JULIA'S DIARY
By
Dawn Pell


Timeline: After "The man who fell to Earth..." (Days 0-4)
Author's E-Mail: DawnPO@aol.com


Julia's Diary

Dr. Julia Heller paced back and forth nervously in her medtent. Alonzo Solace had been badly injured, and Devon and Danziger thought that Gaal had been his assailant. Julia's heart ached for Alonzo, it was bad enough that his leg had been broken during the crash but now he was in a coma because of some hostile idiot that attacked him!

She walked over to his bedside, knelt down, and began to rub her fingers through his soft raven hair. "Alonzo", she whispered softly in his ear, " I've tried as hard as I can to help you but there is only so much I'm capable of. It's up to you to bring yourself back, to come back to me". She looked down at him and touched the deep scar below his left-eye. She could tell he must've struggled alot before being knocked out, the way she'd found him a few days ago. The other thing she noticed was the look on his attractive face, it was so blank, so empty. Not like the Alonzo she'd come to know......... and love. There were so many feelings bottled up inside of her that she just couldn't let out. Firstly, because she didn't know how, and lastly because the person she wanted to talk to them about was in such a bad condition it sickened her. Finally, she sat down at the make-shift table Danzinger had put together, and came to a section on her notebook computer entitled "Memo Pad". Then, in a moment of desperation, she began to write.

***

I first met Alonzo Solace when we were on the ship coming to planet G889 or "Earth 2", as Yale calls it. Shortly thereafter, I wrote him off as just another cocky pilot.
After all, we hardly knew each other and he'd tried to pick me up! Putting on his sexiest smile that brought out the dimples on both of his cheeks he'd replied, " I can postpone everyone's defrost so we could go and celebrate life a little. What'da ya say?"

I can't say I wasn't the tiniest bit flattered by his request, but I'm not that kind of girl. Also, I barely knew him or anything about him, (except that he was the DROP DEAD GORGEOUS pilot who was in charge of taking the people infected with " The Syndrome" to this earth-like planet, so they wouldn't have to live on the space stations any longer.) Other people that are helping out in our mission or "The Eden Project," include Devon Adair, our leader, who is also the mother to one of the infected children named Ulie. Then, there's John Danziger, our mechanic and his daughter, True. ( I've never told anyone this, but I think Danziger and Devon have a thing for one another.) Next, there's Yale, a cyborg who helps us because he has the unique ability to create holograms with his glove, which has benefited us a great deal. In addition, there's the government liaison, Morgan "whiner" Martin, and his wife, Bess. She is sweetheart with the most adorable curly hair, and I have no idea why she is attracted to that weirdo! Last, but not least, there's Baines, who helps out Devon and Danziger whenever they're in a pinch.

After we awoke from our cold-sleep, everything seemed to be running smoothly.
Then, all of the sudden our worst nightmare became a reality. We'd lost our communications disc, and on top of that we were headed for a crash landing, and there was nothing Alonzo could do about it! At this point, everyone was in a panic, especially the children. So, we all started running to the safest places on the ship we thought possible. When we finally landed, we discovered that everyone was physically in-tact, with the exception of Alonzo, who'd suffered a broken leg in the ejector pod because he'd refused to take a bone-knitter. When I realized this I was very angry, not because our pilot had suffered an injury, but because this meant I'd have to be the one to take care of him. It's not that I don't love doing my job, because I do. It's just that I knew Alonzo (being the stubborn little ass that he is) would fight me every step of the way every single time I tried to help him!

It was a beautiful day, one afternoon, a few weeks later. The sky was blue, the sun was shinning, and the crew was witnessing a rare event: Ulie had convinced True to play with him! However, I was oblivious to the scene unfolding before my very eyes, because I was trying with all my might to convince Alonzo to take his medication.

" Please Alonzo, take the pill !", I begged. " No!", he shot back indignantly, his eyes blazing. "Look, you had better listen to me or you're gonna stay in pain. Is that what you want?" I asked.

" Julia, why don't you do us both a favor and leave me alone!" he said hotly.

Finally, I couldn't take his attitude any longer. After all I'd been putting up with him for too long! I walked up to him, looked directly into his eyes, and said " Alonzo, if you don't take your damn pill, I swear I'll break your other leg!" All he did in response to this was roll his eyes, and I was getting angrier by the second. " Fine!", I shouted, throwing the bottle at him, which burst open immediately when it hit the ground and revealed an abundance of tiny yellow pills, " Do what you want!" Then, I stalked off, leaving him with his mouth hanging open in shock.

When night fell, I couldn't sleep because I felt so guilty about what happened between Alonzo and myself. So, I decided to go to his tent and check on him. I expected to find him sound asleep when I arrived, but to my surprise he was not. In fact, he was wide awake, sitting on his bed and staring at the wall, a mixture of fear and fury in his eyes.

"Alonzo," I whispered, shaking him gently on the shoulder. He quickly turned around and rubbed both of his eyes. " Julia, what are you doing up so late?"

"That's funny, I was just about to ask you the same question." " I had another dream about the terrians", he said with a heavy sigh. "This time Ulie was with me, and they all crowded around us. I tried to tell them that we were their friends, and that we meant them no harm, but they wouldn't listen. Next thing I knew, one of them grabbed Ulie and forced him underground, and when he came back up I could feel he was sick again." He briefly looked down at his lap, and when our eyes met again I could tell he was choking back tears.

" It's okay Alonzo", I said wrapping my arms around him. " I'm here, you don't have to be afraid anymore." We sat together in silence for a moment, after he finally regained his composure and then I spoke up. "Listen, I'm really sorry for the way I treated you earlier. I was way out of line and"-

" Shh", he said cutting me off and placing a finger over my lips. "Don't you dare apologize to me when you know I deserved alot more than what I got. I never should've acted so childish, and I'm sorry."

" I only got on your case all the time about taking your pills, because it kills me to see you in that much pain. Sure, at first I was just doing my job and your ego annoyed me a little. But now that I've gotten to know you, I really do care about you. In a friendship sort of way", I added quickly, in an attempt to cover up my true feelings.

He touched my cheek with one warm hand. " I know," he replied, giving me a sincere smile. " I care about you, too." From the way he said this, I doubt that being friends is what he had in mind for us. The next thing I knew, I felt his soft lips brush against mine briefly. Then again, and again, but this time the kiss was long, lingering and even more passionate than the first two. Suddenly, a wave of fear washed over me and I pulled away from him abruptly.

" I-I-mean- Look, I better go now. I'm so sorry." I stammered running out of his tent as fast as possible, to get to my own.

I heard him saying things like "Julia, wait! Please don't go, not like this!" But I never turned back. I just kept going until I was in my tent, and then I fell onto my bed and began to cry.

Since then, neither Alonzo nor I have brought up what happened that night. However, after a while he did start to flirt with me again. Telling me what a great couple he thinks we'd make or how beautiful I am. Each time, however, I keep giving him reasons why we can't be together like "The time just isn't right" or "There are just some things you don't understand about me." I don't know why I always blow him off. Maybe it's because I've never really been in love before and I fear romance. Or it could be the fact that I can't forget about the "love 'em and leave 'em" reputation Alonzo had in the past, even though I know he truly cares for me. It might even be that I know that the whole crew would freak out if they discovered I was a spy for "The Council", despite the fact that I've protected our location the entire time. Then, Alonzo would break up with me, and truthfully I couldn't bear to loose him. Whatever the reason, all I know is if there's one thing Alonzo's coma has taught me, it's that life is too short to have pride. And I swear if he ever comes out of this, I'm going to tell him just how much I love and want to be with him.

***

"Julia", Devon Adair called out to her friend, who startled at the sound of her voice. " Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you, but it's getting late. Don't you think you should be getting to bed? We've got a long day ahead of us."

Julia shut off her notebook computer, and glanced over at Alonzo. " No, I think I should keep an eye on him, you know, in case any changes occur."

" Well, in case you change your mind I could get Baines or Zero to take over for you, and if you don't want to sleep in Alonzo's tent Ulie and I would be glad to make room for you."

" That's very sweet of you, Devon, and just might take you up on it. Since I am kind of worn out, but could you just give me a few minutes?"

" Sure," Devon said with a sympathetic smile. " And don't worry, he'll be okay," she added, before leaving the med-tent.

After Devon left, Julia got up from her chair and walked over to Alonzo's bedside yet again. "Goodnight, Alonzo." she said sadly to the still body lying in her own bed, and placing a gentle kiss on his forehead. She'd promised herself she wouldn't cry, because she knew it wasn't going to solve anything, but try as she might, she could no longer control her emotions. A single tear trickled down her cheek, and melted on Alonzo's. "I love you," she added, her voice clouded over with emotion. She stayed with her patient for a while, in hopes that he would somehow awake and be okay, but her wish didn't come true. Yawning, she rose to her feet, and began to walk to Devon and Ulie's tent. She was almost outside, when the sound of someone calling her name forced her to stop.

"Julia," Alonzo replied weakly. She turned around, and was relieved to see a pair of darkbrown eyes staring in confusion at her. "Alonzo! Thank God your alright" she exclaimed happily, rushing over to him.

"Julia, what are you talking about? I don't understand. I mean what"-

"Don't," she said interrupting him. "Please don't do this to yourself. Everything will start making sense in the morning."

"You promise?" he asked seriously. "I promise." she said smiling at him. "Now, can I have a g'night hug?"

"Absolutely!" he said, smiling back and beginning to embrace her. "Ouch!," he exclaimed a moment later, and Julia realized she'd accidentally bumped a sore spot on his injured leg.

"Oh God, I'm so sorry! Are you okay?," she asked, getting up with lightening speed, her face turning pure scarlet.

"I'll be fine." he said, rubbing his leg. "Here, let me help." she offered, massaging his knee with her hand. "How's that feel?"

He placed his hand over top of hers. "Alot better, thanks Doc."

Julia turned around to leave. "No problem." "Hey, where are you going in such a hurry?" he asked with surprise.

Julia ran her fingers through her dark-blonde hair nervously. " Oh, um, I'm getting kind of tired, so I think I'm either going to rest in your tent or squeeze in with Devon and Ulie. I haven't decided yet."

" Well, instead of doing that why don't you just stay here with your ol' pal, Alonzo. There's plenty of room." he added, using every bit of his energy to slide over.

Julia shook her head. " I couldn't since I'd probably take up too much of your space, and besides you need your rest."

" Last time I checked, Julia, this was your tent, and besides I'll be lonely without you, Doc." he added jokingly. " Now, in all seriousness, c'mon what'da'ya say?"

"Are you sure?"
" Positive."
" And you really think I won't be taking up too much space?" she asked critically, glancing at the small bed.

" I know you won't." he said reassuringly. " Okay," she said getting into the bed, and making herself comfortable. She closed her eyes, and tried to relax.

" Julia," Alonzo asked, interrupting the peaceful sounds of the night. " Can I get that hug now?"

" You certainly can!" she exclaimed, rolling over to look into his eyes and embracing him. When she disentangled herself from his exuberant embrace, she drifted off to sleep, more content than she'd been in a long time.

THE END


Food for thought: If Alonzo had really been attacked on the show, Gaal would be a prime suspect because he didn't like the terrians, or the connection Alonzo has with them.

-Dawn Pell

This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.