CIRCLE OF LIFE
By
Deb Wilson


Timeline: Years after
Author's E-Mail: DWilson163@aol.com


Circle of Life
by
Debra Wilson

"A baby....you're sure..." Alonzo sank onto the couch, suddenly feeling his age.

Julia gave him a stern look. "All right, all right! I believe you!" He raised his hands in surrender.

"Now I know it's a shock. We weren't expecting it just yet," she began, watching him with some concern. "But it was bound to happen eventually."

She sat down next to him as he leaned back, staring up at the ceiling of their living room. "I know, I just don't want to think about it yet," he replied, letting the idea sink in.

"Who else knows?" he asked, meeting her gaze. "I imagine just about half the colony by now," sighed Julia, sinking back against the couch. "Bess dropped by when Elizabeth and I were discussing the results.."

Alonzo shook his head, knowing how well Bess liked the idea of babies, even though she had had several of her own. Suddenly he turned his head to stare at her. "How are you with this?"

"Better than you," she replied, she smiled. "I was half-afraid to tell you." "Why?" He sat up, turning to look at her. "I was just remembering...."
"That was a long time ago," he replied. "Besides...you scared me half to death when they brought you in the hospital that day."

Julia laughed. "I remember waking up and you sitting there....you were paler than I was!"

"A nursery, crib...." Alonzo shook his head. "I don't think I have the energy for this again!"

"You had plenty of energy last night," Julia whispered in his ear. He grinned.

"That was different," he replied, reaching to pull her onto his lap. "So you're okay with this," she wrapped her arms around his neck, meeting his gaze squarely.

"I'm happy!" he swore. "You're happy, right?" Julia smiled. "Not afraid of growing old, flyboy?" "Who's old?" he mock-growled, stealing a kiss. "I was twice your age when we got married."

"But now it's official," she whispered, a finger tracing his lower lip. "Grandpa."

"Grandpa....." he leaned back, pulling her with him. "All right, Grandma." Julia giggled as he began to tickle her. She slapped his arms, squirming free and backing away. "Stop that! Now you have to act surprised when Elizabeth and Michael announce it tonight at dinner."

"I promise. Why'd you tell me now, anyway?" "To make sure you were over the shock. I remember when you found out about our twins," she replied. "I didn't want a repeat of that."

"Of what? I was happy about them!" he protested, rising. "You sat stock still for 10 minutes, just staring straight ahead," reminded Julia. "I thought you'd had a stroke!"

Alonzo reached out and drew his wife back into his arms. "It was a surprise," he admitted. "But a very welcome one, just like this. When she's due?"

"I'll let her tell you that," replied Julia, relaxing in his arms. "Are you sorry you stayed?"

"Never," he replied. "This is one hell of a ride, lady. I wouldn't trade it for anything."

-The End-




This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.