonzo finished talking. "This should do the trick. Now get some rest, doctor's orders."

"Thanks." The pilot gave his lady a good-night kiss, and departed, leaving Julia a bit dizzy.

"I hate it when he does that..." she muttered to herself.

"Did you notice how ragged Alonzo looked this morning?" Devon asked Danziger as they walked on ahead of the group, scouting for passes that the Rail could use.

"Yeah. Wonder what he's been up to," Danziger said with a sly grin. Devon shot him an icy glare before she continued, "I wonder if he's been dreaming again. I didn't want to ask, though, he seemed pretty worn out."

"I wouldn't worry too much, Adair. If it's something important, he'd let us know."

"I know. Things have been going so well lately, and I just can't help but worry sometimes. It's in my nature, I guess."

"I'll say. It's gotta be a female thing. Just when things start going good, you start to get nervous, like it's impossible for things to go right once in a while..."

"Hold on just a minute--"
"Relax Adair, don't go defensive on me, you know it's true. That's another thing you women do, you especially. Just when someone starts to get close to a truth that's a little too uncomfortable, you build a wall and get defensive--"

"Since when have you become the Almighty on understanding women?!" "I never said I understood them. I've always said there's a veil covering the female world that men would be better off not looking beyond. These are just a few casual observations I've made in my time."

"Oh, and I'm sure you've had a lot of experience in the women department, no doubt."

"Does that bother you, Adair?" Danziger asked with raised eyebrows and his characteristic grin.

"Why should that bother me?" Devon replied, trying to sound nonchallant, "What you do with your personal life is none of my business." And then, not liking the way this conversation was headed, "You know, I don't know how far we've gotten ahead of the group, maybe we should call back and tell them that there's a clear path till here, we might want to think about finding a place to set up camp."

Danziger was surprised to find he was relieved that she had changed the subject. <I must be getting old> he thought <I never thought flirting with a woman would make me uncomfortable>.

"Adair to crew." Julia answered Devon's call. "Devon, have you and John found a clear path?" "It's clear. We'll start setting up camp. I guess we'll see you when you get here."

"Devon, maybe you two should come back and meet us, instead of waiting out there alone. Alonzo's been having a really strange feeling about this place."

"Nonsense. There's not one of us on this crew that hasn't been out scouting at one time or another. We know how to take care of ourselves. Besides, that would just waste time and energy." "Devon, he had a dream last night..."

"A terrian dream? I thought they were leaving him alone?" "Not a terrian dream, Devon," Alonzo piped in, "a real one. I have this eerie feeling that I've been to this place before. The rocks, the bluff, the wash, they all look so familiar. I can't remember what happened in my dream, but I have a feeling this has something to do with it, and it's feels like trouble, whatever it is."

"Devon," It was Yale's turn to be protective, "We'd all feel better if the two of you would come back. Uly's worried about you, he says he has the feeling, too, and he's scared."

"All this fuss over a dream. I'm sure it's nothing but a normal nightmare, but if it'll make you feel better, we'll come back. Adair out."

As they finished the conversation, the group heard True scream. Julia raced around a bluff and into a rocky wash, where True's screams were coming from. As True came into view, Julia saw the body of a man on the ground next to her, bleeding.

"I...I just found him here..." True stammered, "Who is he?" "Well there's the question of the day," Julia said as she ran her diaglove over the body. "He's still alive, but just barely. I think I can save him, and then we can ask him ourselves." By this time the rest of the crew had reached the spot where True was. Julia continued, "Alonzo, get in touch with Devon and tell her we're camping here tonight. Tell her she and Danziger need to hurry up, I don't know if they're safe out there."

"Where's Julia?" Devon asked the Martins as she and Danziger got into camp.

"She's in the med-tent, she's been asking for you." Bess replied. Devon and Danziger left for the med-tent with the Martins close behind. When Devon reached the med-tent and went inside, she stopped so suddenly, that the three behind her almost tripped over her. Her face lost all color.

"Adair!" Danziger growled behind her, "What the devil are you trying to do?! Devon? Are you OK?"

"We think he's a penal colonist. It's the only reasoning any of us can come up with. There's no need to be worried about safety, we've secured the camp, and there's several people on watch. Devon, I know it looks serious, but he'll be fine," Julia tried to reassure her, "He should be awake any minute..." With that, the patient started coming around.

"It's not that. Someone get Yale," Devon said, barely above a whisper, "Please get Yale in here." Baines, being the last to enter the tent, and the one closest to the door, left in search of Yale.

The man had become fully conscious now, and as he looked around the room, his eyes focused on Devon, "Devon..."


Deja Vu, Part 2
by Carrie Reed

Howdy again,

I know how much you hate waiting, so here's the second part. This story is going to end up being like a series of episodes, like the Gaal eps. This part wraps up the first "episode" in the series. Each new story has a new plot, but still evolves the story of our "mystery man" (who's identity is exposed in this edition). I have a few plot twists in mind for later "episodes". So stick around!! Hopefully this will give you a little closure, for now :) This does leave questions unanswered, and I promise I'll answer them in future "episodes". Also, the first two parts are short. I think I should have combined them into one, but, alas, it's too late for that :(


Deja Vu, Part 2
by Carrie Reed

"Yale?! Is it really you?" The man asked, sitting up now, as Yale entered the tent. "I figured you must have been recalled by now. How'd you manage that? Oh yeah, but I bet the 'Mighty Adairs' can do whatever they want, huh?" He winked at Devon. His voice had a distinct accent, known to those on Earth as coming from a country called England.

"You're an Earth boy?" Bess asked, instantly recognizing the accent. "Very astute, my dear." the man commented, genuenely surprised. "What gave it away? Was it the accent?" Bess nodded. "I've been trying to work on that. You wouldn't believe how many jobs I've lost on the stations because of it--"

"William?! I can't believe it's you. How--Why--What--" Devon finally found words, but fumbled over them.

"You know him?" Baines asked, completely baffled. "Devon? Yale? What the heck is going on here? Who is this--"

"I think I can answer that one," the man replied, apparently regaining his strength. "My name is William Judson. I was born on Earth, by my count 35 years ago, although I'd say by station time, I'm a bit older. I was raised in the mining camps, my father was a miner, you see. After my mother died, when I was eleven, my father wanted a better life for me. We moved to the stations, where, much to my dismay, I went to school. I think if I had payed a little more attention, I wouldn't have ended up as a lowly station mechanic, not that I mind the work, however, but there's just so little 'scope for the imagination'. That's about it for my life story, but I'm available for questions, so don't hesitate to ask. But please, introduce yourselves, I'm afraid I'm terribly unaquainted with most of you."

"I have one. The name's John Danziger." "Alright, John Danziger, shoot." "How did you come to be here?"
"I was going to ask the same question." Devon said, the words coming out more fluently this time, but obviously choking back emotion. "You're dead, or at least you're supposed to be. I...I saw the explosion. How did you ever manage to survive it?"

"Ahh, now there's the question I never thought I'd be able to answer for you, Devon. The answer to that particular question is very simple. I wasn't on the ship when it exploded."

"The name's Baines, and hang on just a minute. For the benefit of those of us who haven't been previously acquainted with you--what explosion? what ship? and why weren't you on it?"

"The answer to that question, my friend, is increasingly more complicated. Would you like the long or short version?"

"The whole version would be nice, for those of us who *have* been previously acquainted," Yale said, finally finding the words to speak.

"Well then, have a seat everyone, because this could take awhile. Does anyone mind if I get a drink of water first, I'm quite thirsty, I'm afraid I haven't had a thing to drink all day."

"From a physician's opinion," Julia said, "William needs his rest. He's been through a lot, and I don't know that it's healthy for him to be doing so much talking. He needs to rest for a bit. They'll be time for explanations later, when everyone can hear them." The group agreed, but before they started to file out of the tent...

"Devon, wait a minute. I have a question for you. How is he?" "Who?"
"The boy. He'd be how old now? Nine?" Devon could no longer hold back the emotion she was feeling, and her eyes filled with tears, "How did you know?"

"They told me right before they put me in cold sleep to send me here. 'By the way,' they said, 'you're going to have a son'."


The group, minus Devon and Yale, had assembled outside, waiting for Julia to bring out the man of mystery.

"Can you believe it? All this time, I thought Devon believed she was too high class to associate with earth-people, and now we find out that Uly's father's from Earth. The son of a miner, at that." Bess was reveling in this new turn of events. She was one of the only ones, however.

"Can you imagine," Magus continued, "living for nine years thinking that the man you love, the father of your child, was dead...Only to have him reappear on a planet 22 light-years away from your home?"

The group was abuzz, each member producing their own speculations about how this man ended up on G-889, and who it was that sent him here. No one seemed to notice Danziger alone in the shadows. No one, that is, except Alonzo, who was also not participating in the surrounding conversation.

"So, Danz, what's got you bothered this evening, or do I have to ask." "Maybe you shouldn't," Danziger growled, looking more vicious than usual.

"Well I am, so spill, Danz."
"I can't believe we're wasting time with this guy, no matter what connection he has. We've got barely enough food to keep us alive, without adding one more mouth to feed. Besides, he's been alone on this planet for 9 years. The only human company he's had has been people like Gaal," Danziger practically spat the last word, "He could be a crazed lunatic,"

"Or worse,"
"Are you trying to make me feel better?" "I just want the truth. It doesn't bother you at all that this guy is Uly's father?"

"Why should that bother me? I've always thought Uly needed a man's influence in his life--"

"You know what I mean," Alonzo enjoyed immensely watching Danziger avoid the subject.

"No, what do you mean? That he and Devon were together, nine years ago, 22 light-years away? Does that bother me? No, it doesn't," <Now> Danziger thought <If only I could convince myself of that point>

"All I'm trying to do is get you to admit how you really feel. You two have been dancing around your feelings for each other since the first day we landed. You are the only two in camp that seem to think there's nothing there. Besides, I've got a bad feeling about this guy, and the less Devon sees of him , the better I'll feel."

Before Danziger got a chance to reply, Julia emerged from the tent with William, helping him to a seat in front of the group. Devon and Yale had joined the group now, too, and she walked over and took a seat next to Uly.

"Well, hello again, everyone," Judson began,"I suppose you've been waiting patiently for the next installment of my rather lengthy, convoluted story. If I begin to lose any of you, please let me know. I tend to get lost sometimes, myself. Well now, where would you like me to begin?"

Devon had a suggestion for that one, "Why weren't you in the explosion, and why did the council tell me you were, and who is the 'they' that sent you to this planet, and--"

"Hold on one second, my dear, one question at a time. The Council was responsible for staging my death. They wanted your family's loyalty. As you know, your father was never a big supporter of the Council. He was never outwardly opposed to them, but he rarely voted with them. They wanted me alive because I was the closest to the family without being part of the family. I knew your weaknessess, your secrets, your hopes, etc. They figured that by bribing me, I would tell them what I knew so they could manipulate your father. But in order for you not to get suspicious, I had to be dead."

"You actually went along with the Council on that?" Devon was baffled and hurt.

"Oh no, never. I wouldn't do that to you. The Council kidnapped me and staged my death before they told me their plan. When I didn't agree to it, rather than kill me in cold blood, they decided to send me on a ship with penal colonists to this planet, 22 light-years away from civilization. I guess they overlooked a few records when they let you come here."

"Let?! Who said they *let* me come here. They tried every trick and manipulation to keep this mission from leaving the stations. They even planted a bomb on the ship. I guess the Council's pretty fond of explosions."

"They get the job done. Any other questions?" Danziger wondered why he seemed so eager to change the subject.

"The name's Alonzo Solace, and I have a question. You say you've been on this planet for nine years, right?"

"That's correct."
"When Julia checked you out, you were banged up, but other than that, you were in good health, no signs of malnutrition, dehydration, etc. We've been here for less than a year, and we've almost starved to death a couple times, and we even had rations to begin with. How did you manage to stay this healthy for this long." Only Alonzo caught the slight hesitation William had before he answered.

"I've been on the planet for nine years. The first year was tough. I almost died a number of times, but you learn how to cope. You learn which plants are edible. You learn how long the winters are, and how to store food to last through them. It's all aquired knowledge, you see."

"My name's Morgan Martin, and I don't have a question for you--" "Well, Morgan, thank you for that little piece of information. I'm sure we'll all be able to sleep better tonight, knowing that." William was really beginning to enjoy all the attention he was getting, which seemed odd to Devon.

<He always hated being the center of attention> she thought <But I guess nine years on a planet with no human companionship can do that to you> and she didn't give it another thought.

"You didn't let me finish," Morgan continued, a bit embarrased, "I have a question for Julia. Can he travel? I mean we've lost so much time with winter and Devon being sick and all, I really don't think we should lose any more time. We came here to get to New Pacifica, and I think we should get there. Soon would be nice."

"Morgan, I've already looked into that," Julia said. "He won't be able to walk, but we have the Vehicle that Alonzo used while his leg was healing. He'll be able to ride in that, and it won't slow us down a bit."

Morgan wasn't satisfied, "So, what? We pick up a complete stranger on the road, and offer him a free ride to Paradise? We can't just take in every stray we find. Do you all remember what happened with Gaal?"

"William isn't Gaal," Devon was adamant. "And he's not just some stray, either. I've known William since I was thirteen years old, and he's no threat to our journey. We came here to help heal humanity, to give people a chance. What did we come here for, what have we learned if we can't help someone in need?"


Narrated by Alonzo:
And so it was decided. We began our trek once again across this planet we have come to call home, only this time with one more person in our group. Some, like Devon, have accepted him freely, without judgement. Others have their doubts. And then there's me. My dream continues to haunt me. And still, though I can't quite grasp the content of it, I know whatever lies ahead of us will not be easy. For some it may be the most difficult thing they ever have to face. But like Devon said, we came here to help heal humanity. And in order to heal, some wounds will have to be reopened. I just hope we find out what they are before they end up destroying us.

The End (for now, although the tale of William Judson will be continued...)


mail comments to:
judge@primenet.com


This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.