THE THIRD OUTCAST
By
Daniela Signor


Timeline: After "Moon Cross" (Day 61)
Author's E-Mail: danni@rmit.edu.au


THE THIRD OUTCAST

The terrian stood on the ridge, looking down at the humans camped below him. They were using the same domain as had the other two all those years ago. These new humans would end up the same way as the others, for this terrian had developed a liking for killing. The terrian watched the people below moving around and going about their normal activities. He would not kill them yet, the killing and it's pleasure were over so quickly. This time he would extend the thrill and enjoy the terror he had watched in those other humans before they died, the terror he would bring these humans below.

His gaze sharpened as the sound of children laughter reached him and he watched as the two children came running into the camp. The boy shared terrian blood, he could not be harm though he was an abomination. A man greeted the boy in passing, drawing the terrian gazed. This man was the one he would bring the greatest suffering too, this man was the one who had lead the terrians that had cast him out to the humans and the boy. This man MUST suffer. The terrian moved back into the shadows.

Alonzo looked up sharply, his eyes searching the ridge above him. For a moment he had felt ...... something, something not good. He gave a shiver, dismissing the notion from his mind when he didn't see anything and continued on to the biosphere.
" Hi Walman, Danziger in here? "
" Hi Lonz, yer he's here, over towards the back trying to fix one of the panels. "
" Thanks. " Alonzo moved through the nearly cleared biosphere, finding Danziger by following the sound of his curses. " Having some trouble , Danziger? "
" Very funny, Lonz. Pass me that wretch will you. " " Sure. Ah, you aren't going to like this but Baines is having some trouble with the single ATV. He was wondering if you can help him out. "
" Great, that's all I need. Adair's breathing down my neck to get this biosphere fully functioning because Yale is predicting snow of all things and now our vehicles are breaking down. " Danziger slid out from the panel he was under and gave Alonzo a considering look, " Hey what are you up to? "
" Oh no you don't Danziger. I'm scouting towards the south-west, Julia needs more vegetation samples. "
" Oh, really. " Danziger slowly answered. " I'm going alone so forget whatever you're thinking. " Alonzo began to make a strategical exit when he added, " Not that I haven't been thinking about it. "
Danziger was still chuckling when Alonzo left the biosphere.

Baines looked up as Alonzo returned,
" So? "
" He'll be out when he can. The two-seater ATV is fine, no trouble? " " Just checked it out, won't give you any trouble. Got your gear? " " Yes. I'll be back before dark. See ya. " Alonzo hopped into the ATV and drove out of the camp, heading pass the ridge. For a moment he again experienced the feeling of something bad or of something watching. He drove on. ignoring it and soon the camp was left far behind him.

The outcast terrian noted the man leaving alone. It was time to begin, to play some games with the alien animals, with the alien man. He bowed his head and sunk into the ground.

Julia paced up and down the camp edge, reaching again and again to her gear and calling out a name. There was no response, there had been no response for over an hour, ever since it had gotten dark and she had tried to reach Alonzo over gear. By the time the colonists had realised something was wrong it had been too dark to set out and search the area. They would have to wait for daylight. " Julia, " a voice call softly behind her. " Julia, come into the biosphere with me or try to get some sleep. Staying out here in the cold will not help Alonzo. "
" I know that Devon, " Julia angrily answered, " but I can't just sit around. He said he would be back before dark, he doesn't answer his gear. He could be hurt out there, dying. If I was just with him, then I could do something, ANYTHING. "
" The only thing you can do now is get warm. Come on Julia, let me buy you a coffee. "
Julia knew Devon was right, it was just so hard to do nothing, Alonzo had come to mean so much to her in the last weeks. She didn't want to lose him, she was scared, she realised. What would she do without him.
" All right, I'm coming. " Julia began to turn away from the darkness she faced when suddenly a movement caught her eye. " Wait, I see something. " She grabbed up the torch beside her, turning it on and moving forward. The beam from her light lit up the staggering figure approaching the camp. " Alonzo! " she cried out in joy as she rushed forward, closely followed by Devon. Julia lay an arm around Alonzo's waist as she led them back into camp and towards the biosphere where she had set up her medical equipment.
" Are you hurt? What happened? Where have you been? Why didn't you answer your gear? "
" Give me a chance to get my breath, Julia. " Alonzo gasped. As Devon went to his other side to help, he cried out in alarm. " Watch my shoulder, I think I dislocated it. " " What happened Alonzo? " Devon firmly asked. " It was just an accident, " Alonzo protested, " All of it was just one stupid accident after another. I would never believe any one person could have such rotten luck. "
Devon relaxed, glad that they were not again faced with some hostile force, she smiled at the chagrin in Alonzo's voice. No, their flamboyant pilot would not like admitting to being clumsy or foolish. " Come on, Alonzo. You had us all worried. Let's get you inside so Julia can fix you up and you can tell us all about it. "

There were cheers when Alonzo entered the tent, everyone happy to see him safe and everyone asking what had happened. " Enough. Let me treat him then he can give us all an explanation. " Julia interrupted.
With her dia-glove she quickly ascertained the extent of Alonzo's injuries. They were mainly bruises and scraps consisted with a fall as was the dislocated shoulder. She gave him something for the pain then positioned her gloved hand and with a quick jerk, brought his shoulder back in place.
" It will be sore for a few days and I don't want you straining it so you have to wear a arm sling " Julia informed him as she clean and bandaged his scraps. " Now, you all ready to tell us exactly what happened? "
Alonzo looked around at the expectant faces and knew he would have to explain everything to them. This story will haunt him for the rest of his life, he just knew it.

" Okay, " he began as he settled in a chair, " I left camp and had no trouble at first, the trail was easy and I managed to pick a few samples for Julia. Well it was getting late so I decided to head back. That's when it all happened. " He paused, looking at the biosphere roof, wondering the best way to proceed. " I turned the ATV around and that's when I saw it, a really beautiful ... ah ... example of vegetation." Alonzo rushed out. Yale sensing something was being left out, probed " What sort of vegetation Alonzo? "
" Well, it was a ... um ... flower. " He ended in a mumble. Grins and a few chuckles were found in those listening. " Anyway, I saw this flower and decided to get it. It was near the top of this small hill, so I stopped the ATV and got out. I had just picked the flower when, I don't know. I must have tripped over something or slipped, because I was suddenly tumbling down the hill until I slammed into the ATV. "
" That's how you got hurt. Really, Alonzo, I don't think that's anything to get embarrassed over, it's sweet that you wanted to get the flower. " Bess smiled gently from Alonzo to Julia. " You're right Bess, but ah .. that was just the beginning. I had some bruises and cuts but nothing bad so I got into the ATV and kept going. About half an hour later, the ATV must have hit a wet patch, suddenly it was swerving out of control. It slammed into a tree and well, the tree must have been old or something because a branch come crashing out of the tree and slammed right into me, missed the ATV completely. That's how I got the dislocated shoulder. I pushed the branch away, it wasn't really a big branch but it came down with such force, anyway I got out and checked out the ATV. Sorry Danziger, think I broke something underneath. It looks fine but I couldn't get it going. Anyway by this time the shoulder was getting painful, it was getting dark and cold so I went to call for a lift over gear. " Alonzo shook his head in confusion, " I still can't figure out how it happened, but that's when I noticed my gear was gone. I found it smashed under the tree branch. "
" So you walked back. " Yale stated, " Why did you not wait till morning when it would be light or was your shoulder troubling you? " " I planned to wait, but my luck had definitely left me. I got the camping gear out and was going to set something up when I stumbled over that blasted tree branch. I fell and dropped the gear, right down a small hole. Lost everything, including the torch. I decided right then that I was going to walked right back here before I killed myself trying to lit a fire or something. It is so dark tonight that I was tripping over something every few steps, finally I started to shuffle, moving my feet slowly forward over the ground. It was a long trip! " " Sounds like it was Lonz, never known you to be so unlucky. " Danziger commented. " And you just lost us another ATV until I can pick it up. Tell you what Alonzo, stay away from my vehicles for a few days okay? "
" Don't worry, Danziger. With that shoulder he's not going to be doing any driving. " Julia replied.
" As long as I'm not doing any walking, I don't care what you say. " Alonzo stood up and began to leave the biosphere, at the door he paused and turned back.
" And if you think I'm so unlucky Danziger, then maybe you'll like to have a game of poker tomorrow night? " he asked with a tired grin. " You're on! " Danziger answered as Alonzo left.

That night as Alonzo slept, he dreamed. He was back on the ship, trying to save them from being pulled into the atmosphere of G889. O'Neill was shouting at him to abort, he nods and begins to unstrap himself. Suddenly the straps become alive, wrapping around him, tighter and tighter. He was trapped in the pilot's seat. He called out for help but everyone had left, the computer was stating that all escape pods are away. He has been left behind. He looks out of the view port and sees the planet getting closer, the ship begins to glow as it heats up. Alonzo begins to burn, his clothes are alight and he feels the intense heat. The pain grows until everything goes black. Suddenly Alonzo is sitting up in his cot, gasping for breath. Julia is standing by the cot, looking at him in concern,
" Julia! " he called out in surprised, " I just had a dream, a nightmare really. " Before she can answer, the earth opens up beneath her and she falls down, the earth closing over her. " No! " shouts Alonzo as he tumbles from the cot and reaches for her. Devon and Danziger rush into the tent.
" It's Julia. " Alonzo shouts, " The earth took her, I was telling her about a dream, when ... " Alonzo halts in shock as both Devon and Danziger are swallowed by the earth.
" No No NOOOO! " Alonzo cries out as his friends are taken from him.

Julia rushed into the tent, hearing Alonzo's shouts from outside. She found him tossing and turning on the cot. " Alonzo, wake up! You're having a bad dream. " As she grabs his shoulders, he gave a shudder then abruptly opened his eyes.
" Julia! " He reaches out and hugs her tightly. " Alonzo, what's wrong? "
He starts to tell her, then remembers what happened to her in the dream. " Nothing ... it was nothing. "
" It was not nothing Alonzo, you were DREAMING. " " No. " He shouts back. He takes a deep breath and forces himself to go on calmly. " I was just lying here remembering, about an old accident I had. I suppose all my rotten luck today has brought all those old incidents back. It was nothing Julia, I just got carried away. " He knew she didn't fully believe him but she nodded anyway, she would drop it for now. Alonzo didn't sleep again that night.

In the morning Alonzo was able to shake off the feelings of death and disaster, though he still could not bring himself to discuss with any one his dreams. He wandered around the camp, helping out as best he could with one hand and generally making a nuisance of himself with everyone especially Julia. She had finally in desperation ordered him to fetch her a glass of water. Alonzo obediently headed over to the water storage, fetched a glass and brought it back. Halfway back he suddenly tripped and fell into some bushes, landing on his painful shoulder and dropping the glass.
" Damn! " Alonzo swore at his clumsiness as a sharp pain erupted from his shoulder. He carefully rolled to his other side and began to get up. He got to his knees before he was stopped, looking down he found himself coiled in some vines. He reached to disentangled himself when suddenly the vines tighten and he was pulled back to the ground. He began to struggle harder and for a moment the vines appeared to him as straps from a pilot seat.
" Hey, some one, HELP! " He shouted in panic as his dream and reality seemed to merge. " Get me loose! I'm trapped! " People from all over the camp began to arrive and easily free Alonzo. Julia knees down beside a shaking Alonzo, " Are you okay? Is there something else wrong? " " Yer Lonz, not like you to be so easily spooked? " Danziger asks. " It was just .... I'm sorry everyone, " Alonzo takes a steading breath, " It was just that I was on my injured shoulder. Thanks, I'm fine now. " He gets up with Julia's help and the two move off. Yale watches them carefully, he knows that Alonzo lied, for Alonzo had been on his uninjured side when Yale had arrived. As the two disappear into the tent, Yale murmurs to himself,
" Now why would Alonzo lie? "

Again that night, Alonzo dreamed. He is travelling back in the ATV, it's night and he is approaching the tent they had left standing for Julia. He has come back for her. He rushes into the tent but it is empty. He exited and calls out her name. Suddenly he sees her, she is coming out of the bush.
" I came back for you! " he says
" I knew you would. " She coldly answers, " That's why I have arrange a welcome for you. " Suddenly Reilly is standing beside her and both are pointing weapons at him. The image changes and Alonzo finds himself strapped to a table,
" I am going to remove you pineal gland, Alonzo Solace and when I do I will have your soul. " Julia informs him. " No Julia. " He cries out, " I came back for you. " " I want to thank you for that, Mr Solace. " Reilly states, " It saves us having to get you. Now we can examine you without disturbance. Don't worry. " He adds as Alonzo struggles against his bonds, " It will only hurt for a moment then you won't feel a thing, EVER. " Alonzo looks up to see Julia bringing a laser cutter closer and closer, until finally he feels it cutting into the back of his neck. Intense pain erupts for a moment then everything goes black. Alonzo drifts awake to find Yale beside him,
" Yale, I was dreaming. " He hears himself say and watches in horror as Yale is taken into the ground.

Alonzo opened his eyes, the sky was just beginning to lighten, he held himself still, not sure if he still dreamed. When nothing happened he relaxes and waits for the camp to stir. While he waited, he thought over what was happening to him. He did not dream or have nightmares except those that came from the terrians. Why would they be sending to him these terrible visions and the warnings of silence, he had barely slept for two days and did not expect to sleep much this night either. He needed answers and since the dream plain had turned into a nightmare, he needed to speak to the terrians direct. He would take a ATV today, no matter what Julia said about his shoulder.

Danziger looked up to see Alonzo standing over him, " Hey, stay away from me. Whatever you got it's catching? " " What do you mean? " Alonzo asked.
" Baines tripped and twisted his ankle, Magus slipped and bruised her shoulder and even Devon hurt her hand when she misjudged a distance. So far I am accident free and I plan to stay that way, so why don't you go jinx someone else. "
" They were just accidents, we all have them. " Alonzo answered sharply. Danziger looked up in surprise, " Sure, I was just joking, Lonz. "
" I'm sorry Danziger. I know you are, it's just ... " Alonzo run a frustrated hand through his hair, slightly afraid that Danziger was right. " I need a ATV Danziger. Got anything working? " Danziger finished what he was doing and stood up. " Just finished on this one. " He patted the single ATV, " but I need it to take Walman and I to the ATV you broke, you can have it after that. I don't want anyone taking out the 4-seater till I've checked it over. " When Alonzo started to look dismayed, Danziger asked, " It is important, Lonz. Can't you wait a day or so? " Alonzo knew he could not explain, " Sure. Just let me know as soon as you can spare one. " He turned and walked away before Danziger could say a word.

Alonzo was halfway across the compound when he heard Danziger shout out his name, he turned quickly and found a panel on the biosphere had loosen and was coming down. It crashed right into Alonzo even as he tried to dive out of the way, he felt it cut the back of his neck, he felt pain, then all was blackness. He awoke to find Julia bending over him, reaching behind him with some tool. Again dream and reality merged,
" No Julia! " he cried as he reached up and tightly seized her hand. " I came back for you! "
" Alonzo! " she exclaimed in surprise, trying to calm him she explained " It's okay. You were hit by a panel from the biosphere, it cut the back of your neck deeply and gave you a slight concussion. I'm just healing the cut now, you'll be fine Alonzo. Trust me. " " Yes Yes. " Alonzo forced his mind to see the reality of his situation. " I trust you. I trust you. " He drifted off to sleep. Julia looked up at the others gathered in the biosphere. " I've given him a sedative for the concussion, he's going to be fine. " " What do you think he meant when he woke up, that he had come back and for you to stop? " Devon asked " I don't know, normally one recalls the latest events but perhaps Alonzo recalled something earlier. It could have been when he returned for me but I don't see how that would cause him to panic at seeing me. "
" He was panicked yesterday also when he was trapped in those vines. " Yale added.
" He explained that, " Danziger protested, " he was on his bad shoulder. "
" No, he lied. He was lying on his good side when we arrived. " " What are you suggesting Yale? " Devon asked. " I do not know, but I think something else is happening here. There have been too many accidents, we are getting nervous and anxious. Alonzo seems the one most affected and it began with his scouting trip. I think we should investigate that more thoroughly. " " I was going to go out and check out the two-seater tomorrow. " informed Danziger.
" I think we should leave now, it is still early. " Yale stated " We? " queried Danziger.
" We don't want to miss anything and I record all I see. " " Okay, let's go. " Danziger and Yale headed for the exit. " Oh, one thing before we leave. " Danziger said. " Alonzo had just asked for the use of an ATV, seemed disappointed when I didn't have one. We'll be taking the four-seater so he can have the single ATV after all. Watch him though, don't let him go anywhere alone. " He shrugged and kept moving.

It only took them a few hours to reach the abandon ATV. Danziger and Walman gave Yale a chance to record the entire area before they moved forward.
" Didn't Alonzo say something about a broken branch? " queried Walman as he looked around the area.
" Yes, that's how he dislocated his shoulder. " answered Danziger. " Then where is it? "
" What? " Danziger looked around, noting the healthy trees surrounding the ATV and on the ground there was no sign of any broken branches. He spotted something in the shade of a tree and moved forward, picking it up.
" At least he wasn't wrong about his gear, this is crushed. " He passed on the destroyed gear to Yale.
" I found the camping gear. " Walman calls from behind a tree, he returns carrying it. " But it wasn't in some hole, just lying on the ground. The torch is fine. "
" I don't like this. " Danziger stated as he hopped into the two-seater ATV. " A lot of things aren't like Lonz said. There is no branch, the camping gears fine, " Danziger tried to start the ATV, it started smoothly and moved forward with no trouble, " and this ATV is working. What the hell happened? "
" The question now, " stated Yale, " is whether Alonzo was telling the truth or not? "
" Come on Yale, " Walman protested, " apart from the gear, nothing Alonzo said is true. "
" Yes, the gear. It is smashed beyond repair, totally. You would expect if something fell on part of it or all, that sections would be flatten, but this gear is twisted, as if someone grabbed it and crushed it between their hands. There is also Alonzo's shoulder. There is no way Julia could have been mistaken, it was dislocated. " " So you are saying Alonzo told the truth, " Danziger asked, " then how do you explain things here? "
" We must assume that someone or something changed things after Alonzo was gone. It follows then that events were not a series of accidents but deliberate attempts to injure Alonzo. " " Then if we follow through with your theory, the accidents in camp haven't been accident at all. Look Yale, Walman and I checked that panel that fell, there was no signs of tampering. It was simply worn out. "
" This is a strange planet Danziger, if we have encountered something new, who knows what it can do. Make a panel fall just when Alonzo walks underneath it without leaving any traces perhaps. " Yale responded.
" Great! " complained Walman. " Penal convicts, killer cyborgs, exploding bullets and now an invisible monster going around dropping things on us. Thanks Yale, I'm going to sleep just fine tonight. " he ended sarcastically.
" What ever it is, whether Alonzo was mistaken or we have all become less cautious or we have found something new, we have to get back to camp and let the others know what we have found. " Danziger concluded. " Lets go. Walman you take the four-seater with Yale. I'll led with the two-seater just in case there is something wrong with it. " The clearing was soon empty, nothing stirred.

The sedative began to wear off after a few hours but before Alonzo awoke, he dreamed. Alonzo squatted beside the small cliff, watching out for whatever had attacked them and injured Yale. He glanced around and noted that Julia was watching him with a strange smile. Suddenly she jumped up and shouted," Magus, Baines. Drop your weapons! " He watched as they dropped their weapons, wondering what Julia was up to. Suddenly Zero called out a warning, a projectile was approaching. He looked up trying to find it, glancing around he was surprised to find everyone watching him. He stood up, grasping his weapon as he realised something was wrong. Zero's warnings halted and the projectile struck, Alonzo cried out in pain as he was hit in the leg. He went down, crying out for Julia. She came over to where he lay and stated,
" I'm sorry Alonzo but we decided. We are leaving, the ZED will come for you and when you explode, you will destroy him too. It is for the good of the group Alonzo, you understand. " " No Julia! " he cried as she walked away. Suddenly the camp is gone and he can see the transrover and ATV in the distant, travelling away from him. " No Julia! Julia! "
He closes his eye to shut out the sight of his friends leaving him to die, when he opens them, the ZED is standing before him. Suddenly the pain in his leg grows worse and a beeping begins, getting quicker and quicker. Abruptly it halts. For only a moment he is aware of his body exploding, then everything goes black. Alonzo opens his eyes weakly and looks without surprise at Baines and Walman standing before him. He cannot stop himself from speaking as he says those words. " I had a dream. "
The ground opens and the two men stink into the earth. " No no. " Alonzo cries hopelessly in his sleep. " No ... "

He woke soon afterwards, disturbed by someone moving around. He opens his eye to find Julia seated with her back to him, he waits, unsure if he was really awake. She must have been aware of his eyes for she turned around,
" Hello sleepy " She gently said. " How do you feel? " " My head aches and my neck is stiff. " " That should past within a day or two. Do you remember what happened? "
" I was talking to Danziger, then .... something fell on me. You were cutting my neck! " He ended harshly.
" No Alonzo, " she said in concern, " the panel cut you. I just healed the cut. "
" Oh oh yes, that's right. "
" You were worried earlier by me touching your neck. What's wrong? "
" Nothing. "
" Alonzo, I think this has gone on long enough. You have been having some intense dreams lately. You have been acting strange and getting panicked easily. Is it the terrians? "
" No. You're wrong Julia. I have NOT been dreaming. " " Okay, you don't want to tell me. " She stood up, stiff with hurt at Alonzo lack of trust, " but do not lie to me again! " She turned and walked for the exit, " Julia ... wait ... I have been ... " Alonzo halted in shock, having not fully believed what would happen if he told someone about his dreams but now he watched at the ground around Julia's feet stirred.
" What! You've been what Alonzo? " Julia prodded. " Nothing .. nothing. " Alonzo turned wearily away, closing his eyes. Julia left without another word, the ground quiet beneath her.

Alonzo sat quietly, sipping the hot drink presented to him by Bess. He tried to figure out what was happening to him. He was afraid of the strange copies of his dreams in real life, the vines, Julia and his cut neck. What would happen now after his last dream, an explosion somewhere. He had to leave, to get away from the others, he was a danger to them while this was happening to him and he still had to talk to the terrians. Finishing of his drink, he reached a decision and left the biosphere. Looking carefully around the camp, keeping an eye out for Julia or Devon, he made his way to the single ATV. He noted that the four-seater was gone and realised Danziger must have taken it to get the other ATV. For a moment he wondered why Danziger had told him that he would be using the single ATV. He sat gingerly down, careful of his shoulder, neck and head. " Where you going Alonzo? " Morgan asked causing Alonzo to jerk in surprise. He groaned as he moved his neck without thinking. " Just checking on some things, Morgan. I'll be back later. " " Are you sure you are up to it, you've had an eventful last few days. " " I'll be fine Morgan. "
" Okay. " Morgan stood back as Alonzo slowly reversed and turn the ATV.
" Hey wait, you don't have your gear. " shouted Morgan. " It's broken. "
" Then take mine. You know the rules, no leaving the camp without gear. "
" Yes yes thanks Morgan. Gotta go. " Alonzo finished in a rush as he spotted Julia looking searchingly around. He engaged the ATV and headed quickly out of the camp.

Julia was worried, Alonzo wasn't in the biosphere and while he was healthy enough to move around the camp, she didn't like his mental state. He seemed so burdened. She shrugged, it was difficult to explain her fears for Alonzo. She looked around the camp, unable to spot him. She watched Morgan as he approached her. " Morgan, have you seen Alonzo? "
" Yes, you just missed him. "
" What do you mean, missed him? " she demanded. Morgan stepped back in surprise, " He uh he just left in the ATV. " " Damn. " Julia reached up to her gear, then suddenly remembered. " He doesn't have his gear. "
" Oh that's alright. " Morgan quickly replied. " I've gave him mine. " " You aren't so bad sometimes. "
" Oh thanks, ... I think. " Morgan moved on. " Alonzo. Alonzo. Answer me! " Julia called on gear. Alonzo's VR image appeared before her.
" Yes Julia. You wanted something? " he asked casually. " What do you think you are doing? "
" Just have to check something out. Don't worry I'll be fine. I'll talk to you later. Solace out. "
The commicae abruptly halted. Julia tried to re-establish contact but Alonzo wasn't answering.

There was no trouble with the two-seater ATV so Danziger, Walman and Yale were soon back at the colonist camp. Danziger looked up as Devon and Julia hurried to where they were parked. He spoke before they could say a word,
" Where's Alonzo? "
" That's what I was about to tell you Danziger. Alonzo took the single ATV over an hour ago, he headed out of camp towards the southeast. He didn't tell anyone where he was going or why. " " Great, if something is after Alonzo, then he has just given it the perfect opportunity to get him. "
" After Alonzo? " Julia asked sharply, " What do you mean? " " It is just a theory Julia. " comforted Yale, " We found some obvious discrepancies in Alonzo's story. The ATV was not damaged, the camping gear was not lost and we could not find any broken tree branches. We need to ask him a few questions, to try and find out what really happened. "
" I knew something was wrong, he hasn't been sleeping well the last few days. I've asked him if he has been dreaming but he insists that he hasn't, even though I am positive he is. I thought he was finally going to talk to me this afternoon but then he stopped, almost as if he was afraid to tell me. " Julia angrily stated as she began to pace nervously. " Do you have any idea what he dreamed about? " Devon asked in concern, still uncomfortable with the terrians since their last contact and the effect on her son.
" No. "
" We are just going round in circles, we need to talk to Alonzo. " Danziger insisted.
" He took Morgan's gear. He hasn't been answering us but maybe he'll talk to you. " Devon stated.
" Okay, I'll try. " Danziger reached up and put on his gear, activating it.
" Lonz, it's Danziger. Come online. " He waited a few minutes and was rewarded by a response.
" Solace here. What's up? "
" That's my question. We need to talk, where are you? " " I'll be back tomorrow. Solace ou.. "
" Hold it Lonz. We picked up the ATV and found some mighty strange things. "
" Like what? "
" No tree branch, no hole and ATV working. " Alonzo was quiet for a few moments, " So you think I made up some story about what happened? " he replied. " No but we don't think it was an accident. " " No, I don't think it was, that anything was an accident. I've got to find out what's going on Danziger. I need some answers, I'll be back later. Solace out. "
This time he didn't listen to Danziger as he tried to keep talking. " Damn, he knows something about this but he's not talking. We'll just have to wait till he comes back and hope he's found the answers he's looking for.

The terrian felt a thrill rush through him at the power surging within him. He had control over these humans, he had them running around in confusion and unease. Now the human man had gone off alone, running away in fear and terror. He would let the man spend one last disturb night then go after him and end this game. This time HE would take the human life, slowly and painfully, so he could enjoy the full power of it. Tonight, now that the other humans were aware that they were being toyed with, he will bring a deeper terror to them. A sound echoed down into the colonist camp causing them to stop and look warily around. They could not identify the sound for they had never before heard a terrian laugh.

Alonzo drove without rest, wanting to reach the terrians and Mary as quickly as possible. As night approached he pulled the ATV to a halt before the cave entrance. He eased out of the ATV seat and tried to relax tense and sore muscles. His shoulder ached from the demands of driving and his legs felt numb. He wished he could just lay down and sleep for a day but sleep was the last thing he would let himself do. He stretched slowly then gathered up his torch and entered the cave. He moved along, travelling towards the terrians sleep chamber where he hoped to find Mary. He didn't want to have to dream with any terrians until he found out why they had turned the dreams plain into a nightmare. Turning a corner he found a terrian standing before him, he sensed the terrian trying to communicate and his confusion at Alonzo's refusal to dream. The terrian turned away and as Alonzo followed him, he hoped that he was being led to Mary.

The chamber was filled with terrians, sharing the confusion of the first terrian. Mary also squatted among them. " Mary! " called Alonzo in relief. " I have to talk to you! " Mary looked up and stated firmly. " Not talk, dream! " When Alonzo refused to go to the dreams plain, Mary gave a trill and the terrian behind Alonzo reached out to send him there. Alonzo started forward in fear. " No! " he shouted, " not until I find out why you've been sending me visions of my death. " Mary shared with her tribe Alonzo's words and a feeling of disquiet settled over the group as they recognised the humans fear. " What visions? " Mary asked.
" Ever time I go to sleep, I dream of the past, but it is changed horrible and I always face death. Then when I think I am awake and try to tell my friends what I dreamt, they are taken, swallowed by the earth. " " We do not send you these dreams. We have not shared dreams with you since Moon Cross. "
" If it isn't your tribe then maybe it is another, all I know is that I only have terrian dreams. That's not all, after I dream the events became real. I dreamed once that I was trapped and the next day I was trapped by some vines. Then I hurt my neck and now I am afraid that an explosion will occur. Mary, you have to help me! " " Your words are too fast, too confusing. Alonzo, you must dream. " When it looked like Alonzo would refuse, she continue. " You have to trust me Alonzo, the tribe will keep you safe in the dreams plain. " Alonzo thought about this for a moment, realising he had to trust Mary and the tribe. He agreed reluctantly. " Okay. Alright. " Alonzo bowed down his head, closing his eyes and entered the dream plain.

Julia looked up as another colonist entered the biosphere, she asked wearily,
" What happened Bess? "
" I was just carrying over a drink for Martin when I tripped. I've hurt my wrist. "
" I'm all out of wrist supports and must everything else for bruises, sprains and cuts. Whatever is out there is having a growing affect on us. Seat down Bess, I'll be with you in a moment. " Julia looked back at her current patient. " Okay Yale, that should heal in a few hours, try to rest that arm. It was a nasty cut. " " Thank you Julia. "
" Next. " She called feeling like an intern again, treating every little thing after a crowd accident. She looked around at those gathered, nearly every one was suffering from some small injury, herself included she recalled as she eased her bruised knee. At least the injuries were still minor and they had discovered they seemed unaffected inside the biosphere. Devon had ordered everyone remain inside unless it was absolutely necessary to go out. Unfortunately every time some one stepped out, they came back needing her care. She paused as she bound up another sprained wrist and thought of Alonzo. If they were being affected by something or even being deliberately hurt, then how was he. Was he safe or again suffering from some accident, perhaps not so minor this time. She wondered briefly why Uly had not been hurt.

An hour passed without any accident, it seemed whatever was troubling them was gone. The colonists emerged slowly from the biosphere, limping, shuffling, holding injured parts and generally walking as if on eggs. No one tripped, nothing fell on any one and everything was quiet.
" Well it seems things are normal. " Danziger stated. " For now. " Devon replied. " Let's keep around camp till we hear from Alonzo and the answers I hope he has found. " Julia looked around, a shiver going through her as she felt someone or something watching her. She shook off the feeling and slowly moved back into the biosphere, there were injuries she needed to check on.

Alonzo looked around, relieved to find himself in the familiar landscape of the dream plain. He stood in the terrian cave, surrounded by terrians and he felt safe. He searched for Mary and she emerged from the tribe.
" Show us Alonzo, we need to see what you have seen. To find out what has been happening on our dream plain. " " Show you? I really don't want to go through that again. " protested Alonzo.
" We have to know, " was her only reply. Alonzo glanced around, sensing the concern and interest from the tribe. It was the only way to tell them exactly what had been happening. He chose the least traumatic method and share with them a vision. He was again in the ship, trapped and burning in the atmosphere. Suddenly he wasn't alone, Mary joined him in the cockpit and released him from the straps. She nods behind him. Alonzo turns and finds the shadowy outline of a terrian standing just behind the pilots seat. He is staring at the seat and the emotions Alonzo senses from the terrian are glee and malicious pleasure. Alonzo jerks away in shock and finds himself returned to the dream plain. Mary and the terrians are standing solemn around him. " We know who has sent you these altered dreams. He is an outcast. " " What? Another outcast, did he kill your parents also? " " No, he led the others that have been forgiven to that sin. He hoped to remain in the tribe since he did not kill then, but the tribe knew that he had watched and enjoyed the killing. We had thought him gone, he has not tried to return as the others did. " " But why is he doing this to me, to the others too. " " He is one that has gone willingly from our tribe. His thought became separate, but before he left he shared with the tribe the emotions he had felt at the killing of my parents. He experienced a strange sense of power that he lusted after. We believe that he has done these things to you and to your friends because it gives to him what he desires, the emotion he felt before. You must guards yourselves Alonzo, he has tormented you but soon that will not be enough. He will kill and this time do the act himself. Beware Alonzo. "

Alonzo wakens from the dream plain to find himself alone with Mary. " Can you help us? " Alonzo asks.
" The outcast is not of our tribe. He is not of our concern. " Mary paused for a moment looking at her friend, " I am sorry Alonzo, but only a threat to the boy will cause the tribe to act. Go now, return. It is safe to tell your people of your dreams. The outcast does not have lightening but he is still a child of the earth. " Though Alonzo wanted to say more, to find out more answers and to demand help, he did not.
" Thank you Mary. " He turned and left, returning to the camp.

The outcast terrian felt a rage built within him, the human man had not run away in terror, he had gone to the tribe. Now the man would know who tormented him and he may even stir the tribe to action against him. The outcast struggled with his rage at being wrong about the human, about having his plans altered. It was not his fault, the terrian reasoned, it was the human. All his troubles were due to the humans and especially this human, this man who had gone where he was not permitted, into the tribe. The man must be punished! The outcast recalled the other humans, the two of them had suffered greatly but he remembered that the man had felt added pain when the woman was hurt. Pain of the spirit. This man had such a woman, the outcast recalled the woman that was most often with the man. Yes, he could bring great suffering to the man by taking and hurting the woman. With a new plan, the outcast terrian sunk into the ground, leaving below him in the valley a small ATV struggling along the terrain.

The door to the biosphere swung open and Julia stepped out into the afternoon light. It had been hours since anyone had been injured and people were just starting to relax. Julia stretched tired muscles as she moved over to the camp edge, loosing up her legs after sitting over injuries for most of the day. She called a greeting to Magus, who stood guard at the perimeter.
" Any sign of Alonzo? "
" No, nothing stirring out there. "
Julia tried not to worry about Alonzo but it was difficult when she knew that something out there was after them. She tried her gear of the off chance that Alonzo was talking. " Alonzo, it's Julia. Are you there? "
Only static replied, she was just about to shut her gear down when it changed into Alonzo's face.
" Julia, I'm coming back. I'll been in camp in about two hours. There are a few things I have to tell everyone. " " Are you alright, something been attacking the camp. " " Attacking! " Alonzo exclaimed. " Are you alright? " " I'm fine. There have been just small accidents. " " Oh. Nothing worse then when I left? " " No, but until a few hours ago we could not leave the biosphere. " " Damn, it is another terrian outcast. You all have to be very careful. I'll be there soon. Solace out. "
" We will. Take care. "

Julia lowered her gear, feeling better. It was a relief to know Alonzo was fine and to know what they were up against. She turned to return to the biosphere and informed the others of what Alonzo had told her. The ground began to shake violently beneath her. As Julia struggled to stay on her feet she glanced around to find out what was happening, she was shocked to find the rest of the camp calm and motionless. " Magus! " she cried in fear just as the ground gave a last heave and knocked her to the ground. Suddenly a pair of terrian hands erupted for the dirt, wrapping themselves around Julia's waist and slowly dragging her down. Magus arrived in time to see the ground close over Julia, covering her from sight. The ground stilled and everything returned to the way it was, except for one thing, Julia was gone.

Alonzo had been glad to hear from Julia. He was surprised when neither Devon or Danziger came on gear demanding more answers. It seemed that perhaps Julia had convinced them to wait until he was there and could tell them in person. He had spent most of the journey trying to figure out a way to handle the outcast, but he was having no luck. He looked around, noting the familiar landmarks, he would be back in camp in ten minutes.

As the ATV rolled into camp, no one came rushing out to greet him or demand answers. Alonzo stepped uneasily from the ATV and hurried to the biosphere. Inside he found only the children and Bess. Bess was on gear, coordinating a search by the look of things. " Hey Bess, what's up? "
Bess started at the question and spun around. " Alonzo! Am I glad to see you, you have to talk to the terrians. " " I just have. What's up? " he again demanded. " It's ... " an uneasy look came over Bess's face and she walked over to lay her hand on Alonzo's arm. " It's Julia, Alonzo. She was taken by a terrian, Magus saw it. We are searching the area for a cave opening, something. "
Alonzo went pale and sat down in shock, he knew who had taken Julia and he believed he knew why.
" There is another outcast terrian. It was him that's been causing all the accidents, injuries and my nightmares. Now he has Julia. " Alonzo stood up and wandered away from Bess, muttering to himself. " I have to get her back before he .... hurts her. " He spotted the cot in the corner and strode quickly over to it, before Bess could move he had laid down and closed his eyes. The outcast had been waiting and Alonzo was pulled into the dream plain.

He found himself camped under the stars, on a scouting mission for the colonists. He looked up and saw the familiar sight of two moons as they approached each other. Soon they would cross, Alonzo lay back and slept. He awaken suddenly when he felt hands upon him and found himself being dragged off by two terrians. He shouted in surprise and anger, asking what they wanted and where were they taking him. The two terrians were too strong and Alonzo was quickly pulled away and into a small cave. He was shocked to find Julia there, she lay still on the ground and when he was released he hurried over to her. He reached for her, feeling a growing sense of dread pervade him as he felt the coldness of her body. He turned her away and began to shout in horror as he found her face covered with blood. She was dead.
" No Julia! No, you can't be dead. Julia! " Alonzo confronted the two terrians that had brought him here and demanded to know why, why had they killed her. They gave no answer, only lifting up bloody clubs and approaching Alonzo. They struck at him repeatedly until even the pain faded from his mind and everything went black.

Alonzo felt the cycle begin and knew he would waken falsely to speak to one of his companions. He opened his eyes to find Bess and Morgan before him,
" I am not playing your games any more. " Alonzo forced out, struggling against the command to act out the charade. His head began to ache but he continued.
" I know who you are, outcast. I will not let you hurt us any more. I want Julia back. Do you hear me? "
The scene altered abruptly and Bess, Morgan and the camp disappeared to be replaced by a small terrian cave, identical to the one he had found Julia's dead body in. The outcast stood in the centre and Julia lay against the wall, held by a number of vines. " I hear you human. " the outcast mocked. " Your threats are meaningless, you have no power. "
" I have the power that you desire, you want to feel again what you felt when Mary's parents were murdered. Only I can give it all to you, only I walk the dream plains and only I can share with you what you lust for. You took Julia to hurt ME, well I hurt. Do you feel it? " Alonzo let the pain, worry and fear well up within him. " Ah yes, the pain I give you. The power. The power. " " The power is mine. Without me you would feel nothing, sense nothing and if I am gone, then it is gone. " The outcast laughed, " You will not go while I have this one. " " To stop you hurting her I will do anything, even die. I will not return to the dream plain while you have her, I will deny you the power. " Alonzo forced himself awake, tearing himself from the dream plain and from Julia. He was taking a great risk with Julia's life but he had to use what little power he had and pray Mary had been right about the outcast's true desires. He hoped to get Julia released, that the outcast would believe that he could deal with her and the others after he had taken Alonzo. Alonzo prayed he was right, that he was the one the outcast wanted above all, enough to give Julia back.

Bess had informed the others of Alonzo's return and sudden departure into terrian dreaming. Devon, Danziger and Yale had left the search and returned to camp to talk to Alonzo. They found him staring into his drink, waiting.
" There was another outcast terrian, it was him that caused all our accidents, injuries and now he has Julia. " " What does he want? " Devon asked.
" I spoke to Mary. She says that this terrian want to see us suffer, to kill us and to feel it, to feel the power it gives him. " " You're saying that Julia is dead. "
" No! " Alonzo looked up for the first time to stare harshly at Danziger. " She is not dead. "
" How do you know Alonzo? " Yale asked. " I've been to the dream plain, spoken with the outcast. Julia was there, alive. "
" What does this outcast want? " demanded Devon. " At the moment to see us suffer. He is watching us. " Devon stood up in frustration and began to pace the room, " What can we do? "
" Nothing, the outcast will contact us. " " Can't you go to the dream plain, talk to him again. " Alonzo winced, even knowing the visions were fake, the dream plain had became a world of pain and death.
" What is it Alonzo? " Yale asked as he had seen the expression on his face.
" The dream plain is his domain for now. I don't want to go there unless it's absolutely necessary. "
" What's been happening? " Danziger asked. " Just nightmares, he's been taking my memories and altering them. It has not been pleasant. "
" Why didn't you tell us? " Devon demanded. " There were reasons. " Alonzo gave her a hard stare, not wanting to discuss his dreams. " Now all we can do is wait, it may be wise to call the others back. I don't know what this outcast is going to do. " " Okay. " Devon agreed, saying nothing as Alonzo left the biosphere. She turned and told Bess to call everyone back.

The rest of the day and night past without comment, no one noting that Alonzo had not slept. The camp was subdued through out the morning and everyone was tired. Another day and night passed, with people beginning to feel the need for action. Alonzo has still not slept, keeping himself away from the dream plain. Those that noticed his fatigue put it down to concern over Julia's kidnapping. Finally something happened.

Baines rushed into the biosphere,
" We have a terrian on the ridge above camp. He is just waiting there. "
The colonist rushed out, when the terrian spotted Alonzo he gave a trill. Alonzo nodded to show that he had heard and turned to the others,
" He wants to talk. I'm going to have to go into the dream plain. " " Will you be alright, Lonz. " Danziger asked. " Yes, lets go back into the biosphere. I might as well be comfortable for this. "
Alonzo sat down at the table and the colonists arranged themselves around him. Closing his eyes, he rested his head on the table and let himself feel the exhaustion of days without sleep. He quickly began to dream.

The cave was the same, the outcast in the centre and Julia bound by the vines, asleep.
" You are strong, human. I will release this one, who is weak but there is a price. I want you here human, where you will not be able to deny me. Come to me and I will let this human go. " " I agree, but I will not come to your cave. Bring Julia to our camp, I will come to you then. "
" No I will not be tricked, you have weapons that can kill. I will not come to your camp. "
" Then beyond it, the valley behind the ridge on which you stood. There I shall come alone and you shall bring Julia. When she had been freed, I will come to you and give you the power you need. " " It shall be as you say. Come soon! "
The outcast left the dream plain and Alonzo emerged to find himself back in the biosphere.
" Well! " demanded Devon, " What did the outcast say? " " He wants a chance to return to the tribe as the other outcasts did. " " I'm not trusting him with Uly! "
" No Devon, he only wants to talk to the tribe at the moment. He hasn't harmed Julia. I need to talk to Mary. " " You are not going out there alone, Lonz. We haven't forgotten that he came after you first. Walman and I will go with you to see Mary. " Danziger decided.
" I really think ... " began Alonzo but was interrupted by Devon, " Danziger's right. You go together, gear online so we can monitor. " Alonzo realised his attempt to get out of the camp alone had failed, he could not tell them the truth, they would try to stop him. Even if it cost him his life, he had to go through with the trade, he had to save Julia.
" Okay, just give me a few minutes, I need to clear my head. " Alonzo casually stood and eased out of the biosphere, once outside his pace quicken. He doubted he had much time before they realised he wasn't coming back. He heard Baines, who was still on sentry duty, call out his name and turned giving him a brief wave. Alonzo broke into a run as soon as he was out of sight and was quickly outside the camp.

Baines activated his gear, curious as to Alonzo walking around alone. " Hey Danziger, what's Lonz up to? "
" Up to? What do you mean? "
" He just hurried out of camp. Has he found out where Julia is? " " What! No, damn he must be up to something. We have to go after him, I'll be right out. "
Danziger came off gear and turned to the colonists, " Alonzo just left camp in a hurry. I'm going after him, Walman you come with me. I hope Alonzo is simply taking a stroll but I doubt it. " As Danziger and Walman left the biosphere, Devon hurried after them. " I'm coming with you. " She stated as she hooked up her gear, " Are you monitoring Yale. "
" Yes Devon, I have you. Be careful, you are not heading towards Mary so we must assume Alonzo was lying about his conversation with the outcast. "
" We'll be careful. "
The three of them moved out, following the tracks left by Alonzo and soon were out of the camp.

Alonzo walked cautiously into the valley, he held tightly the pistol he had grabbed and searched the area.
" I am here, terrian! " he called out.
The ground shook slightly and a terrian erupted before him, reaching for him but Alonzo took a few hasty steps back. He lowered his head, reaching out with his mind to talk to the outcast. " I am here but you must keep to our agreement. I will not go with you till you release Julia. I have a weapon, it can kill you. " " I will keep our bargain. "
Alonzo opened his eyes to see the outcast reached down and pull from the ground an unconscious Julia.
" What have you done to her? " He cried as he rushed forward and knelt by her body. He felt quickly for a pulse and breathed in relief when he found it. He looked up at the outcast and understood what he had hoped to do, take Alonzo but return for the unconscious Julia later. Alonzo knew that he had been followed and that they would get to Julia before the outcast could return. He smiled grimly at the outcast and entered the dream plain.
" I am ready to go with you now. Julia will awaken and return safely to our camp. "
The outcast seemed puzzled sensing an emotion behind the human's words, a sense of victory. He could not see anything wrong with his plan so he nodded.
" It is time. You are mine now. I have the power. "

Danziger hurried around the corner, eyes following the marks left by Alonzo, he looked up briefly to scan the area and noted in shock the pair before him. Alonzo knelt before the terrian outcast. " Alonzo! " cried out Danziger as he began to run forward. The outcast looked up in anger at the man rushing down towards him, he must loose the woman he realised and now understood the human's emotion of winning. The outcast reached down and grabbed tightly the mans arm and with a quick action, moved them both into the earth. Danziger kept running, shocked at the quickness that the two had disappeared, he couldn't understand why Alonzo hadn't fought. Devon gasped out behind him,
" On the ground, I think it's Julia. " Danziger looked away from where the two had disappeared and spotted Julia. Alonzo must have been kneeling beside her. " She's alive. " exclaimed Devon as she found Julia breathing, " Let's get her back to camp, there is nothing we can do for Alonzo now. " Danziger gave one last look around at the deserted valley, then turned and helped the others carry Julia back to camp.

The outcast brought Alonzo to the cave they had visited on the dream plain and using the vines that had bound Julia, tied Alonzo to the cave wall. Alonzo tried to move, he strained to reached into his jacket pocket but the vines were too tightly secured, he could not move at all. The outcast approached him and reached out laying his hand over Alonzo's forehead and eyes. Alonzo was pushed into the dream plain, into another vision created by the outcast. Old memories were altered and changed, bringing pain and death to Alonzo who even though aware in one part of his mind that all was false, could not stop experiencing the full pain and horror. Alonzo struggled awake on occasions but again and again the outcast forced him back into his nightmares.

Julia regained consciousness slowly, aware that things had changed. She move her arms, enjoying their freedom and heard a voice call her name softly, " Julia. "
" Alonzo? " she croaked.
" No, it's Yale. Here, have some water. " Yale held a glass to her lips as she opened her eyes and looked around. She was in one of the cots in the biosphere, alone with Yale, " Thanks Yale. Where is everyone, where's Alonzo? " " They're outside, I'll get them. We need to ask you a few questions. " Yale returned with Devon, Danziger, Walman and Bess. " Julia, it's good to see you awake. How do you feel? " Devon asked. " Hungry, thirsty, a bit weak. Where's Alonzo. " It was Bess who answered her, " Alonzo was taken by the terrian outcast. "
" He traded himself didn't he? " Julia demanded. " I can't believe you let him do that. "
" We didn't, before we knew what was happening, Alonzo had gone. We tracked him but arrived too late. The outcast took him. We need to know all you remember, where you were held, anything? " stated Danziger.
" I remember being pulled into the ground but then I must have blacked out. I awoke in a cave, tied up with vines to the wall. The outcast lay his hand on my head but nothing happened, I think he was hoping I would dream like Alonzo but I couldn't. He left me alone after that, I think I did dream once. I recall seeing Alonzo in the cave talking to the terrian, talking about power and pain. I don't know it could have been a dream. After that the outcast left the cave, I don't know for how long but it seemed like days that I didn't see him until he suddenly returned and pulled me from the vines. He took me again through the ground, it knocks me out. The next thing I remember is waking up here and seeing Yale. "
" Can you think of anything that would tell us where the cave was? " Walman asked.
" No, I never saw outside it. I'm sorry. Did Alonzo have anything to tell you about the outcast, could the terrians help? " " The terrians won't help unless they are themselves threatened. Alonzo told us how the terrian came to be an outcast, but nothing as to where he could be found. He never gave any hint that the outcast was going to demand a trade. He may have kept other things from us. " Devon shrugged, unsure.
" Well, we know there is a cave involved, we just have to find it. I'm starting up the search parties again. We'll get Alonzo back from the outcast. " Danziger ended and soon Julia was left to Bess's care as the other joined the search.

The ship was exiting the space dock, the controls were on manual and everyone's lives were in Alonzo's hands. He eased the huge ship forward and began to clear the closing gates. He was nearly clear when disaster stuck, one of the gates knocked his ship, sending it crashing into another gate. This gate pierced the hull, atmosphere and oxygen were instantly lost. Alonzo was dying and he had killed all 250 syndrome families.
" No! " he cried as darkness descended. The scene changed and he was on the dream plane alone with the outcast.
" Please, stop this. I never did you any harm, leave my memories ALONE. " he pleaded as he lay exhausted on the ground. His head pounding from the constant dreaming, his system in shock from the echoes of pain and death.
" Please stop, leave me alone. "
The outcast only laughed, he halted suddenly when the dream plain was invaded by another. Mary erupted from the ground to stand between the outcast and Alonzo, her staff crackling with power. " The tribe will not let you use the dream plain any longer. You invade the mind of one who has been a friend to us, who has walked with us here in our place. You are banished from the dreaming. " Mary lowered her staff and struck the outcast, he collapsed to the ground and then was gone. Mary turned to Alonzo. " We can help you here in our dream plain but not outside it. You must looked to your people for help. The outcast will not return here, you are safe here, rest Alonzo. I will watch over you. " Mary squatted beside Alonzo in the dream plain and he closed his eyes, thankful not to have to experience any more altered memories.

The outcast stood over the sleeping man, again his plans were wrecked, but it did not matter. He did not need the dream plain to feel the power he lusted for. He could hurt the human physically and then he could kill the human. He moved back and squatted, he could wait, for when the human awoke he would feel true pain and true death.

It was night and the colonists had all returned to the camp, they had had no luck finding any sign of Alonzo and a feeling of despair was growing as each began to doubt they would find Alonzo alive. Morgan was the only one active, searching around inside the biosphere. Danziger quickly got fed up with Morgan's activities. " Morgan, sit down before I tie you to a chair. " " I'm just looking for my gear. " Morgan muttered, " I lent it to Alonzo. "
Yale looked up at this and quickly asked, " When was the last time you saw it? "
" When I gave it to Alonzo. "
" Then he must still have it. " Yale exclaimed. " We were all on gear for most of the day, Yale. " protested Danziger, " If Alonzo was using his gear, we would have heard him. " " He may have not been able to activate it. Julia said that the outcast tried to send her into the dream plain. If the outcast has kept Alonzo there for most of the time he would not be able to go online. It is a chance, John. I can recall Alonzo when he left and his gear was not visible. If he hid it then he must be hoping to activate it and give us a chance to track him. I think we should monitor the gear online all night. "
" It's a long shot, but the best we have. I'll take first watch. " Danziger decided.

The dream plain and Mary were gone and Alonzo awoke still bound in the cave and still a captive to the outcast. The outcast stood up and approached Alonzo, casually he reached out and placed his hand around Alonzo's upper arm. The outcast began to tighten his grasp. Alonzo cried out in pain as the grip on his arm grew tighter and tighter. The outcast seemed to grin as he brought his other hand up and wrapped it around Alonzo's other arm. He continued doing this, causing Alonzo to cry out in pain but he broke no bones and soon decided to try something new. The outcast caused the vines to loosen from Alonzo's hands and his arms felled down, aching with pain. While the outcast watched the pain in Alonzo's face, one of Alonzo's hands slipped into his pocket and finally he was able to activate his gear.

Walman dozed lightly beside the monitoring equipment, he did not notice the activation of the gear set and as no sound was being transmitted did not stirred as a video image filled one of the scenes.

The outcast pulled Alonzo down to the ground, forcing him to lie on his back and tying him down. From a collection resting on one of the cave shelves the outcast selected a sharp stone, he returned and squatted beside a struggling Alonzo. The outcast carefully placed the edge of the stone on Alonzo's chest then pushed down.

A scream echoed in the biosphere causing Walman to jump and tumble from the chair he rested in. He was already activating his gear as he pulled himself up and hurried to the monitoring equipment. " I've got something! " he called, alerting everyone who had left their gear on. " Trying to track the signal now. " People began to hurry into the biosphere, Devon and Danziger both rushed in rubbing sleep from their eyes, Julia was just before them, tired but alert and fully dressed. Another scream erupted from the open line, freezing every one in shock. " Damn! " jerked Danziger, trying not to think what was happening to Alonzo. " Come on Walman, where's the signal coming from? " " Just getting it now .... I've got it , final co-ordinates and the signal is stationary. "
" Let's move, grab a weapon and we'll take the four-seater. " Julia had not said a word though she had paled alarmingly at hearing Alonzo's cry of pain. Now she spoke,
" Give me a second, I need to grab my dia-glove and a med kit before we leave. "
" I'm coming. " Devon added.
" No, you are not. I need people who can handle a weapon, Baines and Walman will go with us. Any more and we'll have trouble bringing Alonzo back. Stay here and monitor the signal, if it moves even a metre, I want to know and lets us know if you get a clear visual. Okay, we're leaving. "

Alonzo had stopped struggling, he had not the strength. He tried to remain conscious, knowing that he had to make a noise to let the others know that he was on the other end of the gear. But it was getting harder, his chest felt like a pin cushion, the outcast had left some stones implanted in him and removed others, causing many small wounds that bled. He felt weak and dizzy from the pain and lose of blood. Every breath he took caused a wave of agony to rise up within him and he had began to cough up blood. He was afraid he didn't have much time left. The outcast, thrilled by the power, lent forward and lay a hand on the man's chest. He pushed slightly and listened as the man cried out.
" Julia! "

It was a grim faced foursome that assembled at the cave entrance, it had taken them an hour to find and reach the cave. An hour punctuated by the cries of their friend as he suffered from a mad outcast.
" Okay Julia, let us go first then follow. Baines, Walman, if you see the outcast, shoot him. Lets go. "
Danziger led the way as the three men went into the passage first, closely followed by Julia. He crept carefully around the corners, weapon at the ready and eased them deeper into the tunnel. Finally they heard Alonzo's voice echoing though the caves. Danziger leaned carefully forward and slowly looked around the next bend. He found himself looking into a small cavern, Alonzo was tied to the ground and the outcast knelt beside him. The outcast had his back to Danziger and was between Danziger and Alonzo. Danziger eased back and in whispers told the others, both there and back in camp the situation. It was decided to strike now, before the outcast was aware of them and could disappear back into the earth. With Walman beside him in the small tunnel, Danziger swung into the cave and both of them instantly fired at the outcast.

At the first hint of movement the outcast had turned, he watched in shock as two men erupted into his cave. His shock turned to fear and disbelief as he saw them activate their weapons. He felt pain as he was hit in the chest by two laser jolts, and the darkness he had watched so often in Alonzo's mind reached up and surrounded him. The terrian outcast fell to the ground dead and the earth did not take him. It rejected his body and now his spirit was an outcast.

Julia rushed forward as soon as the outcast was down and knelt beside Alonzo. She looked in horror at the damage done to his chest, running over him with her dia-glove she found that he was severely injured. " We can't move him, not until I get him stable. I need some heat in here, can you start a fire? " she asked. " No problem. Baines, Walman, you two want to get on that. " The two men left and Danziger knelt down beside Julia. He shook his head at the sight before him,
" Will he live? " he asked.
" If I'm lucky and he doesn't get an infection or any complications. His system can't handle much more. I need your help, when I tell you too I want you to pull out the stones. "
" What ever you need, doc. "
Julia quickly dealt with the bleeding wounds, cauterising them and stopping the bleeding. She also gave Alonzo a pain block then she and Danziger got to work. He would remove one of the embedded stones and Julia would quickly deal with the wound. Finally they were finished.
" He has over forty wounds on his chest, the depth varied from scratches to 12 cm. It was lucky that none of these struck any major organs, his left lung was pierced but the outcast left the stone in, saving Alonzo from suffocating in his own blood. He has a few more internal injuries. There is massive bruising on both arms and he is suffering from hunger and thirst. I've got him stable but I don't want him moved for at least 12 hours. I need to monitor him closely in case infection or pneumonia set in. That's it. " reported Julia. " Morgan and I will come up in a few hours with supplies. " Devon replied. " We'll talk to you then, take good care of him Julia. Adair out. "

Walman and Baines kept watch while Danziger and Julia looked after Alonzo. He did not recover consciousness and the 12 hours passed. They travelled carefully back to camp, meeting no one and seeing no sign of the terrians. The colonists were all wondering how the terrians felt at their killing one of them, even if he was an outcast.

The camp was quiet even though it was early afternoon. Julia hadn't left Alonzo's side as she carefully monitored his health. He had regained the blood he had lost and been filled with nutrients and liquids. She has also given him antibiotics to fight off any infections and so far he showed no sign of any. Finally Alonzo stirred.

He opened his eyes gradually as his memory returned, he had been held by the outcast terrian and he had been in pain. He felt none now, just aches in his chest, arms and head. He looked around, realising that he was in the biosphere and turned his head carefully to find Julia sitting beside him. She was watching her bio-glove as it rested against him. For a moment he felt himself fill with joy to find himself back with his friends then he remember other times, other memories that had gone horribly wrong. He waited to see what would happen. Julia looked up and broke into a huge smile to find Alonzo awake. She reached out and gently combed his fringe with her fingers. " Hey, how you doing? " she quietly asked. " I feel like I've been run over by a transrover. " " I'm not surprised after what you have been though. " A memory flashed through Alonzo's mind of sharp stones and he pulled away from it and the pain of it. He concentrated on Julia. " What happen to the outcast? "
" Danziger and Walman shot him, he's dead. We aren't sure about the terrians reaction but we haven't heard from them. " " Mary helped me while the outcast had me, I don't think the terrians will do anything. The outcast was no longer of their tribe. " " I hope so, I think all of us could do with some rest. " Alonzo slowly realised that these events were not an echo of anything in his past, therefore they were not a twisted dream forced on him by the terrian. He was safe and back with his friends. He reached out and grabbed Julia's hand.
" I am so glad I can do this. "
" You still need to rest. "
" Stay with me Julia. I haven't had a good night sleep in over a week. " " I'll be here Alonzo, don't worry. I'll be here until you wake. "

-The End-


copyright@daniela signor - 1995


# Do you want me to spell it for you? Daniela Signor #
# - Alonzo Solace R.M.I.T #
# Melbourne, Australia #
# danni@rmit.edu.au #


This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.