ROCKY TERRIANS
By
Daniela Signor


Timeline: After Redemption (Day 51)
Author's E-Mail: danni@rmit.edu.au


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
Greetings all, another earth2 story dealing mainly with Alonzo and the terrians as they are my favorite. Set after redemption. Hope you enjoy it and any comments welcome.

Daniela.


ROCKY TERRIANS

The colonists moves slowly along the mountain trail, occasionally glancing up at the majestic mountains around them, in awe of such a different sight then any they had witnessed growing up on the stations.

Devon strode along, thankful for the geological maps they had of the planet, that were able to find a wide enough path for their party as they traversed the mountain range. They had been in the mountains for two days now, the allow the vehicles to recharge. She moved up to stand beside him, " How are the vehicle handling the terrain? " Devon asked. " Fine, Adair. How are you handling it? " Danziger mockingly asked. " Just fine. Even we rich station families had to walk under our own power on occasion."
" Very funny. " Danziger muttered as he went forward to check the ATV. He found Alonzo, sitting quietly beside the vehicle." So Lonz, how about another poker game in VR tonight? You can pick the program? " When Alonzo gave no answer, Danziger added. " Alright, I let you start with a hundred credits, not that you need it. I am sure you have rigged the VR program somehow to let you always win. " Still no response, " Hey Lonz? " Danziger shouted as he waved his hand in front of Alonzo's face." Sorry Danziger. " Alonzo muttered as he focused on the other man's face, " Did you say something? "
" Been having a long conversation with myself. What's up with you? "" I don't know. I feel like I'm about to hit a meteorite storm, that there something just waiting for me around the corner. Just old space pilot jitters, I guess. Don't worry about it. " Suddenly Alonzo's gaze zeroed in on Danziger, " Hey, did I hear someone mention poker. "

After a short rest period, the vehicles had charged enough to get them to a spot where they could camp for the night, so they moved on, taking that next corner. They had travelled for a few hours when the convoy came to an abrupt halt. From all directions, completely surrounding them had emerge creatures from the rocks. They appeared similar to the terrians but were smaller, even smaller in height then Bess. They were greyer in colouring, bulkier and instead of power staffs each held a small wand-like tool in their hands. These wands all pulsed with the same power to that of the terrians staff.

No one moved, unsure of what these new natives to G889 wanted. Devon called to everyone over gear, " No one make any suspicious movements. Baines ( who was in the lead ATV ) move forward very slowly. Lets see if we can ease out of here. "
Baines engaged the engine under the gazes of three natives and inched forward. The ground in front of him, suddenly erupted in dust and rock. He halted.
" They don't want us going forward. " He informed the group. They retried the manoeuvre but this time retreating, the same response. " I don't think they want us moving Adair. " Danziger stated. " Alright." Devon looked thoughtfully around, " Alonzo, can you talk to them? They seem almost terrian. " Devon concluded. " Rock terrians, maybe. " added Julia
" I can try. " Alonzo stated as he moved slowly towards one of the rock terrians. He halted when its wand began to spark with power. He bowed his head and closing his eyes, tried to reach these new creatures mind. He found himself on the familiar landscape of the dream plain but it was empty, no sign of life. He called into the silence but received no response. He brought himself out.
" No, I can't reach them. They weren't there. " He reported to the group.

Suddenly three of the rock terrians moved. They approached the transrover and the children who sat on the back of it. Both Devon and Danziger hurried forward to stand between their children and the rock terrians. The rock terrians considered the obstacles in their path for a moment, then the flanking rock terrians each lifted up their wands and jolt of lights flashed out and struck both Devon and Danziger. They collapsed to the ground, Uly and True crying out in alarm. The rock terrians moved to stand before the children, while Julia hurried forward and examined the two still people with the dia-glove.
" They're unconscious. There does not seem to be any lasting damage, they should wake up in an hour. " she informed the group. " Julia! " called Uly and Julia looked up to find him surrounded by the rock terrians. Their wands were joined together and Uly was surrounded by a soft glowing light. Julia was unable to get near Uly and use her dia-glove. This went on for about a minute then the light was extinguished and the rock terrians moved away. The three rock terrians returned to those surrounding the colonist and joined in their guarding. Only one kept moving, reaching the rock wall and casually stepping into it, disappearing from view.

Devon and Danziger had regained consciousness, suffering from only a slight headache. The children were sleeping and the rest gathered around a fire, discussing the situation they were in and glancing occasionally at the unmoving rock terrians that surrounded them. " What do they want? " exploded Morgan in a harsh whisper. " Now, Morgan relax. I am sure we will find out soon enough? " Bess quietly comforted him.
" That's what I am afraid of. " Morgan muttered and was universally ignored. " Yale, do you have any ideas? " Devon asked. " I believe they do not plan to harm us. They sensed that Uly was different and perhaps examined him. They may simply be curious about us. " " Then why after giving us the once over, don't they let us go? " Danziger asked.
" Maybe they are looking for something. " Julia added, " They approached Uly because they sensed his terrian traits and when he did not respond to them, then maybe they became confused and are waiting to hear from a real terrian. "
" Then we are going to be here a long time. " concluded Baines. " Maybe not. Alonzo, you said you could not talk to them. " Devon stated. " No, the dream plain was empty. " confirmed Alonzo. " Do you think you could, I don't know, call for a terrian. Perhaps if we can get one here, he could find out what these rock terrians want. " " I don't know, Devon. I've never tried anything like that. " " Just give it a go. " Julia suggested. Alonzo glanced thoughtfully at her and nodded.
" Alright, I'll try now. Julia, can you come and give me a sleep inducer." " Certainly. "
The two of them moved off towards Julia's tent and Danziger suddenly recalled what Alonzo had said earlier, how he had felt like he was heading for a meteorite storm. Not a pleasant experience for a pilot. Danziger hoped Alonzo was just suffering from the jitters but he was afraid the pilot had been right.

Alonzo's body lay sleeping on the cot in the med tent. The colonists had retired for the night and apart from the guards only Julia, Devon, Yale and Danziger were awake, sitting beside Alonzo. Julia monitored Alonzo with her dia-glove.
" He is entering REM sleep now. "

Alonzo found himself once again on the dream plain, standing alone on the barren sand. He found himself calling out into the silence but there was no response. He had to concentrate he realised, and so stood silently for a moment gathering all his thoughts. He formed the image of a terrian in his mind, than with all his will set it out from him. Time passed with no answer, finally as he was about to give up he felt a small feeble reply. He opened his eyes, searching for the terrian and spotted in the distance a lone figure. Again he called out and this time sensed a response. He went to move forward when suddenly the dream scape altered and Alonzo found himself surrounded by large rock walls. He turned around in surprise, trying to find a way out and back to the sand plain where he had found the terrian but all ways led only to more rocky passages. Suddenly from the walls erupted the rock terrians, they moved forward, surrounding him and driving him down a passage. There seemed so many and the emotions he felt from them were varied, intrusion, fear, searching, curiosity, invasion and finally hunting. They were hunting, Alonzo realised, they were hunting and they had found what they hunted for. He was what they hunted for, he was the hunted. He awoke in shock.

Julia looked carefully at the display, " His dreams are becoming more vivid, his pulse rate is shooting up. I don't like this. " " Is he in danger? " Devon asked.
" If his heart rate continues to rise in this manner, he will be. I may have to bring him out. "
As Julia reached for the stimulant, Alonzo sat abruptly up from the cot, gasping for air as he looked hurried around him. " What is it, Alonzo. What happened? " demanded Julia. " I met the rock terrians on the dream plain. " He answered when he had recovered his breath.
" I thought you couldn't reached them. " Devon stated. " No, I don't think they were aware that I was there. They don't use it often I think. They were surprised and unwilling to have me there. " " What happen, Lonz? " Danziger asked.
" They were all around me, crowding me and forcing me down a rock tunnel. I manage to get a sense of what they were feeling. They were searching, hunting.... hunting for ME. "

The silence that greeted Alonzo's remark was disturbed by a shout from one of the sentries.
" They're on the move." shouted Walman. " Danziger, they're headed for you. "
Danziger hurried to the tent entrance and glanced out. A number of rock terrians were approaching. He looked back at the four sitting at the cot, " Walmans right. They are coming here. "
" They're coming for me. " Alonzo harshly stated as he struggled to get up. Julia grabbed his arm.
" We wont let them take you. "
" You can't stop them. You saw what they did this afternoon. I don't know why they want me but as Yale said earlier, I don't think they mean any harm. " He pushed Julia gently away from him. " Don't get in the way Doc. It will be alright. "
Alonzo moved forward and exited the tent. The others followed closely behind. Five rock terrians approached Alonzo and linked their wands, Alonzo found himself in the same cocoon of lights as Uly had. He turned to Julia,
" It feels like being in a warm air pocket with a small breeze. See Julia, nothing to worry about. "
The glow around Alonzo suddenly deepen and thicken, Alonzo was completely covered by this light and could no longer be seen through it. Julia called out and took a step forward, but another rock terrian appeared and his wand sparked warningly. Yale reached out and held Julia back. There was no reply from Alonzo. The rock terrians released their wands and Alonzo collapsed to the ground unmoving, still covered by the strange deep glowing substance. Two terrians bent down and picked him up. They moved through the camp, followed by the others till they reached the rock walls. Here the rock terrians walked into the rock wall and disappeared through it, taking Alonzo with them. The guarding rock terrians all left, returning to the rock walls, leaving the colonist alone.

The colonists were all gathered around the dying fire the next afternoon as Danziger reported,
" We have searched the surrounding area, there is no sign of any tunnel entrances. Zero scanned where they took Alonzo through but all he could come up with was solid rock. "
" Then we will just have to wait and spread out our scouting area. There has to be some way into these mountains, we will find Alonzo. " " We can't stay too long. " Julia stated, shocking the entire group. " What? " shouted Walman, " You want to leave him? " Julia shot him a disgusted look, then addressed the others, " Our water is low but not critical however I haven't been able to find anything to supplement our food in this area. We have about three days with what is in stock. "
" Alright, you heard the doc. Three days, lets spread out and find Alonzo. " Danziger ordered. They began to split up into pairs when suddenly Morgan gave a shout. They found that the rock terrians had returned. Only three stood beside the rock wall and there was no sign of Alonzo. One lifted up it's wand and pointed to the trail path that they had been following. " What do you think he wants? " Danziger asked as no one moved. " I think it wants us to leave. " commented Yale. " They have what they wanted and now they want us gone. "
" Well we aren't leaving yet. " Julia stated firmly " So he better forget about trying to order us around. "
The rock terrians looked thoughtfully at Julia, not understanding her words but apparently understanding her feelings. Now the rock terrian pointed his wand towards the path where they had come from, a bolt of energy erupted from his wand and hit the rock cliff above the path. Rocks erupted from the wall and tumbled down blocking the path. The terrian moved his wand slightly and another explosion brought a rock slide down just beside their last tent.
" Hey! " shouted Danziger, " Watch what you do with those sticks of yours. "
" I think we should depart now. " Yale stated as the rock terrian moved his wand closer to their belongings.
" We have no choice. " Devon angrily stated. " Okay we are pulling out. Let's pack up and move out. " she ordered the group. Devon turned to Julia, " We wont go far. We are not leaving him Julia. "

They found themselves forced to travel further them they had wanted to as the rock terrians had shattered the rocks behind them every time they had tried to stop. Finally at the mountain base they halted and were unchallenged. They set up camp for the night, planning to return in the morning. Just as the sun was setting an enormous explosion was heard and the earth rumbled beneath them. Looking back to the canyon they had travelled along, they found it completely blocked off by a massive rock slide. They would not be returning in the morning.

Alonzo woke slowly, his eyes taking the time to adjust to the strange glowing light. He found himself in a small cave, the light seeming to come from all sides, touching the walls he found that the glow came off into his hand. He lifted it closer and found that is was some sort of luminous plant. He got up slowly, feeling oddly sore all over and walked over to the cave entrance. The passage beyond was deserted and quiet, he moved forward, looking without much hope for a way out of these tunnels and back to the others. He turned the corner and suddenly found himself before a rock terrian. Remembering the sense of invasion he had received from them on the dream plane he did not try to communicate. He would see if they wanted to talk first. The rock terrian simply turned and moved down the tunnel. Alonzo cautiously followed. The rock terrian led him through a maze of passages and caves. Finally in a large cave where the floor was dirt rather then rock they halted.

Laying in the center of the cave on the ground was the still form of a normal terrian, Alonzo slowly approached it and was relived when it open its eyes. Alonzo could sense it trying to talk to him and so knelt down beside him and opened his mind to the terrian. He found himself on the dream plain once again, sand beneath him and in the distance the terrian he had seen last time he had visited the dream scape. Suddenly the ground beneath him rumbled and the terrian stood before him. It swayed drunkenly and Alonzo realised for the first time that it was ill. He reached out and held the terrian, steading it. At their contact, Alonzo's mind was flooded with the events that had led to the terrian being here. He saw that the terrian had been injured by a falling tree branch that had left it dazed and confused. It had wandered for a long time till it had been found by the rock terrians. The rock terrians were a separate tribe that had long ago entered the rock heart of the earth, distancing themselves from the others till contact between the tribes was rare. Now the terrian had been healed by the rock terrians but was too weak to call to his tribe. It had sensed Alonzo's approached and asked the rock terrians to bring him to it so that Alonzo could help it reach his tribe. " How? How can I help you? " Alonzo asked. " Tell me? " The terrian looked into Alonzo's eyes and he knew what had to be done.

Alonzo once again found himself in the rock tunnels, moving around the weaken terrian he lay down beside it and after taking a fortifying deep breath, reached out and firmly grasped the terrian staff. After a dizzying sense of his surrounding spinning around him, he found himself erupting from the ground, standing upright with the staff in his hand and the spirit of the terrian within him. Letting the terrian control his action and giving it all his strength, he/it/they called out into the dream plain to their tribe. Again and again they called until Alonzo felt himself swaying in exhaustion. His strength was fading.

Suddenly there shot up from the ground two, five, eleven stone pillars and from each pillar there emerged a rock terrian. They gathered in a circle and linked their wands. With their wands crackly with power they brought it forward to touch the terrian staff. Power erupted through Alonzo and he felt a darkness well up within him as his nerves cried out in pain. But he held on to his awareness and that of the terrian within him, slowly they regained control and for one last attempt, with all the energy within them sent out a call to their tribe.

After only a few moments, terrians began to erupt from the ground as they responded to the call of one they thought lost. Alonzo sensed the great feeling of homecoming and welcome. He released the tight control he held on his mind. The darkness, finally freed, swam up and swallowed him.

Both terrians and rock terrians watched over Alonzo while he slept, letting time heal him. He had brought a lost terrian back home and helped two tribes met. They would kept him safe.

" It's been over four days since Alonzo was taken, how long are we going to wait? " Morgan asked.
" You want to abandon Alonzo. " demanded Julia. " No, but I also don't want to send my life waiting for a dead man. " " He is NOT dead. " shouted Julia.
" We do not know why Alonzo was taken, there is no reason to believe that they have killed him. " calmly stated Yale. " He may be alive or he may be dead. In the last few days we have try all we can think of to contact the rock terrians and get Alonzo back. We have not had any luck. We cannot stay here forever, we have others depending on us. We have to take a vote. Shall we give it one more day, if there has not been any sign of the rock terrians or Alonzo then we will leave the following morning or do we leave now or do we stay till we find out one way or another. " Devon suggested.
All agreed and a vote taken, they would give him one more day. Julia was unable to vote.

They had been travelling for an hour, the group subdued at having to leave one of their party behind. The morning brought to mind a similar one when they had left Julia behind, but this time it was a good friend not a traitor, one who they had no idea what situation he had found himself in or whether he lay trapped within those mountains.

Baines was once again in the lead ATV and Devon and Julia were walking silently beside each other at the rear of the convoy. They had spoken briefly, Julia accepting that the group had to keep moving but still hoping that Alonzo lived and would find a way to get to them. She kept remembering looking up from behind the bush as seeing Alonzo calling her name, having come back just for her. Danziger drove the transrover.

Danziger looked around at the country that they now travelled through, it had flatten out, with only a few mountains to the east of them. He found himself remembering the first time he had seen Alonzo, the daring sleep jumper ready for anything and the last time he had seen him, walking out to met the creatures that had been hunting him. Danziger shook his head, he was going to miss that crazy kid. His eyes turned to the mountains that had taken Alonzo and for a moment thought he had seen something, searching the area he again caught the glint of something reflecting the sunlight. He pulled the transrover to a halt and lifted a pair of binoculars to his eyes.

A figure slowly took shape and Danziger knew without a doubt who it was. He leapt out of the transrover and hurried to the ATV. " Get out Baines. Got someone to pick up. " Danziger leapt into the ATV and took of towards the mountains. Devon's voice came immediately to him over gear.
" Have you gone crazy, Danziger. What are you doing? " " I'm seeing things Adair. Things like Alonzo heading this way as alive as any one of us. "
" What? Where? "
Suddenly the gear was filled with shouts, " I see him. His over there. Walking towards us. Way to go Alonzo. Alonzo!"
Danziger pulled up beside Alonzo grinning widely at the pilot. " A bad penny always turns up. "
" When have you ever seen a penny, good or bad. " mocked Alonzo as he climbed into the ATV. " Am I glad you spotted me, thought I would be walking all day to catch up to you guys. " " How did you end up over here? "
" The rock terrians can only travel in the mountains, they brought me as close as they could and its a bit painful on the body moving through rock. I should have gotten a lift from a terrian the rest of the way but by the time I realised all the walking I had to do, they were gone. " " So what happened? "
" I tell you all tonight. " Alonzo commented as they rejoined the group, " Right now I am starving. "
Alonzo was surrounded by all the colonist, welcoming him back. Finally he turned to find Julia before him, running her dia-glove over him. " So Doc, where's my welcome? "
Julia threw her arms around him and gave him an almighty hug.

-The End-


copyright@july1995


# Do you want me to spell it for you? Daniela Signor #
# - Alonzo Solace R.M.I.T #
# Melbourne, Australia #
# danni@rmit.edu.au #

//from Usenet on 6/16/95

This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.