OLDEST OF OUR TRIBES
By
Daniela Signor


Timeline: After Redemption (Day 51)
Author's E-Mail: danni@rmit.edu.au


OLDEST OF OUR TRIBES

The colonists approached the end of the valley to find two ways open to them.
Danziger and Devon stood before the high cliff that blocked their path. " We can go towards the north, the map shows a plateau a day or so away that we can reach." Danziger stated after studying the maps. " If we can reach it, Danziger. The terrain between us doesn't look that good. I think we should go more to the west, it appears rougher terrain but there is a possibility of water further along. " " Now why doesn't that surprise me."
" What? "
" That you don't agree with me, besides our water is fine. " " For now, we go west. " Devon nodded to the western path and signalled to the others to move that way. Baines moved forward on the single ATV and began to travel down the path. A flash of light and an explosion just before him caused him to bring his ATV to a sudden abrupt halt. As his eyes recovered from the bright flash he saw before him a terrian, activating his gear he spoke to the others. " I have a digger blocking me. Alonzo, you might want to come up here. "

Alonzo, who had been walking along beside Julia now hurried forward and past Baines, slowing to cautiously approach the terrian. He focused his mind towards communicating with the being before him, closing his eyes and lowering his head. A silence descended on the group as they waited to hear what the terrian had to say. Devon held Uly to her as she stood beside Baines, Danziger and Julia. Alonzo found himself once again on the dream plain, the terrian stood beside him. Lifting up his staff, the terrian pointed to a distant valley, touched by the sun's rays. It seemed to shine in his vision. Then the terrian brought down his staff and the valley was hidden from sight.
" That is where the path leads to, isn't it? " Alonzo asked. The terrian nodded slowly.
" Is it your place, you do not want us to go there? " Again the terrian nodded slowly.
" Alright, we will take the other route. " They turned away from the valley, leaving the dreams plain. After a few minutes, Alonzo shook his head, shaking of the strange feeling of touching the terrians mind. He walked back to the group as the terrian returned to the earth. " We can't go along that path. It leads to some sort of special place of the terrians. It's also a dead end for us from what I saw, it narrows to a point where our vehicles would not be able to go through." " Any idea what sort of special place it is, Alonzo? " Devon asked. " No, different to anything I felt from the terrians before, they didn't bring me close. Just showed it to me in the distance. They don't want us near there. I don't think they would let us get near it. " " Well, looks like we are heading north. " Danziger smirked as he turned to the group. " Okay everyone, you heard Lonz, let's get moving along. "

The group dispersed and once again began to move along. As Devon past him, Danziger couldn't resist one last comment. " Told you we should head north. "
Devon didn't even spare him a glance.

On top of the ridge that looked down onto the colonist group lay two men. " See that Hamil. That guy spoke to the terrian and now they are heading away from the cargo pod and that terrian valley. Must be some friend of theirs. " Ford muttered.
" A friend, yer a friend alright Ford. Such a friend that they probably don't want him dead. If they can be bothered to warn him away then who knows. Maybe they can't kill him like they couldn't kill that bastard Gaal. Maybe he can get to that cargo pod for us. Come on Ford, lets get back to the others. We have some plans to make. " The two men moved carefully back from the ridge edge and when they were out of sight, stood up and moved off to the west.

The colonist had moved on for another few hours before deciding to camp. As the colonists set up the camp Alonzo and a few others spread out through the light forest to find firewood. Alonzo drifted along, picking up a branch here and there, but his thoughts were not on wood collecting but on Julia. He could still clearly recall the way she had run out into the open, trying to draw the ZED bullet. She would be waiting back at camp, he realised as they had begun to have all their meals together. He looked at the wood he had collected, enough for now he decided as he suddenly turned to retrace his steps to the camp. His sudden turn had startled the man who had been sneaking up behind Alonzo. They both froze in surprise. Alonzo recovered first at seeing a strange man before him and noted the branch held like a club in the man's hand. Alonzo threw all his collected wood directly into the man's face and reached for the pistol he carried.
" Not so fast. " a voice growled from his right and Alonzo became aware that there were now a few others in the clearing. A pair of hands grabbed his right arm and someone grabbed at his left shoulder. Alonzo realised that he wasn't going to get out of this on his own. He forced his left hand quickly up and activated his gear.
"Danziger, I need.." Alonzo's call for help ceased abruptly as the first man now brought his wooden club down on Alonzo's head. Alonzo slipped down to the ground, unconscious.

Danziger had listened with half an ear as Alonzo called his name but when the transmission stopped suddenly and was replaced with static, he left the transrover repairs and tried to regain contact. When he got no response he went to communication tent. He found Bess and Baines setting up the equipment.
" Hey guys, can you check out Alonzo's gear. I'm only getting static. " " Alonzo, this is Bess. Come in. " Bess shook her head, " I'm getting nothing "
Baines ran a few test on the gear,
" I'm getting an open line from Alonzo's gear but no audio or visual response. Want me to get a fix on him? " " Yeh, you do that. I don't like this, I'm going to ask around find out what he was doing and what he had on him. "
By the time Danziger had finished his questions everyone knew something was up. Devon and Julia had joined Baines and Bess in the communication tent by the time Danziger returned, " He just went out to get some wood, had all the normal gear on him. " " Baines has a location on him, just over this hill." She pointed to the map, " Let's go. " Devon ordered. It only took ten minutes by vehicle to find Alonzo's gear and a scattered pile of wood. " Where is he? What has happened to him? " Julia cried as she search the surrounding area.
" Zero, scan the area. " Devon ordered. " I can detect traces of several humans. There is blood on one of the wooden branches. I can detect no one within my range but I detect the passage of several people to the west." At hearing Zero's report, Julia rushed towards the west, calling out Alonzo's name. Devon run after her and caught her, " Stop Julia! It's getting dark. We have to wait till morning. Don't worry, we will find him. We will get him back. " " We have too Devon, we have too. I wont go on without him. " Julia turned without another word and joined the others, she scanned the blood sample and discovered that it was Alonzos. They returned to the camp and prepared to track Alonzo down in the morning.

Alonzo woke slowly, aware that he had a very bad headache and that he was moving. He forced his eyes open to find that he was tied to long pole by his feet and hands and being carried by two strange men. The one by his feet noticed he was awake and spoke to the other man. " Hold it Bryers. He's awake. "
The men stopped and dropped him down to the ground, Alonzo groaned as he hit the hard ground and banged his head. Everything went hazy, when it had cleared and he could focus again, Alonzo found himself staring into one ugly face.
" My name is Hamil and if you behave yourself, we'll have no trouble but if you don't then this will happen. "
Alonzo watched as he spoke a word into the device held in his hand, " Charge "
Alonzo's body stiffened as an electric jolt course through him and he cried out in pain. After the effects had abated, Alonzo moved his hands till he could feel his throat. There he encounter the shock collar he had last seen on a group of terrians.
" Good, I see you know about our little gift from the council. So no matter where you are, I can bring you to your knees with a word. You can walk now, Bryers and Grant are tired of carrying you. " " What do you want? " Alonzo finally managed. " You to fetch something for us, and you better do it if you don't want to die slowly and painfully. " Hamil turned away and addressed Bryers and Grant.
" Untie his feet but keep his hands tried. Oh, here Bryers. " He gave Bryers the shock collar control, " I don't want him talking to the terrians till we are ready, if he looks like he is spacing out, shock him. That will bring him back. " Unfortunately, Bryers idea of what looked spaced out was any facial expression other then pain. Alonzo stumbled along, dazed from his head wound and unable to think of a way out while being given an electric shock every ten paces. His mind finally focused on one thing, his friends, Danziger, Devon and Julia. He would have to trust that they would find him and get him away from these penal convicts.

After a long day of tracking the group of men who had taken Alonzo, they were forced to admit defect. The terrain was too rough for Zero to find tracks and they had been forced to scout the entire area without finding one trace of Alonzo. They had gathered around the fire, trying to decide what to do.
" Who do you think took him. " Morgan asked, " The council? " " No, " Julia answered, " the council are only interested in Uly, if they wanted to trade people or use Alonzo in some way, we would already have heard from them. "
" That leaves someone else and the only other human we have met was Gaal. Do you think it could be a group of penal convicts? " Devon asked. " It could be. " Danziger agreed, " but again, they would want something from us, we would have heard from them. " " Unless they wanted Alonzo. " Yale suggested. " What do you mean, Yale? " demanded Julia. " We have received no ransom demands, if they did not take him to get something from us, then they must have taken him to get something from him. "
" But what? "
" Alonzo is the only one who speaks with the terrians. " " West! " suddenly exclaimed Devon, " We couldn't go because of a special terrian place and they took Alonzo west. Maybe they hope to use him to get to this special place. "
" But Alonzo said the terrians would not let him near it. " Julia protested. " Yes, but only we know that. "
" If they force Alonzo to invade the terrian space, what will the terrians do? "
" I don't know, but we are going to find out. In the morning we go back and follow that western path. " concluded Devon.

Since he had awoken, his captures had not let him sleep for fear that he would contact the terrians. It was an exhausted weary pilot that collapsed to the ground before the opening of a small valley. He looked into the valley and saw in surprise the unopen container of one of his ship's cargo pods. Hamil walked up to him and dragged along a length of chain that they had stored there. He secured it tightly around Alonzo's waist. " Now, you are going to walk over to that pod secure the chain to it and we will pull you both back out. Do this and we will let you return to your friends. Try any tricks and I'll set this little toy to maximum and fry you. Understand? "
" Why haven't you gotten the pod? What has stopped you? " " Your friends the terrians, you better hope they like you a lot otherwise I won't have to bother about killing you. " Alonzo looked carefully around for the first time and realised in horror that he recognises the area. This was the terrians special place. " We have no right to by here, it is the terrians special place. " " We know that, lost three of our mates trying to get that pod. They took one step into the valley and this terrian zapped them dead. We still want that pod. Now get it for us. "

Hamil gave Alonzo a massive shove, sending him tumbling into the small valley. As soon as Alonzo's feet touched the dirt of the terrian valley he felt the spirit of a terrian rise up and engulf him. What he felt was different from anything else, it felt older, as old as the planet itself. Images that he could not comprehend filled his mind and also the sense of anger and intrusion increased. He realised that he had to leave, that he had no right to stand on this sacred ground. Alonzo turned, trying to return through the valley entrance.
" Oh no you don't." exclaimed Hamil. " You have already survived longer than any of the others did. Now turn around and get that pod. " Alonzo did not even heard him over the growing turbulence in his mind, he took another step back.
"If that's how you want it, " snarled Hamil. He increased the setting of the shock collar to it's highest pain level and spoke the command, " Charge! "
The pain erupted though out Alonzo, driving out even the presence of the old terrian. He fell to his knees as his scream echoed down the valley, darkness rose up in Alonzo and he collapsed unconscious onto the ground. As soon as Alonzo hit the ground a pair of terrian hand erupted from the earth and began to pull Alonzo down. It happened so quickly that by the time Hamil realised, Alonzo had already disappeared with the chain following him.
" Not so quick. " Hamil muttered as once again he changed the shock collar settings. " Lets see how you like a charge, dirt eater. " He activated the shock collar but this time it's charge was directed outwards and into the terrian that has taken Alonzo. " Pull him back up. " Hamil commanded when the chain had stopped moving. Alonzo was dragged back up to the surface and back into the penal convicts hand. A terrian erupted from the ground to stand at the beginning of the valley entrance. He surveyed those assembled and glanced for a moment at Alonzo's still form before he moved back down into the ground.

The colonists had not sighted any terrians as they moved along the west path. Soon they came to the narrow gap between valleys that Alonzo had mentioned. Danziger moved forward to scout the area and returned to announce that the next valley split into another four or five. There had been no signs of humans or terrians. No clue as to where Alonzo might be.
" Then we search them all. I will not leave Alonzo. " Julia stated. " Julia, we don't even know if he is still alive. It has been three days without any evidence of any kind. " commented Devon. " I do not CARE. You don't understand. HE came back for me, I can't leave without him. I WON'T! " Julia stormed away, before she had taken more then a few steps to the narrow pathway, there erupted before her a large terrian. Before all the group he assumed the hazy image of Alonzo and spoke to them.
" He that walks in dreams with us is in great pain. Those that are like you and not like you have brought this great pain to him in a way that we have known also." The figure of Alonzo reached up and touched his neck and they could suddenly see the collar that lay there. " He has walks where he should not but he was forced, so we will lead you to him. His thoughts are of you. " It seemed for a moment that it really was Alonzo before them when his hand reached out to Julia, smiling slightly with a look of great feeling in his eyes. Then he was gone and the terrian moved through to the next valley. " Okay, Baines, Walman and Yale, load up some weapons. We have a mate to bring home. " Danziger ordered as he lifted his own weapon and checked its charge.
" I'm coming. " stated Julia as she wiped away her tears and gathered her medical gear.
" Let's go then. " ended Devon. She turned to the rest of the group. " Make camp here. We will be back as soon as we can. "

The six colonist were quickly ready and began to follow the terrian as he lead them through a few small valleys until they were close to the special place of the terrians. Here he left them. "Okay, I've found them. " Quietly stated Walman into his gear, he was soon joined by the rest of the group as they peered over a small rise to find the penal convicts camped just beyond. There were six as Zero had stated, moving around the camp with little to do. Only one walked with any purpose and they watched as he approached the cliff face, he kicked at something on the ground but there was no response, one more swift kick had no effect. Another of the convicts approached him and the colonists listened to their conversation,
" Still out, eh Hamil? " Ford asked. " Maybe you gave him too much of a jolt."
" It wasn't set to kill. He could be still useful, maybe his friends will want him back. "
" Not if he's dead or as good as. "
" Well, he deserved it, siding with that terrian. " " Yeh, well about that. The others and me have been thinking, we aren't going to get that cargo pod so maybe it's time we were moving on. Foods getting scarce around here. "
Hamil looked over at the others, calculating how much he could push them, he took another kick at what was on the ground and this time got a response. Alonzo, still unconscious, muttered a painful groan.

" Alonzo! " hissed Julia quietly from where she hid. She had to force herself to remain under cover and calm now that she knew where he was and how he was treated.

" So it looks like he's going to open his eyes after all. Okay, Ford. We give pretty boy here one more chance at getting us that pod, doesn't work then we are out of here. "
" Right Hamil. " Ford moved back to the others letting them know what was going on. The colonists moved back out of sight and hearing range.

" Okay, we have to get him out before they try using him again. " Danziger stated. " Any ideas? "
" We need to get to Alonzo quickly before that Hamil has a chance to activate the shock collar. I'm not sure how much more Alonzo could take. " Julia added.
" Can you stop it or remove it without the control? " Devon queried. " Yes, I can block the signal but I will need the control to remove it without killing Alonzo. "
" Great, there is no way we can sneak both Alonzo and the control out. " Baines complained.
" Perhaps we will not need to, " commented Yale. " We need a diversion to take their minds away from Alonzo long enough for Julia to reach him and block any signal. Then they can be dealt with. " Danziger looked around thoughtfully,
" Julia, could you get down that slope beside where they've got Lonz quietly? "
" Yes. " she firmly answered.
" Okay, the rest of us will get them to look down the valley. You get to Alonzo. When you have him, lets us know and we will come back for you. I didn't see any weapons on them so lets hope they still remember what ours can do. "

" What do you plan to do, Danziger? " Devon asked. " What my mother always told me not to do, play with matches. Adair, you and Julia go to the top of the slope. Let's us know when you are in place and Adair, you keep Julia and Alonzo covered in case anything goes wrong. Okay, let's move. "
Danziger quickly led the others away before Devon could say a word.

"Danziger, we're ready." Devon's voice came over the gear and at Dangziger's nod, Walman and Baines started their little fire.

Ford was the first to spot the fire.
" Hey, Hamil. Looks like we have some company. " Hamil turned to the four men seated by the fire, " Grant, you and the others check it out. " Hamil and Ford moved to the camp edge and stood on guard while the others went to examine the fire. Julia took this opportunity to make her way carefully down the slope, halfway down she knocked a stone and it tumbled down. She froze as Devon brought her rifle to bear on the backs of the two men. However they did not turn round and Julia made it safely to the bottom. She quickly moved to Alonzo, he was beaten and bruised. His face unnaturally pale and breathing shallow. Julia wanted simply to gather him in her arms but she had things she had to do. Working quickly she blocked any signal from reaching the shock collar mechanics.

"Danziger, I'm with Alonzo. The shock collar is blocked. " Danziger gave the signal to Yale, they had watched the four men ease by and quickly decided to split up. Walman and Baines would deal with them while Danziger and Yale dealt with the two who remained in camp. They remained under cover till the last turn but would be spotted as soon as they took the last corner. Lowering the barrel of the gun they slowly began to walk forward.
" This better work, Yale. " whispered Danziger. " It will get us close enough. We cannot risk damaging the shock collar control. They will believe we want to bargain for Alonzo's return." " I hope so. "
Hamil brought the pistol he had seized from Alonzo to cover the two men approaching slowly. He waited till they were easily within range, then ordered them to stop.
" Hold it there. You're with that group where we found pretty boy, what do you want? "
" Our friend back. " Danziger replied
" What's in it for me? " Hamil demanded. " It would be wise to return him to us, " Yale began, " You must be aware that he is a friend to the terrians. Why, it was they who led us to you. If you do not release him to us then the terrians will have to deal with you personally. Is this what you wish? "
" Ah Hamil, I don't want to get the terrians too mad at me, you know what happened to Coiner. " Ford protested.
" The dirt eaters aren't going to do anything about him, if they were they would have done it before I nearly killed him. No, this is a bluff ain't it? " " You cannot prove it. " prodded Yale.
" You think so, do you? Well, say good bye to your friend then. " Hamil placed the pistol in his left hand and reached for the shock collar control, he altered the settings and lifted it up to his mouth. He smirked at the two before him.
" Bye bye, pretty boy. Charge. "
No sound came from Alonzo and for a moment Hamil turned to where Alonzo lay. It was all Danziger needed, he threw himself forward knocking the pistol down and seizing the shock collar control. He jumped to his feet and Hamil and Ford found themselves looking down a rifle barrel held in Yale's hands. After the two men were secured, Danziger joined Julia, giving her the control. She quickly had the shock collar removed, while Danziger released Alonzo from his chains. Julia took from the newly arrived Devon her medical gear and a quick scan revealed the damage.
" He doesn't have anything broken, but he has severe bruising around the ribs. He is suffering exhaustion. The worst is the electrical residue in his system, it is hindering his healing process and complicated the concussion he received. "
" Will he live, Julia? " demanded Devon as she looked down on Julia's head. Julia turned to look up revealing a bursting smile and tear filled eyes.
" Yes, he will be fine. Just in a lot of pain and discomfort for the next few weeks. I will have to let him recover as naturally as possible, he has too many electrically interferences in his system for me to add to it." " Can he be moved? " Danziger asked.
" It would be wiser to wait at least 12 hours, I want to monitor him closely. "
" Okay, it's near night anyway. We will camp here and make a stretcher in the morning. " Danziger moved away making arrangements for the night and helping Baines and Walman secure their prisoners and guard them.

It was moments from dawn, only Walman guarding the prisoners was awake. Alonzo felt as if he had climbed to the top of the highest mountain only to fall off it. He slowly opened his eyes and in the lightening sky was able to make out the person curled up beside him. He moved his hand, noting that it was not tied and reached up, feeling great relief when he realised that the shock collar was gone. He reached over and grasped Julia's hand before drifting back to a dreamless sleep.

It was mid-morning when they were finally ready to leave. Alonzo had again regained consciousness and was being helped to the stretcher by Walmanwhen a terrian suddenly erupted from the ground. He stepped forward, the power in his staff sparking so that Walman instinctively took a step back. Alonzo, too weakened to stand on his own began to fall. To the colonists stunned surprise, the terrian stepped forward and caught Alonzo in his arms. Before anyone could move, the terrian was gone and he had taken Alonzo with him.

Within seconds, all the penal convicts has also been taken down into the earth.
" They can't take him. The terrian knew he was forced to go with the others. They can't take him. " exclaimed Julia. " It seems they have." Devon answered, " Baines, Walman. I want you to go back to the others, tell them we are fine and that Alonzo is fine. We will wait here till he is returned. "
" You believe they will return him." Danziger asked. " They didn't lead us here to save him, just so they could take him. " " I hope your right. " Julia muttered as she stood waiting.

They waited for the rest of the day, through out the night and the morning of the next day. There were only a few hours of light left when something finally occurred. Danziger and Yale had spoken of the cargo pod and the waste of it, they were not about to try and get it. They had been examining it from a distant trying to identify it when, with a quiet rumble it sank down into the ground and disappeared.
" He understands that is does not belong there. " a voice suddenly spoke behind them. Danziger and Yale turned quickly around to find Alonzo standing before them with a terrian beside him. All the terrians they had so far see had been ageless but this one 'felt' old. " Alonzo " Julia called as she hurried forward, " Are you alright? " " Yes, I'm fine, Julia. They... he just wanted to talk. It is very special here, I know why now, it's his home. He is the oldest of them. " Alonzo turned to the Terrian and they stood quietly for a moment before the terrian reached into the ground and retrieve a staff similar to the one he carried. The terrian brought it forward and gave it to Alonzo, then he was gone. They crowded around, wanting to know what had happened, why he was taken and what he had learnt.

There were no more adventures as they returned to the camp and Alonzo told his story, leaving out only a few items. Later as he and Julia shared a late coffee, she turned to him and asked him, " Why did the old terrian give you a staff, Alonzo. " Alonzo was quiet for a few minutes then spoke softly, " It was a symbol of .... understanding, understanding of what I had been through and what he was, of what we shared. " " What did you share? " Julia prodded. " We are each the oldest of our tribes! " Alonzo finished with a slight smile as he gazed into the darkness.

The next day, the colonists discovered the cargo pod directly before them on their path.

-The End-


copyright@daniela signor - 1995

# Do you want me to spell it for you? Daniela Signor #
# - Alonzo Solace R.M.I.T #
# Melbourne, Australia #
# danni@rmit.edu.au #



This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.